• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you explain Acts 8:12-17?

Can you explain Acts 8:12-17?

Lou Newton
    Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

Act 8 NIV

“ 12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptised, both men and women. 13 Simon himself believed and was baptised. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. “

They believed Philip and were baptized in water, but not baptized in the Holy Spirit. We know this is true because 13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. Yet it says this about Simon in verse 18:

“18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 and said, ‘Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.’

20 Peter answered: ‘May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! 21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. “

We must all be born again in the spirit, or baptized in His Holy Spirit to enter the Kingdom of God and Simon had been baptized, but his heart was NOT right with God. So Simon was not baptized in the Holy Spirit but only baptized in water. Water can not save but is only a symbol of repentance.

It seems when Peter and the other came they must have preached some more and the people who were baptized in water, also were baptized in the Holy Spirit.

There are two baptisms mentioned in the Holy Scriptures. The baptizim in water and the baptizim in The Holy Spirit. Of course water can not save anyone and it is not necessary to be dipped in water to be saved. The thief on the cross was not dipped in water but was baptized in the Holy Spirit by The Lord while he was on the cross. We know this because Jesus said this:

Luke 23 NIV

“ 39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: ‘Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!’

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. ‘Don’t you fear God,’ he said, ‘since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.’

42 Then he said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’

43 Jesus answered him, ‘Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.’

Well this proves two things: 1st that Jesus is God Almighty, The Father, who sits on the throne in heaven. Because the Manhood of Jesus died that very day and was buried in His tomb. He did not raise His human body from the dead until three days later. But Jesus, who can not lie, told the thief that he( the thief) would be with Him ( Jesus) in paradise that very day. The thief was in heaven that very day with The Lord Jesus and so the thief had to be baptized in the Holy Spirit, or born again in the spirit to enter heaven.

This proves that water baptism in not necessary to enter heaven, but being baptized in His Holy Spirit is.

Ephesians 4:5-6 King James Version (KJV)

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

There is but one baptizim and surly no rational person would claim that water is superior to The Holy Spirit.

1 view · Answer requested by Clavy ....................
Working...
X