Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the Bible, Enoch, is a good person, why does Enoch write a book but it’s almost an evil thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the Bible, Enoch, is a good person, why does Enoch write a book but it’s almost an evil thing?

In the Bible, Enoch, is a good person like God and he is a trusted one, why does Enoch write a book but it’s almost an evil thing?

Lou Newton
    Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

All men are liars and many say things that are not true. Just because the author of a book claims to be Enoch does not mean that he was Enoch. In fact Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible because he could read and write. These books were probably handed down with great care orally. Parents taught their children these books until they had them correct word for word.

I read the Bible every day and the whole thing seems to be from the same author, who is The Holy Spirit of God. But when I read the book of Enoch it did not seem to be from that same Author. I do not think Enoch wrote the Book of Enoch. That is the reason it is not included in the Bible except for the RCC Bible.

1 view Answer requested by John ...............

I apologize for my mistake in stating the Book of Enoch was included in the RCC Bible. I had read the Book of Enoch many years ago from a Bible; but it was an Eastern Orthodox Bible.

I thank Glen for this correction:

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Nov 12 at 3:30 AM

Book of Enoch

The RCC does not include the Book of Enoch.

The early church began to use the OT apocrypha and other books, such as 1 Enoch, as early as the second century. The New Testament contains three references to Enoch.

The first is a brief mention in one of the genealogies of the ancestors of Jesus by Luke (Luke 3:37).

The second mention is in Hebrews 11:5 which says, "By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God." This suggests he did not experience the mortal death ascribed to Adam's other descendants which is consistent with Genesis 5:24, which says, "And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him."

The third mention is in the Epistle of Jude (1:14-15) where the author attributes to "Enoch, the Seventh from Adam" a passage unknown in the Old Testament. The quotation is believed by most modern scholars to be taken from 1 Enoch 1:9 which exists in Greek, in Ethiopic as part of the Ethiopian Orthodox canon and also in Aramaic among the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The Oriental Orthodox Church includes the Book of Enoch. The Book of Enoch was probably written in the second century BC. The question is not whether it is authentic, but whether it is inspired.

The book 1 Enoch is a pseudepigraph. In other words, it was not written by the author–Enoch. Enoch lived before Noah, and today, no one believes that the book was actually written earlier than during the second temple period. This reason–that the book has a falsely claimed authorship–may be sufficient reason to reject any claim to inspiration of the book.

It is difficult to determine if at the time of its appearance, those who read the Book of Enoch believed it was actually written by Enoch. This pseudepigraph style of Jewish literature was popular during the period of the second temple. Generally, pseudepigraph literature was known to be written using a pseudonym of a character that could have known the information recorded in the book. Writing using a pseudonym was an acceptable literal device. This same type of literature appeared as New Testament Gospels claiming authorship by an apostle. The difference between the pseudepigraphic gospels and the Old Testament pseudepigraphs were in the purpose of the material. The New Testament gospel pseudepigraphs were attempts to establish heretical beliefs.

The purpose of the Book of Enoch seems to be the filling in of background material that was part of rabbinical explanations for the stories and references in the Bible that needed more explanation to be understood. Possibly, the Book of Enoch derives from oral traditions rather than from the writers imigination. The Book of Enoch is probably a compilation of these rabbinical explanations and is why it is referenced by New Testament writers and remains a resource for Bible students wishing to understand the scripture from the viewpoint of ancient Judaism and Christianity.

The old scribe 12 November 2019

Comment

Working...
    X