Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus is the Way

John 14 Jesus Comforts His Disciples

1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.
    2My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?
    3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
    4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” Jesus the Way to the Father

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
    6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
    7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
    8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
    9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
    10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
    11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

Jesus said, He is The Way.

Notice, Jesus did not say that to stop sinning was the way. He also did not say going to a church meeting was the way, or obeying church leaders was the way. Jesus, Himself, is The Way. The Way is not a formula, or set of rules, but He is a person.

1 Cor 15
    If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
    45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being” ; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.
    46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual.
    47 The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven.
    48 As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven.
    49 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man.
    50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
    51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed—
    52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
    53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.
    54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”
    55 “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?”
    56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
    57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. - In other words, whatever is true in the natural, will also be true in the spiritual; or the natural is a sign of the spiritual. Mere men can not see, hear, or touch the spiritual on their own accord. Men can only sense the spiritual with the help of The Lord.

God has created the natural world so man can see The Truth in the natural and then apply that truth to the spiritual.

We can learn truth by observing The Lord's natural world with His help.

When I was teaching High School back in 1975-1983 there were three other teachers in the school, that I taught in ,that were friends. One night we were having a contest. Whoever won, got to choose an event that we all had to take part in. Well we decided it ended in a four way tie, so we all had to do each other's events. One guy was the national points leader in motorcycle enduro cross country racing. So we all had to enter the Blackwater 100 in Tennessee.

That race is a cross country motorcycles race that is 100 miles long. It does not follow roads or even trails, but goes cross country in a way that few people could even walk. It goes up and down very steep hills, it goes through soupy mud that is three feet deep and hundreds of yards long. This race is only for expert riders. So most of us had no business entering it.

To practice for that race we all went down to a place that was very rough country. We followed Don ( one of the best enduro racers in the US) to a place where he stopped. He had stopped at the top of a hill so steep that most people would call it a cliff. He said, you guys may want to go around a different way instead of going down this hill. I looked down it and inside, yelled in terror. But outside, I said, no problem. I was afraid to admit that it was too much for me. There are many different kinds of cowards. The other two new guys went around, but watched me before they left. That was good decision if one likes to be entertained by the folly of others.

The hill was so long and steep that you had to drag your brake so you did not pick up too much speed. If you braked too hard, the tires would slide and you would lose control. There was a large rock the size of my dinning room with a very narrow path between it and a very large tree ( about 5 feet in diameter). The tree was father downhill than the rock, so I feared hitting the tree more than the rock. Now Don clearly told me NOT to look at the rock or the tree or I would hit the one I was looking at. He said, you have to look at nothing but the path in between them. What made it so difficult was the fact that you had to ride down the hill at an angle instead of straight down the hill.

I heard what he said, but my fear of the tree took over. I tried to look at the path in between them, but could not take my eyes off of the tree. I went down the hill and drove right into the side of the tree as I tried to go in between them. My motorcycle went end over end down the hill and I did the same. I had the wind knocked out of me and could not respond when they asked if I was OK. My bike was flooded by going end over end and it took a lot of kicks to get it started again. It was a Maico 400 and you did not want to kick it half way and get kicked back. I did that ONCE and walked with a limp for a couple of weeks.

So we rode the rest of the course ( with a couple of bad falls on the way) and came to that same cliff that some fools called a hill. This time my fear was not the tree, but I feared falling like that again. It really hurt. So I forced myself to look at NOTHING but the path, and not to even glance for a second at the tree or the rock. Just a glance ,at that tree or rock,for a mirco second would mean disaster. I looked at the path with every ounce of intensity that I possessed, and went right in between the two. I got down the hill without falling and without pain.

I learned a very valuable lesson that day.

YOU HAVE TO FOCUS ON THE WAY, NOT YOUR FEARS

If we focus on our sin, that we fear will defeat us, then it will.

If we focus on Jesus, who is The Way, He will deliver us from that same sin.

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.

Lou Newton
    Last edited by Lou Newton; June 22, 2016, 01:38 PM.

Photo of Maico 400 - my bike was just like this one, even the same color. This bike would accelerate so hard that it would make your eyes water and you could not keep the front end down. Yes, it was only a 400, but it was a two stroke and built for racing. It only weighed 225# and even if you leaned out over the handlebars you could not keep the front end from coming off the ground under full throttle.

The first radial came out in 1972 and the 400 became the bike of choice for anyone who wanted to go fast. You could go down to Carlsbad or Saddleback Park, and the starting line would be filled with Maico radials. And most of the races were won with those bikes.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; June 22, 2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

As I looked back to these days when this took place, I am made aware of how many lessons The Lord taught me in this one experience of motorcycles racing. I could tell many many stories like this one.

Enduro races leave one racer start every few seconds to space them out over the course. My one friend, who had never rode before we started on this venture, started a few places in front of me; so he had maybe a minute head start. I caught him very quickly as the course went from a dirt logging trail to go straight up a very steep rocky hill ( the rocks were about a foot in diameter). He did not want to even try to go up that hill and tried to stop, but he slid and went down. To my amazement no one stopped, but they simply ran over him and kept on going.

