Is repentance always accepted by the LORD? #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is repentance always accepted by the LORD? #1

Beginning in Numbers 13 the account of the spies sent into the Promised Land for 40 days. Ten of the twelve spies reported any invasion would be unsuccessful.

The remainder of the story is in Numbers 14.

2 All the Israelis complained against Moses and Aaron. Then the entire assembly responded, “We wish that we had died in Egypt or in this wilderness. 3 What’s the point in the Lord bringing us to this land? To die by the sword so our wives and children would become war victims? Wouldn'’t it be better for us to return to Egypt?” 4 Then they told each other, “Let’s assign a leader and go back to Egypt.” 10 But the entire congregation was talking about stoning (Joshua and Caleb) them to death (Numbers 14:2-4, 10a).

The Judgment of the LORD.

Suddenly, the glory of the Lord appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all of the Israelis. 11 “How long will this people keep on spurning me and refusing to trust me, despite all the miracles that I’ve done among them?” the Lord asked Moses (Numbers 14:10b-11).

22 none of those men who saw my glory and watched my miracles that I did in Egypt and in the wilderness—even though they’ve tested me these ten times and never listened to my voice— 23 will ever see the land that I promised to their ancestors. Those who spurned me won’t see it.”

25 Now the Amalekite and the Canaanite live in the valley. Tomorrow, turn and then travel to the wilderness in the direction of the Reed Sea.”

“29 Your corpses will fall in this wilderness—every single one of you who has been counted among you, according to your number from 20 years and above, who complained against me. 30 You will certainly never enter the land about which I made an oath with my uplifted hand to settle you in it, except for Jephunneh’s son Caleb and Nun’s son Joshua.

32 “Now as for you, your corpses will fall in this wilderness 33 and your children will wander throughout the wilderness for 40 years. They’ll bear the consequences of your idolatries until your bodies are entirely consumed in the wilderness. 34 Just as you explored the land for 40 days, you’ll bear the consequences of your iniquities for 40 years—one year for each day—as you experience my hostility. 35 I, the Lord, have spoken. I will indeed do this to this evil congregation, who gathered together against me. They’ll be eliminated in this wilderness and will surely die.”
    36 After this, the men whom Moses sent out to explore the land, who returned and made the whole congregation complain against him by bringing an evil report concerning the land, 37 and who produced an evil report about the land, died of pestilence in the Lord’s presence.

Israel’s change of mind or repentance came too late.

39 After Moses had told all of this to the Israelis, the people deeply mourned. 40 So they got up early the next morning and traveled to the top of the mountain, telling themselves, “Look, we’re here and we’re going to go up to the place that the Lord had spoken about, even though we’ve sinned.”
    41 But Moses asked them, “Why do you continue to sin against what the Lord said? Don’t you know that you can never succeed? 42 Don’t go up, since you know that the Lord is no longer with you. You’ll be attacked right in front of your own enemies. 43 The Amalekites and Canaanites are there waiting for you. You’ll die violently, since you’ve turned your back and have stopped following the Lord. The Lord won’t be with you.”
    44 But they presumed to go up to the top of the mountain, even though the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord and Moses didn’'t leave the camp. 45 The Amalekites came down, accompanied by some Canaanites who lived in the mountains. They attacked and defeated them even while the Israelis were retreating to Hormah.

Tassels are a reminder to be obedient and not to continue in their unfaithfulness. When observing the tassels on Jewish prayer shawls be reminded that the tassels are there as a result of their continuous rebellion against God.

37 Later, the Lord instructed Moses, 38 “Tell the Israelis that they are to make tassels at the edges of their garments throughout their generations and that they are to put a violet cord on the tassels at the edges of their garments. 39 That way, when you see the tassel, you’ll remember all the commands of the Lord and you’ll observe them. Then you won’t seek your own interests and desires that lead you to be unfaithful.
    Last edited by glen smith; June 30, 2017, 10:36 AM.

King Saul Disobeys But Repentance Is Not Enough.

1 Samuel 15 ISV

Instructions from the LORD

2 This is what the Lord of the Heavenly Armies says: ‘I’ll punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, when he set himself against Israel in the way, as they were going up from Egypt. 3 Now, go and attack Amalek. Completely destroy all that they have. Don’t spare them, but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, both ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”

King Saul disobeys the Instructions of the LORD.

8 He captured alive Agag king of Amalek, but he completely destroyed all the people, executing them with swords. 9 Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep and cattle—the fattened animals and lambs—along with all that was good. They were not willing to completely destroy them, but they did completely destroy everything that was worthless and inferior.

