Charge That To My Account - Harry Ironside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge That To My Account - Harry Ironside

Harry Ironside preaches the book of Philemon in a short 18 minute sermon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJ6PRwKCMo

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
    Harry Ironside preaches the book of Philemon in a short 18 minute sermon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJ6PRwKCMo

Great video Barry.
    8 Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do,
    9 yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paul--an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus--
    10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains.
    11Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.
    12 I am sending him--who is my very heart--back to you.
    13 I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel.
    14 But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do will be spontaneous and not forced.
    15 Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good--
    16no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.
    17 So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.
    18 If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.
    19 I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back--not to mention that you owe me your very self.

I once had a man who married my first wife after she left me. He did not act as though he had wronged me, but always acted as though I had wronged him.

We are ALL commanded to forgive our brothers by The Lord Jesus who has the power of everlasting life and the ONE who created everything that exists.

This man treated me terrible. I was invited to my son's first restaurant opening. When I arrived this man was there and scowed at me like I was the scum of the earth. It was my son's restaurant. not his son's and I was not pleased that I could not attend my own son's happy occasion without this man ruining the joyful atmosphere.

Right as he gave me that look, the Lord spoke to me very clearly. The Lord said, "son that is the last time he will look at you like that". It was said with a stern voice and I knew what The Lord had meant by those words. I did not say one word, but was very serious and solemn. I dare not even speak.

About a month later I was told the man had died. He was only 60.

I do not think any of us are aware of how The Lord loves him people.

Think of how God would have so much compassion for His Son who went through such suffering and shame, for our sin. He was totally innocent, yet paid this very high price for our sin so that we could be forgiven.

The Lord had given this man several opportunities to repent. Once I had won my age bracket in a 10 K race. His club, which he was president of, had donated the trophies and was handing them out. When he seen me as one of the trophy winners, he walked off of the podium and left another man who was helping him fend for himself in finishing the job.

Once in court, he walked up to me and poked me in the chest with his finger and threatened me while he called me a "boy". I grabbed his finger and bent it backwards and told him very politely, please do not poke me in the chest and call me boy. He was much larger than me and was surprised and did not do that again.

The Lord loves His Son with a love we can not even begin to understand. His Son suffered and died for the GUILTY that deserved eternal hell.

Philippians 2 Imitating Christ's Humility

1 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
    2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
    3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
    4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
    5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!
    9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

It is because of what His Son did that God has made the Name of Jesus the highest Name of God. God will require every knee to bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is LORD.

As Paul points out, Philemon should treat this servant as he would treat Paul. The man then was aware that he should give him the same room as he would give Paul.

BUT it is even more serious that this. We should not treat another brother as Paul, but it is really Christ who has said, CHARGE HIS WRONGS TO MY ACCOUNT.

How would we speak to Christ. What room would we give Him and what food would we serve Jesus. What gift would we give Jesus.

This is why I did not speak even one word when The Lord told me the man would die. For I knew that he was really showing contempt for the blood that Jesus shed on the cross.

I have attended many churches and many treated me like a second class Christian because they looked down on me.

But now I see that it was not really me that they were showing contempt for. They were showing contempt for the blood that God's only Son shed on that cross.

On one hand we are to remember that God loves us as he loves His Son. THINK ABOUT THAT. Do you find it difficult to believe that God loves you. His Son has paid for your sins and said, charge his sins to my account, I have paid for them. What Christ paid for is paid for indeed. For He shed all of His innocent blood.

Jesus has told The Father, to give you His room in the mansion. Just as Paul told Philemon to give his servant the room he would give Paul.

On the other hand we also must remember how serious it is to treat a bother with even the least disrespect or contempt. IT IS DEADLY SERIOUS. For it is really God's only Son that is being shown disrespect and contempt.

There are no second class Christians. For when God looks upon the very least among them, He only see's the blood of His One and Only Son.

