• Show
Clear All

• The meaning of the Sermon on the Mount

What does Matthew 5:1, 5:3-12 mean ?

Lou Newton, former Steel Mill Crane Designer and Physics Teacher

Matthew 5

“ New International Version

Introduction to the Sermon on the Mount

5 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

The Beatitudes

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
    6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
    7 Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
    8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
    9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
    10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. “

The Most Wonderful being that exists is Christ. The Highest name of God is Jesus:

Philippians 2

“ New International Version

Imitating Christ’s Humility

2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
    7 rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father. “

The Name of Jesus is above every Name. That would include every other Name of God. Jesus is the Highest Name of God because Jesus revealed the Highest nature of God. Jesus did not come in power and authority, but He came in humility and was our Servant.

He wants to share with us the pleasure He has of being like Him. When we are humble and serve others we than have this same pleasure. We become like Christ when we act like He did.

Philippians 3

AMP
    And this, so that I may know Him [experientially, becoming more thoroughly acquainted with Him, understanding the remarkable wonders of His Person more completely] and [in that same way experience] the power of His resurrection [which overflows and is active in believers], and [that I may share] the fellowship of His sufferings, by being continually conformed [inwardly into His likeness even] to His death [dying as He did];

When I suffer like Jesus did, I then have this revelation and say, “Lord is that what is was like to be you ? “ I come to know Him more. I feel close to Him and feel touched by Him. There is no greater blessing than being touched by Jesus.

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    - Jesus was poor in Spirit by His choice and we become like Him, and come to know Him, when we are poor in spirit. Jesus was not rich in earthly things. He had one garment and He did not even own, and had to borrow ,a donkey to ride into Jerusalem.

4 Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
    -Jesus mourned in the garden and mourned much more when The Holy Spirit of God left Him on the cross to die, and Jesus said, And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" - when we suffer and feel that God has forsaken us we mourn like Jesus did. But then Jesus was raised from the dead and he walked in great joy.

Paul had this same blessing:

2 Cor 1 NIV

8 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. 9 Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.

5 Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.

Jesus was humble and meek and He has been given ALL power and ALL authority. If we will be like Him in humility and meekness we will inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.

If we hunger and thirst for righteousness we will be filled with His Righteousness.

7 Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.

Those who show mercy to others will receive mercy from God.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.

There is one and only one way to be pure in heart:

1 John 1:

“5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. ( That is we have fellowship with God and are one with Him)

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. “I

God tells us that all men are liars. Jesus is The Truth. How can a liar walk in the light as Jesus is in the Light. There is but one way. That is when that liar confesses to God that he is a total liar. He has just told the complete truth and stepped into the light.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.

We will be greatly blessed when we make peace with God by trusting Jesus, and nothing else to save us. We then become the children of God.

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,

When we trust in Jesus alone, and nothing else, to save us; we will be persecuted by many religious people. They will insist that the blood of Jesus, and the baptism of His Holy Spirit ,is not enough to save us. They will insist that we must be dipped in water by them, or have them lay hands upon us. But Jesus has blessed me greatly and told me that He loves me for trusting in Him alone.

Jesus was persecuted by the religious leaders of His day. But He did not seek their approval but He trusted in God alone.

If anyone dares they can put this sign on my grave:

HERE LIES LOU NEWTON

RUINED BECAUSE HE TRUSTED IN CHRIST ALONE
    Last edited by Lou Newton; January 29th, 2020, 01:50 PM.

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
    What does Matthew 5:1, 5:3-12 mean ?

When we trust in Jesus alone, and nothing else, to save us; we will be persecuted by many religious people. They will insist that the blood of Jesus, and the baptism of His Holy Spirit ,is not enough to save us. They will insist that we must be dipped in water by them, or have them lay hands upon us. But Jesus has blessed me greatly and told me that He loves me for trusting in Him alone.

If anyone dares they can put this sign on my grave:

HERE LIES LOU NEWTON

RUINED BECAUSE HE TRUSTED IN CHRIST ALONE

A pastor I know calls that the "Do it yourself works-based salvation" theory. As you yourself have said many times, if we could do it ourselves, our Lord would not have had to die for us.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allow me to make a slight modification, Lou:

HERE LIES LOU NEWTON

HE TRUSTED IN CHRIST ALONE

(they charge by the character so this will be cheaper...and you know how cheap I can be )
    You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
    - Paul Washer
    Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
    - Lou Newton

Comment

Working...
    X