Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hebrews 10:26

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hebrews 10:26

    Jennifer asked a question about this verse on facebook:

    Hebrews 10:26 26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
    27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

    When we consider the words from God, we need to consider all of them.


    Please read the whole Chapter and carefully consider all of these words:

    Hebrews 10
    Christ's Sacrifice Once for All

    1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.
    2 If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins.
    3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins,
    4 because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
    5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me;
    6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased.
    7 Then I said, 'Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll-- I have come to do your will, O God.' "
    8 First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made).
    9 Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second.
    10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
    12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.
    13 Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool,
    14because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
    15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
    16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."
    17 Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
    18 And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.
    A Call to Persevere

    19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,
    20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,
    21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
    22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
    23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
    24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
    25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
    26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
    27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
    28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
    29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
    30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."
    31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
    32Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering.
    33 Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated.
    34 You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.
    35 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.
    36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
    37 For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come and will not delay.
    38 But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him."
    39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.

    Please also consider the follow words:
    Colossians 1Living Bible (TLB)

    15 Christ is the exact likeness of the unseen God. He existed before God made anything at all, and, in fact, 16 Christ himself is the Creator who made everything in heaven and earth, the things we can see and the things we can’t; the spirit world with its kings and kingdoms, its rulers and authorities; all were made by Christ for his own use and glory. 17 He was before all else began and it is his power that holds everything together. 18 He is the Head of the body made up of his people—that is, his Church—which he began; and he is the Leader of all those who arise from the dead, so that he is first in everything; 19 for God wanted all of himself to be in his Son.
    20 It was through what his Son did that God cleared a path for everything to come to him—all things in heaven and on earth—for Christ’s death on the cross has made peace with God for all by his blood. 21 This includes you who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies and hated him and were separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions, yet now he has brought you back as his friends. 22He has done this through the death on the cross of his own human body, and now as a result Christ has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are standing there before him with nothing left against you—nothing left that he could even chide you for;23 the only condition is that you fully believe the Truth, standing in it steadfast and firm, strong in the Lord, convinced of the Good News that Jesus died for you, and never shifting from trusting him to save you. This is the wonderful news that came to each of you and is now spreading all over the world. And I, Paul, have the joy of telling it to others.


    Now please consider these words written down by John:

    1 John 1
    Walking in the Light

    5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
    6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.
    7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
    8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.


    This passage is in PRESENT TENSE not PAST TENSE.

    Any time we claim to be without sin ( even for a second) we are deceived and the Truth in not in us.

    Anytime we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and His Word has no place in us.

    NO SCRIPTURE CANCELS ANY OTHER SCRIPTURE

    All that God spoke is forever true.

    If we read one verse with the thought, that it can not be true, we are calling God a liar and that is not a good way to see the truth.

    When we read and see a question, we should confess that we are blind and can not see. Then ask The Lord to forgive you for your blindness and please give you sight.

    Please post and comments or questions about these passages:

    Grace to you
    Lou Newton
    Last edited by Lou Newton; December 22, 2015, 04:14 PM.

  • #2
    You may tempted to think that you do not know what I am trying to get across to you.

    All of the information you need is in the scriptures above. Read them again and pay close attention to the highlighted passages.

    If you can even form a question from them, it will help you learn to hear from The Holy Spirit in questions like this in the future.

    Please post any question that you have.

    Comment


    • #3

      Another way to seek the truth is to look at this verse in many translations. The tYNDALE LIVING BIBLE IS A VERY GOOD ONE IN THIS CASE.



      If anyone sins deliberately by rejecting the Savior after knowing the truth of forgiveness, this sin is not covered by Christ’s death; there is no way to get rid of it.






      HEBREWS 10:26
      For if we sin willfully after having received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

      For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we go on willfully and deliberately sinning after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice [to atone] for our sins [that is, no further offering to anticipate],

      For if we go on deliberately and willingly sinning after once acquiring the knowledge of the Truth, there is no longer any sacrifice left to atone for [our] sins [no further offering to which to look forward].

      For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

      If we make the decision to sin after we receive the knowledge of the truth, there isn’t a sacrifice for sins left any longer.

      For if we deliberately continue to sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      No sacrifices can be made for people who decide to sin after they find out about the truth.