Lou Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Great video Barry.
      8 Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do,
      9 yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paul--an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus--
      10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains.
      11Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.
      12 I am sending him--who is my very heart--back to you.
      13 I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel.
      14 But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do will be spontaneous and not forced.
      15 Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good--
      16no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.
      17 So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.
      18 If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.
      19 I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back--not to mention that you owe me your very self.

I once had a man who married my first wife after she left me. He did not act as though he had wronged me, but always acted as though I had wronged him.

We are ALL commanded to forgive our brothers by The Lord Jesus who has the power of everlasting life and the ONE who created everything that exists.

This man treated me terrible. I was invited to my son's first restaurant opening. When I arrived this man was there and scowed at me like I was the scum of the earth. It was my son's restaurant. not his son's and I was not pleased that I could not attend my own son's happy occasion without this man ruining the joyful atmosphere.

Right as he gave me that look, the Lord spoke to me very clearly. The Lord said, "son that is the last time he will look at you like that". It was said with a stern voice and I knew what The Lord had meant by those words. I did not say one word, but was very serious and solemn. I dare not even speak.

About a month later I was told the man had died. He was only 60.

I do not think any of us are aware of how The Lord loves him people.

Think of how God would have so much compassion for His Son who went through such suffering and shame, for our sin. He was totally innocent, yet paid this very high price for our sin so that we could be forgiven.

The Lord had given this man several opportunities to repent. Once I had won my age bracket in a 10 K race. His club, which he was president of, had donated the trophies and was handing them out. When he seen me as one of the trophy winners, he walked off of the podium and left another man who was helping him fend for himself in finishing the job.

Once in court, he walked up to me and poked me in the chest with his finger and threatened me while he called me a "boy". I grabbed his finger and bent it backwards and told him very politely, please do not poke me in the chest and call me boy. He was much larger than me and was surprised and did not do that again.

The Lord loves His Son with a love we can not even begin to understand. His Son suffered and died for the GUILTY that deserved eternal hell.

Philippians 2 http://www.biblestudytools.com/passage/?q=philippians+2:1-11"]Imitating Christ's Humility[/URL]

1 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
      2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
      3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
      4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
      5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
      6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
      7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
      8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!
      9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
      10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
      11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

It is because of what His Son did that God has made the Name of Jesus the highest Name of God. God will require every knee to bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is LORD.

As Paul points out, Philemon should treat this servant as he would treat Paul. The man then was aware that he should give him the same room as he would give Paul.

BUT it is even more serious that this. We should not treat another brother as Paul, but it is really Christ who has said, CHARGE HIS WRONGS TO MY ACCOUNT.

How would we speak to Christ. What room would we give Him and what food would we serve Jesus. What gift would we give Jesus.

This is why I did not speak even one word when The Lord told me the man would die. For I knew that he was really showing contempt for the blood that Jesus shed on the cross.

I have attended many churches and many treated me like a second class Christian because they looked down on me.

But now I see that it was not really me that they were showing contempt for. They were showing contempt for the blood that God's only Son shed on that cross.

On one hand we are to remember that God loves us as he loves His Son. THINK ABOUT THAT. Do you find it difficult to believe that God loves you. His Son has paid for your sins and said, charge his sins to my account, I have paid for them. What Christ paid for is paid for indeed. For He shed all of His innocent blood.

Jesus has told The Father, to give you His room in the mansion. Just as Paul told Philemon to give his servant the room he would give Paul.

On the other hand we also must remember how serious it is to treat a bother with even the least disrespect or contempt. IT IS DEADLY SERIOUS. For it is really God's only Son that is being shown disrespect and contempt.

There are no second class Christians. For when God looks upon the very least among them, He only see's the blood of His One and Only Son.

Lou Newton

Thank you for that Lou. It is a sobering message. I must forgive my brother in law and try to remember that Jesus died for him. I have to remember that whenever I get upset about anyone else that has wronged me.
      This man that scorned you was not a brother in the Lord so how is if the scorner is a believer? ..... Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post

Thank you for that Lou. It is a sobering message. I must forgive my brother in law and try to remember that Jesus died for him. I have to remember that whenever I get upset about anyone else that has wronged me.
        This man that scorned you was not a brother in the Lord so how is if the scorner is a believer? ..... Steve

He was a professing Christian and a member of the RCC. Was he a true follower of The Lord Jesus ? I am not the judge of that.

