Hebrews 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hebrews 11

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks. By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was commended as having pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God. By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.

These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, of whom it was said, “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back. By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau. By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff. By faith Joseph, at the end of his life, made mention of the exodus of the Israelites and gave directions concerning his bones.

By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw that the child was beautiful, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. By faith he left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king, for he endured as seeing him who is invisible. By faith he kept the Passover and sprinkled the blood, so that the Destroyer of the firstborn might not touch them.

By faith the people crossed the Red Sea as on dry land, but the Egyptians, when they attempted to do the same, were drowned. By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days. By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies.

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two,a they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— of whom the world was not worthy—wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.

Originally posted by The Knight View Post
    Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks. By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was commended as having pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household. By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God. By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.

These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son, of whom it was said, “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” He considered that God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back. By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau. By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff. By faith Joseph, at the end of his life, made mention of the exodus of the Israelites and gave directions concerning his bones.

By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw that the child was beautiful, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. By faith he left Egypt, not being afraid of the anger of the king, for he endured as seeing him who is invisible. By faith he kept the Passover and sprinkled the blood, so that the Destroyer of the firstborn might not touch them.

By faith the people crossed the Red Sea as on dry land, but the Egyptians, when they attempted to do the same, were drowned. By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days. By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies.

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two,a they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— of whom the world was not worthy—wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.
    AMEN Carl. Good post. ..... Steve

Comment

Thank you for posting this, Carl. What a blessed way to start the day - encouraged by a message of FAITH!
      You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
      - Paul Washer
      Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
      - Lou Newton

Comment

False faith - True faith

Thanks Karl,

Hebrews 11 Common English Bible (CEB)

Description of faith

11 Faith is the reality of what we hope for, the proof of what we don’t see. 2 The elders in the past were approved because they showed faith.
        Hebrews 11 Amplified Bible (AMP)

11 Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].
        I have heard false faith preached about so often and true faith preached about so little in the church.

Faith is NOT us believing that something is true. They preach if you believe you will be healed, then you will be healed.

That is NOT faith in The Lord Jesus, but faith in OUR FAITH.

FAITH IS THE REALITY OF WHAT WE HOPE FOR - (Heb 11:1)
        If we hope in what we believe will come true - that is like the Disney song of "wishing upon a star". No star can fulfill your wish, it is simply a large ball of plasma. It has no intellect, or emotions, or will. It simply obeys the laws that The Lord Jesus created for it.

Many churches preach that if you believe hard enough, your prayer will be answered. That is simply witchcraft instead of trusting in Jesus.

FAITH IS THE REALITY OF WHAT WE HOPE FOR - (Heb 11:1)
        If we in reality hope in a star, we are hoping in nothing that can help us. We are guilty of idolatry.

If we hope in our belief that it will happen, we are hoping in ourselves, and we have already seen that we have not been able to heal ourselves. That is why we are praying, to ask for help. Why would we trust in our belief.

BUT in reality if we hope in The Lord Jesus, we are trusting in the One and Only One who can help us.

The Amplified Bible calls faith THE TITLE DEED.

Let's imagine I get off the boat from a foreign land to New York. Someone offers to sells me the Brooklyn Bridge, and they show me a document that has "TITLE DEED" in gold letters on it. They tell me that I can collect the tolls everyday with this "TITLE DEED". So I give them everything I have to buy the bridge. But when I go to the toll booth to take possession of the bridge, they are not going to give me the bridge, but will call the police. I put my hope in a person who did not own the bridge. He can not sell what he does not own.

They will take me to the Judge and he will examine my" TITLE DEED" and tell me it is a fake. The REALITY is that I do not own the bridge and have lost everything that I had. For the man that "sold" me the bridge has disappeared.

Now if we are going to hope in eternity, we have to get the TITLE DEED from the only one who owns eternity. That is The Lord Jesus.

