-Thomas Watson.

"Passing along the road the other day, we thought we had found
    a very beautiful knife. On picking it up we found it to be only a
    handle without a blade. So do we hear very beautiful sermons-
    well written and well read-but they are without a blade. They cut
    out no cancers of sin and carve out no models of piety. Sermons
    must have blades!" -Author Unknown

"Several years ago... I remember coming across a book by Ernie
    Reisinger called "Today's Evangelism" and I began to read it...
    I got half way through that book and this is no exaggeration...
    This is true. I fell out of that chair with such the fear of God upon
    my life, and I pressed my face into those old boards of that room
    in the city of Lima... I pressed my face as far into those boards
    as they could get in fear... and cried out to God, "God, If you
    promise not to kill me for the way I've preached your gospel, I
    promise from here on out I'll never preach it that way again."
    - Paul Washer

"The good old Puritans, I believe, never preached better than when
    in danger of being taken to prison as soon as they had finished
    their sermon. And however the church may be at peace now, yet
    I am persuaded, unless you go forth with the same temper, you
    will never preach with the same demonstration of the Spirit and
    of power. Study, therefore, my brethren,-I beseech you by the
    mercies of God in Christ Jesus,-study your hearts as well as
    books; ask yourselves again and again whether you would preach
    for Christ, if you were sure to lay down your lives for so doing?"
    -George Whitefield.

"What will it cost me for God to break my heart?" - "It will cost you
    absolutely everything."
    - Gerhard DuToit

I like the quotes you find. Thanks, Lou.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
      I like the quotes you find. Thanks, Lou.
      Thanks Barry for the reply.

Jesus, who was also fully a man, had the most appreciation for the gospel. BUT He paid the most for it.

Things that come with a small price are held at a small value.

Things that cost us dearly, are held at a great value.

Comment

"When thereīs something in the Bible that churches donīt like,
        they call it `legalism.ī"
        -Leonard Ravenhill

"I donīt believe there is a man on the whole TV that preaches
        salvation. They preach forgiveness. Forgiveness is not salvation.
        They point out "thereīs a man in bed with some other man's wife in
        a Motel". "Oh you know the Lord loves you just as you are." Well
        then why get changed? Commit adultery as much as you like. He
        still loves you. Be a cheat, be a liar, be a thief, and be a failure.
        He still loves you. But thereīs a scripture. Isnīt it the Psalms 7....
        where it says "God is angry with the wicked every day.""
        -- Leonard Ravenhill.

"We talk of the Second Coming; half the world has never heard of
        the first." -- Oswald J. Smith

"I doubt that more than two percent of professing Christians in the
        United States are truly born again."
        -Leonard Ravenhill

"What good does it do to speak in tongues on Sunday if you have
        been using your tongue during the week to curse and gossip?"
        -Leonard Ravenhill

"Why do we expect to be better treated in this world than Jesus was?"
        -Leonard Ravenhill

"Todayīs church wants to be raptured from responsibility."
        -Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
          "When thereīs something in the Bible that churches donīt like,
          they call it `legalism.ī"
          -Leonard Ravenhill

"I donīt believe there is a man on the whole TV that preaches
          salvation. They preach forgiveness. Forgiveness is not salvation.
          They point out "thereīs a man in bed with some other man's wife in
          a Motel". "Oh you know the Lord loves you just as you are." Well
          then why get changed? Commit adultery as much as you like. He
          still loves you. Be a cheat, be a liar, be a thief, and be a failure.
          He still loves you. But thereīs a scripture. Isnīt it the Psalms 7....
          where it says "God is angry with the wicked every day.""
          -- Leonard Ravenhill.

"We talk of the Second Coming; half the world has never heard of
          the first." -- Oswald J. Smith

"I doubt that more than two percent of professing Christians in the
          United States are truly born again."
          -Leonard Ravenhill

"What good does it do to speak in tongues on Sunday if you have
          been using your tongue during the week to curse and gossip?"
          -Leonard Ravenhill

"Why do we expect to be better treated in this world than Jesus was?"
          -Leonard Ravenhill

"Todayīs church wants to be raptured from responsibility."
          -Leonard Ravenhill
          Does anyone have any thoughts about any of these quotes ?

Comment

OUR LORD's LESSON on PERSEVERANCE
            by Kimberley Demmitt

I feel Led by Him to share His Lesson about perseverance. In
            general, our Lord Reminds us that the Higher the Calling, the
            longer & more arduous the preparation time, whereas the Grander
            the Promise, the more the tenacity that is required in our
            perseverance. *The biggest Blessings will always occur in a
            magnitude that is directly proportional to the degree of difficulties
            in attaining Them. *So, please,*do not quit *-- no matter how
            long you have waited, how painful it has been, or what mistakes
            you may have made along the way. Trust our Lord's Love enough
            to believe that He would never allow any of His Beloved Children
            to be cruelly deceived for endless years by a delusion -- no one
            who sincerely seeks to know Him or His Will can ever be led
            astray. We must*choose*to be deceived.

