Matthew 22:14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew 22:14

Here's a fascinating passage of scripture. Does anyone have any comments, revelation knowledge, or personal insight regarding the 14th verse, highlighted below in blue?

(Also, any insight or comments regarding verses 11-12 would be appreciated)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 22 King James Version (KJV)

22 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
    2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
    3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
    4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
    5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
    6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
    7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
    8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
    9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
    10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
    11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
    13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    ,14 For many are called but few are chosen.

Originally posted by Blane View Post
    12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
    I think for many weddings at this time, the wedding garments were provided by the host of the wedding. If that's the case here, it would seem this man did not want to wear the wedding garment's which were provided for some reason.

I look forward to other's responses to these passages,

Travis

Comment

Is this verse similar to the parable of the ten virgins of whom five had their lamps trimmed with oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
        I think for many weddings at this time, the wedding garments were provided by the host of the wedding. If that's the case here, it would seem this man did not want to wear the wedding garment's which were provided for some reason.

I look forward to other's responses to these passages,

Travis
        Hi Travis,

Thanks for your kind response. Yes, maybe this parable has much to do with first century wedding customs.

I've always assumed the correct wedding garment is the Righteousness of Christ imputed to the wedding guest by grace through faith in the Gospel. It's puzzled me for years as to how this guest even made it past the ushers and temporarily gained entry to the wedding. Maybe some tares look so much like wheat that only Jesus knows they were never born from above.

Blane

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeLinda View Post
          Is this verse similar to the parable of the ten virgins of whom five had their lamps trimmed with oil?
          Hi Linda,

Thanks for your question. I do see similarities in both parables regarding faithfulness and obedience being used as evidence that saving faith exists. The parable of the ten virgins can be found in the first part of MT 25, but Jesus is referencing the closing verses of Chapter 24 when he mentions the ten virgins...

Matthew 24:35-25:13King James Version (KJV)

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
          36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
          37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
          38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
          39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
          40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
          41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
          42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
          43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
          44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
          45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
          46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
          47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
          48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
          49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
          50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
          51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
          25 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
          3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
          4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
          5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
          6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
          7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
          8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
          9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
          10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
          11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
          12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
          13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Comment

Here's a fascinating passage of scripture. Does anyone have any comments, revelation knowledge, or personal insight regarding the 14th verse, highlighted below in blue?

(Also, any insight or comments regarding verses 11-12 would be appreciated)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 22 King James Version (KJV)

22 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
            2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
            3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
            4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
            5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
            6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
            7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
            8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
            9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
            10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
            11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
            ,14 For many are called but few are chosen.
            I am reminded of this scripture in Isaiah:

Isaiah 4:1 NIV

In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, "We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!"
            The seven woman are the seven churches. They will take hold of One Man, Jesus Christ, and say, we will eat our own food, instead of feeding on your words, we will believe our own doctrine. And we will provide our own clothes, that is we will be covered by our own works, instead of being covered by your blood.

But they are aware of the fact they have sinned and need the forgiveness of Jesus. So they say let us be called by your Name, or let us be called Christians, take away our disgrace. Of course they can not have their sin taken away by being "called" Christians and going to church.

The wedding clothes are being covered by the blood of Jesus. These wedding clothes are provided by the Bridegroom, Jesus. The one wedding guest that did not "wear" the covering that Jesus provided was thrown out.

For many are called but few are chosen
            This is simply a summary of the parable that Jesus told.

The Jews were told of the coming of The Christ and His wedding supper where He marries His bride, in The Holy Scriptures. But they murdered the prophets that God sent them.

So God sent the Roman army to destroy Jerusalem.

Then God sent prophets, like Paul, to the other nations to tell them about Christ.

They all were invited to the Wedding of Christ. But those that appeared and were not covered by the blood of Christ were thrown out.

The last verse is simply a summary of the whole parable:

Many are called - the heaven declare His glory and everyone on the earth has been called to seek The Creator of everything that exists.

But few are chosen - only those who accept the forgiveness of God by the blood of Jesus and trust Jesus, and nothing else, to save then will be allowed to remain at the wedding supper. The blood of Jesus is the required wedding garments, anyone without that garment will be thrown out. Notice there is ONLY ONE requirement to be invited to the wedding of Jesus, that is to wear the garment and be covered by His blood.

Grace to you
            Lou Newton
            Last edited by Lou Newton; September 24, 2014, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

They all were invited to the Wedding of Christ. But those that appeared and were not covered by the blood of Christ were thrown out.
              Like this?
              Matthew 13
              47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: 48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away. 49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, 50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The last verse is simply a summary of the whole parable:

Many are called - the heaven declare His glory and everyone on the earth has been called to seek The Creator of everything that exists.

But few are chosen - only those who accept the forgiveness of God by the blood of Jesus and trust Jesus, and nothing else, to save then will be allowed to remain at the wedding supper. The blood of Jesus is the required wedding garments, anyone without that garment will be thrown out. Notice there is ONLY ONE requirement to be invited to the wedding of Jesus, that is to wear the garment and be covered by His blood.

Grace to you
              Lou Newton
              Accepting an invitation to a wedding feast, and then merely putting on the wedding garment which is provided by the host seems like such a simple thing. Yet it does not say, "many are called, many are chosen." Apparently these things are very difficult. What could possibly be the reason why it is so difficult for these people to do such a simple task?

Travis

Comment

Maybe some tares look so much like wheat that only Jesus knows they were never born from above.
                Perhaps that could be one of the points of the parable. Which should then lead someone who understands the parable to examine themselves, to see if they are in the faith. I wonder if reprobates ever examine themselves and question whether they are in the faith or not?

