• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we ever called to judge the actions of others

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Feb 5 at 10:54 PM
    Admonition by Christian Liberals

"I am a Christian and God wants me to love everybody. What I teach my children is to love all human beings. When you vote it does not matter whether it's a woman or if it's a man or if they're heterosexual or homosexual, if you believe in what they say?"

Two issues with this position:

First, the assumption is made that to love everybody includes accepting their values, ethics, morality, and lifestyle.

Second, the assumption is made that to love everybody prohibits biblical discernment or judgment.

Biblical love is not an emotion, neither the divine love nor human love. Biblical love is defined by service, commitment, and loyalty.
    When the word love is replaced with service, commitment, and loyalty, the liberal argument would read as follows:
    I am a Christian and God wants me to serve, be committed, and be loyal to everybody.
    The question for this Christian liberal is to ask, "Do you really teach your children to serve, be committed, and be loyal to all human beings? Or, do you actual mean to be respectful regarding your behavior and not to make a biblical moral judgment on peoples lifestyles?"

Furthermore, biblical love begins with a changed life in Christ so as to be of a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
    1 Timothy 1.5 ESV "The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith."
    For the believer a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith cannot be separated from following what is revealed in scripture.

The demand to love as the world loves by liberals is the same kind of argument pseudo Christians and non-Christians use to claim Christians are commanded not to judge based upon Matthew 7:1-2 ESV. “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
    I think that when it is our turn to decide, to play the judgment card (Matthew 7:1) is irresponsible. The common assertion made about judging is simply false, as the Bible clearly does not speak out against passing judgment in general, but against rendering inaccurate and unfair judgments (Proverbs 24:23; 31:9; John 7:24). In Matthew 7:6 Jesus does not forbid removing the speck from the other’s eye, but to be sure, we are not deceived (log in our own eye) before removing the speck. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 2:15 that Christians are called to make “judgments about all things.” Our judgment, though, should not be based on what God has not revealed, rather on what he has revealed and not on human wisdom alone (v. 13). If we as Christians really want to follow our Lord’s teaching to love our neighbors, we cannot escape our responsibility to warn them about the spiritually destructive roads paved by non-Christian belief systems (Proverbs 14:12). Let us realize that when we call teachings into question, it is only because we are concerned about the eternal destinies of people — they are not personal attacks. Let us also keep in mind that Scripture does not command us to go out and rail against false teachings; rather, it encourages us to offer biblical reasons with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15). And remember that tolerance when it comes to personal relationships is a virtue, but tolerance is not approval or acceptance.

======================
    Scriptures on the Duty to Judge Rightly

Jesus says, that the judgment we pass on others will be the minimum standard by which God will judge us.
    "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-3

Jesus says that we should judge what is right, thereby implying that we also know what is wrong.
    "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?" Luke 12:56-58

We should judge according to God's righteous nature and not by man's ideas.
    "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment." John 7:23-25

This is an example of Paul being asked to make a judgment on a believer. "And when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, 'If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay.' And she prevailed upon us."
    Acts 16:14-16

Paul speaks about one who has sinned in the church and that he has already judged him. "For I, on my part, though absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged him who has so committed this, as though I were present." I Corinthians 5:2-4

To do what does this passage require, which is be to remove the wicked man from us, we must be able to judge that he is wicked. "But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES." I Corinthians 5:12-14

Paul in this passage is telling Christians that they are competent to judge and that they must do so.
    "Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts?"
    I Corinthians 6:1-3

Here, Paul is saying that since we shall be given the task of judging even the angels, then, it is even surer that we should be the judges of the matters of this earthly life.
    "Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?"
    I Corinthians 6: 2-4

Paul in this passage is commenting on those in the church who are officially appointed to judge the members of the church.
    "So, if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church?"
    I Corinthians 6:3-5

Paul is asking his listeners to judge his own words.
    "I speak as to wise men; you judge what I say."
    I Corinthians 10:14-16

We may judge behavior based upon God's revealed judgment of certain sins. So, we may denounce such sin. Two examples follow: (1)"Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge." Hebrews 13:3-5 (2)"Immorality Must Be judged I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people." I Corinthians 5:8-10

Judgment by God has already occurred to those who reject His salvation in Christ Jesus. "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." John 3:17-19

05 February 2020 the old scribe
    Hi Glen,

I agree with this. We are certainly not commanded to accept the immorality of others. We are to accept them as human beings, but not their immorality.

We can judge the obvious actions of others IF we are following His Holy Spirit. But we can never judge the heart of another. Jesus alone is the Judge of another's heart.

Working...
X