• Tribulation

Tribulation scriptures
    Greek thlipsis
    θλῖψις, -εως, ἡ

Strong's number: 2347
    GK Number: 2568
    Frequency in New Testament: 45
    Gloss: trouble, distress, oppression, tribulation
    Definition: pr. pressure, compression; met. affliction, distress of mind, 2 Cor. 2:4; distressing circumstances, trial, affliction

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequency in New Testament: 45 Greek-English Concordance for θλῖψις

Translations by MOUNCE of the 45 New Testament verses where the Greek thlipsis is used.
    Matthew 13:21
    suffering
    yet he has no root in himself but lasts only a short time, and when suffering (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) or persecution arises on account of the message, immediately he falls away.
    Matthew 24:9
    persecuted
    Then they will hand you over to be persecuted (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name.
    Matthew 24:21
    suffering
    For then there will be great suffering (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem), such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, and will never be again.
    Matthew 24:29
    suffering
    “Immediately after the suffering (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) of those days, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
    Mark 4:17
    tribulation
    But they have no root in themselves and last for only a limited time. last for Then, when tribulation (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) or persecution comes because of the word, immediately they fall away.
    Mark 13:19
    tribulation
    because those will be days of such tribulation (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) as has never happened from the beginning of creation, which God created, until now, nor ever will be.
    Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light,
    John 16:21
    anguish
    When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come; but when the baby is born, she no longer remembers the anguish (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem), because of the joy that a child has been born into the world.
    John 16:33
    tribulation
    I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), but take courage, I have conquered the world.”
    Acts 7:10
    afflictions
    and rescued him out of all his afflictions (thlipseōn | θλίψεων | gen pl fem) and gave him favor and wisdom before Pharaoh, king of Egypt, who appointed him ruler over Egypt and over all his royal household.
    Acts 7:11
    affliction
    Now there came a famine upon all Egypt and Canaan, bringing great affliction (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem), and our fathers could find no food.
    Acts 11:19
    persecution
    Now those who were scattered because of the persecution (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem), which came to pass over Stephen, made their way as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except Jews only.
    Acts 14:22
    tribulations
    strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, “It is through many tribulations (thlipseōn | θλίψεων | gen pl fem) that we must enter the kingdom of God.”
    Acts 20:23
    persecutions
    except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me, saying that in every city imprisonment and persecutions (thlipseis | θλίψεις | nom pl fem) are waiting for me.
    Romans 2:9
    tribulation
    There will be tribulation (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) and distress for every human being who does evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek,
    Romans 5:3
    sufferings
    And not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem), knowing that suffering (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) produces endurance,
    Romans 8:35
    tribulation
    Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Can tribulation (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem), or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
    Romans 12:12
    suffering
    rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), devote yourself to prayer;
    1 Corinthians 7:28
    trouble
    But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. However those who do marry will have worldly trouble (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), and I am trying to spare you.
    2 Corinthians 1:4
    troubles
    who encourages us in all our troubles (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), so that we may be able to encourage those experiencing any trouble (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem) with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God.
    2 Corinthians 1:8
    affliction
    For we want you to know, brothers, about the affliction (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) we suffered in Asia, that we were burdened excessively beyond our power to cope, so that we despaired even of living.
    2 Corinthians 2:4
    distress
    For out of much distress (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) and anguish of heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not to cause you sorrow but to let you know the love that I have especially for you.
    2 Corinthians 4:17
    affliction
    For our momentary lightness of affliction (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,
    2 Corinthians 6:4
    affliction
    Rather, as servants of God, we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance, in times of affliction (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem), hardship, and distress;
    2 Corinthians 7:4
    distress
    I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am filled with encouragement; I am overflowing with joy in all our distress (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem).
    2 Corinthians 8:2
    affliction
    how that in a severe test of affliction (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem), the fullness of their joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in the richness of their generosity.
    2 Corinthians 8:13
    burden
    For this is not for the ease of others and a burden (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) for you, but a matter of equality;
    Ephesians 3:13
    sufferings
    I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem) on your behalf, which are your glory.
    Philippians 1:17 distress The former proclaim Christ out of a sense of hostility, not sincerely, intending to increase my distress (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) while I am in prison.
    Philippians 4:14
    distress
    However, you have acted nobly, sharing with me in my distress (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem).
    Colossians 1:24
    afflictions
    I am now rejoicing in my sufferings on your behalf, and in my flesh am completing what is lacking in the afflictions (thlipseōn | θλίψεων | gen pl fem) of Christ in flesh my for the sake of his body, his which is the church,
    1 Thessalonians 1:6
    affliction
    And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you accepted the word in the midst of much affliction (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), with the joy of the Holy Spirit.
    1 Thessalonians 3:3
    afflictions
    so that no one would be moved by these afflictions (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem). For you yourselves know that we were destined for this.
    1 Thessalonians 3:7
    affliction
    So in all our distress and affliction (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), brothers, we have been reassured about you by your faith.
    2 Thessalonians 1:4
    afflictions
    so that we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all the persecutions and afflictions (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem) that you are enduring.
    2 Thessalonians 1:6
    affliction
    For it is a righteous thing for God to repay with affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) those who afflict you,
    Hebrews 10:33
    persecutions
    Sometimes you were made a public spectacle, both by insults and persecutions (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem), and at other times you became one with those who were treated in that way,
    James 1:27
    trouble
    Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their time of trouble (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
    Revelation 1:9
    tribulation
    I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem) and kingdom and patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.
    Revelation 2:9
    affliction
    I know your affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) and your poverty (but you are rich), and the slander against you by those who call themselves Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
    Revelation 2:10
    affliction
    Do not fear what you are about to suffer. The devil is about to throw some of you into prison so that you may be tested, and you will have affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
    Revelation 2:22
    affliction
    Beware, I will throw her onto a bed of suffering, and those who commit adultery with her into great affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), unless they repent of her ways.
    Revelation 7:14
    tribulation
    I said to him, “My lord, you are the one who knows.” Then he said to me, “These are the ones who have come out of the great tribulation (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem); they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ASV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty-one (21) times in the New Testament.
    ESV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation sixteen times (16) in the New Testament.
    GNV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty times (20) in the New Testament.
    HCSB translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation ten times (10) in the New Testament.
    KJV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty-one times (21) in the New Testament.
    NASB translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty times (20) in the New Testament.
    NIV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation one time (1) in the New Testament.
    NKJV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation thirty times (30) in the New Testament.
    RSV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation seventeen times (17) in the New Testament.
    WEB translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation one time (1) in the New Testament.
    YLT translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation forty-four times (44) in the New Testament.