Thanks for starting this thread Blane,

Travis

Comment

Perhaps that could be one of the points of the parable. Which should then lead someone who understands the parable to examine themselves, to see if they are in the faith. I wonder if reprobates ever examine themselves and question whether they are in the faith or not?

Travis
                  Hi Travis,

Starting this thread was my pleasure, my brother and friend. I'm at a place in my 27 year walk with Jesus that I feel compelled to return to the fundamentals of the faith. I feel strongly compelled to continually ask the Lord for revelation knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. In other words, this might be the only type of thread I may be starting for awhile. This type of thread allows me the opportunity to keep things simple while I look to the Lord to enlarge my heart for Jesus and my understanding of scripture. It also enables me to glean from other believers who have learned things that I know not. That's a pretty good deal for me.

I'm really enjoying the simplicity of our tiny new forum. May the Lord add new members only as often as He deems needful.

In Christ,

Blane

Comment

I am reminded of this scripture in Isaiah:

Isaiah 4:1 NIV

In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, "We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!"

The seven woman are the seven churches. They will take hold of One Man, Jesus Christ, and say, we will eat our own food, instead of feeding on your words, we will believe our own doctrine. And we will provide our own clothes, that is we will be covered by our own works, instead of being covered by your blood.

But they are aware of the fact they have sinned and need the forgiveness of Jesus. So they say let us be called by your Name, or let us be called Christians, take away our disgrace. Of course they can not have their sin taken away by being "called" Christians and going to church.

The wedding clothes are being covered by the blood of Jesus. These wedding clothes are provided by the Bridegroom, Jesus. The one wedding guest that did not "wear" the covering that Jesus provided was thrown out.
                    Hi Lou,

You shared this with me on the phone once about four years ago. I can't remember the exact context of our conversation that lead to you drop this in my lap back then. But it's one of several things you've mentioned over the years that I've never forgotten.

What a profound thought. Scripture says the gates of hell will never prevail against the church. But somehow this scenario is different, and sadly, believable. That is, believers on a grand scale forgetting the simplicity of Christ crucified, and turning back to works religion and self justification.

May this forum always be an oasis in the wilderness whereby grace is cherished.

Blessings,

Blane

Comment

Like this?
                      Matthew 13
                      47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: 48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away. 49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, 50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Accepting an invitation to a wedding feast, and then merely putting on the wedding garment which is provided by the host seems like such a simple thing. Yet it does not say, "many are called, many are chosen." Apparently these things are very difficult. What could possibly be the reason why it is so difficult for these people to do such a simple task?

Travis
                      Yea, like that Travis..........good comment...............Lou

Comment

Travis
                        Blane and Travis.

We do not have to wonder about this. Angels and men can not judge, or tell the wheat from the tares. Jesus is THE JUDGE because He is the only one worthy to judge and also the only one who can see the hearts of men.

To be able to judge, one has to be BOTH God and Man. He has to be our peer, and have the wisdom of God.

Lou

Comment

Hi Lou,

You shared this with me on the phone once about four years ago. I can't remember the exact context of our conversation that lead to you drop this in my lap back then. But it's one of several things you've mentioned over the years that I've never forgotten.

What a profound thought. Scripture says the gates of hell will never prevail against the church. But somehow this scenario is different, and sadly, believable. That is, believers on a grand scale forgetting the simplicity of Christ crucified, and turning back to works religion and self justification.

May this forum always be an oasis in the wilderness whereby grace is cherished.

So here God to spoke to the only ones who would listen and obey, the heavens and the earth. Because Israel was sure not even paying attention to God.

Blessings,

Blane
                          Now that you mention it, I remember it now. Good memories dear friend. The book of Isaiah is so rich in the revealing of Jesus Christ. Right off the bat in the second verse:

2 Hear, O heavens! Listen, O earth! For the LORD has spoken:
                          When I first read this, I wondered why God addressed the heavens and the earth, instead of men.

We must first see a question to ask a question.

We must first ask a question before we see the answer.

God addresses the heavens and the earth ( the heavens being the heavens He created in Genesis 1, not where His throne is) because they both listen and obey Him. God spoke them into existence and then said let there be light, AND THERE WAS LIGHT.

But men, first, do not listen to God, and even if they listen they do not obey like the heavens and the earth.

For even the few men who eventually obey God, do not obey Him immediately. But they obey only after a delay, or a question. The heavens and the earth never even question God, but obey immediately.

Lou

Comment

But men, first, do not listen to God, and even if they listen they do not obey like the heavens and the earth.

For even the few men who eventually obey God, do not obey Him immediately. But they obey only after a delay, or a question. The heavens and the earth never even question God, but obey immediately.
                            That is so,

Yet, the heavens and the earth, like the angels, do not know the grace and mercy of God directly. Before Adam, God's holiness and justice was known, but when Adam sinned, and found grace and mercy instead of absolute judgement, the universe saw something it had not seen before. Jesus Christ shed his blood on the cross to reconcile his enemies to himself, and give them something they didn't in the least bit deserve. How marvelous is that?

Grace to you,

Travis

Comment

That is so,

Yet, the heavens and the earth, like the angels, do not know the grace and mercy of God directly. Before Adam, God's holiness and justice was known, but when Adam sinned, and found grace and mercy instead of absolute judgement, the universe saw something it had not seen before. Jesus Christ shed his blood on the cross to reconcile his enemies to himself, and give them something they didn't in the least bit deserve. How marvelous is that?

Grace to you,

Travis
                              Amen Travis

Comment

Working...
                              X