• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God's remnant

"GOD's REMNANT"

by David Wilkerson

The prophet Elijah had become so disheartened by the moral landslide his

nation was experiencing that he ran from the threats of Jezebel, the

wicked wife of King Ahab, and hid in a cave.

"Elijah, why are you hiding?" God inquired of him.

"Because your people have forsaken your word, your altars are broken down,

your ministers have been persecuted, and everyone is pursuing pleasure.

I'm the only one left -- and now they're coming for me, too" (see 1 Kings

19:10).

To all outward appearances, Elijah had a good argument. His society was

nearing collapse and the government was the most wicked and vile in all of

history. "Ahab did more to provoke the Lord God of Israel to anger than

all the kings of Israel who were before him" (1 Kings 16:33). Furthermore,

Jezebel, the most wicked queen ever to share the throne, was bent on

killing every follower of Jehovah.

Elijah was determined to "hold out to the end" and stay true to God all by

himself, but he did not know that at that very moment, the Holy Spirit was

moving throughout the land. A great moral awakening was about to happen

and God would soon throw Jezebel to the dogs and overthrow the wicked

rulers. God emphatically told Elijah that not only was he not alone, there

were seven thousand in Israel who had not given in to the corruption

around them. God was telling Elijah that he had people stationed in key

positions, believers standing tall and true!

The same is true today. Whereas God said to Elijah, "Thousands have not

bowed," he is saying to us today, "Millions have not bowed!" Glory be to

God. We are not a tiny remnant, but a mighty army, unbending and

uncompromising in an age gone crazy. Satan would have God's people believe

their numbers are dwindling, but don't believe his lies. God is still at

work, pouring out his Holy Spirit and drawing hungry hearts to himself.

There is no human condition so bleak and hopeless that God will not meet

us and give us hope.

YES! The Church is the remnant and the body of Christ.
    Very glad to read this quote from David Wilkerson since he severely criticizes the institutional church.

Just as Elijah was unaware of the seven thousand so we are unaware of the remnant believers today in the millions.
    The seven thousand is a symbolic number and not primarily the literal number seven. In Modern English the Hebrew idea of seven means 100%. There may have been more or less than seven thousand who had not worshiped idols. The point is that there is a 100% of the remnant who have not worshiped idols. The remnant is always a 100% of the the true believers. It is called the Church.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
      YES! The Church is the remnant and the body of Christ.
      Very glad to read this quote from David Wilkerson since he severely criticizes the institutional church.

Just as Elijah was unaware of the seven thousand so we are unaware of the remnant believers today in the millions.
      The seven thousand is a symbolic number and not primarily the literal number seven. In Modern English the Hebrew idea of seven means 100%. There may have been more or less than seven thousand who had not worshiped idols. The point is that there is a 100% of the remnant who have not worshiped idols. The remnant is always a 100% of the the true believers. It is called the Church.
      True, but many more claim to be part of the body of Christ, but are not.

There was a "church" in Israel when Jesus lived. Most of the leaders of that church fought to have Jesus crucified.

Few in Israel recognized who Jesus was and is. As Solomon says, nothing ever changes. If Jesus appeared today the same way He appeared back then, He would be rejected by most of those who claim to be Christians.

There is One and only One who knows who is part of His Body. That is The Judge, The Lord Jesus Christ.

Comment

I understand you have a different opinion of the age of the Church than I do.
        Without restating your idea of the age of the church how do you come to claim those Jewish leaders responsible for the crucifixion were members of the church?

Claiming to be Christian or being on the membership role of a particular church does not qualify as being the Church of the Lord Jesus any more than being Jewish made a Jew during Jesus’ Incarnation a spiritual child of Abraham.

Just as with spiritual Israel the Church of the Lord Jesus is a remnant of those claiming Christianity.

I refer you to my post “CHURCH - What is the Church?” under “Word Studies.”
        It is there where the meaning of the Greek word for Church in the New Testament is presented, and how I believe the remnant ought to use the English word “church” unless qualifying it specifically as the institutional church and not the remnant. Otherwise, how does one know who it is that is being lambasted or praised?

Comment

I understand you have a different opinion of the age of the Church than I do.
          Without restating your idea of the age of the church how do you come to claim those Jewish leaders responsible for the crucifixion were members of the church?

Claiming to be Christian or being on the membership role of a particular church does not qualify as being the Church of the Lord Jesus any more than being Jewish made a Jew during Jesus’ Incarnation a spiritual child of Abraham.