BTW, you would think his two children which grew up in a home with him and my ex wife, who has talked terrible about me, would certainly have learned to hate me. But his son always greets me with a smile and a handshake and the last time I seen his daughter at my grandsons graduation party, she greeted me with the hug that she always does. I have very little contact with either but this is the way they always greet me. His son is always very cordial, but I always feel love from his daughter. Both seem to have not followed the example they were given. I do not know any reason this young women has to show love to me, except for she may show me love after seeing all of the hate coming my way from those in her own house.

If we tally up a score card for someone, we may be totally convinced that they have certainly wronged us. BUT that is the wrong way to go about it. IF they truly asking Jesus to forgive their sin, then he forgives them. He even forgives the sin that they do not see.

I used to look at the wrongs my brother did to me. But then I started praying for the Lord to show me my wrongs that I did against him. With prayer I forgot about the wrongs that he did to me and now I only see the wrongs I did to him. Now I pray fervently for him every day and night and have much love for him.

If we truly see ourselves as sinners worthy of eternal damnation, then how can we be anything but thankful for The Lord's forgiveness. We do not deserve that forgiveness. If we are forgiven of terrible sins that deserve eternal damnation, then why would we not want any sin of others also to be forgiven. Are their sins worse than ours. If we feel that way, then we do not see our sin as truly terrible.

If we see our sin as truly terrible, then we should want forgiveness for anyone caught in the same trap as we are. They are not the enemy, but the enemy is sin. We should not hate them, but hate the trap we are both caught in, which is sin.

If The Lord would hate the sinner, instead of the sin, we would all be lost forever.

We need to follow Him and also hate the sin instead of the sinner.

If we do this, we should be able to love anyone who sins, for they are caught in this terrible trap of sin, like we are.

How can we not have compassion for anyone caught in the same trap that we are caught in.

If I look at the sin of Hitler, they are terrible beyond my ability to consider. But if I see Hitler caught in this terrible trap of sin like me, then I can have compassion on him personally. I hate the terrible misery that he brought upon this earth, but I can have compassion on him, the sinner, caught in the same trap of sin that I am caught in. It is only by the grace of God that I did not do the same things that he did. For sin is in me, and there is no limit to the evil sin can do.

Are not our sins as bad as Hitler's. We sinned against a righteous God that died on the cross for us. How could anyone do anything more terrible than that.

We have been unfaithful to the Faithful One who has done nothing but love us. How is any wrong done to us, and we are evil, nearly as bad as what we do to The Lord Jesus.

What has anyone done to any of us that we do not deserve. After all, do we not truly deserve eternal hell. Then they have only gave us LESS that we deserve. We deserve much more evil than they have done to us.

When we see the truth, the truth will set us free.

Anyone that sins against us, sins against a sinner guilty of sin that deserves eternal hell. We have never done anything good

Jesus was tempted with every sin that exists. He knows how devilish sin is and how bad the trap of sin is. Jesus hates our sin, but he truly loves us.

We can also hate the sin of others while truly loving them.

Anyone that sins against us, sins against a person guilty of sin that deserves eternal hell. Can we forget what we deserve ? We deserve even more than anyone might do to us. After all we have never done anything good to them. For everything we do and think is sin. Our most righteous deed is filthy rags. That fact alone messes up our score card that we may be keeping for others.

But we have sinned against the one and only innocent and righteous Lord Jesus. There is no sin as bad as that.

After all are we forgiven by grace alone, or because we deserve to be forgiven.