MOUNCE translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation eight times (8) in the New Testament.

But they have no root in themselves and last for only a limited time. Then, when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, immediately they fall away.

because those will be · days of such tribulation as has never happened from the

Mark 13:24
    But in those · days, after · that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give · its light,

I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”

There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does · evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek,

Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Can tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

I, John, · your brother and partner in the tribulation and kingdom and patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island · called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

I said to him, “My lord, you are the one who knows.” Then he said to me, “These are the ones who have come out of the great tribulation; · · they have washed · their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    Last edited by glen smith; August 7th, 2017, 01:36 AM.

Great Tribulation Scriptures for a Bible Study

There are four times in the New Testament where the Greek word thlipsis is preceded by the Greek word for great (μέγας, μεγάλη, μέγα). The transliteration of the Greek word is megas.

Matthew 24:21, Acts 7:11, Revelation 2:22, and Revelation 7:14
    Each of these verses could have been translated as “great tribulatuion.”

MOUNCE translates these three verses as follows.
    Matthew 24:21 For then there will be great (megalē | μεγάλη | nom sg fem) suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, and will never be again.
    Acts 7:11 Now there came a famine upon all Egypt and Canaan, bringing great (megalē | μεγάλη | nom sg fem) affliction, and our fathers could find no food.
    Revelation 2:22 Beware, I will throw her onto a bed of suffering, and those who commit adultery with her into great (megalēn | μεγάλην | acc sg fem) affliction, unless they repent of her ways.
    Revelation 7:14 I said to him, “My lord, you are the one who knows.” Then he said to me, “These are the ones who have come out of the great (megalēs | μεγάλης | gen sg fem) tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
    The Bible study of the idea of the great tribulation should include these four New Testament verses where the term “great tribulation” is used.

In addition to these New Testament verses Mark 13:19 and 24 must be considered.
    tribulation
    because those will be days of such tribulation (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) as has never happened from the beginning of creation, which God created, until now, nor ever will be.
    Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light,
    From the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament “a time of trouble” might be considered to equate with a great tribulation.