      For where we sin wilfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains any sacrifice for sins,

      For while we are willfully sinning after the receiving of the knowledge of the truth, a sacrifice no longer remains for sins,

      For if we sin wilfully after having the knowledge of the truth, there is now left no sacrifice for sins,

      If we decide to continue sinning after we have learned the truth, then there is no other sacrifice that will take away sins.

      For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      If we ·decide to [deliberately] go on sinning after we have learned the ·truth [L knowledge of the truth], there is no longer any sacrifice for sins.

      For if we sin willingly after that we have received and acknowledged that truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

      If we go on sinning after we have learned the truth, no sacrifice can take away our sins.

      For there is no longer any sacrifice that will take away sins if we purposely go on sinning after the truth has been made known to us.

      For if we deliberately sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      If we decide to go on sinning after we have learned the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins.

      For if we choose to go on sinning after we have learned the full truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      Now if we sin deliberately after we have known and accepted the truth, there can be no further sacrifice for sin for us but only a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fire of God’s indignation, which will one day consume all that sets itself against him. The man who showed contempt for Moses’ Law died without hope of appeal on the evidence of two or three of his fellows. How much more dreadful a punishment will he be thought to deserve who has poured scorn on the Son of God, treated like dirt the blood of the agreement which had once made him holy, and insulted the very Spirit of grace? For we know the one who said: ‘Vengeance is mine: I will repay’. And again: ‘The Lord will judge his people’. Truly it is a terrible thing for a man who has done this to fall into the hands of the living God!

      For if we sin wilfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins,

      For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

      For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

      For if we keep on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      If anyone sins deliberately by rejecting the Savior after knowing the truth of forgiveness, this sin is not covered by Christ’s death; there is no way to get rid of it.

      If we give up and turn our backs on all we’ve learned, all we’ve been given, all the truth we now know, we repudiate Christ’s sacrifice and are left on our own to face the Judgment—and a mighty fierce judgment it will be! If the penalty for breaking the law of Moses is physical death, what do you think will happen if you turn on God’s Son, spit on the sacrifice that made you whole, and insult this most gracious Spirit? This is no light matter. God has warned us that he’ll hold us to account and make us pay. He was quite explicit: “Vengeance is mine, and I won’t overlook a thing” and “God will judge his people.” Nobody’s getting by with anything, believe me.

      For if we willfully continue to sin after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we deliberately persist in sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins,

      If we go on sinning after we have learned the truth, no sacrifice can take away our sins.

      If we sin deliberately after receiving knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains sacrifice for sins

      For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      If we decide to go on sinning after we have learned the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins.

      For if we deliberately keep on sinning after receiving the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins is left for us,

      What if we keep sinning on purpose? What if we do it even after we know the truth? Then there is no offering for our sins.

      If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,

      If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,

      For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      If we keep on sinning because we want to after we have received and know the truth, there is no gift that will take away sins then.

      Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins.

      For if we willfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we wilfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we wilfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we willfully persist in sin after having received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For when we intentionally commit chet b’yad ramah ["wilful sin with a high hand of defiance" BAMIDBAR 15:30] after having received the full da’as of HaEmes, there remains no longer a korban for chattoteinu,

      For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

      Now if we willfully persist in sin after receiving such knowledge of the truth, then there is no sacrifice left for those sins—

      For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more a sacrifice for sins,

      Do we go on doing what is wrong after we know the truth? If we do, then there is no sacrifice any more for the wrong things we do.

      For why now a sacrifice for sins is not left to us, that sin willfully, after that we have taken the knowing of truth. [Forsooth to us sinning willfully, after the knowing of truth taken, now an host for sins is not left.]

      For we -- willfully sinning after the receiving the full knowledge of the truth -- no more for sins doth there remain a sacrifice,



      Comment


      • #4
        We should be able to see that there is but one condition to be saved.

        That is to trust The Lord Jesus Christ to save us.

        But if the Holy Spirit reveals this truth to them and they still insist on deciding to live in sin ( not confessing their sin and accepting His forgiveness for their sin) then there is no other sacrifice left for them. For Jesus sacrificed ONCE FOR ALL. It is the ONLY sacrifice that will be accepted for anyone's sin.

        No one will be accepted by God by trying to earn their salvation by a sacrifice of their works. No matter if they surrender their body to the flames. That sacrifice will NOT be accepted for their sin.