King Saul Claims to Have Carried Out the Command of the LORD.

13 Samuel approached Saul. “May the Lord bless you,” Saul said. “I’ve carried out the Lord’s command.”
    14 Samuel said, “Then what is this bleating of sheep in my ears and the lowing of cattle that I hear?”
    15 Saul replied, “They brought them from the Amalekites. The people spared the best of the sheep and cattle to offer sacrifices to the Lord your God, and the rest they completely destroyed.”
    16 “Be quiet!” Samuel said. “I’ll tell you what the Lord told me last night.”
    Saul told him, “Speak.”

The Prophet Samuel Challenges King Saul’s Claim of Obedience.

17 So Samuel replied, “Is it not true that though you were small in your own eyes you became head of the tribes of Israel, and the Lord anointed you king over Israel? 18 The Lord sent you on a mission: ‘Go and completely destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they’re destroyed.’ 19 Why didn’t you obey the Lord, but grabbed the spoil and did evil in the Lord’s sight?”

King Saul Repeats His Claim of Obedience.

20 Saul told Samuel, “I did obey the Lord. I went on the mission on which the Lord sent me, I brought Agag king of Amalek, and I completely destroyed the Amalekites. 21 The people took some of the spoil—sheep, cattle, and the best of what was to be completely destroyed—to sacrifice to the Lord your God at Gilgal.”

The Prophet Samuel Delivers the Message. The LORD Rejects King Saul as King over Israel.

22 Samuel said,
    “Does the Lord delight as much in burnt offerings and sacrifices
    as in obeying the Lord?
    Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice,
    to pay attention is better than the fat of rams.
    23 Indeed, rebellion is the sin of divination,
    and arrogance is iniquity and idolatry.
    Because you have rejected this message from the Lord,
    he has rejected you from being king.”

King Saul Confesses that He Has Sinned.

24 “I’ve sinned,” Saul replied to Samuel. “I’'ve broken the Lord’s command and your word, because I was afraid of the people and listened to them. 25 Now, please forgive my sin and return with me so I may worship the Lord.”

The Prophet Samuel Repeats that the Lord Has Rejected King Saul as King over
    Israel.

26 Samuel told Saul, “I won’t return with you because you have rejected the message from the Lord, and the Lord has rejected you from being king over Israel.”

The Prophet Samuel Reveals that a Neighbor Has Already Been Given the Kingdom.

27 As Samuel turned to go Saul seized him by the corner of his robe, and it tore. 28 Samuel told him, “The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel away from you today, and he has given it to your neighbor who is better than you. 29 Moreover, the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind, for he’s not a man that he should change his mind.”

Again King Saul Confesses that He Has Sinned

30 “I’'ve sinned,” Saul said. “But please honor me now before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me so I may worship the Lord your God.” 31 Samuel returned, following Saul, and Saul worshiped the Lord.
    35b the Lord regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel.

Spirit of the LORD and the Evil Spirit

1 Samuel 16: 13-14
    13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed David in the presence of his brothers, and the Spirit of the Lord came on David from that day forward. Then Samuel got up and went to Ramah.
    14 The Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him.

This Story Is not the First Time King Saul Had been Disobedient

13 Then Samuel told Saul, “You have acted foolishly. You haven’t obeyed the commandment of the Lord your God, which he commanded you. For then the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever, 14 but now your kingdom won’t be established. The Lord has sought for himself a man after his own heart, and the Lord has appointed him as Commander-in-Chief over his people because you didn’t obey that which the Lord commanded you.”
    Last edited by glen smith; June 29, 2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

These people did NOT repent at all. They decided to go their own way against the commands of the Lord, when He had told them to go into the promised land. Then when they heard the consequences of their sin, they wanted to avoid those consequences and did not confess their sin to Him, OR ask for His forgiveness, and still decided to go their own way and against the Lord's commands. They certainly had not surrendered to His will. These people were still acting like rulers, not servants.

While they said they sinned with their lips, they still acted as they had not sinned and presumed The Lord would be with them, even though He had said different.

No one can cover themselves with The Blood of Christ. Christ alone covers those who surrender their whole life to Him.

1 John 1
      Light and Darkness, Sin and Forgiveness

5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light;in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

How can any mere man walk in the light as Jesus is in the light. He is The Truth, while we are all liars.

There is one and only one way for a liar to tell the truth. That is to confess that he is a total and complete liar. He is now telling the whole truth and walked into the light.