Daniel 12:1 ESV
    “At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
      Tribulation scriptures
      Greek thlipsis
      θλῖψις, -εως, ἡ

Strong's number: 2347
      GK Number: 2568
      Frequency in New Testament: 45
      Gloss: trouble, distress, oppression, tribulation
      Definition: pr. pressure, compression; met. affliction, distress of mind, 2 Cor. 2:4; distressing circumstances, trial, affliction

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequency in New Testament: 45 Greek-English Concordance for θλῖψις

Translations by MOUNCE of the 45 New Testament verses where the Greek thlipsis is used.
      Matthew 13:21
      suffering
      yet he has no root in himself but lasts only a short time, and when suffering (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) or persecution arises on account of the message, immediately he falls away.
      Matthew 24:9
      persecuted
      Then they will hand you over to be persecuted (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name.
      suffering
      For then there will be great suffering (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem), such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, and will never be again.
      Matthew 24:29
      suffering
      “Immediately after the suffering (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) of those days, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
      tribulation
      But they have no root in themselves and last for only a limited time. last for Then, when tribulation (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) or persecution comes because of the word, immediately they fall away.
      tribulation
      John 16:21
      anguish
      When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come; but when the baby is born, she no longer remembers the anguish (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem), because of the joy that a child has been born into the world.
      tribulation
      I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), but take courage, I have conquered the world.”
      Acts 7:10
      afflictions
      and rescued him out of all his afflictions (thlipseōn | θλίψεων | gen pl fem) and gave him favor and wisdom before Pharaoh, king of Egypt, who appointed him ruler over Egypt and over all his royal household.
      Acts 7:11
      affliction
      Now there came a famine upon all Egypt and Canaan, bringing great affliction (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem), and our fathers could find no food.
      Acts 11:19
      persecution
      Now those who were scattered because of the persecution (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem), which came to pass over Stephen, made their way as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except Jews only.
      Acts 14:22
      tribulations
      strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, “It is through many tribulations (thlipseōn | θλίψεων | gen pl fem) that we must enter the kingdom of God.”
      Acts 20:23
      persecutions
      except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me, saying that in every city imprisonment and persecutions (thlipseis | θλίψεις | nom pl fem) are waiting for me.
      tribulation
      There will be tribulation (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) and distress for every human being who does evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek,
      Romans 5:3
      sufferings
      And not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem), knowing that suffering (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) produces endurance,
      tribulation
      Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Can tribulation (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem), or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
      Romans 12:12
      suffering
      rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), devote yourself to prayer;
      1 Corinthians 7:28
      trouble
      But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. However those who do marry will have worldly trouble (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), and I am trying to spare you.
      2 Corinthians 1:4
      troubles
      who encourages us in all our troubles (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), so that we may be able to encourage those experiencing any trouble (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem) with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God.
      2 Corinthians 1:8
      affliction
      For we want you to know, brothers, about the affliction (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) we suffered in Asia, that we were burdened excessively beyond our power to cope, so that we despaired even of living.
      2 Corinthians 2:4
      distress
      For out of much distress (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) and anguish of heart I wrote to you, with many tears, not to cause you sorrow but to let you know the love that I have especially for you.
      2 Corinthians 4:17
      affliction
      For our momentary lightness of affliction (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem) is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,
      2 Corinthians 6:4
      affliction
      Rather, as servants of God, we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance, in times of affliction (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem), hardship, and distress;
      2 Corinthians 7:4
      distress
      I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am filled with encouragement; I am overflowing with joy in all our distress (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem).
      2 Corinthians 8:2
      affliction
      how that in a severe test of affliction (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem), the fullness of their joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in the richness of their generosity.
      2 Corinthians 8:13
      burden
      For this is not for the ease of others and a burden (thlipsis | θλῖψις | nom sg fem) for you, but a matter of equality;
      Ephesians 3:13
      sufferings
      I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem) on your behalf, which are your glory.
      Philippians 1:17 distress The former proclaim Christ out of a sense of hostility, not sincerely, intending to increase my distress (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) while I am in prison.
      Philippians 4:14
      distress
      However, you have acted nobly, sharing with me in my distress (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem).
      Colossians 1:24
      afflictions
      I am now rejoicing in my sufferings on your behalf, and in my flesh am completing what is lacking in the afflictions (thlipseōn | θλίψεων | gen pl fem) of Christ in flesh my for the sake of his body, his which is the church,
      1 Thessalonians 1:6
      affliction
      And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you accepted the word in the midst of much affliction (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), with the joy of the Holy Spirit.
      1 Thessalonians 3:3
      afflictions
      so that no one would be moved by these afflictions (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem). For you yourselves know that we were destined for this.
      1 Thessalonians 3:7
      affliction
      So in all our distress and affliction (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), brothers, we have been reassured about you by your faith.
      2 Thessalonians 1:4
      afflictions
      so that we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all the persecutions and afflictions (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem) that you are enduring.
      2 Thessalonians 1:6
      affliction
      For it is a righteous thing for God to repay with affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) those who afflict you,
      Hebrews 10:33
      persecutions
      Sometimes you were made a public spectacle, both by insults and persecutions (thlipsesin | θλίψεσιν | dat pl fem), and at other times you became one with those who were treated in that way,
      James 1:27
      trouble
      Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their time of trouble (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem), and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
      tribulation
      I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation (thlipsei | θλίψει | dat sg fem) and kingdom and patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.
      Revelation 2:9
      affliction
      I know your affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) and your poverty (but you are rich), and the slander against you by those who call themselves Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
      Revelation 2:10
      affliction
      Do not fear what you are about to suffer. The devil is about to throw some of you into prison so that you may be tested, and you will have affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem) for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
      Revelation 2:22
      affliction
      Beware, I will throw her onto a bed of suffering, and those who commit adultery with her into great affliction (thlipsin | θλῖψιν | acc sg fem), unless they repent of her ways.
      tribulation
      I said to him, “My lord, you are the one who knows.” Then he said to me, “These are the ones who have come out of the great tribulation (thlipseōs | θλίψεως | gen sg fem); they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------
      ASV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty-one (21) times in the New Testament.
      ESV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation sixteen times (16) in the New Testament.
      GNV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty times (20) in the New Testament.
      HCSB translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation ten times (10) in the New Testament.
      KJV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty-one times (21) in the New Testament.
      NASB translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation twenty times (20) in the New Testament.
      NIV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation one time (1) in the New Testament.
      NKJV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation thirty times (30) in the New Testament.
      RSV translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation seventeen times (17) in the New Testament.
      WEB translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation one time (1) in the New Testament.
      YLT translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation forty-four times (44) in the New Testament.