        Please let me know your thoughts about this.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have come to believe there is a difference in "knowing the truth" and "receiving" the truth. There is a difference in knowing who Christ is and being "born into His Spirit". So hearing the truth and not accepting it and living by it, us to reject the Holy Spirit......
          Looking at ALL the verses you have highlighted seems to point to the difference in head knowledge and heart knowledge.

          Comment


          • #6
            Great discussion, Lou. I have a thought to share.

            I suspect Heb 10 is a tough passage for many. We may tend to look at that word "sin" and connect it to an incidental offence. We may also look at the phrase "willfully sin" and apply the broad interpretation of it. The passage, though, elaborates quite well on it, and it doesn't benefit our understanding to focus on one verse if we ignore the larger context. You do a great service in demonstrating this, Lou.

            Heb 10 expounds the value of Christ's sacrifice. It is once and for all. We do not continue to sacrifice because His sacrifice was perfect and all that we need, and truly the only sacrifice that pleases God. Once we realize and receive this, we do not need those old filthy flesh-stained rags any longer, which cannot enter into heaven, and we can cast them off and be clothed in His righteousness.

            But if we "shrink back", or "draw back" from this saving grace, no other sacrifice can make us righteous or save us (thanks, Lou: this is key). There is only one sacrifice that God is pleased with. To replace or supplement Christ's holy righteousness with carnal works of righteousness is a rejection of that grace.

            29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

            John Gill's comment adds more depth of meaning found in the translated languages by cross-referencing the Greek and Hebrew words in the Holy Scriptures, Hebrews 10:38 and Habakkuk 2:4.

            Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back [υποστειληται in Greek], my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
            Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

            Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up [υποστειληται in Greek, Septuagint; עפלה in Hebrew, Masoretic] is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

            Gill writes: "The Hebrew word עפלה, used in Hab 2:4 and which, by the Septuagint there, and by the apostle here, is translated by υποστειληται, and rendered "draw back", according to R. David Kimchi (c) signifies, pride and haughtiness of heart; and, according to R. Sol. Jarchi (d) it signifies impudence; R. Moses Kimchi (e) takes it to be the same with עפל, which is used for a tower, or fortified place; and thinks it designs one who betakes himself to such a place for safety from the enemy, and seeks not to God for deliverance: so that such a person seems to be designed, who swells with pride and confidence in his own righteousness; who betakes himself to some fortress of his own for safety; who withdraws from the assembly of the saints, through fear of reproach and persecution; who withholds the truth, shuns to declare it, or maintain a profession of it; plays the hypocrite, and deals deceitfully in religious things; and, in short, it may intend one, who finally and totally apostatizes from the doctrine of faith, and the profession of it: and in such persons God has no pleasure, never had, nor never will have;"

            With Gill's perspective we may get a sense that what Linda says is true, it is a heart thing. I am thinking, in addition, that it is also a knowledge thing, and a practice thing, conforming to the image of Jesus Christ: which cannot be done without the Holy Spirit.

            Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

            Comment


            • #7
              I recently met a man through social media who was a Baptist preacher for a decade. Then he fell away. It seemed from his words that he found fault in the Scriptures, therefore found fault with God, and decided the Gospel could not be true. He quit preaching and left the faith, and he now seems very, very miserable--though he professes to be wise and happier. This man was a harsh, vocal critic of Christians, and spent his energy trying to sow doubt and unbelief, and lead Christ's sheep astray.

              I hope the goodness of the Lord turns this man back to Him. But what I see is an aching heart that man's words cannot console, a stubbornness and denial of God's truth that man's words cannot weaken, and the strong delusion of holding the truth in the world's unrighteous knowledge and wisdom.

              I thought of this man when I reread Hebrews 10 and pondered this forum thread.

              Is it possible for this man to abandon his own righteousness a second time (if indeed he did the first time), and cast off those rags for a pure, eternal robe? I do not know about him, but I hold onto hope for such people in general whose hearts may not be completely hardened, and may still have that small seed in them. They may have climbed a mountain and built them a tower and an earthly armory, but our Lord spoke of faith as a mustard seed, and moving mountains, and casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TennesseeLinda View Post
                I have come to believe there is a difference in "knowing the truth" and "receiving" the truth. There is a difference in knowing who Christ is and being "born into His Spirit". So hearing the truth and not accepting it and living by it, us to reject the Holy Spirit......
                Looking at ALL the verses you have highlighted seems to point to the difference in head knowledge and heart knowledge.

