Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Genesis 5 did God literally walk and talk with Enoch ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Genesis 5 did God literally walk and talk with Enoch ?

When the book of Genesis says that for three hundred years God walked with Enoch before he took him did it mean that God walked with him like he did with Adam and Eve in the garden or was it different?

Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

Genesis 5 NIV

21 When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. 22 After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23 Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.21 When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. 22 After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23 Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

An interesting fact is that Methuselah lived until the very year the great flood came. He was Enoch’s first born and God kept him alive until the year of the flood. It would be reasonable to think that Methuselah, and any other descendants that followed God that were still alive helped Noah build the ark. It is evident that God did not cut Methuselah’s life short by even a day because he lived longer than any other man.

We also have this that gives us evidence of how God walked and talked with men back then in the natural:

Genesis 17 NIV

“17 When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me faithfully and be blameless. 2 Then I will make my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.” “

NOTE: The Hebrew word translated "appeared" usually means to literally see with your eyes.

Genesis 18

18 The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day. 2 Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.

13 Then the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really have a child, now that I am old?’ 14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”

Abraham goes on the have a conversation with God.

Jacob Wrestles With God

22 That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two female servants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. 24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.”

But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”

27 The man asked him, “What is your name?”

“Jacob,” he answered.

28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel,[
    f
    ] because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

29 Jacob said, “Please tell me your name.”

But he replied, “Why do you ask my name?” Then he blessed him there.

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”

31 The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip. 32 Therefore to this day the Israelites do not eat the tendon attached to the socket of the hip, because the socket of Jacob’s hip was touched near the tendon.

Was this "man" really God as Jacob said ? Well was Jacob known as Israel after that ? Does Israel still exist today ? Who could bless Jacob this way except God?

God walked and talked with men that sought Him. He even wrestled with Jacob and that is a great mystery.
    Exodus 33:11

So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the tabernacle.

Above we see that God spoke to Moses face to face as we speak to our friends.

Exodus 33:20

But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.”

John 1:18

No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

1 John 4:12

No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us.

The three passages above mean that no one can see God in His glory as He appears in heaven.

But God walked and talked with many men when He appeared to look like a man, instead of in His Glory as He appears in heaven.

So I would think considering all of this that God actually walked and talked with Enoch in the natural.

God could do this back then because He had so few men that sought Him. But today there are millions that seek Him and so His Holy Spirit lives inside of their spirit to walk and talk with them. But the day will come when Jesus will return and He will walk and talk with us literally again.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; January 22, 2020, 07:48 PM.
Working...
X