Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Jesus get so angry at the money changers in Mark 11 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Jesus get so angry at the money changers in Mark 11 ?

What does Mark 11 verses 15-17 mean?

Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

Mark 11 NIV

15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’”

18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.

Notice this was NOT in the Temple itself, but the Temple Courts. Yet today almost every church service, I have been to, includes a collection for money.

Look at how angry Jesus was about these men making money in the Temple Court ! And look at how angry the Priests were at Jesus for doing this. They started planning to kill Him, That should reveal to everyone how important this money was to them.

Jesus walked all over Israel preaching and healing the sick. There is not even one account of Him asking anyone for money. NOT ONCE. Jesus trusted God would provide for Him.

We should not wonder why the church of our nation has not brought deliverance to the land. I would ask why do they go to the people for support instead of asking God to take care of them. Maybe they already have and He refused to support their ministry.

A Sinner Saved by Grace Alone.

His Bond Servant

Lou Newton

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Wed, Mar 18 at 8:35 PM

Accordingly, the collection of money at the meeting of a congregation is to be compared with the money changers in the temple courts? Therefore, the collection of money at the meeting of a congregation makes the Lord Jesus angry?

I don't blame you for feeling this way, especially if you have been in financial need when the collection was made. The collection plate or the collection box is the correct term, but money is not the correct term. What is deposited is an offering Rather than money. An offering is made by the believer unto the LORD. It has nothing to do with collecting money anymore than the offering of a sacrifice at the temple had anything to do with food.

How a congregation manages the offerings are an entirely separate matter than the offering and the person presenting it. The offering is made holy because it is placed upon the altar that the LORD has declared holy. I still weep, as I do now, when I remember some of the collection plates passed by me – full of jewelry, gold nugget rings, money clips stuffed with large bills, and worthless worldly things cast off by the repentant – so much stuff that the collection plate needed dumping into a bag at the end of the aisle. And that overflow after the pastor had said to the congregation, if you need money, take it from the collection plate as it passes you.

The anger of the Lord Jesus, depends entirely upon the heart of the person making the offering.

While charitable, the post 1960's American church has been notoriously self-absorbed over attendance, growth, and buildings. Those "offerings" are made unto the LORD, and they ought to be used to serve those in need both spiritually and financially to glorify the LORD.

18 March 2020 the old scribe
    Thanks Glen.

lou newton
    To:Glen B Smith

Wed, Mar 18 at 11:34 PM
    Is not the actions and words of Jesus to be our example. Show me one place where Jesus passed an offering plate. I am not saying that no one can do this to try and please the Lord. I am saying where do the leaders get the example or command to do this during the service.

Comment

Glen B Smith
      To:lou newton

Thu, Mar 19 at 3:22 AM

Commands during the service?
      We have references to communion, feasting, singing, teaching, offerings, and prayer while in homes on the first day of the week and also daily.
      Communion seems the only possible command.
      The Churches of Christ have carried your position forward to exclude musical instruments because they are not mentioned in the "church services" of the New Testament or by Jesus.
      The "church services" of the churches during the New Testament period were modeled on synagogue practices and on symbols of temple worship. From the New Testament there is scant information about how these churches worshiped. Offerings and gifts are collected: Romans 15:16; Philippians 14:8; 1 Corinthians 16:3; 2 Corinthians 8:20; 9:5.
      Lou asked, "where do the leaders get the example or command to do this during the service."

2 Corinthians 9:5 ESV
      So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction.

It is impossible to know from the New Testament how to replicate their "church services." Offerings and gifts are an essential part of worship. To exclude "passing the plate" or some other means dedicated to offerings and gifts is to remove an essential element of worship.
      However, there is an issue with the worship of the poor who have no offering or gift. I suspect many poor people avoid worship services due to the embarrassment of having nothing left to give. Some poor are to proud to participate in worship when they cannot contribute. Currently, I am attempting to have our congregation provide dollars in the foyer for everyone to take with the bulletin to place in the plate when it is passed. The aim is for everyone to participate in worship through the offering during the "church service" as an act of worship.

Comment

lou newton
        To:Glen B Smith

Thu, Mar 19 at 8:24 PM
        We are commanded to praise God with musical instruments in the Psalms. To not do so is disobeying God.

Jesus never once took up a collection, not once. Instead He fed the people who came to listen to Him.

You are correct many poor people do not attend because they have nothing to drop in the plate. Having to pick up money on the way in, is even worse. It is not only that others can see, the poor person knows and feels badly. To have to have someone give you a dollar to give is far worse than not having one to give.

Yes Paul did encourage people to give to THE POOR. But hopefully he was obedient enough, to the commands of Jesus, to give everyone an opportunity to do this in private; NOT in public with attention drawn to it by a prayer and special music.

Jesus told us not to let our one hand know what the other is doing, let alone the whole congregation. The plate is passed for one reason, they receive more money that way. But Jesus made it very clear when we give in public we are not blessed for doing so..

Paul agrees with this:

2 Corinthians 9:5 ESV

So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the for the gift you have promised, so that it may be readyas a willing gift, not as an exaction.

Paul did not want the people to be pressured in ANY way to give. But to give because of the love of others in their heart.

We have a whole passage of how our worship services should be run:

1 Cor 14 NIV
        Good Order in Worship

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

36 Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored.[h]

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

Paul did not see fit to encourage people to give in public instead of in private.

