Exodus, Moses, and Snakes - A thought to ponder on a snowy afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodus, Moses, and Snakes - A thought to ponder on a snowy afternoon

Exodus 4 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

1 And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The Lord hath not appeared unto thee. 2 And the Lord said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod. 3 And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it. 4 And the Lord said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand: 5 that they may believe that the Lord God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath appeared unto thee.

For the record here, I'm USDA born 'n bred South Dakota farm stock. Not much "gets to me" when it comes to critters. But I gotta tell ya, I always stop 'n think when I get to this part of Exodus (and pretty much every other verse of Scripture I read, but I digress...). Cuz where I come from, we all know better than to grab a big ol' snake by the tail. I would have fled, just like Moses did. But I don't know if I'd have the faith to go back 'n pick that thing up again!

I think there's a whole lot more to learn here about handling a snake - and I think it has to do with being TOLD to take on that ol serpent vs just up and deciding to do it on your own.
    You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
    - Paul Washer
    Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
    - Lou Newton

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    For the record here, I'm USDA born 'n bred South Dakota farm stock. Not much "gets to me" when it comes to critters. But I gotta tell ya, I always stop 'n think when I get to this part of Exodus (and pretty much every other verse of Scripture I read, but I digress...). Cuz where I come from, we all know better than to grab a big ol' snake by the tail. I would have fled, just like Moses did. But I don't know if I'd have the faith to go back 'n pick that thing up again!

I think there's a whole lot more to learn here about handling a snake - and I think it has to do with being TOLD to take on that ol serpent vs just up and deciding to do it on your own.
    Very interesting, Julie.

In the previous chapter the Lord is convincing Moses to go toe to toe with Egypt. The Lord says Pharaoh will not let them go, but He will perform wonders in the midst of them and change Pharaoh's mind. Not only that, the people of Egypt will give the people precious gifts and borrow in order to give them. To a natural mind that would seem very implausible, wouldn't it.

Exo 3:19 And I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not by a mighty hand. 20 And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go. 21 And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty: 22 But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.

So in Exo 4:1-4 Moses, in obedience to God, demonstrates authority over the serpent--to loose and bind the nakhash (Gen 3:1).

After that in Exo 7, the Lord demonstrates mastery over each of Egypt's deities in turn, and ultimately His superiority and ability to deliver His people, without the arm of flesh, from the gods who are no gods and Pharaoh's army.

Pharaoh was of a hard heart (without conscience) and a law unto himself. He claimed to be a god incarnate: he could do whatever he wanted, and who could stop him--and he wielded the power of a nation. Moses was schooled in all the ways of Egypt. He had surely seen how Pharaoh's enemies died at his merciless hands.

What faith must Moses have had. The LORD God of his fathers was with him. That's our God.
    Last edited by Baruch; February 1, 2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Snakes are People Too... not

Baruch wrote:
      "What faith must Moses have had."
      Moses certainly had a lot of faith. His faith endured Pharaoh's demonic education system.
      I think Moses' parents also had enduring faith. Enough to hide their newborn baby in a basket and let it go on the Nile.

Jules wrote:
      "Cuz where I come from, we all know better than to grab a big ol' snake by the tail."

That is good sense for wild snakes.
      I usually pick up my Burmese python by the tail. It lets her know she is going to be picked up and handled. I never approach my snakes by the head. They are not very smart and hands glow red just like a rat to them. My other pythons and boas also get picked up by their tails. I grab their tails and lift them strait up and then grab their midsections. They like playtime because they don't have anything to climb on in their cages. (no tree to protect). The only exception is my one mean snake. My emerald python has to be picked up with a snake stick. This one does have a tree to protect. Emeralds will die if they don't have branches to curl up on. After this one is out of the cage and aware that it is handling time then I grab the tail with one hand and midsection with the other. It is usually a two people undertaking. The Burmese can be picked up alone but she is twelve feet long and can easily kill a lone handler. She doesn't squeeze people but if she decided to there is always another person there to peel her off. She has never misbehaved in public. She was a big hit during Sunday School at a chapel on Fort Carson.
      I get frozen rats and mice from a company in St. Louis Missouri where zoos buy from. They are sent out frozen and packed on dry ice. The rodents are humanely put to sleep. None of my snakes are venomous.

I strongly disagree with the Appalachian religious snake handlers. I see this as testing God and not true faith.

