"Prayer is my chief work, and it is by means of it that I carry on

the rest." - Thomas Hooker, Puritan

"We think of prayer as a preparation for work, or a calm after

having done work, whereas prayer is the essential work. It is the

supreme activity of everything that is noblest in our personality."

- Oswald Chambers

Thanks Lou.

Comment

Bibles read without prayer; sermons heard without prayer; marriages contracted without prayer; journeys undertaken without prayer; residences chosen without prayer; friendships formed without prayer; the daily act of prayer itself hurried over, or gone through without heart: these are the kind of downward steps by which many a Christian descends to a condition of spiritual palsy, or reaches the point where God allows them to have a tremendous fall.
      ... J. C. Ryle (1816-1900), "A Call to Prayer"

Powerfully worded prayers must be composed in the absolute certainty by the one offering the prayer that God is listening intently to every word and to every inflection, and God is examining the petitioner’s heart and attitude.
      28 January 2005 the old scribe

Prayer enlarges our capacity to know God.
      16 December 2017 the old scribe

You can read all the manuals on prayer and listen to other people pray, but until you begin to pray yourself you will never understand prayer. It's like riding a bicycle or swimming: You learn by doing.
      .. Evangelist Luis Palau (b.1934)

We must alter our lives in order to alter our hearts, for it is impossible to live one way and pray another. ... William Law (1686-1761)

Comment

My prayer today is that I would become a better prayer warrior.
        I wish to be more prayerful and more intent on my words in order that I might please my Father in heaven. Currently my prayers are rough and I fumble the words. I pray for mercy and Grace and peace with my prayers. I wish to be like you are or Lou is, or Barry, so eloquent and well spoken when praying. Blessings.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
          Bibles read without prayer; sermons heard without prayer; marriages contracted without prayer; journeys undertaken without prayer; residences chosen without prayer; friendships formed without prayer; the daily act of prayer itself hurried over, or gone through without heart: these are the kind of downward steps by which many a Christian descends to a condition of spiritual palsy, or reaches the point where God allows them to have a tremendous fall.
          ... J. C. Ryle (1816-1900), "A Call to Prayer"

Powerfully worded prayers must be composed in the absolute certainty by the one offering the prayer that God is listening intently to every word and to every inflection, and God is examining the petitioner’s heart and attitude.
          28 January 2005 the old scribe

Prayer enlarges our capacity to know God.
          16 December 2017 the old scribe

You can read all the manuals on prayer and listen to other people pray, but until you begin to pray yourself you will never understand prayer. It's like riding a bicycle or swimming: You learn by doing.
          .. Evangelist Luis Palau (b.1934)

We must alter our lives in order to alter our hearts, for it is impossible to live one way and pray another. ... William Law (1686-1761)
          Thanks Glen.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
            I wish to be more prayerful and more intent on my words in order that I might please my Father in heaven. Currently my prayers are rough and I fumble the words. I pray for mercy and Grace and peace with my prayers. I wish to be like you are or Lou is, or Barry, so eloquent and well spoken when praying. Blessings.
            Hi Steve, The Lord does not judge us by the eloquence of our words, but He judges us by the humbleness of our heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Hi Steve, The Lord does not judge us by the eloquence of our words, but He judges us by the humbleness of our heart.
              I know Lou, thanks for the reassurance brother. I am always hard on myself. I hope my prayers are earnest and humble hearted. I hope I remain willing to be made willing to be humble. Nobody is automatically. We all need the Lord to transform us.

Comment

It's obvious that writing and prayer are, for me, very different activities. I'm a fair writer, but I have difficulty with any kind of prayer in the moment. When I read the Psalms they blow me away; these are my goal, and it seems for good reason the apostle exhorts us to speak to each other in psalms and hymns: they provide a vocabulary suitable for prayer, and with them we can pray of one accord.

If you're so inclined, the following sermon offers a meaty discussion of prayer, with plenty of biblical and practical observations. It's easy to get overwhelmed by a teaching. There is a lot to digest here. But the Lord provides for us in all circumstances, even when we don't know what to pray or how.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones Sermon - The Mystery of Prayer
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13v_WV5Bpjk

Comment

I know Lou, thanks for the reassurance brother. I am always hard on myself. I hope my prayers are earnest and humble hearted. I hope I remain willing to be made willing to be humble. Nobody is automatically. We all need the Lord to transform us.
                  I am amazed sometimes by how a person as arrogant as I am can be so hard on myself at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                    It's obvious that writing and prayer are, for me, very different activities. I'm a fair writer, but I have difficulty with any kind of prayer in the moment. When I read the Psalms they blow me away; these are my goal, and it seems for good reason the apostle exhorts us to speak to each other in psalms and hymns: they provide a vocabulary suitable for prayer, and with them we can pray of one accord.

If you're so inclined, the following sermon offers a meaty discussion of prayer, with plenty of biblical and practical observations. It's easy to get overwhelmed by a teaching. There is a lot to digest here. But the Lord provides for us in all circumstances, even when we don't know what to pray or how.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones Sermon - The Mystery of Prayer
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13v_WV5Bpjk

Thanks Barry.