Grace to you
        Lou Newton
        Last edited by Lou Newton; November 17, 2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I hear you brother. And I agree. I know I am wretched. The thing that makes it so hard to forgive one another is holding on to the hurt and pain that the other person has caused us. But when I focus on the hurt and pain that I have caused it makes it easier to see past all of my selfish emotions. ..... Steve

Comment

I hear you brother. And I agree. I know I am wretched. The thing that makes it so hard to forgive one another is holding on to the hurt and pain that the other person has caused us. But when I focus on the hurt and pain that I have caused it makes it easier to see past all of my selfish emotions. ..... Steve
            God's Righteous Judgment

1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
            2 Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.
            3 So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?
            4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
            5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6God "will give to each person according to what he has done."

Verse 1- we do the same things that we condemn others for. For we can do no good and our most righteous deed is like filthy rags. So when we condemn others, we are condemning ourselves.

Vs 2 & 3 - when we condemn others we are then under God's judgment.

Vs 4 - We are actually showing contempt for God's mercy when we condemn others. BUT His mercy is our only hope. That is like drilling holes in your own lifeboat.

Vs 5- we store up WRATH for ourselves when we do this.

Vs 6 - This verse is misunderstood. Many think that God will give each person according to how righteous they have been, or by their works of following His law.

NO, this verse refers back to what was written in the first 5 verses.

6God "will give to each person according to what he has done." - this means God will give to us according to how we do NOT judge others and how we do NOT show contempt for His mercy and grace. God will give us according to how we forgive others and show mercy to them. For He gives mercy to those who show mercy.

AND if we have mercy and grace for others who sin against us, we do that by grace and grace alone and NOT of our own efforts.

Lou Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

God's Righteous Judgment

1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
              2 Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.
              3 So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?
              4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
              5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6God "will give to each person according to what he has done."

Verse 1- we do the same things that we condemn others for. For we can do no good and our most righteous deed is like filthy rags. So when we condemn others, we are condemning ourselves.

Vs 2 & 3 - when we condemn others we are then under God's judgment.

Vs 4 - We are actually showing contempt for God's mercy when we condemn others. BUT His mercy is our only hope. That is like drilling holes in your own lifeboat.

Vs 5- we store up WRATH for ourselves when we do this.

Vs 6 - This verse is misunderstood. Many think that God will give each person according to how righteous they have been, or by their works of following His law.

NO, this verse refers back to what was written in the first 5 verses.

6God "will give to each person according to what he has done." - this means God will give to us according to how we do NOT judge others and how we do NOT show contempt for His mercy and grace. God will give us according to how we forgive others and show mercy to them. For He gives mercy to those who show mercy.

AND if we have mercy and grace for others who sin against us, we do that by grace and grace alone and NOT of our own efforts.

Lou Newton

I pray for mercy and to be merciful on others. Like I said; I need to forget the hurt they have caused me and remember the hurt I have caused.

Comment

I pray for mercy and to be merciful on others. Like I said; I need to forget the hurt they have caused me and remember the hurt I have caused.

Amen Steve. But we must also remember this:

We are NOT forgiven because we stop sinning, or because we forgive everyone. We are forgiven because we confess our sin, and we are saved because we trust in Jesus alone to save us.

Anyone that calls upon the name of The Lord will be saved.

Comment

Thanks, guys. These posts blessed me, they are very thought provoking.

Luk 9:53 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
                  Luk 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
                  Luk 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Unforgiveness is born of wrath. Anger, strife, malice, scorn, mockery, reviling, etc...when we serve them, it sows to our flesh. What is sown to the flesh will not endure purification and refinement, but will be lost, as dross. Many things that we may give place to and do nurture the root of bitterness. Bitterness brings death, right? Gall, Wormwood, poisoned waters. We must attack the root by starving it of the things that nourish and strengthen it. When we do not forgive, we are calling for wrath.

Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
                  Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

We see again this word, sacrifice, which also means slaughter. Jesus quotes Hosea twice in response to the Pharisees, the doctors of the law of sin and death. The Lord loves mercy, and takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
                  Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
                  Mat 26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

Joh 18:35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
                  Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

I think Jesus expresses here that taking the sword in defense of God's kingdom is not aligned with His spirit. The kingdom of this world is built upon hatred, strife and destruction. God's kingdom is built upon love, mercy and peace. A legion is said to be 6,000. Twelve legions of angles would be 72,000. Is this enough to destroy this world by His military might? I'm sure of it. Thank God that He loves mercy.

