What does Luke 17: 20-21 mean ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Luke 17: 20-21 mean ?

What is the best reflection in Luke 17:20-21?

Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

Luke 17 NIV

20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”

The Kingdom of God is in the hearts of men. Jesus said a person must be born again in the spirit. A person must confess their sin to Jesus and He then forgives them and cleanses them of all unrighteousness. Then His Holy Spirit enters their spirit to live in them.

One can not observe this with their eyes if the Holy Spirit enters into a person. BUT the Kingdom of God was in their midst back then and is in the world today.

We know from John 3 that a person must be born in the spirit to enter into the Kingdom of God:

John 3 NIV

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus

3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirt gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.[e] 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,[f] 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

So A person must have the Holy Spirit to enter into the Kingdom of God.

BUT Jesus said, the kingdom of God is in your midst.”

So there were people that were in the Kingdom of God at that time.

So there were people who had the Holy Spirit at that time.

Bond Servant of The Lord Jesus

Lou Newton
Working...
X