MOUNCE translates the Greek thlipsis as tribulation eight times (8) in the New Testament.

But they have no root in themselves and last for only a limited time. Then, when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, immediately they fall away.

because those will be · days of such tribulation as has never happened from the

Mark 13:24
      But in those · days, after · that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give · its light,

I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”

There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does · evil, for the Jew first and also for the Greek,

Who can separate us from the love of Christ? Can tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?

I, John, · your brother and partner in the tribulation and kingdom and patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island · called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

I said to him, “My lord, you are the one who knows.” Then he said to me, “These are the ones who have come out of the great tribulation; · · they have washed · their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
      Thanks Glen, this is a very needed subject for everyone to pray about.

Comment

In the years ahead for those in the 21st century is there a future great tribulation supported by the Bible?

From my understanding there is recorded in the Bible a predicted great tribulation for the years soon after the prediction was made. After this predicted great tribulation of the first century there is not another recorded prediction. This is not a claim there have been no other tribulations since the first century or that there will not be any in the future, but that there are no other predicted great tribulations recorded in the Bible.
        Last edited by glen smith; August 7th, 2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
          In the years ahead for those in the 21st century is there a future great tribulation supported by the Bible?

From my understanding there is recorded in the Bible a predicted great tribulation for the years soon after the prediction was made. After this predicted great tribulation of the first century there is not another recorded prediction. This is not a claim there have been no other tribulations since the first century or that there will not be any in the future, but that there are no other predicted great tribulations recorded in the Bible.
          Matthew 24 New International Version (NIV)

The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times

24 Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many.6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.

22“If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

29“Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
          and the moon will not give its light;
          the stars will fall from the sky,
          and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. The Day and Hour Unknown

36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
          While this passage is also about the destruction of the Temple, it is also about the Revelation of The Lord Jesus to the world in the end of this age.

Certainly the Jews went through terrible times during the Roman siege, but was it worse that what Hitler did to them. Was it worse than the flood when every human being died except for 8 ?

