Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chronology of the War According to Josephus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chronology of the War According to Josephus

    This is an astonishing account of Rome's siege on Jerusalem in 70 AD. It's a chronology in summary, the details are glossed over. It is probably much easier to get through than Josephus' full account, but it is without doubt a terrible tribulation.

    Chronology of the War According to Josephus
    http://www.josephus.org/FlJosephus2/...logy7Fall.html

  • #2
    Originally posted by Baruch View Post
    This is an astonishing account of Rome's siege on Jerusalem in 70 AD. It's a chronology in summary, the details are glossed over. It is probably much easier to get through than Josephus' full account, but it is without doubt a terrible tribulation.

    Chronology of the War According to Josephus
    http://www.josephus.org/FlJosephus2/...logy7Fall.html
    Thanks Barry. I read the whole thing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Josephus' "War of the Jews" describes the most horrific atrocities carried out by the Jews.
      The atrocities exceeded the debauchery performed by evil men.
      When reading his history one must think these people were demon possessed.
      It definitely makes one think of the locusts of Revelation 9.
      While Jerusalem was under siege by the Roman army there were factions inside the walls battling each other and destroying the food supplies of the other factions’.
      After the fall of Jerusalem the Roman general Titus prayed to the Jewish God that the debauchery he observed was not his doing but that of the Jews. Roman armies were not renowned for their compassion but for their own brutality. Yet, Titus was repulsed by what he observed in Jerusalem.
      Of particular interest are the numbers of Jews who died and were made slaves.
      Six hundred thousand Jews were enslaved into forced labor to dig out the Corinthian canal. All died in the effort.

      Percentages - considering the total population of Jews compared to the number who died and were enslaved, – this is the Great Tribulation of Matthew 24.

      No one who has read Josephus' "War of the Jews" would ever make the claim that there could be something more horrific -– maybe as horrific but never greater.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by glen smith View Post
        Josephus' "War of the Jews" describes the most horrific atrocities carried out by the Jews.
        The atrocities exceeded the debauchery performed by evil men.
        When reading his history one must think these people were demon possessed.
        It definitely makes one think of the locusts of Revelation 9.
        While Jerusalem was under siege by the Roman army there were factions inside the walls battling each other and destroying the food supplies of the other factions’.
        After the fall of Jerusalem the Roman general Titus prayed to the Jewish God that the debauchery he observed was not his doing but that of the Jews. Roman armies were not renowned for their compassion but for their own brutality. Yet, Titus was repulsed by what he observed in Jerusalem.
        Of particular interest are the numbers of Jews who died and were made slaves.
        Six hundred thousand Jews were enslaved into forced labor to dig out the Corinthian canal. All died in the effort.

        Percentages - considering the total population of Jews compared to the number who died and were enslaved, – this is the Great Tribulation of Matthew 24.

        No one who has read Josephus' "War of the Jews" would ever make the claim that there could be something more horrific -– maybe as horrific but never greater.
        Hi Glen,

        You make claims of the motives, the preconceived ideas, and the abilities of others. I think it is one thing to ask if someone has a preconceived idea, but quite another to accuse. Your statement it totally wrong, because I will make the claim that there will be a tribulation greater than what took place in 70 AD. Why do I make this claim, because Jesus said it would take place. Why do I say that Jesus said that it would take place ? :

        I will answer that question yet again:

        Jesus said that there would be a tribulation greater than has ever taken place, and greater than ever will be again.

        21For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.
        Now you claim that this took place in 70 AD.

        BUT Jesus also said He would return immediately after that tribulation.

        So you claim that Jesus did return in some way after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

        But Jesus made it very clear that if anyone tries to tell us that he returned, NOT to believe them:

        22“If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.25 See, I have told you ahead of time.
        26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.
        WE see that Jesus told us that EVERYONE would SEE His return and His return would be VISIBLE, just as the lightning is.

        29“Immediately after the distress of those days

        “‘the sun will be darkened,
        and the moon will not give its light;
        the stars will fall from the sky,
        and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

        30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
        We see here that Jesus told us that all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

        Are you actually claiming that all the people of the earth seen Jesus return and also mourned.