Comment

Both of the above examples, King Saul and the Israelites who exited Egypt "repented" after hearing the divine judgment upon them for their sin of rebellion.
        One has to ask if tears after being caught represent anything but self concern?
        For Christians, the issue is that all know the consequences of our sin.
        So, is repentance by the Christian self serving or is their repentance the action required by God?
        How does a sinner come to genuine repentance?
        It must not be by getting caught or having God point out the sin and the judgment.

Comment

Suddenly, the glory of the Lord appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all of the Israelis. 11 “How long will this people keep on spurning me and refusing to trust me, despite all the miracles that I’ve done among them?” the Lord asked Moses (Numbers 14:10b-11).

22 none of those men who saw my glory and watched my miracles that I did in Egypt and in the wilderness—even though they’ve tested me these ten times and never listened to my voice— 23 will ever see the land that I promised to their ancestors. Those who spurned me won’t see it.”
          These people had seen the glory of the Lord with their own eyes and yet still refused to trust in Him.

36 After this, the men whom Moses sent out to explore the land, who returned and made the whole congregation complain against him by bringing an evil report concerning the land, 37 and who produced an evil report about the land, died of pestilence in the Lord’s presence.
          The Lord proved that all that the ones who brought back the report that they could not defeat these people were wrong when they all died, everyone of them.

39 After Moses had told all of this to the Israelis, the people deeply mourned. 40 So they got up early the next morning and traveled to the top of the mountain, telling themselves, “Look, we’re here and we’re going to go up to the place that the Lord had spoken about, even though we’ve sinned.”
          41 But Moses asked them, “Why do you continue to sin against what the Lord said? Don’t you know that you can never succeed? 42 Don’t go up, since you know that the Lord is no longer with you. You’ll be attacked right in front of your own enemies. 43 The Amalekites and Canaanites are there waiting for you. You’ll die violently, since you’ve turned your back and have stopped following the Lord. The Lord won’t be with you.”
          44 But they presumed to go up to the top of the mountain, even though the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord and Moses didn’'t leave the camp. 45 The Amalekites came down, accompanied by some Canaanites who lived in the mountains. They attacked and defeated them even while the Israelis were retreating to Hormah.
          Notice the people deeply mourned, BUT it does not say what they mourned. They did not mourn that they grieved the Lord who had saved them and preformed many miracles for them. They only mourned that they were all going to have to wander in the wilderness for 40 years and die there.

Not once does it say they repented.

Man judges by appearances. God judges by the intentions of our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
            Both of the above examples, King Saul and the Israelites who exited Egypt "repented" after hearing the divine judgment upon them for their sin of rebellion.
            For Christians, the issue is that all know the consequences of our sin.
            So, is repentance by the Christian self serving or is their repentance the action required by God?
            How does a sinner come to genuine repentance?
            It must not be by getting caught or having God point out the sin and the judgment.

I think this question you asked, with the implied answer, is true.

The problem with both cases were they people were not really grieved over their sin, and the fact that they had grieved The Lord; but they were sad about the consequences they now faced.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

I think this question you asked, with the implied answer, is true.

The problem with both cases were they people were not really grieved over their sin, and the fact that they had grieved The Lord; but they were sad about the consequences they now faced.
              In the Old Testament there are a multitude of examples of divine judgment. The single clear outcome from these examples seems to be that divine judgment is ineffective to permanently turn sinners to the LORD. If divine judgement is ineffective what will be effective? That is the good news. The LORD has from before the foundations of the world made a plan that is effective.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post

In the Old Testament there are a multitude of examples of divine judgment. The single clear outcome from these examples seems to be that divine judgment is ineffective to permanently turn sinners to the LORD. If divine judgement is ineffective what will be effective? That is the good news. The LORD has from before the foundations of the world made a plan that is effective.
                How true Glen. It is the love, mercy and grace of God that brings sinners to repentance.

Romans 11

32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Comment

Good comments.

Saul seems to have repented because of what he lost. Probably like Esau, he sought it and was unable to find repentance. Instead he found condemnation. Remember, Saul and Esau were gifted, mighty men. I trust there's no small amount of pride that tempts someone who has brawn, prowess, and position.

David cried, Against You and You only have I sinned! This is a different kind of cry, an anguish of the heart for having offended God his Father. It is the cry of the prodigal son, Father I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son!

Perhaps it is that Saul and Esau saw the judgement and lamented for themselves. David and the proverbial wayward son saw they had grieved their Father, and knew only He could restore them, and they made themselves as nothing and put their faith in Him that He would receive them even to the lowest position in His household.

God has pity on those who fear/respect Him. He gives grace to the lowly and meek. And He even knows when we affect these things, because He knows the heart.

Comment

Working...
                  X