Just as with spiritual Israel the Church of the Lord Jesus is a remnant of those claiming Christianity.

I refer you to my post “CHURCH - What is the Church?” under “Word Studies.”
          It is there where the meaning of the Greek word for Church in the New Testament is presented, and how I believe the remnant ought to use the English word “church” unless qualifying it specifically as the institutional church and not the remnant. Otherwise, how does one know who it is that is being lambasted or praised?
          The Holy Scriptures tell us that Abraham is the father of our faith. If Abraham was the father of our faith, he had to be part of The Lord's body. The leaders of the church of Israel, when Jesus walked the earth, claimed to have the same faith as Abraham. They were not leaders of the true church at all, but were following Satan, as Jesus told them they were doing. Jesus told them Satan was their father.

John 8
          42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me.43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”

They proved Jesus was correct by having Jesus murdered.

The same is true today. There are many who claim to follow Jesus. But many do not follow Jesus at all, but are false Christians, just as the pharisees were false leaders of the church they claimed to lead.

Jesus told us how we can tell the true Christians:

John 13
          34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

When I go into a church that claims to follow Jesus and they act with hate toward me for one reason or another, I do not judge them, but leave because of these words from Jesus. They are not acting like the disciples of Jesus, so why would I walk with them.

I do not judge if they are true Christians or not, but only judge that they are not acting like true followers of Jesus at that time, and leave.

Jesus is the one and only Judge. I only try to follow His Holy Spirit in my walk. I have His Book to test my walk with Him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
            The Holy Scriptures tell us that Abraham is the father of our faith. If Abraham was the father of our faith, he had to be part of The Lord's body. The leaders of the church of Israel, when Jesus walked the earth, claimed to have the same faith as Abraham. They were not leaders of the true church at all, but were following Satan, as Jesus told them they were doing. Jesus told them Satan was their father.
            Thank you for the above opinion. The rest of your post did not need your going to the effort of stating again your position since I have read it several times as I suspect those on this forum have.

Lou is stating that the leaders of Judah during the Incarnation of Christ belong to the "church of Israel."

To be fair to Lou's opinion, church ought to be translated as used in the Greek Septuagint as the "called out ones."
            As used in the Greek Septuagint, Israel in fact was the Lord's called out people from among the nations just as in the New Testament the Christians are the "called out ones" from among the nations or gentiles.
            However, the Old Testament also makes it clear that only a remnant of Israel were the "called out ones."
            All Israel or all Jews were never included in those responding to become the "called out ones." Just as the Apostle Paul stated not all Israelis truly belong to Israel (Romans 9:6 ISV).

I do not see how the leaders of Judah responsible for the crucifixion could ever be labeled the "called out ones" even if they claimed to be the descendants of Abraham because the Lord Jesus makes it clear if they were his descendants they would be doing what Abraham did (Matthew 3:9; Luke 3:8; John 8:39).

Of course, the “called out ones” or the Church did do what Abraham did in being representative of the spiritual meaning of being Abraham’s descendants.

Comment

Thank you for the above opinion. The rest of your post did not need your going to the effort of stating again your position since I have read it several times as I suspect those on this forum have.

Lou is stating that the leaders of Judah during the Incarnation of Christ belong to the "church of Israel."

To be fair to Lou's opinion, church ought to be translated as used in the Greek Septuagint as the "called out ones."
              As used in the Greek Septuagint, Israel in fact was the Lord's called out people from among the nations just as in the New Testament the Christians are the "called out ones" from among the nations or gentiles.
              However, the Old Testament also makes it clear that only a remnant of Israel were the "called out ones."
              All Israel or all Jews were never included in those responding to become the "called out ones." Just as the Apostle Paul stated not all Israelis truly belong to Israel (Romans 9:6 ISV).

I do not see how the leaders of Judah responsible for the crucifixion could ever be labeled the "called out ones" even if they claimed to be the descendants of Abraham because the Lord Jesus makes it clear if they were his descendants they would be doing what Abraham did (Matthew 3:9; Luke 3:8; John 8:39).

Of course, the “called out ones” or the Church did do what Abraham did in being representative of the spiritual meaning of being Abraham’s descendants.
              Hi Glen, I never stated that the pharisees were the called out ones, but that they claimed to be the ones called by God. But I agree with this post that I quoted of yours.