Comment

"When thereīs something in the Bible that churches donīt like, they call it `legalism.ī" -Leonard Ravenhill

This seems true in principle. I would like to know what our brother had particularly in mind when he said this.

Today it seems there is a movement of no small number of people towards Judaizing doctrines, and many are caught up trusting in legalism, walking in the opposite direction of grace, or in a day-to-day zigzag to a fro.

"We talk of the Second Coming; half the world has never heard of the first." -- Oswald J. Smith

This one is a good point. There was a series of shorts on youtube of many peoples named, mostly in Asia it seemed, who had not yet (to the modern church's recollection) heard the gospel. These were small numbers in small tribes. I was impressed someone took the time to make videos about them.

Considered another way, there are large numbers in India who have not heard the gospel, though it has .been preached in their midst.

Our brother Henry Gruver relates that while he was visiting a Hindu temple watching them worship demons he had an urge to call upon the glory of the Lord, and he was gently rebuffed: the churches in the area weren't ready to care for newborns, and many would be lost. Timely birth is as important to the Lord, it seems, as calling souls. This is one way it was made evident to me that the Lord is so much higher than we are.
              Last edited by Baruch; October 30, 2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                "When thereīs something in the Bible that churches donīt like, they call it `legalism.ī" -Leonard Ravenhill

This seems true in principle. I would like to know what our brother had particularly in mind when he said this.

Today it seems there is a movement of no small number of people towards Judaizing doctrines, and many are caught up trusting in legalism, walking in the opposite direction of grace, or in a day-to-day zigzag to a fro.

"We talk of the Second Coming; half the world has never heard of the first." -- Oswald J. Smith

This one is a good point. There was a series of shorts on youtube of many peoples named, mostly in Asia it seemed, who had not yet (to the modern church's recollection) heard the gospel. These were small numbers in small tribes. I was impressed someone took the time to make videos about them.

Considered another way, there are large numbers in India who have not heard the gospel, though it has .been preached in their midst.

Our brother Henry Gruver relates that while he was visiting a Hindu temple watching them worship demons he had an urge to call upon the glory of the Lord, and he was gently rebuffed: the churches in the area weren't ready to care for newborns, and many would be lost. Timely birth is as important to the Lord, it seems, as calling souls. This is one way it was made evident to me that the Lord is so much higher than we are.
                Thanks for the reply Barry.

I have been to a service where Leonard Ravenhill preached and I liked his preaching.

I well remember one thing he said at that sermon:

He had refused to agree with some of the doctrine of one group that was going to ordain him. So they refused to ordain him. He said he was going overseas to preach without their ordination. The group insisted that he believe that there was some requirements to being saved other than trusting in Christ to save him. They told him that he would not be saved and could not preach with The Holy Spirit without their blessing.

So he told them that when he died they could put this sign at his grave if they dared:

Here lies Leonard Ravenhill
                ruined because he trusted in Jesus alone

I think he means that many groups don't want to agree with scripture that disputes their doctrine and when they do they will claim that following that passage is legalism.

Comment

GREAT QUOTES on THE FEAR OF GOD

"There is no sin so prevalent, so insidious, and so deep as the sin
                  of fearing people more than we fear God."
                  -Kevin DeYoung

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."
                  -Solomon

"The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you
                  fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear
                  everything else."

-Oswald Chambers

"The person who fears God seeks to live all of life to the glory of
                  God... All the activities of life should be pursued with the aim of
                  glorifying God."
                  -Jerry Bridges

"We fear men so much, because we fear God so little."
                  -William Gurnall

Comment

everything else."

-Oswald Chambers

These words by Chambers shows that he knew The Lord and The Lord gave him wisdom.

If we fear God, we have nothing else to fear. God and you are a majority against the rest of the universe. God protects His servants and causes everything that He allows to happen to them to happen for their good. Considering this, we have nothing to fear except not pleasing Him.

If a person does not fear God, then they have everything else to fear. For if they rebel against God then He is NOT their father and protector. So there is nothing that can not bring them harm and therefore they have everything to fear from everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
                      everything else."

-Oswald Chambers

These words by Chambers shows that he knew The Lord and The Lord gave him wisdom.

If we fear God, we have nothing else to fear. God and you are a majority against the rest of the universe. God protects His servants and causes everything that He allows to happen to them to happen for their good. Considering this, we have nothing to fear except not pleasing Him.