No preacher, no matter what title he claims, can issue a title deed for eternity, except The Lord Jesus himself. No Pope, no Bishop, no Cardinal, No Deacon, no pastor, no reverend, no priest, no prophet, no apostle, no teacher or any other mere man can issue a title deed to eternity. Those who put their trust in the teachings of these men are like the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge. The Judge, Jesus, will tell them their "title deed" is no TITLE DEED at all, but it is false.

Let us look at an example of TRUE FAITH in the Holy Scriptures:

Luke 9
        37 The next day, when they came down from the mountain, a large crowd met him. 38 A man in the crowd called out, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. 39 A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him.
        We see that this boy was this poor man's only child.

Mark 9 :14 When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them. 15 As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him. 16 "What are you arguing with them about?" he asked. 17 A man in the crowd answered, "Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not." 19 "O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me." 20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth. 21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."
        We see here that the poor father of the boy certainly was not sure in himself that Jesus could heal the boy. By the doctrine of a lot of churches, this man then had no hope of his son being healed.

23 " 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."
        This is the statement of Jesus that is misunderstood so much. Jesus did NOT SAY, if you are sure that I will heal him, he will be healed. But Jesus said, If you trust in me, all things are possible. Because The creator of everything that exists has the power to heal. But this man could not heal his son by believing in his own mind that his son would be healed. If that were possible, he would not need Jesus.

24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief !"
        Notice that this father did not grit his teeth and click his heels three times and repeat, I do believe, I do believe.

But he was honest with Jesus, and confessed his unbelief and then did the right thing. He asked Jesus to overcome his unbelief.

THIS IS TRUE FAITH - HE PUT HIS TRUST IN THE ONE AND ONLY ONE WHO COULD HELP HIS SON

HE DID NOT PUT HIS TRUST IN HIS TRYING TO BELIEVE THAT HIS SON WOULD BE HEALED

25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the evil spirit. "You deaf and mute spirit," he said, "I command you, come out of him and never enter him again." 26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, "He's dead." 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.
        The man had asked Jesus to heal his son.

The man had asked Jesus to overcome his unbelief.

JESUS ANSWERED BOTH REQUESTS BY ONE ACT

HE HEALED THE MAN'S ONLY CHILD

1 John 1
        8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.
        For any man to claim he has no unbelief is to claim he is without that sin. But if we have any sin, we are guilty of them all.

This man confessed his sin (his unbelief) and Jesus forgave him and purified him of that sin.

There is one and only one work for us all to do.

John 6:28 Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?”
        29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”
        Of course the demons believe that Jesus exists. A better word might be to TRUST in Jesus.

Grace to you
        Lou Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
          Thanks Karl,

I have heard false faith preached about so often and true faith preached about so little in the church.

Faith is NOT us believing that something is true. They preach if you believe you will be healed, then you will be healed.

That is NOT faith in The Lord Jesus, but faith in OUR FAITH.

If we hope in what we believe will come true - that is like the Disney song of "wishing upon a star". No star can fulfill your wish, it is simply a large ball of plasma. It has no intellect, or emotions, or will. It simply obeys the laws that The Lord Jesus created for it.

Many churches preach that if you believe hard enough, your prayer will be answered. That is simply witchcraft instead of trusting in Jesus.

If we in reality hope in a star, we are hoping in nothing that can help us. We are guilty of idolatry.

If we hope in our belief that it will happen, we are hoping in ourselves, and we have already seen that we have not been able to heal ourselves. That is why we are praying, to ask for help. Why would we trust in our belief.

BUT in reality if we hope in The Lord Jesus, we are trusting in the One and Only One who can help us.

The Amplified Bible calls faith THE TITLE DEED.

Let's imagine I get off the boat from a foreign land to New York. Someone offers to sells me the Brooklyn Bridge, and they show me a document that has "TITLE DEED" in gold letters on it. They tell me that I can collect the tolls everyday with this "TITLE DEED". So I give them everything I have to buy the bridge. But when I go to the toll booth to take possession of the bridge, they are not going to give me the bridge, but will call the police. I put my hope in a person who did not own the bridge. He can not sell what he does not own.

They will take me to the Judge and he will examine my" TITLE DEED" and tell me it is a fake. The REALITY is that I do not own the bridge and have lost everything that I had. For the man that "sold" me the bridge has disappeared.

