Another successful repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another successful repair

A couple of weeks ago a local farmer, who is a friend, called me and asked me if I would help him repair the whole front end on his 4 wheel drive F-250 pickup. He had went to get new tires and the tire dealer told him that the front end needed serious repairs before he put new tires on it.

As we took it apart we found it needed far more repairs than he had been told:

front axle seals
    front axle U-Joints ( one had fallen apart)
    upper and lower ball joints
    all new steering tie rod ends
    seals for the front hubs at the rear and new o-rings at the front
    New front drive hubs
    The ABS was not working
    The 4 wheel drive hubs would not engage or disengage from the cab
    New front brake rotors
    front brake calipers
    front brake pads

It took us all day to take it apart and it was very difficult without all the special tools that pro mechanics have. We ordered parts over the internet. They were about 1/3 the cost, and we ordered good quality parts.

It took us two days to put it back together because many of the parts were not correct and we could not get the correct parts locally.

But after much struggle and prayer we finally completed the task. I had never repaired a front end of a 4 wheel drive truck before and neither had he. When we took it for a test drive EVERYTHING worked perfectly. We were both very pleased and very thankful to The Lord for His mercy and grace to us.

Now this all makes me wonder if The Lord has a reason for all this mechanical work coming my way.

I have repaired and replaced a six cylinder diesel head that was breaking head bolts and the farmer had broken off an easy-out in the block. That easy out was 85 Rockwell hardness and everyone said it could not be fixed without spitting the tractor and taking the block to a machine shop to get it out. With prayer, The Lord gave me an idea that worked with tools that cost a few dollars. I put the engine back together and it never broke another head bolt. I knew the reason it was breaking bolts and put all new head bolts in it. When you loosen high strength bolts and then retighten them, it fatigues them and causes them to break in a short time. Then the mechanics loosened them all again to replace that broken one and retightened them again. That time one broke even sooner. Every time they repaired the broken head bolt, another would break in an even shorter time. The fix was simply to replace all of the head bolts. They were not cheap or easy to find, but that fixed the problem.

We did a complete overhaul of a 6 cylinder diesel motor on a 50 year old tractor. The manual and the dealer said that the tractor had to be split to take the crankshaft out to replace the upper main bearings. I had never even seen the inside of a diesel motor. But The Lord gave me an idea of how to replace the upper mains without splitting the tractor apart ( it is a very difficult job without overhead cranes). It was tricky but it worked and the engine has been the best running tractor that farmer now owns.

We also overhauled two hydraulic clutches and they now work well. ( these are very large and weigh maybe 100 pounds with about 100 parts)

Another job was taking the whole rear section off of a tractor to repair the hydraulic lift system.

Everyone of these jobs made me very thankful to The Lord Jesus. It matters not if it was my abilities or His special grace. ( I fully believe it was both) For I have NOTHING that The Lord did not give me.

Everything comes from Him and we owe Him thanks for everything that He gives us this day or even years ago.

I have absolutely no training in mechanical repairs. To complete these jobs and have them all work is no small thing. The tractor with the broken head bolt had been repaired by the dealer and then another professional mechanic, only to break another head bolt in a very short time.

The Lord did not give me one repair that I could not do, not one. I am sure there are many jobs that would have tore down my confidence instead of building it up.

Surely The Lord Jesus is full of mercy and grace for us all. Praise His Glorious Name.

Last night a friend told me his furnace was not working very well and his house was 50 some degrees inside. I went to his house and we found the problem and fixed it. His house is now warm. It is not fun to be cold. We do not appreciate our warm houses. Many people in the world do not have warm houses as we do. I am very thankful that my apartment is very comfortable right now. It has been very cold and has gotten down to 3 degrees at night sometimes.

One year when I was the Chaplin at the Rescue Mission in Youngstown ( it paid no salary). I lived in my house with no gas or electric the whole winter. I lived alone that year, so was able to do so. BUT I hope I never have to do that again. At first it was not so bad. But as time went on the cold seemed to get colder and colder. Ever since that experience I do not like to be cold.

