Dying not Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying not Death

About death: Once there is death there is no issue to be considered.
    Everything from this world has been permanently set.
    Dying is the issue which is of our concern.
    The word dying has no other meanings other than those dealing with death
    or, more broadly, ceasing to exist in this world.

There is a fixed ratio except for the biblical examples of Enoch and Elijah.
    That ration is a death for every birth Ė a one to one ratio.
    At every birth there ought to be the recognition that this new life ends in death.
    Death ought to be the expectation of every person.

Considering the cause of a Christianís death should dying be faced differently?
    Should dying be faced differently if it is from cancer or illness?
    Should dying be faced differently when one is young?
    Should dying be faced differently if young children are left behind?
    Should dying be faced differently if it is from violence?
    Should dying be faced differently if one is a Christian martyr?
    Should dying be faced differently if one is old?
    Should being a Christian determine how one faces death?

Therefore, as Christians how should we face death and dying?
    How should Christians pray when we are dying?
    When dying what should Christians be expressing?
    Should Christians desire to continue living or desire to meet the Lord?

There may be no better guide for our answers than found in the Apostle Paulís statement in Philippians 1:21 (KJV).
    ďFor to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.Ē

Christians are repeatedly asked to pray for those who are dying.
    The presumption in such request is that Christians will pray that the person should not die.

Should Christians resist death or should death be embraced as a step in sanctification?
    The Christians who have lived close to the Lord die marvelously in spite of pain and suffering.
    Doctors and nurses, pastors and friends stand in awe of the faith and peace exhibited by these saints.
    The same faith may be observed in those whose loved one has died.

I suppose how one accepts death depends upon their relationship with the Father and upon what is believed about death.

I'm scared. Scared of death and dying. I trust the Lord to save me,but I'm a man and I'm weak and cowardly. All my confidence and strength is an act or a mask that comes off when I am alone or with loved ones. I hope even the pathetic people make it, because I'm one of them. I believe but I am so flawed that I don't belong there with all the godly saints. If I am going to heaven, it isn't cause of anything I did. It's because of my generous and forgiving Father and Savior. Thank you Lord in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
      I'm scared. Scared of death and dying. I trust the Lord to save me,but I'm a man and I'm weak and cowardly. All my confidence and strength is an act or a mask that comes off when I am alone or with loved ones. I hope even the pathetic people make it, because I'm one of them. I believe but I am so flawed that I don't belong there with all the godly saints. If I am going to heaven, it isn't cause of anything I did. It's because of my generous and forgiving Father and Savior. Thank you Lord in advance.
      My dear mother, though not Jewish, once I became aware of the stereotype of the Jewish mother it fit my mother perfectly. You will recognize it when I brought home a straight "A" report card mother would say that is great, but she knew I can do better by learning more and repeating these grades next time. For a Jewish mother perfect is not good enough. It is the Jewish mother's way of encouragement.

But on the other hand, it is this mother who taught me the truth, Steve, every time I said something like your quoted words above. I knew from childhood I was too sinful to be saved. In my eyes my sin outweighed the Lord's grace. Mother always told me the same story each time - the story of the sins of King David. If this wretched man could be a man after the Lord's heart, there was hope for me.

Acts 13:22 KJV
      And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will.

We all know what King David did and the terrible results found in 2nd Samuel 11:1 Ė 12:24.

I will, however, point out one verse from the midst of this account that is extremely important to note, found in 12:10, which says:

And now, the sword shall not depart from your house unto forever, on account that you despised Me, and you took the wife of UriYah the Hitti to be a wife for yourself.

This is a grim and horrible prophecy spoken by the Holy One through the mouth of the prophet Nathan to King David. Due to King Davidís sin of adultery with Bathsheba and murder of her husband Uriah the Hittite, there would be a sword, which is to say, the threat of no peace, upon his family.

The awareness this prophecy always causes me to recall these terrible things:
      King Davidís son Amnon raped King Davidís other son Absalomís beautiful sister Tamar.
      Absalom murdered Amnon.
      Absalom burns the barley field of General Joab.
      Absalom deposes his father from the throne in Jerusalem by instigating and leading a rebellion against King David.
      Absalom copulates with his father's concubines.
      Absalom is killed by General Joab.
      A second rebellion is lead by the Benjaminite Shebaand son of Bichri. All of the Israeli soldiers not in the the army of Judah abandoned David to follow him.
      King David's son Adonijah leads a rebellion against his father.
      General Joab abandons King David to support Adonijah.
      After King Solomon the wars among the kingdom of Israel splits the nation into two nations.
      Finally, the successive tragic rules of the kings of Judah which were all kings of David's descent.

If such a sinner as King David who caused such tragic consequences could be proclaimed in the synagogue of the City of Antioch on the Sabbath day by the Apostle Paul proclaiming the words of the Lord, ". . . David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will," of what shall we now fear or fail to rejoice in the hope of our own salvation?

King David reminds me of the power of divine grace in sin and even in death.
      Last edited by glen smith; December 24, 2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks Glen for the reminder that His grace IS sufficient for me. Merry Christmas brother. And to everyone here on the forum. Blessings

Comment

Dying Ė who is remembering?

The aspect of New Yearís Eve I find most helpful are those lists of the famous people who have died during the year. Why?

1. Such deaths are a reminder that that death comes to everyone without regard to their fame, power, and wealth.

2. Only the older people will remember those who were famous many years ago.

3. All the famous people who died will not be remembered much by future generations.

4. After the death of all the famous people living on January 1st, their memory will also fade with time.

It is assumed many will find these observations depressing.
          If so, might it be because we think we are more important than we are?

Those lists each New Yearís Eve of famous people who have died during the year are annual reminders not to think too much of ourselves and to think more about God who is eternal. And with such thoughts comes the realization that after I am dead and long gone there will be none in the land that knows I ever lived, and the knowledge that there remains not a single person in the land who remembers is of no concern. Why is that? It is because of these verses that we will be known by God and His knowledge lasts forever and ever.

1 Corinthians 8:3 But if anyone loves God, he is known by God.
          Galatians 4:9a But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God,

Those lists of who have died in some instances makes me sad, but their deaths remind me that I shall never be unknown to God, and that makes a happy new year.
          May your new year be a happy one for the same reason.
          Last edited by glen smith; January 1, 2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks Glen. Happy New year to everyone here. Blessings to everyone and a good year coming.
            Not only will the famous people be forgotten, but who even remembers their own relatives more than a couple of generations back? How many people know the name of their fathers grandfather? And I never met anyone who knew the name of their grandfather's grandfather. So we are very unimportant and thankfully, God knows us forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
              Thanks Glen. Happy New year to everyone here. Blessings to everyone and a good year coming.
              Not only will the famous people be forgotten, but who even remembers their own relatives more than a couple of generations back? How many people know the name of their fathers grandfather? And I never met anyone who knew the name of their grandfather's grandfather. So we are very unimportant and thankfully, God knows us forever.
              I hope you have a happy new year Steve.

Comment

Thanks Lou. I wish you the same without any health issues. I pray for your complete healing. Blessings on you Brother. We love you here at the Hollander farm. I hope the Lord blesses us with your presence for a good long time. Happy new year brother.

Comment

Working...
                X