Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three questions will reveal your beliefs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three questions will reveal your beliefs.

A cliché about that Christianity is that it is not a religion but a relationship between God and man. However, this relationship aspect of religion started before Christianity.
    The Old Testament reverberates with references to a failed relationship with Israel and the Southern Kingdom of Judah. From the story of Adam and Eve to the cries of the martyrs in the Book of Revelation there are conversations between God through His prophets with people, conversations both with the redeemed and the rebellious.

Everyone has a relationship with God even if they are denying the existence of God or remain ambivalent as to His existence. Any position about God may be defined in terms of a relationship. Atheist and agnostics may claim it is not possible to have a relationship with something that does not exist. However, ignoring a reality does not make it go away any more than believing something exits makes it a reality. The point is that Christianity begins with the belief that there is a God and as such all of creation is encompassed in how the creation relates to the creator.

There are two primary questions about God every Christian should be able to answer.
    1. How do you know about God? This should be a simple answer.
    2. What do you know about God? Depending upon how specific and detailed one answers this question will determine how many categories are included.

There is one secondary question about God.
    What is the proper response to God?

Is what you believe about God any different from how you learned of God?
    There may be many who call themselves Christian but what they believe about God is different from the Bible. Some of these Christians believe things about God from other religions, cults, pop culture, or fads. Their answer of the question, “What do you know about God?” may vary significantly from the revelation in the Bible.

How the three questions above are answered will reveal what kind of Christian one is claiming to be.

I believe God is real. I believe I have met Him somehow, but I am unable to recall all of it.
    I have great fear and respect for His sovereignty. I tremble before Him and at the thought of getting what I deserve.
    I believe He is merciful and forgiving, because I am still here.
    I believe He is watching and is aware of our lives and actions.
    I believe I as all of us, owe Him reverence and the asking for forgiveness and mercy.
    So far the little bit that I know of Him, show's me that He is unknowable unless He chooses to reveal Himself or something to us.
    I am thankful for Him for the small amount I am privileged to know and understand.
    What do you think?
    Thanks to the Lord for His mercy. ..... Steve

Comment

Brother Steve,
      Such a powerful answer.
      Knowing the God of the Bible will make us tremble and reverent.
      Asking for his mercy and forgiveness is how the communication on our side begins and is maintained and is the response desired by God.
      As you wrote, “I believe He is watching and is aware of our lives and actions” God is not only transcendent above the creation but He is immanent in our lives.
      Acknowledging we know only what He has revealed about Himself is very important for our trust in Him and to squash our speculations about things not revealed.
      Your reply reeks with humility.

Much of what hinders the Church in America today is the belief that we are important in and of ourselves. In other words, we have inherent value. Such a perspective effects who we think God must be. From this wrong human perspective we propose the god of our liking and a relationship centered on humans rather than on God. This imagined god acts by human rules of morality and values. There is not the fearful respect, and eventually everyone is either saved or given an extra chance to be saved.

Humans exist only for the glory of God. This is the purpose of the universe where we live. No individual or principality can change this purpose nor alter the plan by which glory is recognized upon the Father and the Son. Only in Christ do humans have purpose as part of the body (congregation) of Christ. The divine plan for our lives is to be in Christ accomplishing His will as members of His body (congregation).

Believers trust in God as revealed and not in a god imagined from our own reason.
      Believers accept the divine revelation even when they might wish it was otherwise because believers know not to trust themselves and to trust God.
      This has a name.
      It is humility before God.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
        Brother Steve,
        Such a powerful answer.
        Knowing the God of the Bible will make us tremble and reverent.
        Asking for his mercy and forgiveness is how the communication on our side begins and is maintained and is the response desired by God.
        As you wrote, “I believe He is watching and is aware of our lives and actions” God is not only transcendent above the creation but He is immanent in our lives.
        Acknowledging we know only what He has revealed about Himself is very important for our trust in Him and to squash our speculations about things not revealed.
        Your reply reeks with humility.

Much of what hinders the Church in America today is the belief that we are important in and of ourselves. In other words, we have inherent value. Such a perspective effects who we think God must be. From this wrong human perspective we propose the god of our liking and a relationship centered on humans rather than on God. This imagined god acts by human rules of morality and values. There is not the fearful respect, and eventually everyone is either saved or given an extra chance to be saved.

Humans exist only for the glory of God. This is the purpose of the universe where we live. No individual or principality can change this purpose nor alter the plan by which glory is recognized upon the Father and the Son. Only in Christ do humans have purpose as part of the body (congregation) of Christ. The divine plan for our lives is to be in Christ accomplishing His will as members of His body (congregation).

Believers trust in God as revealed and not in a god imagined from our own reason.
        Believers accept the divine revelation even when they might wish it was otherwise because believers know not to trust themselves and to trust God.
        This has a name.
        It is humility before God.
        Thanks for the kind words Glen.
        I feel so far off and all I want, the desire of my heart, is to be wholesome, and holy and in the presence of God.
        But I am so far off of the mark and so, so far away from being pure and holy.
        It is up to Him to do the work because I have shown, even proven, that I am incapable of maintaining my own integrity or destiny for that much.
        I am completely dependent upon Him to guide me to the finish line. I cannot save, or even entertain the thought of hoping to save myself.
        I trust that He will finish what He started and even with me. He doesn't waste time or mince words. He is a doer, not a talker like we are.
        I am waiting for my soulish salvation and my physical salvation to be realized and completed. Knowing my spirit is already saved is comforting, and knowing that in fact He will complete the salvation of my soul and body in His time one day.
        But until then, I must suffer like everyone else. Suffer knowing what a wretched sinful person I am, and that I am powerless to change what or who I am. That too is in His hands.
        I would like to see the 141 sinful study you have made if possible.
        Blessings brother ..... Steve

Comment

Working...
        X