Are you aware that heat is the most important necessity for life.

You can go without food for months
    you can go without water for days
    You can go without oxygen for minutes
    But if you would walk into a room that was absolute zero on the Kelvin scale( no heat at all, and - 459.67 F) you would die instantly. My house was relatively warm when it got down to near zero sometimes.

One winter I slept outside in a tent during the night. It was way below zero sometimes. But that did not bother me because I had a warm place to shower and change clothes. Also it was warm at my workplace, and I had one sleeping bag that went into another one and they kept me warm.

Most planets are very cold or very hot. Praise The Lord Jesus for creating the earth to have a temperature that is not real cold or hot. We are not only in a Goldilocks zone, but the earth has an orbit that is circular enough to keep us in that zone.

Praise The Lord Jesus for all the things He has created that are for our good. The earth is a very RARE place indeed that Jesus created for us.

Lou Newton
    Last edited by Lou Newton; January 23, 2016, 12:29 PM.

Well you're a pretty smart guy. I always considered you my go to guy who has the answers. I'm not surprised by your abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
      Well you're a pretty smart guy. I always considered you my go to guy who has the answers. I'm not surprised by your abilities.

Well Steve that is a very generous comment and it only proves that you love your brother as you should.

But I have not one single thing that The Lord Jesus did not GIVE to me.

Now if one kid has a rich father who gave him $100 bill and the poor kid had none; should the kid with the rich father be proud ?

Of course not, for he has nothing that his father did not simply give to him. He did not earn it.

I have nothing that my heavenly Father did not give me.

He gave me what men call a fairly high IQ. It allows me to learn and understand some things more quickly than some. BUT it also leaves me lacking in emotional abilities sometimes.

There is also a high price to pay for this ability. My parents would get angry with me for being able to see something that they could not. They would give my sister a reward for good grades, but scolded me for good grades ( they claimed I was trying to show off). I purposely tried to get bad grades sometimes, so I never did my homework. But my pride would not allow me to do badly on the tests.

But even worse, often one sees things that others do not see, and even if you explain it to them, they still do not see and understand.

Then you get labelled as a trouble maker or heretic. The more you see that few others see, the more trouble one will have. It is painful to be thought to hate the very One you love.

All one has to do is to study the life of the prophets. They lived a lonely life among men here on the earth.

Here is what Jesus said about this:

Luke 6
      20 Looking at his disciples, he said: “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
      21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
      22 Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.
      23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.
      24 “But woe to you who are rich,for you have already received your comfort.
      25 Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.
      26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

Comment

I found myself thanking the Lord Jesus often as I was reading your testimony, Lou. Thanks for sharing. I imagine the people you help with your talents also give thanks to Him. He created an unimaginable number of atoms to show His grace to a scant few of them. I'm grateful He gave me these atoms, in a configuration that seemed good to Him, so that I could reflect some of His love back to Him and those that He created beside me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
          I found myself thanking the Lord Jesus often as I was reading your testimony, Lou. Thanks for sharing. I imagine the people you help with your talents also give thanks to Him. He created an unimaginable number of atoms to show His grace to a scant few of them. I'm grateful He gave me these atoms, in a configuration that seemed good to Him, so that I could reflect some of His love back to Him and those that He created beside me.

Thanks so much for your reply Barry. It causes me to give thanks to The Lord of all mercy and grace.

Zechariah 4

6 Then he said, “This is God’s message to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty —you will succeed because of my Spirit, though you are few and weak.’ 7 Therefore no mountain, however high, can stand before Zerubbabel! For it will flatten out before him! And Zerubbabel will finish building this Temple with mighty shouts of thanksgiving for God’s mercy, declaring that all was done by grace alone.”

I know that this Temple ( me) is being built by grace and grace alone.

Comment

Working...
          X