Mercy is born of love. Mercy, grace, hope, etc...when we follow the Spirit it sows to the spirit. What is sown to the spirit will endure purification and refinement.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
                  Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Here in Galatians is an expression of the law of sowing and reaping. It's fairly terse and easy to understand. But the natural mind, I think, has problems with terse truths. The natural mind tends to receive these as "do as I say" and it rebels and looks for loopholes. When I see these things I always ask why (unless I'm distracted or having a dumb moment). It is beneficial to ask why when we ask in the right spirit, not to serve an agenda but to learn the great truth behind it.

2Co 9:1 Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints,
                  2Co 9:2 for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedonia, saying that Achaia has been ready since last year. And your zeal has stirred up most of them.
                  2Co 9:3 But I am sending the brothers so that our boasting about you may not prove empty in this matter, so that you may be ready, as I said you would be.
                  2Co 9:4 Otherwise, if some Macedonians come with me and find that you are not ready, we would be humiliated—to say nothing of you—for being so confident.
                  2Co 9:5 So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction.
                  2Co 9:6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
                  2Co 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

This, I think, reveals some important nuances of God's heart and mind. Paul is telling Corinth they should be prepared for the "collection of the saints" as mentioned in his previous letter, 1Co 16:1, which they had promised. But not to wait, so that it becomes a matter of extracting the gift on the spot, but of each giving (think FORgiving) out of one's bounty. Here again is the law of sowing and reaping expressed.

Why does Paul mention in verse 9:7 that God loves a cheerful giver? It helps me to flip how I look at such brief assertions, which seem to imply that they should be well known or common sense. Simply, God is a cheerful giver. He is not a grudging giver. He doesn't hold back, and covet His bounty for His own gain. Jesus died for us because He and the Father are one, and it pleased the Father, in part, it seems to me, because He knows and keeps this law. The Father gave all that He had: His son. The Son gave all that He had: His life. God gave us His very own Spirit. God reaps what He sows: a bountiful family of sons who return His love freely. We are called higher, to be conformed to His likeness.

This passage in 2Co speaks of money. But it also speaks of spiritual things.

If we withhold forgiveness, then are we in effect coveting wrath? If we forgive sparingly, then are we in effect giving grudgingly? And doesn't God tell us we reap what we sow?

It's good to ponder these things, so that God may reveal to us how we can wrestle with them and overcome them. It is for our own good, which is to His glory. It seems that many followers of Jesus have an issue of unforgiveness. The unbelieving world teaches us this. We are raised as mercenaries, quid pro quo, something for something. If you are bad to me or do more bad than I, then you owe me something. But God's bounty is limitless, and He promises that faith in Him is richly rewarded. (By this I do not mean that Prosperity rubbish, but the higher heavenly truth.)

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Forgiveness like many things starts with a choice. Emotions are not required, and even can work against us. If we have trouble with a returning grudge after we've forgiven, it is likely a root of bitterness. Devils speak out of it, trying to stir up old anger and reopen old wounds. Forgive as often as it takes. Giving up should not be an option. Possess that plot of land, starve the root until it dies, and then till the soil.

When we practice and express forgiveness in truth, it is the Spirit of God shining through our earthen vessel.
                  Last edited by Baruch; November 17, 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                    Thanks, guys. These posts blessed me, they are very thought provoking.

Luk 9:53 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
                    Luk 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
                    Luk 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Unforgiveness is born of wrath. Anger, strife, malice, scorn, mockery, reviling, etc...when we serve them, it sows to our flesh. What is sown to the flesh will not endure purification and refinement, but will be lost, as dross. Many things that we may give place to and do nurture the root of bitterness. Bitterness brings death, right? Gall, Wormwood, poisoned waters. We must attack the root by starving it of the things that nourish and strengthen it. When we do not forgive, we are calling for wrath.