Now if we are going to hope in eternity, we have to get the TITLE DEED from the only one who owns eternity. That is The Lord Jesus.

No preacher, no matter what title he claims, can issue a title deed for eternity, except The Lord Jesus himself. No Pope, no Bishop, no Cardinal, No Deacon, no pastor, no reverend, no priest, no prophet, no apostle, no teacher or any other mere man can issue a title deed to eternity. Those who put their trust in the teachings of these men are like the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge. The Judge, Jesus, will tell them their "title deed" is no TITLE DEED at all, but it is false.

Let us look at an example of TRUE FAITH in the Holy Scriptures:

We see that this boy was this poor man's only child.

We see here that the poor father of the boy certainly was not sure in himself that Jesus could heal the boy. By the doctrine of a lot of churches, this man then had no hope of his son being healed.

This is the statement of Jesus that is misunderstood so much. Jesus did NOT SAY, if you are sure that I will heal him, he will be healed. But Jesus said, If you trust in me, all things are possible. Because The creator of everything that exists has the power to heal. But this man could not heal his son by believing in his own mind that his son would be healed. If that were possible, he would not need Jesus.

Notice that this father did not grit his teeth and click his heels three times and repeat, I do believe, I do believe.

But he was honest with Jesus, and confessed his unbelief and then did the right thing. He asked Jesus to overcome his unbelief.

THIS IS TRUE FAITH - HE PUT HIS TRUST IN THE ONE AND ONLY ONE WHO COULD HELP HIS SON

HE DID NOT PUT HIS TRUST IN HIS TRYING TO BELIEVE THAT HIS SON WOULD BE HEALED

The man had asked Jesus to heal his son.

The man had asked Jesus to overcome his unbelief.

JESUS ANSWERED BOTH REQUESTS BY ONE ACT

HE HEALED THE MAN'S ONLY CHILD

For any man to claim he has no unbelief is to claim he is without that sin. But if we have any sin, we are guilty of them all.

This man confessed his sin (his unbelief) and Jesus forgave him and purified him of that sin.

There is one and only one work for us all to do.

Of course the demons believe that Jesus exists. A better word might be to TRUST in Jesus.

Grace to you
          Lou Newton

Thanks for posting, Lou.

Faith has been on my mind a lot lately. I really needed to read this.

There's also one of my personal favorites:

MARK 11

12.On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.

15And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. 16And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.” 18And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and were seeking a way to destroy him, for they feared him, because all the crowd was astonished at his teaching. 19And when evening came they went out of the city.

20As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. 21And Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.” 22And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. 23Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

Comment

Originally posted by The Knight View Post
            Thanks for posting, Lou.

Faith has been on my mind a lot lately. I really needed to read this.

There's also one of my personal favorites:

MARK 11

12.On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.

15And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. 16And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.” 18And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and were seeking a way to destroy him, for they feared him, because all the crowd was astonished at his teaching. 19And when evening came they went out of the city.

20As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. 21And Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.” 22And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. 23Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
            Amen Karl. The key in that promise is, HAVE FAITH IN GOD. NOT have faith is your belief that you can move mountains if you believe you can.

No mere man can move mountains no matter how much he believes he can. If a man who is a professing Christian decides to speak to a mountain so it will move, NOTHING will happen. Well except for his embarrassment.

But if God speaks to a man and tells him to speak to the mountain and God will move it. That man can be sure that mountain will move if he obeys God and speaks to it as he was told.

No move of God starts with man, as Peter tells us:

2 Peter 1
            20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
            Prophecy is the testimony of The Lord Jesus, or the words of Jesus. No words of God have their origin in any man. The prophecy always starts with God.

So moving the mountain has to be God's idea and not that of any man's. If a mere man decides to move the mountain, or it is his idea, the mountain will not move.

OR God never follows men, but men are to follow God.

God is not our servant, but we are to be His servant.

This seems to be a very simple principle, but many churches preach like God is our servant.

Grace to you
            Lou Newton

Comment

Working...
            X