                Thanks so much for your reply Linda, and amen.
                Jeremiah 17:10

                It is I, the Eternal One, who probes the innermost heart and examines the innermost thoughts. I will compensate each person justly, according to his ways and by what his actions deserve.

                5 This is what the Lord says:
                “Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
                who draws strength from mere flesh
                and whose heart turns away from the Lord.
                6 That person will be like a bush in the wastelands;
                they will not see prosperity when it comes.
                They will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
                in a salt land where no one lives.


                7 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
                whose confidence is in him.
                8 They will be like a tree planted by the water
                that sends out its roots by the stream.
                It does not fear when heat comes;
                its leaves are always green.
                It has no worries in a year of drought
                and never fails to bear fruit.”


                9 The heart is deceitful above all things
                and beyond cure.
                Who can understand it?


                10 “I the Lord search the heart
                and examine
                the mind,
                to reward each person according to their conduct,
                according to what their deeds deserve.”

                Note: When we trust in our works, our faith, our beliefs, we are trusting in man.

                1 Samuel:16

                7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

                Proverbs 16

                2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
                but motives are weighed by the Lord.

                We have whole groups that think that people are saved if they address God with the correct sounds coming from their lips. Or by knocking on doors, even though the Lord did not send them.

                Men are saved by knowing in their heart that they are sinners and everything they do and say falls short of the glory of God ( which is sin) and confessing this to the Lord Jesus and then giving their life to Him.



                Last edited by Lou Newton; December 23, 2015, 08:41 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                  Great discussion, Lou. I have a thought to share.

                  I suspect Heb 10 is a tough passage for many. We may tend to look at that word "sin" and connect it to an incidental offence. We may also look at the phrase "willfully sin" and apply the broad interpretation of it. The passage, though, elaborates quite well on it, and it doesn't benefit our understanding to focus on one verse if we ignore the larger context. You do a great service in demonstrating this, Lou.

                  Heb 10 expounds the value of Christ's sacrifice. It is once and for all. We do not continue to sacrifice because His sacrifice was perfect and all that we need, and truly the only sacrifice that pleases God. Once we realize and receive this, we do not need those old filthy flesh-stained rags any longer, which cannot enter into heaven, and we can cast them off and be clothed in His righteousness.

                  But if we "shrink back", or "draw back" from this saving grace, no other sacrifice can make us righteous or save us (thanks, Lou: this is key). There is only one sacrifice that God is pleased with. To replace or supplement Christ's holy righteousness with carnal works of righteousness is a rejection of that grace.

                  29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

                  John Gill's comment adds more depth of meaning found in the translated languages by cross-referencing the Greek and Hebrew words in the Holy Scriptures, Hebrews 10:38 and Habakkuk 2:4.

                  Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back [υποστειληται in Greek], my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
                  Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

                  Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up [υποστειληται in Greek, Septuagint; עפלה in Hebrew, Masoretic] is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

                  Gill writes: "The Hebrew word עפלה, used in Hab 2:4 and which, by the Septuagint there, and by the apostle here, is translated by υποστειληται, and rendered "draw back", according to R. David Kimchi (c) signifies, pride and haughtiness of heart; and, according to R. Sol. Jarchi (d) it signifies impudence; R. Moses Kimchi (e) takes it to be the same with עפל, which is used for a tower, or fortified place; and thinks it designs one who betakes himself to such a place for safety from the enemy, and seeks not to God for deliverance: so that such a person seems to be designed, who swells with pride and confidence in his own righteousness; who betakes himself to some fortress of his own for safety; who withdraws from the assembly of the saints, through fear of reproach and persecution; who withholds the truth, shuns to declare it, or maintain a profession of it; plays the hypocrite, and deals deceitfully in religious things; and, in short, it may intend one, who finally and totally apostatizes from the doctrine of faith, and the profession of it: and in such persons God has no pleasure, never had, nor never will have;"

                  With Gill's perspective we may get a sense that what Linda says is true, it is a heart thing. I am thinking, in addition, that it is also a knowledge thing, and a practice thing, conforming to the image of Jesus Christ: which cannot be done without the Holy Spirit.

                  Psa 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

                  Thanks for the comments Barry. You have given us food for thought.

                  I left the house this morning at 7:30 AM and did not get back until 9 PM. I am beat and still have to wrap all of my gifts yet. We are getting together tomorrow at noon. I will hopefully be able to reply to your comments later tomorrow night.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Many years ago I was invited to attend a Bible study series that delved into this very subject. Two of the teachers were (former) rabbis, who had become Christian ministers. Here is a summary of what they taught.