Certainly there is no reason to think that collecting money for the leader so he can buy a new private jet so that he does not have to fly" on an aluminum tube filled with demons". Calling people, you are telling to give their life to Christ, demons, dies not make them feel loved by God.

This is where the public collection of money has taken us. If offerings were done in private with this might not have taken place.
        Last edited by Lou Newton; March 19th, 2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Glen B Smith
          To:lou newton

Sat, Mar 21 at 1:23 AM
          No, but as you noted "We are commanded to praise God with musical instruments in the Psalms."
          So, a good argument is that if we don't keep the Sabbaths or other holy days or if we eat pork we need not make offerings unto the Lord?

In your objections there are pain and frustration. I once knew a godly man who detested Baptist, not because of what Baptist believed, but because he had been rejected by some Baptist congregation. Yet, he loved me, even though I was Baptist.

Do I perceive an agenda stronger than scripture?
          I do not think so Glen, as far as the agenda you are asking about. But yes there is an influence on me stronger than scripture. That is the Author of the Holy Scriptures.

We are no longer under law, but we are to walk in His Holy Spirit.

The Spirit is far superior to the Book.

1 - The Book can be misplaced, lost, destroyed, and surely misunderstood. The Book can not love me, it can not shed any blood for me to save me from my sins. The Book is not alive and can not speak to me.

2 - His Holy Spirit is alive and does speak to me. He shed His blood for me to save me and He loves me. His Holy Spirit can not be lost, misplaced or destroyed. He also can make me understand. He can make my blind eyes to see and my deaf ears to hear. He can make this lame man walk. He can speak to me if I have no Book. But I read His Book everyday to meet with Him while I read.

You quoted a passage of scripture where God commands all to not come before Him without an offering. That is the law, but we are not under law. I walk and talk with Him all day, every day. He is always glad when I talk to Him and I have never once brought an offering like you recommend in these meetings. It never occurred to me to do so. But I do bring an offering, but not the one you mention. I offer myself to Him and He values me much more than any amount of money.

I love this little girl ( she is 35 and very pretty) and she loves me. She will text me and ask if I want to meet her after work. I always say yes. She gets out of her van and says Hi Lou and gives me a big hug and tells me that she loves me. I hug her and tell her that I love her. We spend several hours together and then she drives to her home. I would be hurt if she thought she had to have a gift for me every time we met. She needs nothing in her hand because I love her very much and I am always so glad to see her. The gift she gives to me is spending time with me. I would much rather have her love, than any amount of money. The only reason any gift that she might ever give me would mean anything to me is because she loves me.

The Lord Jesus loves me much more than I am able to love her. Although my ability to love has matured greatly in all these years ( by the grace and lessons of His Holy Spirit) I can not begin to love like The Lord loves us. I spend time with Him because I love Him, not because of any command of God.

1 Corinthians 13 NIV

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I notice that law is not even mentioned. It is implied though. Those that give everything they have obeying the commands of God gain nothing if they do not do so in love.

And yes, I too hate the law of some baptist who claim that you must be dipped in water to be saved. But I do love you dear brother while knowing you are a baptist.

A Sinner Saved by Grace Alone
          His Bond Servant
          Lou Newton
          Last edited by Lou Newton; March 21st, 2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Glen B Smith
            To:Lou Newton

Mon, Mar 23 at 2:51 AM

1 Corinthians 9:12b-14 ESV

Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? 14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

Luke 10:4-8 ESV The Lord Jesus sending out the disciples.
            4 Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house!’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you.

You cannot find an offering plate in these verses but there are some principles. There is nothing private about providing for those who proclaim the gospel. Making a distinction between offerings made privately and publicly seems artificial. However, it seems clear that a large offering ought to be provided without fanfare – maybe even in private.
            Worship may be private or public. Public worship carries with it certain expectations to participate in worship as a congregation. All worship involves ritual; that is, the congregation participating in unison from standing sitting, knelling, holding hands, singing, responsive reading, praying, receiving communion, and hearing. The congregation I worship with, speak in unison at the end of each prayer or individual prayer request by saying, "Lord, hear our prayer."
            I feel the congregation is lax on emphasizing the importance of offerings and do not provide enough for each worshiper to participate in making an offering. The congregation I grew up in brought the offerings to the communion table. There the offerings were formerly presented to the LORD with a request that He accept them and use them for His glory.

Hi Glen, I certainly agree with every passage in The Holy Scriptures. All scripture is for our edification.

Yes, those that preach the gospel should be provided for by others. But Paul had to make tents because others did not provide for him at times. Certainly providing hospitality for a preacher is still done in the privacy of the home.

The sacrificial offerings in the Temple were a part of the law and the Temple of stone has been done away with. God now dwells in His Temple of Living Stones which is the Body of Christ. Just as the Jews had to be very careful to do every thing in the Temple an exact way, we are to be very careful to trust in Christ alone and nothing else. This is the exact Way to salvation, or fellowship with God. God did not need their gifts in the Temple. He was hoping they would go there is learn how to be with Him and walk and talk with Him.

John 6 NIV

28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”

29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.

The AMP
            Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: that you believe [adhere to, trust in, rely on, and have faith] in the One whom He has sent.”

Romans 8 NIV

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

We are not to follow the law or the Book. We are to follow Him. He will not lead us into sin.

God wants to fellowship with us and wants us to spend time with Him.

Last edited by Lou Newton; March 23rd, 2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X