breaking bread and the cup of consolation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking bread and the cup of consolation

I'm reading in Jeremiah. I have a wee little KJV translation that I like because it is comfortable in the hand. It has extremely small print, very thin pages, and no commentary. But it has a very nice feature: in the margin there are cross-references to related scriptures for each verse. Occasionally it prints alternate translation suggestions for some words or phrases. I've gained some delightful gems and nuggets from this little book.

KJV
    Jer 16:7 Neither shall men tear [themselves] for them in mourning, to comfort them for the dead; neither shall [men] give them the cup of consolation to drink for their father or for their mother.

The little book suggests "break bread for them" in lieu of "tear [themselves]".

I see that some other translations have favored the "break bread" meaning. So does Septuagint. Of course, it made me think of the sacrament of communion that we are given.

Cross-references:
    breaking bread - Eze 24:17; Hos 9:4; Deu 26:14; Job 42:11
    cup of consolation - Pro 31:6

Strong's:
    H6536
    פָּרַס
    pâras
    paw-ras'
    A primitive root; to break in pieces, that is, (usually without violence) to split, distribute: - deal, divide, have hoofs, part, tear.
    Total KJV occurrences: 14

King James Concordance:
    divideth, 5
    Lev 11:4-6 (3), Lev 11:26, Deu 14:8
    divide, 4
    Lev 11:4, Deu 14:7 (3)
    parteth, 2
    Lev 11:3, Deu 14:6
    deal, 1
    Isa 58:6-7 (2)
    hoofs, 1
    Psa 69:31
    tear, 1
    Jer 16:7

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
    I'm reading in Jeremiah. I have a wee little KJV translation that I like because it is comfortable in the hand. It has extremely small print, very thin pages, and no commentary. But it has a very nice feature: in the margin there are cross-references to related scriptures for each verse. Occasionally it prints alternate translation suggestions for some words or phrases. I've gained some delightful gems and nuggets from this little book.

KJV
    Jer 16:7 Neither shall men tear [themselves] for them in mourning, to comfort them for the dead; neither shall [men] give them the cup of consolation to drink for their father or for their mother.

The little book suggests "break bread for them" in lieu of "tear [themselves]".

I see that some other translations have favored the "break bread" meaning. So does Septuagint. Of course, it made me think of the sacrament of communion that we are given.

Cross-references:
    breaking bread - Eze 24:17; Hos 9:4; Deu 26:14; Job 42:11
    cup of consolation - Pro 31:6

Strong's:
    H6536
    פָּרַס
    pâras
    paw-ras'
    A primitive root; to break in pieces, that is, (usually without violence) to split, distribute: - deal, divide, have hoofs, part, tear.
    Total KJV occurrences: 14

King James Concordance:
    divideth, 5
    Lev 11:4-6 (3), Lev 11:26, Deu 14:8
    divide, 4
    Lev 11:4, Deu 14:7 (3)
    parteth, 2
    Lev 11:3, Deu 14:6
    deal, 1
    Isa 58:6-7 (2)
    hoofs, 1
    Psa 69:31
    tear, 1
    Jer 16:7
    Thanks Barry, interesting..............hopefully someone can add to this and shed even more light..............Lou

Comment

Working...
    X