Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your interpretation of the Bible verse 2 Kings 2:23-24 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your interpretation of the Bible verse 2 Kings 2:23-24 ?

What is your interpretation of the Bible verse 2 Kings 2:23-24 ?

Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

2 Kings 2 NIV

“23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria. “

These youths were very disrespectful to an older man and Elisha was also a known prophet of God. But let me ask you; what would you do if a bunch of bullies were mistreating your little boy. Especially if your little boy had sacrificed a lot to be loyal to you and gave up everything to serve you.

Jesus is a Warrior who comes to save. He sent the bears to defend Elisha and teach those boys a lesson they will not soon forget. If the bears had not put a stop to it, they might have attacked and brought great harm to Elisha.

I remember a man who came to my house and was going to take my wife and my children skating. I asked him to leave and said I will take my wife and children skating. Well she ended up leaving me and moving in with him. I got custody of the children and she would take me to court every six months until the judge read her the riot act and put and end to it. He came up to me and poked his finger in my chest and said, Look Boy”. I grabbed his finger and bent it back and told him to never poke me in the chest and talk like that to me again.

Some time later my son had a opening of his business and this man was there. I walked in to my own sons place and he jeered at me like I was scum. I was my sons father, he was not. The Lord spoke to me very clearly. He said that is the very last time he will treat you like that. It was a very somber moment and I said nothing. I knew what The Lord meant and said nothing. He was dead a couple of months later. It is a very serious thing to insult a servant of the Lord. It could be your last insult.

These boys had something to think about for years. Hopefully they repented and even apologized to Elisha. There is always forgiveness if we seek forgiveness by confessing our sin.

Deuteronomy 21 NIV

“18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.”

If one wants to live by the law, or earn their way to heaven; then they have to obey every point of the law. The law can be very strict.

But those who chose to confess their sin and live by trusting in Jesus to save them will receive mercy.

1 John 1 NIV

“8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. “

Answer requested by Gary ..........................

What are your thoughts about this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
      What is your interpretation of the Bible verse 2 Kings 2:23-24 ?

Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

2 Kings 2 NIV

“23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria. “

These youths were very disrespectful to an older man and Elisha was also a known prophet of God. But let me ask you; what would you do if a bunch of bullies were mistreating your little boy. Especially if your little boy had sacrificed a lot to be loyal to you and gave up everything to serve you.

Jesus is a Warrior who comes to save. He sent the bears to defend Elisha and teach those boys a lesson they will not soon forget. If the bears had not put a stop to it, they might have attacked and brought great harm to Elisha.

I remember a man who came to my house and was going to take my wife and my children skating. I asked him to leave and said I will take my wife and children skating. Well she ended up leaving me and moving in with him. I got custody of the children and she would take me to court every six months until the judge read her the riot act and put and end to it. He came up to me and poked his finger in my chest and said, Look Boy”. I grabbed his finger and bent it back and told him to never poke me in the chest and talk like that to me again.

Some time later my son had a opening of his business and this man was there. I walked in to my own sons place and he jeered at me like I was scum. I was my sons father, he was not. The Lord spoke to me very clearly. He said that is the very last time he will treat you like that. It was a very somber moment and I said nothing. I knew what The Lord meant and said nothing. He was dead a couple of months later. It is a very serious thing to insult a servant of the Lord. It could be your last insult.

These boys had something to think about for years. Hopefully they repented and even apologized to Elisha. There is always forgiveness if we seek forgiveness by confessing our sin.

Deuteronomy 21 NIV

“18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.”

If one wants to live by the law, or earn their way to heaven; then they have to obey every point of the law. The law can be very strict.

But those who chose to confess their sin and live by trusting in Jesus to save them will receive mercy.

1 John 1 NIV

“8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. “

Answer requested by Gary ..........................
      Jesus is just and merciful. He wouldn't bring harm to those boys for nothing, so they probably were planning serious harm to Elisha. And that lesson probably protected him in the future as he needed to go by that way. As for the other situation, it is against the laws of God to take someone's family from them, and then further, rub it in their face. Let's hope he somehow repented of that before he died. I'm sure he won't like the future if he didn't.....

Comment

Working...
      X