the world telling people to "pray this little prayer after me" in
    order to be 'saved' or converted. Some call it "Asking Jesus into
    your heart" or 'Giving your heart to the Lord,' or praying the
    "Sinner's prayer." But would it surprise you to learn that such a
    thing is found NOWHERE in the entire Bible? Is there ever a time
    when an apostle or evangelist in the New Testament leads some-
    one in such a "salvation prayer" - or anything like it? No - never."
    -Andrew Strom.

Does anyone have any thought s about these quotes ?

Comment

Sorry brother I received them in an email earlier before you posted them.
      I always questioned the sinners prayer.

Comment

Thanks for posting these, Lou. Things like this make me think, and the noodle is a muscle that needs to be flexed often.

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
        GREAT QUOTES on TRUE SALVATION

"A world of nice people, content in their own niceness, looking no
        further, turned away from God, would be just as desperately in
        need of salvation as a miserable world - and might be even more
        difficult to save."
        -C.S. Lewis
        Absolutely. I see this often as an expression of wishing for peace on earth, heaven on earth, winning the lottery or the next big goal to bring relief from personal distress. But without God, the Savior, integrated into those things. In other words they want the good fruits of God, without God. I am reminded of Romans 1, and

Isa 26:10 Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.

and frequent admonishments to raise our children in godliness.

In 1 AD, Rome was a remarkably ordered, wise, peaceable, and prosperous society compared to other nations. In many respects the inhabitants may have thought that this was a pinnacle of achievement, for man had achieved a heaping measure of world peace. But not one of those happy souls was saved without the grace of God.

"One single soul saved shall outlive and outweigh all the kingdoms
        of the world."
        - J. C. Ryle
        I was reflecting on something recently. How man cannot save himself. No matter what he builds or offers up, it cannot compensate for the loss of his soul. All of mankind is bankrupt of wisdom, power, and might and is unable to redeem even a single of his incarcerated kin because he has no equity to offer in its place. The Lord by His wisdom redeemed many souls. But what is the cost of one soul? It is the same price that Jesus paid for many.

"Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you are not saved
        yourself. Be sure of that."
        - Charles Spurgeon
        This I believe to be one of the true litmus tests of a healthy fellowship with the Lord. If we do not have this, we ought to inquire and wrestle to lay hold on it.

"I am not the author of the plan of salvation, but I am responsible
        for the way I preach it."
        - Billy Sunday
        Uh. Yes. Colossians 4.

"For more than 60 years the Christian church has gone around
        the world telling people to "pray this little prayer after me" in
        order to be 'saved' or converted. Some call it "Asking Jesus into
        your heart" or 'Giving your heart to the Lord,' or praying the
        "Sinner's prayer." But would it surprise you to learn that such a
        thing is found NOWHERE in the entire Bible? Is there ever a time
        when an apostle or evangelist in the New Testament leads some-
        one in such a "salvation prayer" - or anything like it? No - never."
        -Andrew Strom.

Blah, it's like joining a club, or signing an undisclosed agreement.

How powerful by comparison is such a cry, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

Act 16
        31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. 34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
          Thanks for posting these, Lou. Things like this make me think, and the noodle is a muscle that needs to be flexed often.

Absolutely. I see this often as an expression of wishing for peace on earth, heaven on earth, winning the lottery or the next big goal to bring relief from personal distress. But without God, the Savior, integrated into those things. In other words they want the good fruits of God, without God. I am reminded of Romans 1, and

Isa 26:10 Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.

and frequent admonishments to raise our children in godliness.

In 1 AD, Rome was a remarkably ordered, wise, peaceable, and prosperous society compared to other nations. In many respects the inhabitants may have thought that this was a pinnacle of achievement, for man had achieved a heaping measure of world peace. But not one of those happy souls was saved without the grace of God.

I was reflecting on something recently. How man cannot save himself. No matter what he builds or offers up, it cannot compensate for the loss of his soul. All of mankind is bankrupt of wisdom, power, and might and is unable to redeem even a single of his incarcerated kin because he has no equity to offer in its place. The Lord by His wisdom redeemed many souls. But what is the cost of one soul? It is the same price that Jesus paid for many.

This I believe to be one of the true litmus tests of a healthy fellowship with the Lord. If we do not have this, we ought to inquire and wrestle to lay hold on it.

Uh. Yes. Colossians 4.

Blah, it's like joining a club, or signing an undisclosed agreement.

