Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is prayer just a symbol or is it real communion with The Lord ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is prayer just a symbol or is it real communion with The Lord ?

Glen B Smith
    To:Lou Newton

Aug 31 at 11:44 PM

Prayer is just a symbol.

What?

Suppose prayers are not really communications with the Lord and are just symbols of the work of Christ in restoring believers to an acceptable status to the Lord. Why suppose such a scenario? It is to illustrate issues with Protestant doctrines concerning the Eucharist and Baptism as ordinances or symbols rather than sacraments. A sacrament imparts divine grace while an ordinance just symbolizes some aspect of salvation.

The Eucharist as a symbol represents the death of the body and shed blood of the Lord Jesus received by the believer for the substitution of their own death. Baptism as a symbol demonstrates the cleansing of believers from sin through identification with the Lord Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection. This symbolic view of the Eucharist and Baptism relieves these New Testament practices of providing any divine grace to the redeemed. Just to symbolize the work of Christ, is that the intent of these New Testament commandments?

31 August 2019 the old scribe
    Hi Glen,

The is easy to answer for me:

Prayer is certainly NOT just a symbol or religious ceremony. Prayer is communion with The Lord Jesus. He walks with me and He talks with me during our communion. Jesus tells me secrets about His Kingdom during this time. He answers questions that I have about His nature. Jesus answers questions in a miraculous way that He proves He is talking with me. I know Him better than I knew my earthly father.

Communion is not a ceremony or symbol either. It is called communion for a reason. Communion with The Lord Jesus talks place as I even approach the bread and and wine. In 43 years I do not remember taking Communion that I was not driven to my knees in tears as I remembered His death for me. It is the very deepest communion with the Lord Jesus that takes place.

To say that Baptism is only a symbol is the very most ignorant statement. There is One and Only One Baptism that matters. That is the baptism in His Holy Spirit. No one will enter heaven unless they have been baptized in His Holy Spirit. They do not have to know they have been baptized in His Holy Spirit, but they have to be baptized in His Holy Spirit.

John 3 (NIV)

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus

3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘Youmust be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

Our parents of flesh give birth to our flesh, BUT His Holy Spirit gives birth to our spirit and we are born again. No one will enter His Kingdom unless they are born of His Holy Spirit.

When I was baptized in His Holy Spirit 43 years ago, I did not know what had happened to me. It was several years before I understood what had taken place. But I had been baptized in His Holy Spirit and had been born again.

Working...
X