Hos 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
                    Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

We see again this word, sacrifice, which also means slaughter. Jesus quotes Hosea twice in response to the Pharisees, the doctors of the law of sin and death. The Lord loves mercy, and takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.

Mat 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
                    Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
                    Mat 26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

Joh 18:35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
                    Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

I think Jesus expresses here that taking the sword in defense of God's kingdom is not aligned with His spirit. The kingdom of this world is built upon hatred, strife and destruction. God's kingdom is built upon love, mercy and peace. A legion is said to be 6,000. Twelve legions of angles would be 72,000. Is this enough to destroy this world by His military might? I'm sure of it. Thank God that He loves mercy.

Mercy is born of love. Mercy, grace, hope, etc...when we follow the Spirit it sows to the spirit. What is sown to the spirit will endure purification and refinement.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
                    Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Here in Galatians is an expression of the law of sowing and reaping. It's fairly terse and easy to understand. But the natural mind, I think, has problems with terse truths. The natural mind tends to receive these as "do as I say" and it rebels and looks for loopholes. When I see these things I always ask why (unless I'm distracted or having a dumb moment). It is beneficial to ask why when we ask in the right spirit, not to serve an agenda but to learn the great truth behind it.

2Co 9:1 Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints,
                    2Co 9:2 for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedonia, saying that Achaia has been ready since last year. And your zeal has stirred up most of them.
                    2Co 9:3 But I am sending the brothers so that our boasting about you may not prove empty in this matter, so that you may be ready, as I said you would be.
                    2Co 9:4 Otherwise, if some Macedonians come with me and find that you are not ready, we would be humiliated—to say nothing of you—for being so confident.
                    2Co 9:5 So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction.
                    2Co 9:6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
                    2Co 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

This, I think, reveals some important nuances of God's heart and mind. Paul is telling Corinth they should be prepared for the "collection of the saints" as mentioned in his previous letter, 1Co 16:1, which they had promised. But not to wait, so that it becomes a matter of extracting the gift on the spot, but of each giving (think FORgiving) out of one's bounty. Here again is the law of sowing and reaping expressed.

Why does Paul mention in verse 9:7 that God loves a cheerful giver? It helps me to flip how I look at such brief assertions, which seem to imply that they should be well known or common sense. Simply, God is a cheerful giver. He is not a grudging giver. He doesn't hold back, and covet His bounty for His own gain. Jesus died for us because He and the Father are one, and it pleased the Father, in part, it seems to me, because He knows and keeps this law. The Father gave all that He had: His son. The Son gave all that He had: His life. God gave us His very own Spirit. God reaps what He sows: a bountiful family of sons who return His love freely. We are called higher, to be conformed to His likeness.

This passage in 2Co speaks of money. But it also speaks of spiritual things.

If we withhold forgiveness, then are we in effect coveting wrath? If we forgive sparingly, then are we in effect giving grudgingly? And doesn't God tell us we reap what we sow?

It's good to ponder these things, so that God may reveal to us how we can wrestle with them and overcome them. It is for our own good, which is to His glory. It seems that many followers of Jesus have an issue of unforgiveness. The unbelieving world teaches us this. We are raised as mercenaries, quid pro quo, something for something. If you are bad to me or do more bad than I, then you owe me something. But God's bounty is limitless, and He promises that faith in Him is richly rewarded. (By this I do not mean that Prosperity rubbish, but the higher heavenly truth.)

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Forgiveness like many things starts with a choice. Emotions are not required, and even can work against us. If we have trouble with a returning grudge after we've forgiven, it is likely a root of bitterness. Devils speak out of it, trying to stir up old anger and reopen old wounds. Forgive as often as it takes. Giving up should not be an option. Possess that plot of land, starve the root until it dies, and then till the soil.

When we practice and express forgiveness in truth, it is the Spirit of God shining through our earthen vessel.
                    Thanks Barry, some very good scriptures and thoughts.

Comment

Really well put Barry. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X