Jesus said, 21For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.

This has to be the great tribulation right before His return. It is greater tribulation than the flood or any other.

BUT Jesus returns immediately after this tribulation.

29“Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
          and the moon will not give its light;
          the stars will fall from the sky,
          and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
          Jesus did not return immediately after any other tribulation, so this tribulation is still to come.

Some might claim that Jesus already came back, but He denied that claim knowing it would be made:

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
          EVERYONE will see Jesus return, just as everyone sees the lighting in the sky.

Rev 1

7 “Look, he is coming with the clouds,”
          and every eye will see him,
          even those who pierced him”;
          and all peoples on earth “will mourn because of him.”
          So shall it be! Amen.

Certainly there is to be a great tribulation before Jesus returns.

Comment

Some thoughts.

The Greek word for "tribulation" was not used in the Septuagint in the account of the great flood. I can't easily tell if it was used in reference to the flood later, e.g. in the Psalms.

It is often used in the OT to denote affliction or distress. For example,

Gen 35:1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother. 2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments: 3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.

Gen 42:21 And they said one to another, We are verily guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he besought us, and we would not hear; therefore is this distress come upon us.

I don't think it's fair to make a strong connection between the flood and a future great tribulation. It is fair to make a strong connection between the flood and a final judgement by fire. The flood was an utter destruction by water. The final judgement by fire will be an utter destruction.

Also, I still think it is difficult to make Matthew 24 fit as a final eschatology. You really have to torture the text. There are elements of it that seem applicable or universal as heavenly patterns. But as a prophecy it is most easily understood to have been fulfilled in the AD 70 destruction/visitation of Jerusalem, and Christ coming into His eternal kingdom.
            Last edited by Baruch; August 8th, 2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
              Some thoughts.

The Greek word for "tribulation" was not used in the Septuagint in the account of the great flood. I can't easily tell if it was used in reference to the flood later, e.g. in the Psalms.

It is often used in the OT to denote affliction or distress. For example,

Gen 35:1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother. 2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments: 3 And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.

Gen 42:21 And they said one to another, We are verily guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he besought us, and we would not hear; therefore is this distress come upon us.

I don't think it's fair to make a strong connection between the flood and a future great tribulation. It is fair to make a strong connection between the flood and a final judgement by fire. The flood was an utter destruction by water. The final judgement by fire will be an utter destruction.

Also, I still think it is difficult to make Matthew 24 fit as a final eschatology. You really have to torture the text. There are elements of it that seem applicable or universal as heavenly patterns. But as a prophecy it is most easily understood to have been fulfilled in the AD 70 destruction/visitation of Jerusalem, and Christ coming into His eternal kingdom.
              Hi Barry. It seems to me that Jesus sure compared the flood to the great tribulation that He says will occur right before His return;

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. The Day and Hour Unknown

36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
              I do not understand how you understand the words of Jesus when He says He will return 29“Immediately after the distress of those days.

Certainly Jesus did not return immediately after the distress of the destruction of Jerusalem.

Jesus makes it very clear that he is not taking about some spiritual return, because He says everyone will see Him return.

30“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Certainly not even the Jews seen Jesus return in 70 AD.

Comment

Daniel also spoke of the great tribulation:

Daniel 12:1 - And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

Certainly the Jews were NOT delivered in 70 AD, but judged for rejecting Christ. Also certainly the Jews were not His people at that time. Who are Christ's people, they are all those who trust ion Christ to save them.

Who is the people found written in The Book ? That is everyone who trusts in Christ to save them.

Revelation 7:14 - And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Hi Barry. It seems to me that Jesus sure compared the flood to the great tribulation that He says will occur right before His return;

I do not understand how you understand the words of Jesus when He says He will return 29“Immediately after the distress of those days.

Certainly Jesus did not return immediately after the distress of the destruction of Jerusalem.

Jesus makes it very clear that he is not taking about some spiritual return, because He says everyone will see Him return.