                    The Book of Hebrews is more familiarly known as, "The Letter (or Epistle) to the Hebrews." Many Biblical historians believe that the Apostle Paul wrote this letter, however others have suggested that Barnabas may have been the author.

                    Many of the initial Christian converts in the first century were Jews. As such, those people who accepted this new Gospel were renouncing thousands of years of firmly established Jewish religious (and societal) beliefs and practices. Consequently, many of them were severely persecuted by the Jewish leaders of that time. We see evidence of the incipient stages of that persecution when Jesus was preaching throughout Galilee, and the High Priests and Pharisees threatened His believers. In fact, Paul (formerly Saul) was initially an ardent persecutor of people embracing this new and growing faith.

                    And while Paul is traditionally referred to as the "Apostle to the Gentiles," he himself was a Jew and very likely knew full well the cost of turning away from firmly established Judaic beliefs and teachings to fully accepting Jesus in simple faith. It is quite likely that many of the new Jewish converts to Christianity either completely reverted back to the religious beliefs and practices of their ancestors, or they may have attempted to practice both Jewish as well as Christian beliefs.

                    In the Letter to the Hebrews, the writer goes to great lengths to demonstrate his knowledge of Jewish beliefs and teachings, and he draws comparisons from those to how they relate to Jesus Christ actually being the True Messiah and Savior. But the writer is also telling these people they cannot believe and practice both.

                    In short - to be a practicing Jew meant that you do not believe Jesus is the One, True Messiah and that He died and was resurrected for the sins of the world. Your atonement for sin and attainment of salvation is through adherence of the Judaic requirements. Conversely, to be a Christian meant that you no longer believed in the Jewish practices/requirements (or mitzvahs) regarding the Law, atonement for sin and attaining salvation.

                    That is why the author wrote, "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?"

                    Would like to share more - but have to run a bunch of errands.
                    Last edited by Fisherman; December 24, 2015, 09:23 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                      Many years ago I was invited to attend a Bible study series that delved into this very subject. Two of the teachers were (former) rabbis, who had become Christian ministers. Here is a summary of what they taught.

                      The Book of Hebrews is more familiarly known as, "The Letter (or Epistle) to the Hebrews." Many Biblical historians believe that the Apostle Paul wrote this letter, however others have suggested that Barnabas may have been the author.

                      Many of the initial Christian converts in the first century were Jews. As such, those people who accepted this new Gospel were renouncing thousands of years of firmly established Jewish religious (and societal) beliefs and practices. Consequently, many of them were severely persecuted by the Jewish leaders of that time. We see evidence of the incipient stages of that persecution when Jesus was preaching throughout Galilee, and the High Priests and Pharisees threatened His believers. In fact, Paul (formerly Saul) was initially an ardent persecutor of people embracing this new and growing faith.

                      And while Paul is traditionally referred to as the "Apostle to the Gentiles," he himself was a Jew and very likely knew full well the cost of turning away from firmly established Judaic beliefs and teachings to fully accepting Jesus in simple faith. It is quite likely that many of the new Jewish converts to Christianity either completely reverted back to the religious beliefs and practices of their ancestors, or they may have attempted to practice both Jewish as well as Christian beliefs.

                      In the Letter to the Hebrews, the writer goes to great lengths to demonstrate his knowledge of Jewish beliefs and teachings, and he draws comparisons from those to how they relate to Jesus Christ actually being the True Messiah and Savior. But the writer is also telling these people they cannot believe and practice both.

                      In short - to be a practicing Jew meant that you do not believe Jesus is the One, True Messiah and that He died and was resurrected for the sins of the world. Your atonement for sin and attainment of salvation is through adherence of the Judaic requirements. Conversely, to be a Christian meant that you no longer believed in the Jewish practices/requirements (or mitzvahs) regarding the Law, atonement for sin and attaining salvation.

                      That is why the author wrote, "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?"

                      Would like to share more - but have to run a bunch of errands.

                      Very good comment Tom, thanks.

                      Today we have many who have taken the same path as many of the Jews who professed to become Christians back then.

                      They take steps toward becoming a Christian and then turn to trusting in something other than Christ alone to save them.

                      So the message in Hebrews is just as valid today as it was then.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X