So I stopped a little distance past the turn up the hill and got off of my bike to help him. I was able to help him up and off of the trail. I think everyone would have run over him and his bike if I had not helped him.

He was afraid of getting hurt if he went up the hill. As I got back on my bike, I heard him muttering that he would have been far better off just trying to go up the hill. Looking back, I can see he did not have the ability to go up that hill. But his fear of the hill caused him to panic and stop too quick. I stopped to help him, and did not get run over, because I stopped further down the road.

Our fears can cause us to make very foolish decisions. Whatever we come to face, we do not have to fear. For Jesus said:

10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
      11 “All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish.
      12 Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all.
      13 For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Comment

This thread has given me some good things to think about. Thank you, Lou.

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
        10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
        11 ďAll who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish.
        12 Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all.
        13 For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
        Isaiah 41. This is one of my favorite passages.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
          This thread has given me some good things to think about. Thank you, Lou.

Isaiah 41. This is one of my favorite passages.
          Thanks for the reply Barry. How thankful I am that Jesus is always with us. It is a good thing for me that He does not require me to deserve for Him to be with me. He likes to be with me and I like to be with Him.

Comment

Great thread Lou. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
              Great thread Lou. Thanks
              Thanks for the reply Steve. I was thinking of you as I wrote it.

When I first gave my life to my Creator, my wife had left me and the children. I was very distraught and so had the radio on listening to preachers all night as I slept. Then I did the same with the TV. I became addicted to the TV. I always had to have it on and could not seem to stop watching it. When I became aware of my problem it was too late, I was already addicted. The more I tired to overcome this addiction, the more I failed.

I "just so happened" to see a little pamphlet by David Wilkerson titled "we can not out box sin", or something like that. His point was that if we get in the boxing ring with any sin, it will beat us to a pulp.

So I picked up my Bible and started reading. The problem with that was it read like the Wall Street Journal. But I kept reading anyhow. I see now that was just a test to see if I was really serious about it. It was not long before the Lord started pointing out questions to me about the Holy Scriptures. Then He would reveal the answer to that question later as I read. The Bible became the most exciting book I had ever read. In fact reading it became to most exciting thing I had ever done in my life.

Months later, the Lord stopped me while I was reading one day, and He pointed to the TV. He asked, what happened to your addiction ? Suddenly I was aware that I had not turned on the TV in over 6 months, even once.

The Lord took away my addiction for dung in a tin can(TV) and fed me fillet on a gold platter instead. I will forever be thankful.

I LOST NOTHING AND GAINED EVERYTHING.

No one will ever lose anything trusting The Lord Jesus to save them. Although it will cost them everything they have.

BUT I gave up dung and got gold instead.

The person who possesses Christ possesses everything and lacks not one thing.
              Last edited by Lou Newton; June 23, 2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I have trouble with that like all of us. I am tricked into believing the dung is what I want or need. It's only the Lord's mercy that opens our eyes and allows us to see things for what they are.

Comment

I have trouble with that like all of us. I am tricked into believing the dung is what I want or need. It's only the Lord's mercy that opens our eyes and allows us to see things for what they are.
                  All of mankind does that Steve, so you are not alone.

Everything that comes from God is good. There is nothing that comes from God that is not good.

If anything is not from God it is not good. Most think that there are neutral things that are not good or evil.

But in the beginning there was darkness that was not good. God said, let there be light, which was good.

God is light and there is NO DARKNESS IN HIM AT ALL.

1 John 1

5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

There is no gray in light. Gray is white with black mixed into it.

No one wants to drink water with a little poison mixed into it.

Before God created the world there was darkness. God kept bring forth light, or kept bringing forth good.

The first chapter of Genesis is not about six days of time; it is about, "there was darkness, but God brought forth light". He kept having victory over the darkness.

Without God there is darkness. With God there is light.

Man is impatient and worries about time. He desires God to create the world in an instant so he can believe that God will fix all of his problems in an instant. Many will shun anyone who does not believe in his instant mash potatoes six 24 hour day creation. But God did not mention any 24 hour days, but only six days.

God is not concerned about time. He existed before He created time in the beginning. He is not in a hurry about anything.

Even foolish men that do not believe that God exists know that there is no time without space. They know that space effects time and time effects space. There was no time before God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning. The beginning was the beginning of time.

We live in the natural world and natural men are concerned about the natural. Spiritual men walk in the spirit and are concerned with the spirit.

Men who walk in the spirit walk in the light and shun the darkness.

Men who walk in the natural, are concerned about the natural and walk in the darkness.

Men who walk in the natural form their own idols that justifies their concern with the natural. They will desire to keep anyone who does not worship their idol away from them. That is simply the spirit of murder. For to kill someone is to put them away from you for the rest of your natural days. Of course that murderer will face his victim at the Judgement.

