"Our seminaries today are turning out dead men."

"Finney never made an altar call within the first twenty eight nights

of preaching. Most of our evangelists don´t have twenty eight

sermons. Twenty eight nights in a row and he never made an altar

call. He didn´t preach the love of God. He didn´t say "you´re a

sinner, God loves you." He said "God is angry with the wicked

every day" (Ps 7:11) which the Word of God says... He didn´t

preach love, he preached judgment... He didn´t say "you´re a

wonderful person" he said "you´re a rebel". But he got results.

64% of D. L. Moody's converts backslid, 72% of the converts

Finney got stood because he knew how to attack the human

will, not just the emotions."
    -- Leonard Ravenhill.

"A popular evangelist reaches your emotions. A true prophet

reaches your conscience."

"What good does it do to speak in tongues on Sunday if you have

been using your tongue during the week to curse and gossip?"

"How can you pull down strongholds of Satan if you don´t even

have the strength to turn off your TV?"

"Everyone recognizes that Stephen was Spirit-filled when he was

performing wonders. Yet, he was just as Spirit-filled when he was

being stoned to death."

-- Leonard Ravenhill.

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Apr 13 at 4:12 AM

There is a different insight for me in this quote from Leonard Ravenhill.

"Everyone recognizes that Stephen was Spirit-filled when he was performing wonders. Yet, he was just as Spirit-filled when he was being stoned to death."

Well, I guess I am not everyone. For me, these verses (Acts 6:8,15) are not the focus while expecting what Stephen sees as he is being stoned in Acts 7:55-57. The Bible records that Stephen gazed upon the Glory of God and standing at the Right Hand of God was Jesus. It seems to me that performing "wonders" pales in comparison to seeing Jesus at the Right Hand of God.

55 But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 And he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

I would have expected Ravenhill to have just the opposite insight, "Everyone recognizes that Stephen was Spirit-filled when he was being stoned to death. Yet, he was just as Spirit-filled when he was performing wonders."

I suppose it is the difference in perspectives - either the focus being upon the miracles accomplished through men of God(wonders) or the focus being upon our relationship with God through the Lord Jesus. One perspective provides comfort and hope to those of us still here as we memorialize our loved ones who have died.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
      Glen B Smith
      To:Lou Newton

Apr 13 at 4:12 AM

There is a different insight for me in this quote from Leonard Ravenhill.

"Everyone recognizes that Stephen was Spirit-filled when he was performing wonders. Yet, he was just as Spirit-filled when he was being stoned to death."

Well, I guess I am not everyone. For me, these verses (Acts 6:8,15) are not the focus while expecting what Stephen sees as he is being stoned in Acts 7:55-57. The Bible records that Stephen gazed upon the Glory of God and standing at the Right Hand of God was Jesus. It seems to me that performing "wonders" pales in comparison to seeing Jesus at the Right Hand of God.

55 But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 And he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

I would have expected Ravenhill to have just the opposite insight, "Everyone recognizes that Stephen was Spirit-filled when he was being stoned to death. Yet, he was just as Spirit-filled when he was performing wonders."

I suppose it is the difference in perspectives - either the focus being upon the miracles accomplished through men of God(wonders) or the focus being upon our relationship with God through the Lord Jesus. One perspective provides comfort and hope to those of us still here as we memorialize our loved ones who have died.
      Thanks for your reply Glen. Certainly I agree, (and Ravenhill seems to agree to) that Stephan was more filled with the Holy Spirit as he was stoned to death than he was preforming miracles. To see God and feel His touch would be beyond compare. BUT I agree with Ravenhill that most of the professing Christians would focus of Stephen being filled with the Spirit preforming miracles and I also agree that most would not even think about how filled Stephan was while he was being stoned to death.

That is the very point of his quote; most seek miracles but are not seeking to copy Stephan in being stoned to death.

Comment

Working...
      X