The fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fight

After repeated failures to not sin, I told the Lord that I really wasnt any different than I was when I became a Christian and that I was tired of failing and hurting Him . And that I wont amount to much.

And He said (and I am paraphrasing). Since it seems thqt God can communicate ideas without me hearing every word, if you know what I mean.

This is the fight. Dont expect it to get easier. It will get harder. Your flesh will never get better. Thats not what a new creation is, The new creation is in the spirit, and for so long you have tried to better your flesh, and had some succees, and pride with it.

Any victory, any spirit led life is from Me. You dont live by the spirit, thats why you will always fail.
    And victory over sin, doesnt necessarily feel good.

And He never really told me how to live the spirit led life. No clear instructions, because He intimately knows me, that Bible verses, how to's and do this do that will drive me back to my flesh, since I am a tactical doer, with lists and goals for everything.

So i will wait and be quiet and listen for His voice and relax in who He is.The only thing I have changed is that I ask Him to be involved in everything I do, praying as I do it. Thats all that I do differently.

Funny with all the books, instructions, teaching and training, only the Lord can change you.

Originally posted by smokey View Post
    After repeated failures to not sin, I told the Lord that I really wasnt any different than I was when I became a Christian and that I was tired of failing and hurting Him . And that I wont amount to much.

And He said (and I am paraphrasing). Since it seems thqt God can communicate ideas without me hearing every word, if you know what I mean.

This is the fight. Dont expect it to get easier. It will get harder. Your flesh will never get better. Thats not what a new creation is, The new creation is in the spirit, and for so long you have tried to better your flesh, and had some succees, and pride with it.

Any victory, any spirit led life is from Me. You dont live by the spirit, thats why you will always fail.

And He never really told me how to live the spirit led life. No clear instructions, because He intimately knows me, that Bible verses, how to's and do this do that will drive me back to my flesh, since I am a tactical doer, with lists and goals for everything.

So i will wait and be quiet and listen for His voice and relax in who He is.The only thing I have changed is that I ask Him to be involved in everything I do, praying as I do it. Thats all that I do differently.

Funny with all the books, instructions, teaching and training, only the Lord can change you
    Thanks for sharing this, Smokey. So many believe that if they can just do the best they possibly can, God will love and accept them. To believe that, is to trust in the flesh. Life is hidden in Christ and revealed through the gospel. No man can perfect the flesh. It is rotten to the core.

Blane

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post

Funny with all the books, instructions, teaching and training, only the Lord can change you.
      Thanks Smokey,

The Lord will save anything that is savable. But no flesh will be saved. We get a new body because nothing corrupt can enter heaven, and so no flesh can enter.

I accept that my flesh is totally evil and selfish. It always wants it's own way. My spirit always wants to follow Jesus, because he lives in my spirit.

So it is a constant fight as you say between my flesh and my spirit.

The Only thing I can do it to surrender to Jesus every day and in every way, and ask Him to save me.

He is the Savior, and I am the one being saved.

Good the hear from you and see that you are doing well.

Lou

Comment

I can relate, brother smokey. Thank you for this post. It is timely and will help me in my walk. I think I am like you in these respects, with a mind for lists, goals, and tactics, and demanding results.

I have continual challenges, and many spectacular failures. I try not to tire of the fight, falls and chastisements, for therein lies the pit of apathy. I strive to remain vigilant for snares and wild beasts. What do I have to show for my vigilance? When I look left I get a suckerpunch from the right. The body and mind collude to trip me up. If I vanquish lust one moment, pride gets me in the next.

Why? Indeed, as you've written, strengthening the flesh to do battle with the flesh. And also, for me, failing to recognize the form of the conflict and getting steamrolled by it.

Recently it had been given to me to lay out what is meant by crucifying the old man. Crucifixion is a death sentence. It is a sentence of extreme prejudice. A protracted and unimaginably painful death. No, the old man does not die quickly and easily in his sleep, nor quietly. I don't know how he does it, but he is strong enough to free himself. I'm sure he gets help from his longstanding allies.

In place of the crucified(-ying) old man, I am told to put on the new man (identify with him, the new me; not in the body/mind/will/emotions, but in the quickened spirit). He is the one I ought to take into battle, fully clad in spiritual armor, wielding not the will, but the sword of the Spirit.

Then if I see the old man is back in action, I can stop him from pillaging, feeding and renewing. I subdue him and deliver him to finish serving his death sentence. And if I see any of his buddies, they get the sword, too.

Praise Jesus for this extremely useful allegory.

It seems true, also, that vanquishing the old man, removing and putting him away, is remarkably unpleasant. He does not want to go. He convinces me I am him, and the loss of his presence is a grief even while the new me proclaims, Good riddance ooold man and thank you God!

Comment

Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

Comment

Working...
          X