        31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
        Are you claiming that Jesus already sent His angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

        Paul fought against this heresy when some claimed that the Lord had already returned.

        You act as this is a settled issue and everyone agrees with your claim. IT is NOT a settled issue, the owner of this web site does not agree with you, for one.

        Please do NOT make claims like this on this web site. This is at least a debatable issue. I for one can not see how anyone can think that The Lord Jesus has already returned when He made it so very clear that everyone in the world would see and know when He did return.

        Edit: Anyone who reads Josephus should also see that he is an arrogant man who often does not tell the truth. There are many things in his account that have proven to be not true. I would not take anything written in his account as totally true. There may be some value is reading his account, but anyone should be very careful not to take his account as totally true. He considered himself a "Jeremiah", but he was NOT a prophet chosen by God.

        The destruction of Jerusalem was a very terrible event and made far worse by the Jews themselves. But anyone who is a serious student of history knows that there are many very terrible events in human history. The natives of what is now Mexico piled human hearts up in great piles that made the Spanish literally vomit. The Spanish were known for being very cruel, but could not stomach the natives of Mexico. Some of the Leaders of Islam piled human skulls in heaps so large that the accounts are hard to fathom.

        Natural death is a terrible thing to most and many can not imagine anything worse. The natural is easy for us to see, but the spiritual is only seen by a few. Spiritual death is FAR WORSE because it is eternal.

        A great tribulation where people die a eternal spiritual death rather than a natural death would be a far greater tribulation.

        That great tribulation is yet to come, or at least if it is upon us, it is not over yet, because The Lord Jesus has not yet returned to this earth in power and glory which He promised He would do.

        We live in a nation where Jesus is mocked daily. The largest "Christian" church in this nation is run by a false prophet. The Pope comes to our nation and praises a POTUS that is a Muslim traitor and claims that Jesus and Allah are the same God. Homosexuals and cross dressers are praised on TV daily. I see these things as far worse than what took place in Jerusalem in 70 AD.

        In Jerusalem itself there was an event far worse than it's destruction in 70 AD. That is when the Jews crucified our dear Lord on that terrible cross.

        Lou Newton
        Last edited by Lou Newton; August 11th, 2017, 11:17 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          1 Thessalonians 4

          15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

          16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

          17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.


          18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
          Notice the some of the same words a Jesus used in Matthew 24:

          And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

            Notice the some of the same words a Jesus used in Matthew 24:

            And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
            Are the angels with a loud trumpet call the same as the archangel and the trump of God?

            At the time Jesus spoke Matthew 24, the elect of the Gentiles still had to be gathered by the preaching of the Gospel. The age of the Gentiles had not yet come. God's eternal plan had not fully be revealed, it was still veiled even to the apostles. The Gentiles were scattered at Babel, and they were to be reclaimed from the ends of the heavens to which they'd been scattered. We're still in that age.

            At the time of these sayings and before, angels were also symbolic of priests, pastors, and ministers. It's equally as likely one could interpret these angles thus.

            Most of the popular church, the end times franchises, and the heathen myth spinners rely heavily on Matthew 24. Almost everyone who is expecting a certain end times script is expecting this one, joining it with Revelation and select other verses to reinforce their doctrine. That alone clued me in that something is very wrong with this. Tim LaHaye, Left Behind, Council for National Policy, who was not a friend of Christ or His flock, ran with this narrative and was pushing it big time in Washington DC. CNP is still using this to shape their national and global politics, though LaHaye has passed on. CNP is very secretive about is members, but some of the names would make your skin crawl; Bushes, Olly North, Pat Robertson, etc. It behooves us to reexamine our eschatology and disengage from the mainstream script. They are using it to deceive, and Matthew-24-as-end-times is a main ingredient.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ugh. I didn't intend to lump others into the same mire pit as those miscreants. My point was that those unregenerates, who are passing themselves off as conservative Christians in DC to spend as political capital, read the scriptures and get this meaning from it AND they are shaping the world by it. God is allowing it for now, so it must be His will at work. Spiritual texts must be read with spiritual eyes. There is a lot of confirmation from all over reinforcing a certain end times narrative, indicating there is a common spirit at work. If every joe can walk away with understanding just by a surface reading of Matthew 24, that can't be right. Even so, I have to remind myself that I used to believe these things. I'm just keenly aware of this because my view on theology and eschatology differs from most people nowadays.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Baruch View Post

                Are the angels with a loud trumpet call the same as the archangel and the trump of God?