Comment

Brother Steve,
                      I understand what is implied by “prayer warrior.” In some sense all prayer is a war. One kind of conflict is between our old man and the creation we are becoming. The following quote expresses this notion.

The purifying worth of prayer consists in the increasing contrast which it sets up between the holy God and the creature; subordinating that creature’s fugitive activities and desires to the standard set by this solemn apprehension of Reality.
                      ... Evelyn Underhill (1875-1941)

Another idea of “prayer warrior” is intercession for unbelievers.

Others present additional notions of “prayer warrior” which seem extreme.

Steve, you also wrote, “I wish to be more prayerful and more intent on my words in order that I might please my Father in heaven. Currently my prayers are rough and I fumble the words.” The following quote expresses what is really important.

It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart. Robert R?

I pray elaborately. My words come from the explosion of God within me. Knowing God and His words recorded in the Bible causes my prayers. I always cry – even in public. However, in some public prayer I must pray with restraint - as in expressing gratitude for the gift of the table or for a benediction. There are social norms where I attempt not to offend. Care must be taken that ones prayer does not intimidate others into not praying.

Fumble for as many words and as many times as it takes. Using the Lord’s Prayer as a guide helps. Pray each thought of the Lord’s Prayer, then elaborate upon it with all the knowledge you have and the intersession for yourself and others. After following this prayer exercise for a while one will find fifteen minutes to be a short prayer.

Once, following just such a scheme lead me to pray the following.

I cannot pray "OUR," if
                      my faith has no room for others and their need and if I do not serve others.

I cannot pray "FATHER," if
                      I do not honor this relationship to God in my daily living.

I cannot pray "WHO ART IN HEAVEN," if
                      all of my interests and pursuits are in earthly things.

I cannot pray "HALLOWED BE THY NAME," if
                      I do not believe that God's holiness in me will make me holy.

I cannot pray "THY KINGDOM COME," if
                      I am unwilling to submit to God's rule in my life.

I cannot pray "THY WILL BE DONE," if
                      I am unwilling or resentful of His will controlling my life.

I cannot pray "IN EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN," unless
                      I am truly ready to give myself to God's service here and now.

I cannot pray "GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD," unless
                      I am willing to be made broken bread
                      and poured-out wine for others in Christ Jesus.

I cannot pray "AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES
                      AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US," if
                      I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.

I cannot pray "AND LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION," if
                      I deliberately choose to remain in a situation
                      where I am likely to be tempted.

I cannot pray "BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL," if
                      I am not prepared to fight with my life and my prayer.

I cannot pray "FOR THINE IS THE KINGDOM," if
                      I am unwilling to obey the King.

I cannot pray "AND THINE IS THE POWER AND THE GLORY," if
                      I am seeking power and glory for myself.

I cannot pray "FOREVER AND EVER," if
                      I am anxious about each day's affairs.

I cannot pray "AMEN," unless
                      I honestly say not my will, but
                      "THY WILL BE DONE." So let it be.

13 May 2003 the old scribe

The New Testament biblical examples have prayers addressed to "Our Father."
                      The couple exceptions are by those who see the Lord Jesus as when Steven was stoned or when the Apostle John was having a vision of the Lord Jesus in the Book of Revelation.
                      Last edited by glen smith; December 18, 2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I often pray in tears and I find myself brought to tears when testifying as well. I can't help but weep insessantly when I reflect on or speak about the Lord's workings in my life or what He has done. And that's what I know about. There is so much more I don't know about that He has done. I suppose I cry because I am guilty as charged. Christ, my only hope.

Comment

I often pray in tears and I find myself brought to tears when testifying as well. I can't help but weep insessantly when I reflect on or speak about the Lord's workings in my life or what He has done. And that's what I know about. There is so much more I don't know about that He has done. I suppose I cry because I am guilty as charged. Christ, my only hope.
                          More specifically, intense emotions stem from communication with the Lord.
                          His awesome nature, when sensed spiritually is overwhelming.
                          We may talk, think, or read about the divine nature, but this is knowledge rather than relationship.

When we make the opportunity to refresh the direct acquaintance with the divine nature, we enter His Holy Presence.
                          There, in His Holy Presence, the mere sinful creature experiences the new creation.
                          The acquaintance with the Lord may be recognized in prayer, service, testifying, preaching, Bible study, or any experience dedicated to the Lord - even eating.
                          What does this feel like?

We might call it joy or our unworthiness in His Presence or any number of descriptive emotions between these two.
                          I suspect the correct emotion is experiencing glorification.
                          Because there is not a corresponding experience in the material world we do not recognize the experience for what it is,
                          nor do we have a metaphor for it.
                          I suspect it is just a moment’s taste of eternity – glorified in Christ our Lord.
                          Mortal flesh ought to cry.
                          Is there a better vacation destination on this planet?
                          When I retire from this mortal flesh, my hope resides in that eternal vacation home in Christ.
                          It must feel like glorification!
                          Last edited by glen smith; December 18, 2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X