I look forward to meeting Moses in the next life.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
        Very interesting, Julie.

In the previous chapter the Lord is convincing Moses to go toe to toe with Egypt. The Lord says Pharaoh will not let them go, but He will perform wonders in the midst of them and change Pharaoh's mind. Not only that, the people of Egypt will give the people precious gifts and borrow in order to give them. To a natural mind that would seem very implausible, wouldn't it.

Exo 3:19 And I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not by a mighty hand. 20 And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go. 21 And I will give this people favour in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty: 22 But every woman shall borrow of her neighbour, and of her that sojourneth in her house, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment: and ye shall put them upon your sons, and upon your daughters; and ye shall spoil the Egyptians.

So in Exo 4:1-4 Moses, in obedience to God, demonstrates authority over the serpent--to loose and bind the nakhash (Gen 3:1).

After that in Exo 7, the Lord demonstrates mastery over each of Egypt's deities in turn, and ultimately His superiority and ability to deliver His people, without the arm of flesh, from the gods who are no gods and Pharaoh's army.

Pharaoh was of a hard heart (without conscience) and a law unto himself. He claimed to be a god incarnate: he could do whatever he wanted, and who could stop him--and he wielded the power of a nation. Moses was schooled in all the ways of Egypt. He had surely seen how Pharaoh's enemies died at his merciless hands.

What faith must Moses have had. The LORD God of his fathers was with him. That's our God.
        Hi Julie and Barry,

Thanks for your posts everyone.

Amen to what Barry said. The Lord Jesus is revealing that he created everything that exists, including Satan ( the Snake) and his servant, the king of Egypt. God reveals he created Satan by changing the rod into a snake, just as he made the King from dust. God is also revealing that He is able to give Moses power over both by giving him power over the snake.

The priests of Satan also made a snake, but the snake God made swallowed their snake. God inspired these evil priests to produce their snake, so God could reveal to all that he had power over all.

It was not Moses that had great faith, but it was The Lord who gave Moses this great faith.

I testify that God has made me sure that He was speaking to me and able to make me have absolutely no doubt at that time. God is also able to take all fear away from me in a situation, where later I could not see how I was able to do what He caused me to do.

God is able to make anyone have the faith to walk on water without doubting if He so desires.

Faith is totally a GIFT from The Lord. We only have faith if The Lord gives us faith.

Anyone who thinks they possess faith of their selves will be tested and shown, that their so called faith, is not faith in Jesus at all, but simply arrogant faith in their own faith. They will eventually see that they have no faith at all when the chips are down.

When The Lord gives me faith, He can cause me to raise the dead. If The Lord does not give me faith, I can not heal my own common cold.

Romans 4:16
        ēLiving Bible
        So Godís blessings are given to us by faith, as a free gift; we are certain to get them whether or not we follow Jewish customs if we have faith like Abrahamís, for Abraham is the father of us all when it comes to these matters of faith.
        1 Cor 12
        1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, and were carried away unto the dumb idols, as ye were led.

3 Wherefore I declare unto you, that no man speaking by the spirit of God, calleth Jesus execrable: also no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the holy Ghost.

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5 And there are diversities of administrations, but the same Lord.

6 And there are diversities of operations, but God is the same which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man, to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom: and to another the word of knowledge, by the same Spirit:

9 And to another is given faith by the same Spirit: and to another the gifts of healing, by the same Spirit:

10 And to another the operations of great works: and to another, prophecy: and to another, the discerning of spirits: and to another, diversities of tongues: and to another, the interpretation of tongues.

11 And all these things worketh one and the selfsame Spirit, distributing to every man severally as he will.
        The faith any man possesses is a free gift from God.

Grace to you
        Lou Newton

Comment

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts! I appreciate that you took so much time to think through this and reply.

Barry said:
          Moses, in obedience to God, demonstrates authority over the serpent--to loose and bind the nakhash (Gen 3:1).

Baobab said:
          I strongly disagree with the Appalachian religious snake handlers. I see this as testing God and not true faith.

I look forward to meeting Moses in the next life.
          (and we might need to talk about your snakes in another thread - WOW!)

And Lou:
          It was not Moses that had great faith, but it was The Lord who gave Moses this great faith.

Faith. Faith in the Lord. Faith from the Lord. With it, all things are possible. Without it, nothing is possible.
          You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
          - Paul Washer
          Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
          - Lou Newton

Comment

Working...
          X