No announcement yet.

Should John Wayne be an American hero ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should John Wayne be an American hero ?

Glen sent me this email:

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Feb 16 at 3:42 AM

John Wayne an American Hero?

For me, any Christian who thinks John Wayne (whose profession was pretending to be someone in the movies) is an American hero, either do not know what John Wayne was doing off screen, or they have some convoluted sense of what patriotism means, or they haven’t any idea what it means to follow the biblical Lord Jesus.

I have been in homes of missionaries, preachers, and Christians who have had their altar to John Wayne by displaying a photo of the pretender with the American flag. I have seen Facebook posting of Christians admiring John Wayne. But it is not just John Wayne. In the sixties and seventies every African American home that I entered had a similar tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just to flush out this idea, here is a quickly made list of others whose fans have made altars to them in this world: James Dean, Elvis Presley, Ronald Regan, Michael Jordon, Will Smith, Michal Jackson, Mohammad Ali, John Lennon, Marilyn Monroe, Mother Terresa – surely you can add some others missed in this list.

Christians owe their allegiance to God alone. He alone is to be their Lord (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 6:4). As servants of His kingdom, Christians are to give all glory to God, not to people or things of this world, or even other gods (Hebrew elohim). The things or people Christians support must be determined by how they match the values of the Lord Jesus. None are to be glorified.

The Bible describes God as jealous about thirty times. His jealousy is over the people He has chosen. He desires to be the only object of His people’s worship. Why is this? It has to do with what God does for the chosen. He has given divine redemption through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and He has done so through grace and not through works of the chosen. Redemption means God has paid the price to regain what He had lost; that is, a people for Himself. God has committed Himself to the chosen people through the sacrifice and death of His only Son to provide forgiveness and salvation. God demands an appropriate response to His divine grace. The appropriate response is faithful worship and obedience to Him alone.

Are these words too harsh concerning heroes and icons? What does the Bible reveal about the worship of angels? Are any of our heroes and icons more deserving than the angels of the Lord? Yet, the angels forbid being worshipped or even for men to bow down before them.

If a person glorifies the things or people of this world, then, the Bible reveals what his relationship is to God the Father.

References

James 4:4

You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Glen, thanks for the email. This is a much needed subject to address. The sin of idolatry is addressed on almost every page of The Holy Scriptures. Yet men build whole denominations on passages that are mentioned but once. I listened to the whole Bible on tapes, and then CD's, each in one weekend, and idolatry was the sin that I noticed that God mentioned the most.

Glen wrote:
    The Bible describes God as jealous about thirty times. His jealousy is over the people He has chosen. He desires to be the only object of His people’s worship. Why is this? It has to do with what God does for the chosen. He has given divine redemption through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and He has done so through grace and not through works of the chosen. Redemption means God has paid the price to regain what He had lost; that is, a people for Himself. God has committed Himself to the chosen people through the sacrifice and death of His only Son to provide forgiveness and salvation. God demands an appropriate response to His divine grace. The appropriate response is faithful worship and obedience to Him alone.
    I would like to address why we should worship God alone. God does not desire people to grovel at His feet. He does not seek worship for the sake of being worshiped. Jesus is God revealed to us in the flesh. Did Jesus seek worship ? No He was very meek and humble.

Philippians 2 (NIV)

Imitating Christ’s Humility

2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
    7 rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.
    Jesus is the Highest Name of God because Jesus displayed the highest nature of God. God is humble and meek. Proof of that fact is the fact that we are left to live on this earth even while we dishonor God and mock Him.

God tells us to give thanks, not that He seeks praise, BUT we are conformed to His image when we are thankful.

When we give thanks that is the engine that pulls the train, of being thankful, into the station. It is impossible to feel badly while being thankful. Being thankful conforms us to the image of God.

God wants to give us every good gift. Being conformed to His image is the greatest gift of all.

God is NOT looking for what He can receive, but God is looking for what He can give us. God is NOT a taker, but a giver. Has not God taught us it is better to give than to receive. God follows His own laws. He is NOT a lawbreaker.

God wants us to love truth and not falsehoods. To state any other being is worthy of praise is SIMPLY NOT TRUE. All men are liars and sinners. No one is worthy except The Lord Jesus.

In other words: even God Himself would not consider Himself worthy to judge men unless He Himself became a man. For unless you walk in someones shoes you are not worthy to judge him. God became a man and walked in our shoes, He understands. But no man has the wisdom and righteousness to judge us. So God had to become a man to be worthy to judge us.

That is why Jesus alone is our Judge and Jesus alone is WORTHY.

IF even God was not worthy, unless He became a man, then certainly no mere man, or any angel, is worthy of any praise.

Would you praise sin? All men are sinners. Would you praise lies ? All men are liars. Would you praise ignorance ? All men are ignorant of the truth as we look through a foggy window.