How powerful by comparison is such a cry, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

Act 16
          31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. 34 And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

Thanks for the replies Steve and Barry.

The scriptures tell us that there is one and only one condition to being saved. That is to trust Jesus, and nothing else, to save you:

Col 1

20 It was through what his Son did that God cleared a path for everything to come to him—all things in heaven and on earth—for Christ’s death on the cross has made peace with God for all by his blood. 21 This includes you who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies and hated him and were separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions, yet now he has brought you back as his friends. 22 He has done this through the death on the cross of his own human body, and now as a result Christ has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are standing there before him with nothing left against you—nothing left that he could even chide you for; 23 the only condition is that you fully believe the Truth, standing in it steadfast and firm, strong in the Lord, convinced of the Good News that Jesus died for you, and never shifting from trusting him to save you.

Only is an adverb that mean having to do with ONE. The things listed before the one condition are telling how we have to fulfill this one condition.

Now there are many who would claim they have done this one condition, BUT only Jesus is The Judge of who has and who has not.

IF a person truly trust Jesus to save them they will surely give their life to Jesus when they start trusting Him to save them.

Anyone who has become aware that they can not save themselves, and has decided to trust Jesus to save them; will want to get their life out of their own hands as soon as possible. If they truly trust Jesus to save them, then they will place their life in His hands because He is trustworthy.

If one is in a burning house, will they leave the next day, or run out of it immediately. If someone hangs onto their life, it is because they do not trust Jesus with their life. They are unaware that leaving their life in their hands is like sleeping in a burning house.

If someone falls on their knees and begs Jesus to forgive them and then begs Him to take their life and do with it as He pleases and never give it back to them. Is this not trusting Jesus to save them.
          Last edited by Lou Newton; February 20, 2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I agree Lou but how many times have I placed myself in awkward positions instead of trusting Him to save me from the situation. Once I started to really trust Him, He saved me out of those circumstances. The court case a few years ago and the hospital stay are two of the times that come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
              I agree Lou but how many times have I placed myself in awkward positions instead of trusting Him to save me from the situation. Once I started to really trust Him, He saved me out of those circumstances. The court case a few years ago and the hospital stay are two of the times that come to mind.

We are all slow learners Steve. Our flesh is afraid of death and that fear causes us to sin and not want to trust Jesus.

But praise God, we do not have to be willing to do His will, but we only have to be willing to be made willing to do his will.

He makes me willing to do His will, by teaching me my way is never the best for me, and His way is always far better. My way brings grief, His way brings joy.

Comment

Amen. Now if I can just put that in practice all the time.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Steve and Barry.

The scriptures tell us that there is one and only one condition to being saved. That is to trust Jesus, and nothing else, to save you:

Col 1

20 It was through what his Son did that God cleared a path for everything to come to him—all things in heaven and on earth—for Christ’s death on the cross has made peace with God for all by his blood. 21 This includes you who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies and hated him and were separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions, yet now he has brought you back as his friends. 22 He has done this through the death on the cross of his own human body, and now as a result Christ has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are standing there before him with nothing left against you—nothing left that he could even chide you for; 23 the only condition is that you fully believe the Truth, standing in it steadfast and firm, strong in the Lord, convinced of the Good News that Jesus died for you, and never shifting from trusting him to save you.

Only is an adverb that mean having to do with ONE. The things listed before the one condition are telling how we have to fulfill this one condition.

Now there are many who would claim they have done this one condition, BUT only Jesus is The Judge of who has and who has not.

IF a person truly trust Jesus to save them they will surely give their life to Jesus when they start trusting Him to save them.

Anyone who has become aware that they can not save themselves, and has decided to trust Jesus to save them; will want to get their life out of their own hands as soon as possible. If they truly trust Jesus to save them, then they will place their life in His hands because He is trustworthy.

If one is in a burning house, will they leave the next day, or run out of it immediately. If someone hangs onto their life, it is because they do not trust Jesus with their life. They are unaware that leaving their life in their hands is like sleeping in a burning house.

If someone falls on their knees and begs Jesus to forgive them and then begs Him to take their life and do with it as He pleases and never give it back to them. Is this not trusting Jesus to save them.

There is one more thing I should add. I woke up this morning thinking about this:

While there is only one condition to being saved, and that is trusting Jesus alone to save us; and if we trust Him to save us we will certainly give our life to Him to do as He sees fit; for us to be able to even see our need to be saved we must have our sin revealed to us by His grace.