If a person does not fear God, then they have everything else to fear. For if they rebel against God then He is NOT their father and protector. So there is nothing that can not bring them harm and therefore they have everything to fear from everything.
                      Well said, Lou. Also, if one fears God then he can know in his bones that others have every reason to fear Him. Even if others in their unbelief do not fear God, they only do so in ignorance to their own destruction.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Barry.

I found this to be one of the most profound things written by a man, so I have to conclude that is was written by The Holy Spirit:

everything else."

-Oswald Chambers

Comment

There are so many good ones here, Leonard ravenhill seems intense. Someone you'd really like, or not like. Everyone has their special pet doctrine that they can't get away from. Good of Leonard to point that out. I especially liked kimberley's post. It reminds me of something I knew and forgot pertaining to athletics. It takes much effort over a lot of time to achieve the biggest goals. Why would Christ's goals for us be any different? We have to confess our inability to hold on.

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxmaloney View Post
                            There are so many good ones here, Leonard ravenhill seems intense. Someone you'd really like, or not like. Everyone has their special pet doctrine that they can't get away from. Good of Leonard to point that out. I especially liked kimberley's post. It reminds me of something I knew and forgot pertaining to athletics. It takes much effort over a lot of time to achieve the biggest goals. Why would Christ's goals for us be any different? We have to confess our inability to hold on.
                            OUR LORD's LESSON on PERSEVERANCE
                            by Kimberley Demmitt

I feel Led by Him to share His Lesson about perseverance. In
                            general, our Lord Reminds us that the Higher the Calling, the
                            longer & more arduous the preparation time, whereas the Grander
                            the Promise, the more the tenacity that is required in our
                            perseverance. *The biggest Blessings will always occur in a
                            magnitude that is directly proportional to the degree of difficulties
                            in attaining Them. *So, please,*do not quit *-- no matter how
                            long you have waited, how painful it has been, or what mistakes
                            you may have made along the way. Trust our Lord's Love enough
                            to believe that He would never allow any of His Beloved Children
                            to be cruelly deceived for endless years by a delusion -- no one
                            who sincerely seeks to know Him or His Will can ever be led
                            astray. We must*choose*to be deceived.
                            Thanks for the reply Tom. Amen, Kimberley quote caught my eye and as I read it, it brought memories of experiences I had had with the Lord to mind.

Many years ago I was going through a time so difficult it was far beyond my ability to endure. I thought I must be lost to seem so far from salvation. But every time I would ask The Lord about it, He would tell me that I was His.

One day I was driving past a Christian book store and did not notice I was doing so. All of a sudden I felt His Holy Spirit was grieved. I stopped the car and asked The Lord what I had done to grieve Him. He told me to turn around and go back the way I had came from. As I drove past the Christian book store again, He said, Go in there. I pulled in the lot and went in.

As I went through the door this little yellow book on the very back shelf seemed to jump off the shelf at me. I had had this happen before with a book that The Lord wanted me to buy. But I did not want to act on my own accord, so I asked Him about it. He told me to buy the book. I said, Lord if this is really You speaking to me, I will depend on You not allowing me to leave this store without reminding me about that book again. No matter what I looked at and thought about, He kept reminding me to buy the yellow book.

I bought it and brought it home and put it on the pile of books near my reading chair and forgot about it. Days later when I was in terrible agony over the many people shunning me from local churches, The Lord put a picture of the yellow book in my mind. I reached down in the pile and picked it up. The number 172 came into my mind, and The Lord told me to turn to that page.

Here is that page:

Come away my beloved - By Frances J Roberts

Fortitude

For this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self control, to self control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound , you will be neither barren or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
                            1 Peter 1: 5-8

Through a multitude of tests, you will learn courage. It matters not the price you pay, but at any cost you must learn strength of character and the fortitude to endure. I would build your resources until you are able to carry unusually heavy loads and withstand intense pressures.

You will become an ambassador of the Kingdom of Heaven that I can assign critical missions, confident that you are equipped to fulfill them.

It will be in vain if you anticipate resting in a comfortable place. Zion is already filled with those who are at ease. No, you will find yourself in a place of training and discipline, so when the moments of crisis come you will not become fainthearted, and you will not be the victim of unwonted fear.

Trust My instruction in all of this as you have in various past experiences. I am faithful and loving, and I am doing this so that you can meet future days and not be found wanting.

As this came to mind I thought I would never find this little book among the thousands of books I have, and if I did I would not be able to remember the page. BUT The Lord led me to the book and then told me the page number again. As I read it again I was filled with His presence again just as I was that very day.

Praise His Holy Name
                            Last edited by Lou Newton; November 6, 2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Zion is already filled with those who are at ease. Scary as well as truthful .

Comment

Working...
                              X