• Show
Clear All

• The Holy Spirit

Glen sent this email:

Glen B Smith
    To:lou newton

Jan 20 at 2:56 PM
    Holy Spirit is neither optional nor resistible

The unbeliever always denies or resists the Holy Spirit.
    The believer will follow the Holy Spirit or suffer consequences.

For the believer, following the Holy Spirit is neither optional nor resistible – at least not without consequences. This should not be taken to mean that the work of the Holy Spirit with believes cannot be thwarted, but resistance should be taken to mean not forever resisted.

The Lord Jesus prayed to the Father, "While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled" (John 17:12).

Soon after this the Lord Jesus ascended to the Father leaving these followers to whom He spoke. He sent the paraclete (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7) in His place (Acts 2). We might ought to assume the sending of the Holy Spirit (paraclete) was more beneficial for His followers, than if the Lord Jesus had remained visibly present on Planet Earth. This assumption arises because, clearly, according to the New Testament the apostles were more successful disciples with the Holy Spirit than they had been before, when they walked with the Lord Jesus.
    The following New Testament passages indicate that believers submit to and are aided by the Holy Spirit. Such passages are an encouragement to believers in that the scriptures reveal they are never adrift or alone in this world.

Faith is trusting and believing what the LORD has revealed in scripture, rather than letting the circumstances or failures define our spiritual condition. Believers can be certain the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is always intervening, even when believers aren't trying.

Be bold! Test the truth of this claim by assuming its veracity.
    Read and believe.

Hebrews 6:18 English Standard Version (ESV)
    so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.

1 Thessalonians 5:24 English Standard Version (ESV)
    He who calls you is faithful; he (God) will surely do it.

1 Corinthians 10:13 English Standard Version (ESV)
    No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he (God) will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Titus 3:5 English Standard Version (ESV)
    God our Savior, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 6:11 English Standard Version (ESV)
    And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 1:7c-8 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Our Lord Jesus Christ who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jude 24 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy,

Ephesians 3:20 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Now to him (Lord Jesus Christ) who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,

2 Corinthians 9:8 English Standard Version (ESV)
    And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

Ephesians 1:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
    even as he (God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ) chose us in him (the Lord Jesus Christ) before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him (God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ). In love

Ephesians 5:27 English Standard Version (ESV)
    so that he (the Lord Jesus Christ) might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.

2 Timothy 1:9 English Standard Version (ESV)
    God who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Romans 8:28 English Standard Version (ESV)
    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

1 Corinthians 7:17 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches.

Colossians 1:22 English Standard Version (ESV)
    He (His beloved son) has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him (His beloved son),

1 Thessalonians 3:11-13 English Standard Version (ESV)
    Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, 12 and may the Lord (Jesus) make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, 13 so that he (Lord Jesus) may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.

Philippians 1:6 English Standard Version (ESV)
    And I am sure of this, that he (God) who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 5:5 English Standard Version (ESV)
    you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.

Philippians 2:15 English Standard Version (ESV)
    that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,

Galatians 5:18, 21-24 English Standard Version (ESV)
    18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law . . .
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

17 January 2020 the old scribe

Last edited by Lou Newton; January 20, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Hi Glen,

The unbeliever always denies or resists the Holy Spirit.
    The believer will follow the Holy Spirit or suffer consequences.
    I would question this statement. The unbeliever almost always resists the Holy Spirit,. The donkey was not a believer but spoke exactly what the Holy Spirit wanted. The Chief Priest spoke the exact words that The Holy Spirit wanted when He made the statement that it was better for one man to die than a whole nation. But you are correct that they resist the Holy Spirit almost always.

For the believer, following the Holy Spirit is neither optional nor resistible – at least not without consequences. This should not be taken to mean that the work of the Holy Spirit with believes cannot be thwarted, but resistance should be taken to mean not forever resisted.
    I get your point, but I also believe that most believers resist The Holy Spirit more than they follow Him. Evidence of that is the state of our nation. The church has not brought deliverance to our land. Also we are told in the scripture to not resist The Holy Spirit which means that we do ,or it would not need to be said.

Soon after this the Lord Jesus ascended to the Father leaving these followers to whom He spoke. He sent the paraclete (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7) in His place (Acts 2). We might ought to assume the sending of the Holy Spirit (paraclete) was more beneficial for His followers, than if the Lord Jesus had remained visibly present on Planet Earth. This assumption arises because, clearly, according to the New Testament the apostles were more successful disciples with the Holy Spirit than they had been before, when they walked with the Lord Jesus.
    1 - There were people who had the Holy Spirit before that time.

Luke 1

5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. 7 But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old.

11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

61 They said to her, “There is no one among your relatives who has that name.”

62 Then they made signs to his father, to find out what he would like to name the child. 63 He asked for a writing tablet, and to everyone’s astonishment he wrote, “His name is John.” 64 Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue set free, and he began to speak, praising God. 65 All the neighbors were filled with awe, and throughout the hill country of Judea people were talking about all these things. 66 Everyone who heard this wondered about it, asking, “What then is this child going to be?” For the Lord’s hand was with him.

67 His father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied:

Of course we also have the prophets of the OT:

2 Peter 1

20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

We also have David and others:

Psalm 51

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Comment

2 - Jesus

Comment

Working...
      X