• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the meaning of Jeremiah 29:11

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Aug 25 at 2:01 AM
    11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

How do you interpret Jeremiah 29:11?
    Jeremiah 29 NIV

10 This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place.11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

The Lord is speaking to the Jews who were exiled into Babylon. God's plans for them, and us, is always for our good, IF we are trying to follow Him.

Romans 8 NIV

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

What better thing could God give us than to be conformed to the image of His Son.

God was telling the Jews in Babylon that He was going to bring them back to Jerusalem and prosper them there. Of course the main way God would prosper them was to come down from heaven and be born of a woman to become one of us, and shed His blood for our sin.

This promise is also for all Jews of all time. Everyone who trusts in God, and nothing else, to save them, is a child of Abraham. Everyone who does not trust in Christ alone, is a child of the Devil.

God's plan is to prosper everyone. But not everyone follows God's plan. Those who refuse to follow His plan will go to destruction instead.

The Jews that followed Jesus were prospered. Those who refused to follow Him went to destruction.

I pray that everyone confesses their sin and gives their life to Jesus. Jesus will then have His Holy Spirit dwell in them and lead them to eternal life. That is true prosperity.

Lou Newton
    Bond servant of The Lord Jesus
Working...
X