Comment

Hi Glen, most of the people of the days Jesus walked the earth thought the pharisees were certainly the leaders of the "called out ones", or else how could they hold the positions they held. They certainly had the authority of men and arrested God Almighty Himself with that authority.

Jesus gave a man sight that was born blind, and these leaders threw that man out of the "church" of their day. They exercised the authority from men, but not from God. Most of the people of Israel and also Rome recognized these men as the leaders of the church of Israel. After all, The Roman Governor did not refuse to see them and request to see Jesus or the disciples instead as the leaders of the true "called out ones".

You imply most of my post as not necessary, but many things are taught on almost every page of scripture over and over again. God does not do anything that is not important.

The natural is a sign of the spiritual and this is taught to us over and over in scripture:

In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
                5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
                like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
                6 It rises at one end of the heavens
                and makes its circuit to the other;
                nothing is deprived of its warmth.

The sun is a natural type of Christ. It holds our world together and everything in our world orbits around it. It is our only source of light, warmth and life. The moon follows the sun everywhere it goes. The moon reflects the light of the sun to the world. It is a natural type of the church. We should take notice that there are two sides to the moon. One side is focused on the world and the world only sees that side of the moon. The world never sees the other side of the moon, and that side is not focused on the world, but is focused on the sun.

The side facing the earth is a natural type of the "church" that the world sees and recognizes as the church, but it is not the true body of Christ. The other side of the moon is not seen by the world at all, but is hidden from their sight.

When the pharisees had Jesus crucified, where were the people who rioted because their God had been murdered. No, instead they followed the request of the pharisees and called for the crucifixion of Jesus. When the pharisees killed James, did the people riot because their leader had been killed ? No instead the true leaders of the true church hid behind locked doors in fear of the pharisees.

As Solomon tells us, nothing ever changes. What has been will always be here on the earth. God Almighty was born of a woman and the men He created did not recognize who He was and is. Nothing has changed. The world still does not recognize Him.

Men build idols in their minds and their doctrines and then call that idol, Jesus, like that will turn their idol into the Truth, or the true Jesus. Just as men used to build idols out of wood and stone and call them God. BUT calling them God, did not turn them into the true God.

The Lord Jesus is going to reveal Himself to the whole world some day and everyone will bow their knee and confess that He is Lord of all. But until that day God will remain hidden to most because they do not seek the truth, but instead seek to be justified in their doctrines and beliefs.

Isaac was true Israel and Ishmael was not. But still today the world does not recognize Ishmael as a false church. Even the Pope, who is widely recognized as the leader of the church, proclaimed Ishmael (Islam) as a true Church of God. Does the world recognize most of the Jews as an type of Antichrist ? The world recognizes all religions as legitimate. The world does not proclaim, all but true followers of Christ, as a way to destruction. In fact the world proclaims that truth as prejudice and injustice.

Matthew 16 ( I do not find the repeating of any passage of scripture boring, and I hope some others do not)

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

We see that Jesus told Peter and us, that the true Jesus is NOT revealed by any man or group of men. Only God can reveal the true Jesus to anyone. This revelation from God is the rock that Jesus builds His Church on. The true Jesus remains hidden to the world until the day of His return. Just as the true body of Christ remains hidden to the world until the return of Jesus.

On that day Jesus and His true Church will be revealed to everyone:

Rev 3
                9I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Until that day we remain hidden to the world.
                Last edited by Lou Newton; December 23, 2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

"Until that day we remain hidden to the world."

That will be a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Hi Glen, most of the people of the days Jesus walked the earth thought the pharisees were certainly the leaders of the "called out ones", or else how could they hold the positions they held. They certainly had the authority of men and arrested God Almighty Himself with that authority.

Jesus gave a man sight that was born blind, and these leaders threw that man out of the "church" of their day. They exercised the authority from men, but not from God. Most of the people of Israel and also Rome recognized these men as the leaders of the church of Israel. After all, The Roman Governor did not refuse to see them and request to see Jesus or the disciples instead as the leaders of the true "called out ones".

You imply most of my post as not necessary, but many things are taught on almost every page of scripture over and over again. God does not do anything that is not important.

The natural is a sign of the spiritual and this is taught to us over and over in scripture:

In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
                    5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
                    like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
                    6 It rises at one end of the heavens
                    and makes its circuit to the other;
                    nothing is deprived of its warmth.

