EVERYTHING that happens to us is for our good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVERYTHING that happens to us is for our good

I am not sure of the exact date, but about two years ago I had an accident and injured my shoulder. Then shortly there after I had another accident and injured the already injured shoulder. This time the injury was serious and the pain was very intense. I could not sleep at all the pain was so intense.

So I went back to my Doctor that I had not been to for many years. He was glad to see me and we renewed a friendship. He sent me to get an x ray of my shoulder. When he looked at the X ray he told me I had "very good looking bones". I said good for 74, and he said no good for 35. He showed me why and then told me I would need a MRI. He sent me to another Dr and he ordered a MRI. The MRI showed that my rotator cuff muscle had totally separated from the tendon by about 1/2". But the Dr had a physical therapist that gave me treatments with such care and love that she got rid of the pain. She also had a large effect on my life and we became very good friends. She is like family to me now. She changed my life in a very dramatic and good way.

He sent me to an Orthopaedic surgeon. He looked at my chart and told me that he did not operate on men over 70. He then looked at my MRI and told the nurse that she gave him the wrong MRI. She looked at it and said no that was mine. He said my MRI showed I had bones and muscles of a much younger man and he could operate on me. But my arm would be in a sling for many months and maybe even a year to rehabilitate. That did not sound good to me and I prayed about it just as I had been doing since I injured my shoulder.

I told him that I used to be a weight lifter and used to bench press over 300 pounds. He said I would never lift weights again, at least not heavy ones. He sent me to physical therapy.

At physical therapy they told me without the surgery I would never be able to lift my empty arm up over my head. I worked very hard at the exercises they gave me and it was very painful to do so. But before I was through with the visits that had been prescribed I lifted my empty arm over my head. They were mystified as how I could do that. It was very painful to do that though.

I joined the YMCA to help my Doctor get in shape. I worked very hard myself on cardio and lifting weights. When I first tried to use the bench press machine the empty apparatus with no weights on it was very difficult and very painful to lift. But after over a year I made very good progress. I started doing shoulder shrugs to build up my shoulder an started with 180# and then 270#, to 360#, to 450#, to 540#. This took many months. I ended up doing 7 shoulder shrugs with 540# and then lifted 630# and got about 1/2 of a shrug. I progressed on pullovers to be able to do them with 300#. I had made very good progress but I was still not able to do much weight on the bench press. I worked all those months to be able to lift 145# one time and it was all I could do to do that. I also lifted 145# on the military press one time.

All those months I had been doing 100 meter sprints and had not run any distance for years. A friend at the Y told me about a Pump and Run that he was going to do. I thought I would attack my two weaknesses and try that Pump and Run myself. I went to the free weights and tried to lift the empty 45# bar with no weights on it. It was very difficult without the rotator cuff muscle that is used to stabilize the arm. I thought I would never be able to lift the weight that I had to bench for my weigh and age at the Pump and Run. But The Lord sent a young man by the name of Payton to encourage me, so I kept at it. Eventually I was able to bench press the weight I would have to lift at the Pump and Run.

At the P& R I was shocked that I did 28 reps for the Pump part. I did more reps than anyone at the competition. There was a man who did 24 and the friend who told me about it did 22. Everyone else was below 20. Was this a miracle ? I do not know if it was or not, but I do know I would have never done this without the help of The Lord Jesus.He sent me many people to help me: Dr Sansone, Ashley, Cindy, Sara, Kim, Kelly, Dawn, Karen, Sue, Larry, Bill, Jim, Ernie, Pete, Joe, Rich, Payton, Emil, Kala, and many others to encourage me along the way. I would have never been able to do this without their help and encouragement.

But the answer to the question," Is this a miracle?" is clear now. I would have never met these people without the Lord's help. These people would never have spoke to me with such kindness and grace without The Lord's inspiration to do so. I would never had the courage to even try, let alone persevere ,with the painful training. The Lord Jesus directed every step along the way. I can plainly see that this was a miracle.

It is a very small thing to shoulder shrug 540# or pick up 630#. It is a very small unimportant thing to do more reps at the Pump & Run than all the others. Details are trifles, but details can cause victories, and victory is no trifle. This victory is momentous in my life. It brought encouragement at a time when I needed it. Far more, I learned many very important things in the process. I learned a lot about love. I learned a lot about the nature of my dear Lord Jesus. He taught me to be able to love others much better than before this took place. I learned to really appreciate His last creation, and His most beautiful creation, women. I have always really liked women, but did not really appreciate how wonderful they are.

When I first had the accident and injured my shoulder I had to restrain myself from complaining about to the Lord. I am 75 but I am still very agile and quick on my feet and I felt ambushed to have this happen to me. Even after walking with the Lord for 43 years ,and learning the hard way so many times before, that I am always wrong and He is always right. He always does what is best for me and my way is never best for me.

Romans 8: 28 And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God and are fitting into his plans. ---- But I did not see this as a good thing when it happened. How like sheep we truly are.

I could write many articles about all of the things He taught me along this journey. I am reminded of this poem I heard on the radio many years ago:

"I walked a mile with Pleasure;
    She chatted all the way;
    But left me none the wiser
    For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow;
    And ne'er a word said she;
    But, oh! The things I learned from her,
    When Sorrow walked with me."

― Robert Browning Hamilton

I now see with my blind eyes and now hear with my deaf ears. I would never have met all these wonderful people unless this accident took place. I would gladly walk through hell and back to be able to meet some of them. Even one of them would be worth any trouble that the Lord would give me the grace to go through. The Lord has created such lovely creatures and to have the privilege to know some of them is truly worth anything we would have to endure.

Words fail me at this time. I am not able to communicate the thankfulness that I feel and the love the Lord has taught me. I am a mathematician and love physics. I have learned much about the Lord studying His creation. But I failed to study the most beautiful part of His creation, men and even more, women. They are indeed the crowning achievement of The Lord's creation. I always wondered why The Lord would bother to save mankind. After all, men can be very ugly too. David said, "what is man that you are even mindful of him Lord".

Now The Lord has revealed to me why He bothered to create us and also bothered to save us. Not that any of us deserve to be saved. But He has created us to be wonderful.

Psalm 139

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

1 You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
    2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
    3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
    4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
    5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
    6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
    11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
    12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

His bond servant,
    Lou Newton

Edit: BTW, I am 75 and weigh 133# with my clothes on.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; May 26th, 2019, 11:31 PM.
Working...
X