Jeremiah 17:9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremiah 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9)

Think on this as applied to yourself:
    What would I see if I could see myself from your eyes?

What I saw was not very pleasant :(
    You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
    - Paul Washer
    Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
    - Lou Newton

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    Think on this as applied to yourself:
    What would I see if I could see myself from your eyes?

What I saw was not very pleasant :(
    Amen, Julie. That is a humbling exercise.

I don't look very good to myself when I take an honest look. It doesn't even have to be a hard look.

I probably look better to men, because I hide my worst and present my best.

But God knows my heart. He covers my transgressions, they are between me and Him [edit:not between, as in a hindrance; but kept in confidence]. I'm sure I have forgotten many of my transgressions. Thank you, Jesus, thanks to you the Father doesn't remember them, either.

Sometimes I recall a bad one and I wince, or it throws me into a guilt spin. Thanks be to Jesus, who does not accuse us. Satan is the accuser. The blood of Jesus has defeated the accuser.

Comment

Same here. Why is it that in the stillness of night, out thoughts wander over every mistake, every sin? Is it because that is when the Holy Spirit can reach in to our minds or is it that Satan uses this stillness to harass us and make us forget that we are forgiven of every confessed sin?

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeLinda View Post
        Same here. Why is it that in the stillness of night, out thoughts wander over every mistake, every sin? Is it because that is when the Holy Spirit can reach in to our minds or is it that Satan uses this stillness to harass us and make us forget that we are forgiven of every confessed sin?
        Hi Linda,

Whoever has reminded us we can use it for good.

We can remember our sins and be made humble about our condition of being mere flesh.

Then we can remember that we are forgiven of these great sins, if we have confessed them to The Lord Jesus and be thankful for His great mercy and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeLinda View Post
          Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
          Hi Linda,

We can remember our sins and be made humble about our condition of being mere flesh.

Then we can remember that we are forgiven of these great sins, if we have confessed them to The Lord Jesus and be thankful for His great mercy and grace.
          Amen, Lou. I like what you said. We should have a mind that all things can be used to bring us closer to Jesus.

Linda, you ask a good question and stimulated me to more thought.

Condemnation--condemning words, thoughts and feelings--come from multiple sources. Men condemn us with their words. When we sin, we bear the condemnation. It seems spirits like to work at night--deceiving, seducing, and buffeting--when our mind drifts and our will is less vigilant: condemnation is of buffeting. And when our mind drifts, our flesh also works against us, the Spirit, and Christ.

If men, then Paul says in 1Co 4:3-2 it is a very small thing to be judged of men, or of man's judgement: the Lord judges us. The Lord's judgement is greater than all.

1Jn 2:1 says if we sin we have an advocate with the Father, "Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." We know how to approach God if we sin, and He is full of grace and mercy.

1Jn 3:20 tells us if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart and knows all things. We should trust God more than our heart, to reveal truth and righteousness to us, and to judge righteously, and in patience, gentleness, and longsuffering.

Jas 4:7 advises us to submit ourselves to God, resist the devil and he will flee from us. Jesus resisted Satan in the desert, and Satan left Him for a season.

I used to fret (obsess) over some of the dark things I've done: like some ugly scar I'd rather examine and pick at than trust God to cover and heal. Lately, when the reminders come up I acknowledge them and the emotions they dredge up--they are my reminder to not tread there--then I give them to God and ask for His blessing as He knows best. The goodness of God leads us to repentance (Rom 2:4). And godly sorrow works repentance unto salvation (2Co 7:10). Either way we are covered by the blood of Jesus. Thanks be to Him, in whom is mercy and grace forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
            Amen, Lou. I like what you said. We should have a mind that all things can be used to bring us closer to Jesus.

Linda, you ask a good question and stimulated me to more thought.

Condemnation--condemning words, thoughts and feelings--come from multiple sources. Men condemn us with their words. When we sin, we bear the condemnation. It seems spirits like to work at night--deceiving, seducing, and buffeting--when our mind drifts and our will is less vigilant: condemnation is of buffeting. And when our mind drifts, our flesh also works against us, the Spirit, and Christ.

If men, then Paul says in 1Co 4:3-2 it is a very small thing to be judged of men, or of man's judgement: the Lord judges us. The Lord's judgement is greater than all.

1Jn 2:1 says if we sin we have an advocate with the Father, "Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." We know how to approach God if we sin, and He is full of grace and mercy.

1Jn 3:20 tells us if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart and knows all things. We should trust God more than our heart, to reveal truth and righteousness to us, and to judge righteously, and in patience, gentleness, and longsuffering.

Jas 4:7 advises us to submit ourselves to God, resist the devil and he will flee from us. Jesus resisted Satan in the desert, and Satan left Him for a season.

I used to fret (obsess) over some of the dark things I've done: like some ugly scar I'd rather examine and pick at than trust God to cover and heal. Lately, when the reminders come up I acknowledge them and the emotions they dredge up--they are my reminder to not tread there--then I give them to God and ask for His blessing as He knows best. The goodness of God leads us to repentance (Rom 2:4). And godly sorrow works repentance unto salvation (2Co 7:10). Either way we are covered by the blood of Jesus. Thanks be to Him, in whom is mercy and grace forever.
            Amen to that Barry......................Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
              Hi Linda,

So very true. An attack from the enemy intended to bring shame can easily be turned around for our edification and God's glory. We can even turn the most persistent attacks of condemnation into praise sessions. A good way to start is by thanking the devil for reminding us of how much sin and depravity God has washed away to buy our pardon. Then praise Jesus for saving us and making us into new creations for his glory.

Blane

Comment

Working...
              X