                At the time Jesus spoke Matthew 24, the elect of the Gentiles still had to be gathered by the preaching of the Gospel. The age of the Gentiles had not yet come. God's eternal plan had not fully be revealed, it was still veiled even to the apostles. The Gentiles were scattered at Babel, and they were to be reclaimed from the ends of the heavens to which they'd been scattered. We're still in that age.

                At the time of these sayings and before, angels were also symbolic of priests, pastors, and ministers. It's equally as likely one could interpret these angles thus.

                Most of the popular church, the end times franchises, and the heathen myth spinners rely heavily on Matthew 24. Almost everyone who is expecting a certain end times script is expecting this one, joining it with Revelation and select other verses to reinforce their doctrine. That alone clued me in that something is very wrong with this. Tim LaHaye, Left Behind, Council for National Policy, who was not a friend of Christ or His flock, ran with this narrative and was pushing it big time in Washington DC. CNP is still using this to shape their national and global politics, though LaHaye has passed on. CNP is very secretive about is members, but some of the names would make your skin crawl; Bushes, Olly North, Pat Robertson, etc. It behooves us to reexamine our eschatology and disengage from the mainstream script. They are using it to deceive, and Matthew-24-as-end-times is a main ingredient.
                Hi Barry,

                Are the angels with a loud trumpet call the same as the archangel and the trump of God?

                Yes, I think so. All moves of God are started by God. God never follows, but leads. The angels follow the loud trumpet call, which is from God. The Archangel is the First Angel who is The Angel of The Lord or God. So in both cases it is the loud trumpet call from God and the angels follow.

                At the time of these sayings and before, angels were also symbolic of priests, pastors, and ministers. It's equally as likely one could interpret these angles thus.

                Mere men might mistake men for angels, but God does not. Certainly men can not gather the elect from the heavens. The Lord is speaking of angels from heaven.

                At the time Jesus spoke Matthew 24, the elect of the Gentiles still had to be gathered by the preaching of the Gospel. The age of the Gentiles had not yet come. God's eternal plan had not fully be revealed, it was still veiled even to the apostles. The Gentiles were scattered at Babel, and they were to be reclaimed from the ends of the heavens to which they'd been scattered. We're still in that age.

                To me this argument supports that the Lord has not yet returned. The Lord said in Matthew 24 that He would return AFTER the gospel had been preached to the whole world and He would gather the elect from the four corners of the earth when He returned. This definitely had not been accomplished before or after 70 AD.

                Most of the popular church, the end times franchises, and the heathen myth spinners rely heavily on Matthew 24. Almost everyone who is expecting a certain end times script is expecting this one, joining it with Revelation and select other verses to reinforce their doctrine. That alone clued me in that something is very wrong with this. Tim LaHaye, Left Behind, Council for National Policy, who was not a friend of Christ or His flock, ran with this narrative and was pushing it big time in Washington DC. CNP is still using this to shape their national and global politics, though LaHaye has passed on. CNP is very secretive about is members, but some of the names would make your skin crawl; Bushes, Olly North, Pat Robertson, etc. It behooves us to reexamine our eschatology and disengage from the mainstream script. They are using it to deceive, and Matthew-24-as-end-times is a main ingredient.

                I am thankful you posted the next post. I sure do not want to be put in the same group as LaHaye. I met the men once and it was similar to meeting Ted Kennedy. Neither man looked me in the eye and looked right past me when he shook my hand. The arrogance attitude was very obvious. LaHaye, and many others that have the same pretrib rapture doctrine, do NOT agree with Matthew 24.

                A large part of the church has swallowed this error. They seem to believe what they want to believe instead of what Jesus said. Jesus clearly said that He would return AFTER the Great tribulation instead of before. When He returns He will gather the elect. The pretrib rapture is a great error. Their error is no reason the reject the truth that He will return after the great tribulation which has not yet taken place.
                Last edited by Lou Newton; August 12th, 2017, 09:18 AM.

                Comment

                Working...
                X