Revelation 5 (NIV)

The Scroll and the Lamb

5 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

You are worthy to take the scroll
    and to open its seals,
    because you were slain,

and with your blood you purchased for God
    persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
    10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
    and they will reign on the earth.”

11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:

“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
    to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
    and honor and glory and praise!”

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
    be praise and honor and glory and power,
    for ever and ever!”

14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; February 16th, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
      Glen, thanks for the email. This is a much needed subject to address. The sin of idolatry is addressed on almost every page of The Holy Scriptures. Yet men build whole denominations on passages that are mentioned but once. I listened to the whole Bible on tapes, and then CD's, each in one weekend, and idolatry was the sin that I noticed that God mentioned the most.

Glen wrote:

I would like to address why we should worship God alone. God does not desire people to grovel at His feet. He does not seek worship for the sake of being worshiped. Jesus is God revealed to us in the flesh. Did Jesus seek worship ? No He was very meek and humble.

Jesus is the Highest Name of God because Jesus displayed the highest nature of God. God is humble and meek. Proof of that fact is the fact that we are left to live on this earth even while we dishonor God and mock Him.

God tells us to give thanks, not that He seeks praise, BUT we are conformed to His image when we are thankful.

When we give thanks that is the engine that pulls the train, of being thankful, into the station. It is impossible to feel badly while being thankful. Being thankful conforms us to the image of God.

God wants to give us every good gift. Being conformed to His image is the greatest gift of all.

God is NOT looking for what He can receive, but God is looking for what He can give us. God is NOT a taker, but a giver. Has not God taught us it is better to give than to receive. God follows His own laws. He is NOT a lawbreaker.

God wants us to love truth and not falsehoods. To state any other being is worthy of praise is SIMPLY NOT TRUE. All men are liars and sinners. No one is worthy except The Lord Jesus.

In other words: even God Himself would not consider Himself worthy to judge men unless He Himself became a man. For unless you walk in someones shoes you are not worthy to judge him. God became a man and walked in our shoes, He understands. But no man has the wisdom and righteousness to judge us. So God had to become a man to be worthy to judge us.

That is why Jesus alone is our Judge and Jesus alone is WORTHY.

IF even God was not worthy, unless He became a man, then certainly no mere man, or any angel, is worthy of any praise.

Would you praise sin? All men are sinners. Would you praise lies ? All men are liars. Would you praise ignorance ? All men are ignorant of the truth as we look through a foggy window.

Revelation 5 (NIV)

The Scroll and the Lamb

5 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

You are worthy to take the scroll
      and to open its seals,
      because you were slain,

and with your blood you purchased for God
      persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
      10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
      and they will reign on the earth.”

11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:

“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
      to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
      and honor and glory and praise!”

13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
      be praise and honor and glory and power,
      for ever and ever!”

14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.
      It's very easy to misinterpret God being jealous into he demands our worship. He's jealous for us because he loves us, and being thankful is indeed the way home. He knows that and he gives us even the ability to be thankful. True worship comes from being thankful, and giving thanks, as scripture declares. The devil is the one who demands our worship.

Comment

Tom wrote:
        It's very easy to misinterpret God being jealous into he demands our worship. He's jealous for us because he loves us, and being thankful is indeed the way home. He knows that and he gives us even the ability to be thankful. True worship comes from being thankful, and giving thanks, as scripture declares. The devil is the one who demands our worship.
        You are correct Tom, Satan is the one who seeks worship:

Matthew 4:
        8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Comment

John Wayne, like a lot of Hollywod actors of the time, were the product of a partnership between Hollywood producers and the U.S government as a way to sell War Bonds during WW II LOOK- not only did John Wayne single-handedly fight off a Japanese ambush on Iwo Jima, but he also organized the courageous defense of the Alamo. Wrap an American flag around him and people will turn out in droves to see him and buy War Bonds. To me, the real American heroes were the soldiers, sailors and aviators who served during that horrible time. I never got emotional watching a John Wayne movie. Don't get me wrong, he is a great actor -But I did need a handkerchief while standing in front of the Tomb of Unknown Soldier(s)in Arlington Cemetery while a bugler played "Taps." During the changing of the guard.
          Last edited by Fisherman; February 24th, 2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            John Wayne, like a lot of Hollywod actors of the time, were the product of a partnership between Hollywood producers and the U.S government as a way to sell War Bonds during WW II LOOK- not only did John Wayne single-handedly fight off a Japanese ambush on Iwo Jima, buthe also organized the courageous defense of the Alamo. Wrap an American flag around him and people will turn out in droves to see him andbuy War Bonds. To me, the real American heroes were the soldiers, sailors and airmen who served during that horrible time. I never got emotional watching a John Wayne movie. Don't get me wrong, he is a great actor -But I did need a handkerchief while standing in front of the Tomb of Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery while a bugler played "Taps." During the changing of the guard.
            Very well said Fisherman, very well said.

Comment

Working...
            X