Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matthew 16:25

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Matthew 16:25

    This verse has been on my heart for several days. It's one that all of you are familiar with. I'm including the surrounding verses to help preserve the context of the passage, but would like to hear what others have been shown regarding Matthew 16:25.


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    20
    Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

    21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
    22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
    23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
    24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

    25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

    26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
    27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
    28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Blane View Post
    This verse has been on my heart for several days. It's one that all of you are familiar with. I'm including the surrounding verses to help preserve the context of the passage, but would like to hear what others have been shown regarding Matthew 16:25.


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    20
    Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

    21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
    22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
    23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
    24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

    25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

    26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
    27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
    28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
    Well it says - and then he shall reward every man according to his works. - of course we are also told by Jesus this:

    John 6
    28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

    29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
    But the verse you have asked about:

    ." 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.
    Many claim they want to follow Jesus, but they do not want to take up their cross to do so. What did Jesus do on the cross, He died in the flesh. We are to do the same, to die in the flesh on our cross.

    We do not commit suicide, and neither did Jesus. He let them crucify Him on the cross. There were those who went around beating their flesh with chains etc. This brings pain in the flesh, but not the soul. When others crucify us for things we have not even done, that is very painful in the soul. Especially if it is our loved ones who crucify us. It was the children of Jesus, who crucified Him.

    When people beat themselves to crucify the flesh, it bring pride, not humility.

    We must also let ourselves be crucified in the flesh on our cross.

    The thing about being crucified, is that it is a slow agonizing death. It is not a one time deal. It takes a long time. But the more dead our flesh becomes the less pain there is, for dead men feel no pain.

    Those who refuse to allow this, will lose their eternal life.

    Those who take up their cross and follow Jesus, will gain their eternal life.

    Another way to look at this is those who keep control of their life, or keep their life themselves will lose their eternal life.

    Those that give up their life to Jesus and ask Him to be in charge of their life, Jesus will save their eternal life. Of course Jesus saves us by allowing us to be crucified in the flesh,

    I am eager to see what this verse means to others.

    Grace to you
    Lou Newton

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Blane View Post
      25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

      26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
      The exact same word used for "life" twice in verse 25 is used for soul in verse 26 as well.

      I think maybe we can have a say in how much of our soul will or will not go with us into glory. If we will fully give ourselves to the Lord, we can surely come into an abundant heritage in the life to come.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
        We do not commit suicide, and neither did Jesus. He let them crucify Him on the cross.
        I was thinking the other day about the fact that one cannot crucify them self on a cross. One could hang them self from a tree with a rope. But one can only nail one wrist to the cross beam. One cannot nail both wrists, and their feet, let alone lift their crossbeam onto it's post after all the arms are secured to the crossbeam.

        Also, I don't think there are any points awarded for staying alive longer once one is up on the cross. No one gets any kudos for staying up there for 2-3 days instead of a day or less.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Travis View Post
          I was thinking the other day about the fact that one cannot crucify them self on a cross. One could hang them self from a tree with a rope. But one can only nail one wrist to the cross beam. One cannot nail both wrists, and their feet, let alone lift their crossbeam onto it's post after all the arms are secured to the crossbeam.

          Also, I don't think there are any points awarded for staying alive longer once one is up on the cross. No one gets any kudos for staying up there for 2-3 days instead of a day or less.
          Hi Travis,

          Good comments. These are good things to think about........................Lou

          Comment


          • #6
            After reading the wonderful replies this also came to mind:

            26b What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

            It's a rhetorical question. All that we had that meant anything to us we were given by the Creator of heaven and earth and even our souls. Do they really belong to us, even while we may think we possess them? Can we of our own agency protect them from Godly wrath, Satan's affliction, or even mere men?

            5 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

            The perspective in part (a): *I* will save my soul. But how, a sheer act of will? Science? Magic? Being good? Insistent denial? Purchase it? The end of these ways amounts to a total loss.

            The perspective in part (b) Lou answered superbly. I cannot add to it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Travis View Post
              The exact same word used for "life" twice in verse 25 is used for soul in verse 26 as well.

              I think maybe we can have a say in how much of our soul will or will not go with us into glory. If we will fully give ourselves to the Lord, we can surely come into an abundant heritage in the life to come.
              That's interesting, Travis...the part about the words "soul" and "life" being interchanged.

              It brings Gen 2:7 to mind...


              7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
                Well it says - and then he shall reward every man according to his works. - of course we are also told by Jesus this:



                But the verse you have asked about:



                Many claim they want to follow Jesus, but they do not want to take up their cross to do so. What did Jesus do on the cross, He died in the flesh. We are to do the same, to die in the flesh on our cross.

                We do not commit suicide, and neither did Jesus. He let them crucify Him on the cross. There were those who went around beating their flesh with chains etc. This brings pain in the flesh, but not the soul. When others crucify us for things we have not even done, that is very painful in the soul. Especially if it is our loved ones who crucify us. It was the children of Jesus, who crucified Him.

                When people beat themselves to crucify the flesh, it bring pride, not humility.

                We must also let ourselves be crucified in the flesh on our cross.

                The thing about being crucified, is that it is a slow agonizing death. It is not a one time deal. It takes a long time. But the more dead our flesh becomes the less pain there is, for dead men feel no pain.

                Those who refuse to allow this, will lose their eternal life.

                Those who take up their cross and follow Jesus, will gain their eternal life.

                Another way to look at this is those who keep control of their life, or keep their life themselves will lose their eternal life.

                Those that give up their life to Jesus and ask Him to be in charge of their life, Jesus will save their eternal life. Of course Jesus saves us by allowing us to be crucified in the flesh,

                I am eager to see what this verse means to others.

                Grace to you
                Lou Newton
                A very sobering perspective, Lou. I think you're probably right on. Sometimes I wonder if the tares might far out number the wheat in the church world. By out number, I mean in a big way. Like maybe by a margin of fifty to one. Or maybe even worse. Only eight souls were saved among the millions who lived on the earth during Noah's flood. I know, I know...God's grace hadn't been revealed yet through the Gospel of Jesus when Noah's wicked generation drowned. But even still, Jesus warned fervently in the Gospel accounts that wide is the way that leads to destruction, and many will go therein. He also taught his disciples that hard is the way that leads to life, and only a few will find it.

                Blane

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Blane View Post
                  A very sobering perspective, Lou. I think you're probably right on. Sometimes I wonder if the tares might far out number the wheat in the church world. By out number, I mean in a big way. Like maybe by a margin of fifty to one. Or maybe even worse. Only eight souls were saved among the millions who lived on the earth during Noah's flood. I know, I know...God's grace hadn't been revealed yet through the Gospel of Jesus when Noah's wicked generation drowned. But even still, Jesus warned fervently in the Gospel accounts that wide is the way that leads to destruction, and many will go therein. He also taught his disciples that hard is the way that leads to life, and only a few will find it.

                  Blane
                  Sobering indeed. It should make us very thankful and very humble that The Lord has shown us the mercy that he has.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X