30“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

Certainly not even the Jews seen Jesus return in 70 AD.
                  Hi, Lou,

All these passages are expounded (clearly and agreeably to me) by John Gill. I could only poorly represent them. Here is an excerpt:

For then shall be great tribulation,.... This is urged as a reason for their speedy flight; since the calamity that would come upon those who should remain in the city, what through the sword, famine, pestilence, murders, robberies, &c. would

be such as was not since the beginning of the world, to this time, no, nor ever shall be. The burning of Sodom and Gomorrha, the bondage of the children of Israel in Egypt, their captivity in Babylon, and all their distresses and afflictions in the times of the Maccabees, are nothing to be compared with the calamities which befell the Jews in the siege and destruction of Jerusalem. Great desolations have been made in the besieging and at the taking of many famous cities, as Troy, Babylon, Carthage, &c. but none of them are to be mentioned with the deplorable case of this city. Whoever reads Josephus's account will be fully convinced of this; and readily join with him, who was an eyewitness of it, when he says (m), that

"never did any city suffer such things, nor was there ever any generation that more abounded in malice or wickedness.''

And indeed, all this came upon them for their impenitence and infidelity, and for their rejection and murdering of the Son of God; for as never any before, or since, committed the sin they did, or ever will, so there never did, or will, the same calamity befall a nation, as did them.

Matthew 24:22
                  And except those days should be shortened,.... That is, those days of tribulation which commenced at the siege of Jerusalem; and therefore cannot refer to the times before it, and the shortening of them by it, which were very dreadful and deplorable through the murders and robberies of the cut-throats and zealots; but to those after the siege began, which were very distressing to those that were within; and which, if they had not been shortened, or if the siege had been lengthened out further,

there should no flesh be saved; not one Jew in the city of Jerusalem would have been saved; they must everyone have perished by famine, or pestilence, or sword, or by the intestine wars and murders among themselves: nor indeed, if the siege had continued, would it have fared better with the inhabitants of the other parts of the country, among whom also many of the same calamities prevailed and spread themselves; so that, in all likelihood, if these days had been continued a little longer, there had not been a Jew left in all the land.

But for the elect's sake; those who were chosen in Christ, before the foundation of the world, to believe in him, and to be saved by him with an everlasting salvation; both those that were in the city, or, at least, who were to spring from some that were there, as their immediate offspring, or in future ages, and therefore they, and their posterity, must not be cut off; and also those chosen ones, and real believers, who were at Pella, and in the mountains, and other places, for the sake of these, and that they might be delivered from these pressing calamities,

I used to think lightly of the destruction of Jerusalem. That it was swift...I didn't even think that deeply about it. I don't know if it is the same for you. But accounts of the suffering during the long siege are horrible to read. And the deliverance of those in Christ, who escaped to Pella, is a miraculous story. The scripture does not give the level of detail for us to fully appreciate the context in which our Lord spoke these words. We are obliged to fill them in, in order to understand them. But our gloss in the absence of essential details is inclined to paint a caricature.

And, again, there may be patterns that transcend a temporal prophecy such as Daniel 12:1 that do look far forward to the last day.

Have you read John Gill's commentary on Matthew 24? This should answer all your questions, even if you choose not to agree with Gill's interpretation.

Comment

Interpreting Matthew 24 becomes very controversial because:
                    (1) Christians attempt to make sense of this chapter using preconceived ideas about its subjects.

(2) Matthew 24 is the majority of the Olivet Discourse - one of the five discourses identified in Matthew.

The Apostle Matthew segregates the ministry of the Lord Jesus into five subject groups. Thus, these subject groups should not be read as a single message but a combination of two or more messages. Because of this compilation by the Apostle Matthew in Matthew 24 there appears to be end of the age teachings about both the destruction of Temple in A.D. 70 and the Second Coming. To sort this out finding the parallels in Mark and Luke is essential.

(3) Christians fail to recognize apocalyptic language by interpreting it literally.
                    A. T. Robertson preceded the harmony of the Gospels for Matthew 24 with this note:
                    This great discourse has as its background the death of Christ. Further on as part punishment for this crime lies the destruction of Jerusalem. This catastrophe is itself a symbol of the end of the world and in one sense a coming of Christ in power and judgment. But Christ boldly predicts his own personal return to earth, though the time is not revealed. But he does exhort an expectant attitude toward the promises of his coming and readiness for his return which will be at an unexpected hour. Jesus employs the common Jewish apocalyptic imagery to portray this most difficult subject.

As a study of the appropriate use and understanding of the English word "tribulation" the posts for this topic has reached too far. Matthew 24 has also been discussed in "What did Jesus say about the churches" as well as here in "Tribulation."
                    Accordingly, a new topic is opened under "In Depth Studies" - topic "Olivet Discourse."
                    Last edited by glen smith; August 9th, 2017, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X