No announcement yet.

What is the meaning of Isaiah 11:6-9 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the meaning of Isaiah 11:6-9 ?

What is Isaiah 11:6-9?

Lou Newton

Isaiah 11 NIV

The Branch From Jesse

11 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
    from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
    2 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
    the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
    the Spirit of counsel and of might,
    the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—
    3 and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.

He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
    or decide by what he hears with his ears;
    4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
    with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
    He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
    with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
    5 Righteousness will be his belt
    and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
    the leopard will lie down with the goat,
    the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
    and a little child will lead them.
    7 The cow will feed with the bear,
    their young will lie down together,
    and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
    8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
    and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
    9 They will neither harm nor destroy
    on all my holy mountain,
    for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
    as the waters cover the sea.

If we read the first part of this chapter we will see the language is NOT literal. The first part is talking about Jesus. Jesus was not really a literal shoot out of a stump. And Jesse was not literally a stump but a person who died and like a tree that was cut down. But after Jesse’s death Jesus was born and brought life to everyone who would follow Him. Jesus was like a shoot out of a stump after it was cut down and grew into The Branch that brought life to the whole world. Have you ever seen a stump with a new shoot growing out of the dead stump. Jesse was dead like that stump, but Jesus came from Jesse and brought new Life to this world. The human body of Jesus grew out of Jesse and David.

So the language in verses 6 -9 is also not literal; but a person who was like a wolf during their life, before they gave their life to Jesus, would be at peace with the person who was like a lamb during their life. The wolf would be peace loving person instead of a person who devoured others. The person who was like a lamb ( or a pacifist) who would normally be devoured by those like the wolf would have nothing to fear after Jesus returns.

the leopard will lie down with the goat,
    the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
    The person that was prey in this life will be at peace with the person who was the predator (in their life before they met Jesus).

and a little child will lead them. - The Little Child that will lead them is Jesus. He is God Almighty but became like a little child, to become one of us, to die for our sins.

8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den, - The young child Jesus did play near the cobras den. Herod being the poisonous snake that he was.
    and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest. - The young child Jesus put His hand into the vipers nest ( The Pharisees were like vipers )

Matthew 12 NIV

24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.”

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? 27 And if I drive out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

29 “Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can plunder his house.

30 “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. 31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

33 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

9 They will neither harm nor destroy
    on all my holy mountain,
    for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
    as the waters cover the sea.

After Jesus returns there will be no war, disease, hate, deception, depression, regret, bitterness, or any other evil. Righteousness will cover the whole earth as the knowledge of The Lord covers the earth.

A sinner saved by grace alone

His servant, Lou Newton
Working...
X