1 John 1
                  5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
                  6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
                  7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
                  8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
                  9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
                  10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

We must have our sin revealed to us by The Lord in His grace.

When we see that our every act, word and deed are filthy rags then we see the need to be saved.

It is only then that we can see Jesus as our only Hope and put our trust in Him to save us.

Many who profess to be Christians have only confessed a few little sins; so they are forgiven of little like Simon in the gospels.

But we must confess our every sin to be forgiven of them all. The only way to do that is to confess that everything we have ever done, said or thought is sin.

Then we are forgiven of much like Mary who anointed the feet of Jesus in the gospels.

Lou Newton
                  Last edited by Lou Newton; February 21, 2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

There is one more thing I should add. I woke up this morning thinking about this:

While there is only one condition to being saved, and that is trusting Jesus alone to save us; and if we trust Him to save us we will certainly give our life to Him to do as He sees fit; for us to be able to even see our need to be saved we must have our sin revealed to us by His grace.

1 John 1
                    5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
                    6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
                    7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
                    8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
                    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
                    10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

We must have our sin revealed to us by The Lord in His grace.

When we see that our every act, word and deed are filthy rags then we see the need to be saved.

It is only then that we can see Jesus as our only Hope and put our trust in Him to save us.

Lou Newton
                    But how do I know if I am giving my life to Him always or am I at the helm sometimes?

Comment

But how do I know if I am giving my life to Him always or am I at the helm sometimes?

Very good question Steve, an one that many have.

We present our bodies as living sacrifices, and living sacrifices will try to crawl off or struggle on the altar sometimes. But praise The Lord for His mercy and grace.

If we truly gave our life to Him, He will hold it in His hand and no one can remove us from His hand.

Romans 12

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

We are the saved, He is The Savior.

Our salvation does not depend on us, but our salvation depends on Him.

We are weak, He is strong.

We are foolish, He is wise.

We are sinful, He is The King of Righteousness.

So you have confessed this weakness, this foolishness, this sinfulness, now He is faithful and just and will forgive you and purify you of all unrighteousness.

1 John 1

Notice that our job is to confess our sin, the rest is His job.

If we could do His job, we would not need Jesus.

Lou Newton

Comment

Thanks Lou.

Comment

Thanks Lou.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I just happened to see this minutes ago, it made me laugh. It points out how arrogant we are:

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
                          Will Rogers

Comment

Exactly. I was foolish enough to engage that man on the pretribulation rapture. He attacked me and belittled me. He said that I wasn't a Christian man and should repent. The man signed his email with telling me that I "remain an idiot." So yes men are very arrogant. ...... Steve

Comment

"Preaching truth without the anointing of the Holy Ghost is helping
                              the devil to damn souls. There's nothing on earth today so
                              deadening as preaching without heaven's anointing. Refrain from
                              preaching unless you know that the dew of heaven is on your soul."

-- Duncan Campbell

How true this is. We have men who were not called of God to be preachers preaching what they think is right.

This is how Israel fell during the period of the judges:
                              Judges 21

25 In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

Judges 17

.6 In those days there was no king in Israel.Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

Now the Pope is telling people to do just this. To follow their conscience.

But The Bible tells us to follow The Holy Spirit, NOT our conscience.

Romans 8

14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

God gave us a conscience to convict us of sin. BUT no man can even know what is right of himself, let alone do it.

If we could know what was right and then able to do it, Jesus did not have to die.

Once our conscience convicts us of sin, we should confess our sin and give our total life to The Lord Jesus and follow His Holy Spirit.

"Cowards never won heaven. Do not claim that you are begotten of
                              God and have His royal blood running in your veins unless you can
                              prove your lineage by this heroic spirit: to dare to be holy in spite
                              of men and devils." -- William Gurnall

"Any concept of grace that makes us feel more comfortable
                              sinning is not biblical grace. God's grace never encourages us to
                              live in sin, on the contrary, it empowers us to say no to sin and
                              yes to truth." -- Randy Alcorn

"Get rid of this bunkum about the 'carnal Christian'. Forget it! If
                              you're carnal, you're not saved." -- Leonard Ravenhill

"I am not afraid that the people called Methodists should ever
                              cease to exist either in Europe or America. But I am afraid lest
                              they should only exist as a dead sect, having the form of religion
                              without the power. And this undoubtedly will be the case unless
                              they hold fast both the doctrine, spirit, and discipline with which
                              they first set out." -- John Wesley

"When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into

my heart." -- John Wesley.

Comment

Working...
                              X