• Why do men serve God?

Glen sent me this email:

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Mar 6 at 2:01 AM

The Book of Job

Often, the overriding question of the Book of Job is said to be

“Why do good men suffer?”

However, the Book of Job never answers this question.

In Job 1 Satan has a different question.

9 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? 10 Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”

Summing up what Satan is claiming:

Job serves God because God has met all his needs.

Satan accuses Job before God that Job serves God for what he gets out of serving God.

The actual question addressed in the Book of Job is, “Why do men serve God?”

Adam and Eve, when in the Garden of Eden, had all their needs met.

Yet, they disobeyed God.

Why do men serve God?

Glen writes:
    Often, the overriding question of the Book of Job is said to be

“Why do good men suffer?”

However, the Book of Job never answers this question.
    The book of Job does answer this question, and answers it very well.

Job

42 Then Job replied to the Lord:

2 “I know that you can do all things;
    no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
    3 You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’
    Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me to know.

4 “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me.’
    5 My ears had heard of you
    but now my eyes have seen you.

6 Therefore I despise myself
    and repent in dust and ashes.”
    Job had heard of God but had never seen Him.

But after Job suffered so very much and because of his suffering he sought God with all his heart. Job wanted to understand why God had allowed this to take place. Because of his suffering Job now had seen God. What would that not be worth, to actually see God. It was worth all of his suffering to see God.

I remember times of great suffering in my life. The result was before I had heard that God was like this or like that, but after I knew God and even seen Him.

To be touched by God, personally, is worth any suffering we may have to go through.

I remember in a fit of temper I acted very stupid and tried to run my fists through a wall. Unknown to me there was a piece of 1" thick plywood at that point instead of 1/4" thick lath. I broke a bone in my hand. My girlfriend, who I was in love with, seen the whole thing which made it much worse. The pain was terrific. I had just been fired for refusing to take a likeness of Jesus off of my desk. So I had no health care. I did not know what to do, and just suffered with the pain.

Me and my girlfriend decided to visit a church, I think in a small town of Marlborough. On the way into the church she said she had terrific sore throat. I offered to take her back home, but she wanted to go in now that we had drove all that way. My hand was swollen, black and blue and throbbing with pain.

The preacher was a white haired man and I did not like his attitude at all. He yelled out, " Anyone who needs a healing from God,put their hand up". I thought to myself, " I would not put my hand up, because if Jesus healed me you would take the credit for it." Suddenly I was aware that Jesus was standing right behind me, and I sensed ,in the spirit, that He put His hand on my right shoulder. He said, " Don't you want me to touch you son". My hand shot up into the air immediately.

Immediately I felt something warm go down my arm and the pain in my hand was gone. I wondered, is this really happening or and I imagining this. I put my other hand on my girlfriends neck and felt that same warmth go down that arm to her neck. She immediately turned around and with eyes wide open, said, " My sore throat is gone". I thought then that I was not imagining this, and I took my broken hand down and looked at it with shock. The black and blue was gone. The swelling was all gone. The pain was all gone. The bone which had been bent at a 90 degree angle was now straight. The knuckle of that finger was now back in place. Jesus had healed my hand in a second.

The best part was not that the pain was gone, or that I would not have a deformed hand. The best part was being touched by the Creator of everything that exists. To think that The Lord Jesus would come down and touch me to heal my hand ,which I had done is a stupid fit of rage, was almost more than I could bear. It was worth any pain or suffering, to be touched by Him.

Comment

Working...
    X