"If your faith can't be tested, it can't be trusted."

- Anonymous

"As a Christian, I am responsible for the furniture of my mind."

- Frank E. Gaebelein

"Holiness is an impossiblity - without the Holy Spirit."

- Anonymous

"Live in Christ and the flesh need not fear death." - John Knox

"Grace in the soul is heaven in that soul." - Matthew Henry

If your faith can't be tested, then it can't be trusted. How scary and yet true at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxmaloney View Post
      If your faith can't be tested, then it can't be trusted. How scary and yet true at the same time.
      Men are trained to build bridges and they are required to have certificates that say they have the ability to build them. BUT the Firth of Fourth bridge in Scotland fell ,while a train full of people was crossing it ,and many died: the Tacoma Narrows very large suspension bridge collapsed in 1940; The Silver bridge collapsed over the Ohio river and many died, and not long ago the Interstate 35 bridge over the Mississippi in Minneapolis collapsed during rush hour and many died. But hundreds of bridges have failed.

These bridges were built by men who had certificates that certified they had the ability to build them. They were tested before being opened to the public. They were inspected at a regular basis. BUT when tested by being used over the years they failed and many died. Man can never be sure of his ability, no matter how careful he is.

Now do you want to cross a bridge that has not even been tested at all ? Only your temporary natural life depends on a bridge. Your eternal life depends on your faith in Jesus. Do you want to find out that your faith will fail over time ? Or do you want God to test your faith and have Him make any repairs to your faith that are needed ? We can trust The Lord Jesus, but can we trust in our faith to trust Him ?

Yes Jesus is totally trustworthy. But we have to trust Him to save us, and we are not trustworthy to do so. We have to trust Jesus to test our faith and reveal where we are not trusting Him. If we confess our sin ( lack of faith) He will forgive us AND cleanse us of our lack of faith.

What is sin ?

Romans 3:23 (NIV)

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Sin is falling short of the glory of God. Do we do anything, or say anything, or think any thought, that does not fall short of the glory of God ?

1 John 1

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

How can we be sure that we have confessed every sin so we will be forgiven ?

There is only one way that I can see. That is to confess that everything we do, say and think is sin. Then we are forgiven of all of our sin.
      Last edited by Lou Newton; September 22, 2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Men are trained to build bridges and they are required to have certificates that say they have the ability to build them. BUT the Firth of Fourth bridge in Scotland fell ,while a train full of people was crossing it ,and many died: the Tacoma Narrows very large suspension bridge collapsed in 1940; The Silver bridge collapsed over the Ohio river and many died, and not long ago the Interstate 35 bridge over the Mississippi in Minneapolis collapsed during rush hour and many died. But hundreds of bridges have failed.

These bridges were built by men who had certificates that certified they had the ability to build them. They were tested before being opened to the public. They were inspected at a regular basis. BUT when tested by being used over the years they failed and many died. Man can never be sure of his ability, no matter how careful he is.

Now do you want to cross a bridge that has not even been tested at all ? Only your temporary natural life depends on a bridge. Your eternal life depends on your faith in Jesus. Do you want to find out that your faith will fail over time ? Or do you want God to test your faith and have Him make any repairs to your faith that are needed ? We can trust The Lord Jesus, but can we trust in our faith to trust Him ?

Yes Jesus is totally trustworthy. But we have to trust Him to save us, and we are not trustworthy to do so. We have to trust Jesus to test our faith and reveal where we are not trusting Him. If we confess our sin ( lack of faith) He will forgive us AND cleanse us of our lack of faith.

What is sin ?

Romans 3:23 (NIV)

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Sin is falling short of the glory of God. Do we do anything, or say anything, or think any thought, that does not fall short of the glory of God ?

1 John 1

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

How can we be sure that we have confessed every sin so we will be forgiven ?

There is only one way that I can see. That is to confess that everything we do, say and think is sin. Then we are forgiven of all of our sin.
        Reminds me of something that happened this week. I was driving on a small, snowy street in a poor section of Warren. I glanced down to get a sandwich, and instantly I was going off the side of the street. My only words about 6 or 7 times were help me Jesus, help me Jesus..... almost turned off the other side of the road before I corrected it with Jesus's help. I was so angry at myself for not being more careful, since I was risking my daughter and my wife's well being with mine just for a sandwich. But, I was elated that that simple prayer came flowing out quickly without any thought.

Comment

Working...
        X