Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we appreciate Heaven?

Just something I was wondering....

Will we appreciate Heaven when we're there? The reason why we treasure the good things in life is because evil exists. But in a place where everything is good, will we be able to appreciate it?

(I know Heaven is about being with Christ and isn't about "good and evil", but that's the only description I can think of right now.)

Originally posted by The Knight View Post
    Just something I was wondering....

Will we appreciate Heaven when we're there? The reason why we treasure the good things in life is because evil exists. But in a place where everything is good, will we be able to appreciate it?

(I know Heaven is about being with Christ and isn't about "good and evil", but that's the only description I can think of right now.)

Good question Karl !

I think when we finally arrive in heaven, the reality of being with Jesus and actually seeing Him with our eyes, hearing Him with our ears, and Him touching us with His hands will be almost more than we will be able to bear. The thankfulness and joy will be so great we will not be able to contain it. We will overflow with worship for what he has done for us and how much he loves us.

The actual reality of the beauty, truth, love, and joy of heaven will be so powerful that we might not be able to even remember the earth and the evil that was on it.

The Revelation 4
    The Throne in Heaven

1 After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”
    2 At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it.
    3 And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne.
    4 Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads.
    5 From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.
    6 Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal. In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back.
    7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle.
    8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: “ ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’who was, and is, and is to come.”
    9 Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever,
    10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
    11 “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

Think of the joy of the reality of seeing and hearing everyone worshiping The Lord Jesus instead of watching the world mock Him.

The Revelation 5
    The Scroll and the Lamb

1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals.
    2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?”
    3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.
    4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.
    5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”
    6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
    7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne.
    8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.
    And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
    10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.”
    11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.
    12 In a loud voice they were saying: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!”
    14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

Think of how wonderful it will be to be there when the above takes place.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; March 10, 2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Here are some edifying things to ponder, brother Karl. Because that is a very good question, and it should be pondered, and the speculation should be edifying.

Isa 64:4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.

1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

What we learn from the Holy Spirit by the scriptures and our fellowship with one another and with the Lord convinces us the He is good. He does not lie. He is faithful, and does what He says He will do.

There is Truth, there is a reality of which we experience but a shadow.

Years ago a business owner took me out to dinner. I ate a very expensive slice of pineapple for desert. I'd had the thing called pineapple before, and I really liked it. But I thought, who would pay so much for a slice of pineapple!? I could not fathom it. Well, he recommended it and there was something peculiar in the expectation behind it. When I tasted it, it was so bright and full and sweet I was beyond astonished: it was like the taste was everywhere, not just my mouth.

Even though I'd had delicious pineapple before that, it was the mere shadow of the expensive pineapple. I was incapable of imagining such an experience as the expensive pineapple. I understood then: given an opportunity, I would pay the price for another slice without hesitation.

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

I have heard people criticize John's vision in Rev 5. They said from that account heaven would be an exceedingly boring place. Of course, they were not thinking. I question whether they have ever had a taste of the Lord's goodness. Surely if they had, they would want more. They would try to imagine more, and know that they cannot imagine big enough. What about asking this: What could possibly justify such a scene as that in Rev 5, where those present give praise and glory to God with such openness, adoration, and enthusiasm? I can give a logical answer, and an emotional one, possibly even a spiritual one. But my shadowy, vain imagination cannot possibly conjure up anything approaching heavenly reality: that it must be an exceedingly obvious, pleasing, agreeable, delightful and pure thing to pay homage to the Creator and Savior because we are simply in His presence. It will be obvious, it will make sense, it will far exceed our expectations.

I really enjoy the testimonies of Henry Gruver. Henry was dead, and he was brought back to life by the Lord. Amazing story, but I won't try to detail it. I couldn't do it justice. I will see if I can find it, and post a thread. Henry said that he felt more alive outside his body than in it. This was news to me. I had not imagined such a thing. Something to ponder.

Henry told another vision which he calls Six Hours in Heaven. It reminded me partly of the scene in Rev 5. But it went beyond, and described things that were incredibly delightful: the streets, the saint's robe, creatures in the new creation, singing. Some people like to boast, "I can imagine pretty big!" I used to think so, but Henry's vision is completely on another level. I will try and locate and post this one, too. My jaw was hanging, and it was only a short tale. What gets me is I know that even that is just a shadow of what will be.

What could be so great about heaven? What could possibly be so eternally worth everything? How about God, face to face, and knowing Him even as we are known (1Co 13:12).

How about God singing? Did you ever think that God sings with joy? Would you even dream that God sings with joy over His people?

Zep 3:17 The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

Imagine that. Imagine singing with Him and all the host of heaven. Again, what we imagine can only be a shadow of what will be. That shadow, which we see, is cast by that which we can't yet see in His full glory.
      Last edited by Baruch; March 11, 2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Good comment Barry.

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Those who have not experienced The Lord will expect heaven to be boring. BUT those who have experienced The Lord will expect heaven to be wonderful.

I am 72 and have experienced many things in my life both good and bad.

The greatest experience I have ever had is when I am filled with thankfulness for what The Lord Jesus has done for me. Any time The Lord touches me, or speaks to me, I am filled with joy. We can not make ourselves thankful and we are not told to be thankful. Instead we are told to give thanks. There is a difference.

Psalm 118
        1Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.

Think of that, His love endures forever. No one else will love you forever. Jesus always has loved you and always will love you without any gaps or without end.

1 Thessalonians 5 16 Rejoice always,
        17 pray continually,
        18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Notice the above scriptures does not tell us to be thankful, but to give thanks to the Lord.

Sometimes I do not feel like giving thanks to the Lord. Someone may have lost a child or a spouse, and so they do not feel thankful. Those are our worse moments. When we are not feeling thankful we are in the pits of despair. God does not tell us to give thanks for His good, but He tells us to give thanks for our good.

We we give thanks, that act of giving thanks is like the engine that pulls a feeling of thanksgiving into us like a caboose of a train. God gives us this feeling of thankfulness by His grace. When we are thankful we are on a mountain top with Him. We are conformed to being more like Jesus. We are filled with joy.

Giving thanks to The Lord makes us thankful. Being thankful conforms us to the image of The Lord.

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!”

We will be giving praise to The Lord Jesus forever and forever in heaven without stopping.

This will fill us with thankfulness beyond our imagination. We will be so filled with joy that we can not imagine it while we are flesh.

Everyone on earth seeks happiness. They seek someone to love them, take drugs, etc to seek happiness. But happiness depends on what happens to us. When things do not go our way, we are miserable.

But we will be giving thanks to The Lord continually in heaven and therefore we will be filled with joy. Joy does not depend of happenings, but on knowing The Creator of everything that exists loves us, and always will.

Joy is much better than happiness. We will be completely fulfilled.

Yes Karl, Will we appreciate Heaven. But much more we will appreciate The Lord Jesus and how He loves us.

Comment

Working...
        X