the mount."

- John Newton

"After grief for sin there should be joy for forgiveness."

- A. W. Pink

"Joy has nothing to do with material things, or with a man's outward

circumstance ... a man living in the lap of luxury can be wretched,

and a man in the depths of poverty can overflow with joy."

- William Barclay

I have found the above to be very true in my life.

In fact I think I have had more joy when poor. I am not distracted by material things but tend to seek and focus on Jesus.

What do you think ?

Comment

I think joy definitely comes from God. Joy is s result of gratitude. I have been very broke and poor. And I have been doing well and had what I would consider an abundance of everything important to me (my riches). But to be content and filled with joy comes from satisfaction. Being satisfied with what I have currently is a choice that I make. ...... Most of the time. Sometimes I blow it and lose my joy. But God is the only One Who can bring about joy in the midst of the complete opposite circumstances. It's harder to find joy and exist off of it by the grace of God. It's easier to feed into the anger and let it build into hatred to get power from it and the bitterness. That's what most people do. I choose to feed off of the love of Jesus.

Comment

The quotes of Elisabeth Elliot and Walter J. Chantry understand joy as loosing ones life for Christ's sake.
        This is how we must respond when the Lord Jesus calls us to follow Him.
        Not only must we be forgiven in Christ (Pink) but lost to this world in Christ to know joy.
        Such joy is not being poor, it is being consumed by my Master.
        It is as if the Master picks up a stick of chalk and rubs it over and over on the blackboard until the blackness is covered with white.
        The chalk is no longer a stick but has become in the Master's hand a thin layer of white covering the blackness.
        The chalk didn't do a thing.
        The work was done by the Master.
        Joy is being in the hand of the Master while being transformed from something I was to whatever the Master does with me.

Comment

Amen to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
            I think joy definitely comes from God. Joy is s result of gratitude. I have been very broke and poor. And I have been doing well and had what I would consider an abundance of everything important to me (my riches). But to be content and filled with joy comes from satisfaction. Being satisfied with what I have currently is a choice that I make. ...... Most of the time. Sometimes I blow it and lose my joy. But God is the only One Who can bring about joy in the midst of the complete opposite circumstances. It's harder to find joy and exist off of it by the grace of God. It's easier to feed into the anger and let it build into hatred to get power from it and the bitterness. That's what most people do. I choose to feed off of the love of Jesus.
            ----------------
            Steve, I appreciate you observations.
            You wrote: "It's easier to feed into the anger and let it build into hatred to get power from it and the bitterness. That's what most people do."

It is what most people do because they are powerless. The anger arises because there is insufficient power. Kings in an absolute monarchy are addressed as "your grace" for a very practical reason. They have complete power - life and death power. It is such powerful kings who can show mercy and deliver grace without diminishing their power. Grace put in the simplest terms is undeserved favor. The only way to dispense grace is if you have resources.

If you are the companion of one who has promised to save you and who has unlimited power and resources there is no need to be angry.
            You wrote; "It's harder to find joy and exist off of it by the grace of God." This is true for the citizens of the world but not for citizens of the kingdom of God. There is victory in Christ.

We ought to arise every morning to the awareness that we are hand in hand with Christ as we go walking in the world victoriously through the camp of the enemy. You are certainly right in saying "joy comes from the Lord" but I think it is because we know we are with Him who not only has the upper hand but He Who is victorious.

King David in the 23rd Psalm wrote down his own version of my victory march. Only he was very brazen about who had the upper hand.
            "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies" - a feast in the enemy camp. Wow!
            Why should we ever get angry? It is the enemy camp that we trample upon and any battle they win is a temporary win.

Comment

Working...
            X