The sun is a natural type of Christ. It holds our world together and everything in our world orbits around it. It is our only source of light, warmth and life. The moon follows the sun everywhere it goes. The moon reflects the light of the sun to the world. It is a natural type of the church. We should take notice that there are two sides to the moon. One side is focused on the world and the world only sees that side of the moon. The world never sees the other side of the moon, and that side is not focused on the world, but is focused on the sun.

The side facing the earth is a natural type of the "church" that the world sees and recognizes as the church, but it is not the true body of Christ. The other side of the moon is not seen by the world at all, but is hidden from their sight.

When the pharisees had Jesus crucified, where were the people who rioted because their God had been murdered. No, instead they followed the request of the pharisees and called for the crucifixion of Jesus. When the pharisees killed James, did the people riot because their leader had been killed ? No instead the true leaders of the true church hid behind locked doors in fear of the pharisees.

As Solomon tells us, nothing ever changes. What has been will always be here on the earth. God Almighty was born of a woman and the men He created did not recognize who He was and is. Nothing has changed. The world still does not recognize Him.

Men build idols in their minds and their doctrines and then call that idol, Jesus, like that will turn their idol into the Truth, or the true Jesus. Just as men used to build idols out of wood and stone and call them God. BUT calling them God, did not turn them into the true God.

The Lord Jesus is going to reveal Himself to the whole world some day and everyone will bow their knee and confess that He is Lord of all. But until that day God will remain hidden to most because they do not seek the truth, but instead seek to be justified in their doctrines and beliefs.

Isaac was true Israel and Ishmael was not. But still today the world does not recognize Ishmael as a false church. Even the Pope, who is widely recognized as the leader of the church, proclaimed Ishmael (Islam) as a true Church of God. Does the world recognize most of the Jews as an type of Antichrist ? The world recognizes all religions as legitimate. The world does not proclaim, all but true followers of Christ, as a way to destruction. In fact the world proclaims that truth as prejudice and injustice.

Matthew 16 ( I do not find the repeating of any passage of scripture boring, and I hope some others do not)

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

We see that Jesus told Peter and us, that the true Jesus is NOT revealed by any man or group of men. Only God can reveal the true Jesus to anyone. This revelation from God is the rock that Jesus builds His Church on. The true Jesus remains hidden to the world until the day of His return. Just as the true body of Christ remains hidden to the world until the return of Jesus.

On that day Jesus and His true Church will be revealed to everyone:

Rev 3
                    9I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Until that day we remain hidden to the world.
                    I haven't any interest in rehashing the above and coming to the same stalemate as previously. But about who were the instigators for the crucifixion I would like to clarify. Without any doubt there must have been some Pharisees. However, the instigators were the Great Sanhedrin. This was the only ruling Jewish body with any political clout with the Romans or King Herod.

One of the earliest records of a Sanhedrin is by Josephus who wrote of a political Sanhedrin convened by the Romans in 57 B.C. Hellenistic sources generally depict the Sanhedrin as a political and judicial council headed by the country’s ruler. The majority of the members of the Great Sanhedrin were Sadducees as was the High Priest. Pharisees made up a small minority of the Great Sanhedrin membership. It is the Great Sanhedrin which instigated the Roman authority to crucify the Lord Jesus.

Pharisee literally means the “separated ones” in that they separated themselves from Roman and Hellenistic influences. They greatly increased the oral teachings for the purpose of constructing legal barriers to these influences. These legal barriers are why the Lord Jesus criticized them. The Pharisee numbered only about 6000 in New Testament times and had a tremendous influence as teachers of the young boys in Jewish synagogues.

As the “separated ones” their pious actions contrasted with the “elected by the Lord” who were the “called out ones by the Lord.” This is a contrast of the action by the Pharisees separating themselves compared to the believers who are being called out of a world of sin by the Lord.
                    Last edited by glen smith; December 24, 2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Glen we are both well aware that it was the Pharisees AND the Sadducees that opposed Jesus. The Sadducees did not believe in life after natural death, that is why they were Sad- you- see.

Jesus also sometimes only addressed the Pharisees:
                      Matthew 23New International Version (NIV)

A Warning Against Hypocrisy

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees

13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. [14] [b]

15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

16 “Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ 17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ 19 You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it.22 And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

25 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

29 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous.30 And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’31 So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Go ahead, then, and completewhat your ancestors started!

33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? 34 Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.38 Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’[c]

Comment

These legal barriers are why the Lord Jesus criticized them - the Pharisees

Comment

Working...
                        X