John said by The Holy Spirit:

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.
                  10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble.
                  11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.

I did not write this, and this did not come from John. But it came from The Holy Spirit.

If you want anyone to be away from you, or you are avoiding someone because of some doctrine that does not agree with your doctrine, you should seek God and ask Him if you are walking in darkness over this.

I do not condemn anyone. But simply remind everyone of what God has said.

I can think of no man that I hate. I would like to fellowship and discuss The Lord with any man who is on this earth.

Lou Newton
                  Last edited by Lou Newton; June 24, 2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I agree my brother, but there are some people I prefer to not be around and it is not hatred but vexation I receive from their presence.
                    I have no hatred that I can find in my heart, but rather I feel pain and suffering from all the hurt caused me by many people. I feel no remorse from them and therefore I want a separation between us and deliverance from their presence. Some of these people are people I have done much for.
                    Last edited by Steve Hollander; June 24, 2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I agree my brother, but there are some people I prefer to not be around and it is not hatred but vexation I receive from their presence.
                      I have no hatred that I can find in my heart, but rather I feel pain and suffering from all the hurt caused me by many people. I feel no remorse from them and therefore I want a separation between us and deliverance from their presence. Some of these people are people I have done much for.
                      I agree with that Steve.

But there is a difference between not seeking someone out because they mistreat you and avoiding someone because they do not agree with your doctrine.

For instance: I certainly do not agree with Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons, but I always invite them into my house to talk to them. I remember one JW lady who kept coming back and I kept inviting her and her partner in. (she went through several partners). She was not abusive and did not get angry, so she kept coming back for years. Finally she stopped coming when she seen that she was not going to get me to come to her JW meeting.

I remember two Mormons who came several times to my house, until I showed them in the original book of Mormon, that was kept at the Kirkland Temple, ( it was built by Joseph Smith before he as killed) that it was written four places in that copy that Jesus was God Almighty. When the Mormons moved on to Utah they seen this contradiction with Smith's so called prophecies and changed these places. This proves they put their doctrine above what they claim was written by God. It also proves that God did not write the Book of Mormon because God does not contradict Himself.

The one man got so angry that his face got really red and he got up and left. I am convinced that he wanted to kill me. He had a very hard time restraining himself. But if he came to my door and wanted to talk, I would talk to him as long as he was not abusive.

But I know people who shun me and tell people to avoid me because I teach the days in Genesis 1 are not 24 hour days, but God is simply talking about the coming of light. They have mistreated my children and tried to turn my own children against me. They have done this because they disagree with my doctrine.

There is a difference between not seeking someone out to keep peace and shunning someone because they do not agree with your doctrine.

I think you will agree with this and I think you practice this. I write this for the benefit of anyone who may read and not understand.

Again the words of The Lord:

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.
                      10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble.
                      11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.

Lou Newton
                      Last edited by Lou Newton; June 25, 2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Amen Lou.

Comment

Amen Lou.
                          Thanks for the reply Steve.

I get emails from several sites that I used to write on their site. I got am email some time ago that was simply giving reasons that Trump was a bad choice. There was no mention of Hillary in it. I sent a reply asking the author if he wanted us to vote for Hillary. He sent a reply back with kind of snarky language saying he did not support Hillary. I sent a reply back, saying if we send out info against Trump and say nothing about Hillary, then that is support of Hillary. All men are evil and we always have to vote for the lessor of two evils.

In our exchange he called me several names and was insulting to me. I responded with a message that was truthful, but trying to be as kind and gentile as I could. I told him that he had gave several prophecies that I was not aware of and I posted a message on his site that disagreed with it. He had replied with very rude words to me. I told him that his prophecy did not come to past and was not true, but my post was not given as prophecy but did come true exactly. I went on to say that he never did apologize to me for his rude remarks and his prophecy that did not come true. I told him that it is always best to ask The Lord to forgive us for He is full of mercy and grace. It is only the proud that refuse to repent that will be punished. I also told them I had much compassion for them.

I got back a reply from his partner calling me a liar and they were sorry that they ever knew me. They told me that they did not want my compassion.

In light of the passage that the Holy Spirit wrote through John this was very sad to me.

If we disagree with our bother it is not necessary to be rude and unkind to them. We can disagree with courtesy and kindness. We should always speak to others the same way we would want others to speak to us.

Comment

I agree Lou. Our enemy knows our weaknesses and exploits them.

Comment

Good thread. I agree that you have to keep your eyes on Jesus to escape our evil hearts. If we worry about fear, then fear will overcome us. If we don't worry about fear and are proud, then pride will overcome us. It would seem we have no choice but to keep our eyes on Jesus. One of the things that's hardest for me is to not be upset when someone blasts me for disagreeing, or keeps repeating the same error. I need to see myself repeating error after error to keep humble. Really, I can't do that. God has to help me.

Comment

Working...
                              X