The Rich and Young Ruler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rich and Young Ruler

Now as Jesus was going out on the road, a certain young ruler came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"
    So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but One, and that is God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
    The young man asked Him, "Which ones?"
    Jesus said, "You know them. 'You shall not murder', 'You shall not commit adultery', 'You shall not steal', 'You shall not bear false witness', 'You shall honor your mother and father', and 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself'."
    The young man said to Him, "Teacher, all of these I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"
    So when Jesus heard him, He looked at him, loved him, and said to him, "If you want to be perfect, there is one thing that you lack. Go your way, sell whatever you have, give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. And come, take up the cross and follow Me."
    But when the young man heard this, he became very sorrowful and went away grieved for he had great possessions.

And when Jesus saw his great sorrow, He looked around and said to His disciples, "How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the Kingdom of God!"
    And the disciples were astonished by His words.
    But Jesus answered again and said to them, "Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the Kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God."
    And they were astonished beyond measure, saying among themselves, "Who then can be saved?"
    But looking at them, Jesus said to them, "With men it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible."

(Math 19:16-26) (Mark 10:17-27) (Luke 18:18-27)

Thanks Roy. The "Eye of the Needle" was a very small gate that could be opened during the night to let someone into the city during the night after the main gate had been closed. The main gate took many men to open it but the very small gate could be opened by one man inside the city.

That One Man inside the city of God is Christ who is the only one who can open that small gate for us to enter.

But even after the "Eye of the Needle" was opened one had to take all of their possessions off of there back and get on their knees to enter that very small gate. This was so even one man could defend the city if this small gate was opened for it would be very easy for even one man to behead anyone on their knees.

So too one has to humble themselves before God and give everything to Him, including their own life, to enter the City of God.

Comment

I was reminded of this verse when I read your post Roy:

MATTHEW 16:25

KJ21
      For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever will lose his life for My sake shall find it.
      ASV
      For whosoever would save his life shall lose it: and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake shall find it.
      AMP
      For whoever wishes to save his life [in this world] will [eventually] lose it [through death], but whoever loses his life [in this world] for My sake will find it [that is, life with Me for all eternity].
      AMPC
      For whoever is bent on saving his [temporal] life [his comfort and security here] shall lose it [eternal life]; and whoever loses his life [his comfort and security here] for My sake shall find it [life everlasting].
      BRG
      For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
      CSB
      For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of me will find it.
      CEB
      All who want to save their lives will lose them. But all who lose their lives because of me will find them.
      CJB
      For whoever wants to save his own life will destroy it, but whoever destroys his life for my sake will find it.
      CEV
      If you want to save your life, you will destroy it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find it.
      DARBY
      For whosoever shall desire to save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake shall find it.
      DLNT
      For whoever wants to save his life will lose it. But whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
      DRA
      For he that will save his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it.
      ERV
      Any of you who try to save the life you have will lose it. But you who give up your life for me will find true life.
      EHV
      In fact whoever wants to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      ESV
      For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      ESVUK
      For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      EXB
      Those who want to save their lives will ·give up true life [L lose their life/soul; C Greek psychē can mean “life” or “soul,” producing this play on words], and those who ·give up [lose; sacrifice] their lives for ·me [my sake] will ·have true life [find life].
      GNV
      For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it: and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it.
      GW
      Those who want to save their lives will lose them. But those who lose their lives for me will find them.
      GNT
      For if you want to save your own life, you will lose it; but if you lose your life for my sake, you will find it.
      HCSB
      For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will find it.
      ICB
      Whoever wants to save his life will give up true life. And whoever gives up his life for me will have true life.
      ISV
      Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it,
      PHILLIPS
      Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone wants to follow in my footsteps he must give up all right to himself, take up his cross and follow me. For the man who wants to save his life will lose it; but the man who loses his life for my sake will find it. For what good is it for a man to gain the whole world at the price of his own soul? What could a man offer to buy back his soul once he had lost it?
      JUB
      For whosoever desires to save his life shall lose it, and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
      KJV
      For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
      AKJV
      LEB
      For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life on account of me will find it.
      TLB
      For anyone who keeps his life for himself shall lose it; and anyone who loses his life for me shall find it again.
      MSG
      Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?
      MEV
      For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
      MOUNCE
      For whoever resolves to save · his life will lose it; but whoever loses · his life for my sake will find it.
      NOG
      Those who want to save their lives will lose them. But those who lose their lives for me will find them.
      NABRE
      For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      NASB
      For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
      NCV
      Those who want to save their lives will give up true life, and those who give up their lives for me will have true life.
      NET
      For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      NIRV
      Whoever wants to save their life will lose it. But whoever loses their life for me will find it.
      NIV
      For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.
      NIVUK
      For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.
      NKJV
      For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
      NLV
      If anyone wants to keep his life safe, he will lose it. If anyone gives up his life because of Me, he will save it.
      NLT
      If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.
      NMB
      For whosoever would save his life, will lose it. And whosoever loses his life for my sake, will find it.
      NRSV
      For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
      NRSVA
      For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
      NRSVACE
      NRSVCE
      NTE
      Yes: if someone wants to save their life, they must lose it; and if anyone loses their life for my sake they will find it.
      OJB
      For whoever wishes to save his nefesh shall lose it; but whoever loses his nefesh on account of me [Moshiach] shall find it.
      TPT
      For if you choose self-sacrifice and lose your lives for my glory, you will continually discover true life. But if you choose to keep your lives for yourselves, you will forfeit what you try to keep.
      RSV
      For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      RSVCE
      For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
      TLV
      For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
      VOICE
      The person who wants to save his life must lose it, and she who loses her life for Me will find it.
      WEB
      For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it.
      WE
      Anyone who wants to keep his life will lose it. And anyone who gives up his life for my sake will find it.
      WYC
      for he that will make his life safe, shall lose it; and he that shall lose his life for me, shall find it.
      YLT
      for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoever may lose his life for my sake shall find it,

Comment

The above represents what I call a harmonious blend of the gospel accounts. 3 separate narratives were blended into 1 flowing story to better enable our ability to see completeness of the story. Assumption was made that each account was entirely true but not entirely complete. Each gospel included about 10 verses to tell their story. This harmony has about 20 verses to include all pertinent yet not redundant information. A little liberty was taken for flowing readability, but recorded verses were left intact as much as possible.

It is interesting to me that God would use 3 different cracked pots (like us) to record His Message, while Jesus himself, the Great Teacher would leave behind nothing recorded of His own hand. Seems like it would be easier and more accurate for Him just to do it Himself..or pick one guy (like all other religions). Instead, He used the distinct individual frailties, strengths, and personal idiosyncrasies of those who loved Him to record EXACTLY what He wanted them to. Also rather remarkable is the fact that each of the on-the-spot eye witness recorders had to rely on their brothers' account of the same event in order to grasp the completeness of what really happened on any given day. Trust solely on God but rely on your brother too?? Speaks alot about the personality and demeanor of our Maker.

I am always amazed by what God reveals to me in His Word, and equally amazed at how much that I have missed the first 50 times of reading any given story. This time around this blended harmony revealed a few new things that I hadn't seen previously..

1) The wealthy young man came RUNNING TOWARD Jesus and then KNELT BEFORE Him.
        2) The young man asked Jesus "WHAT DO I LACK?"
        3) When Jesus HEARD this question, He LOOKED at him (deeply), LOVED him (deeply), and RESPONDED to him (deeply).
        4) "Take up the cross (I have given you) and follow ME."
        5) When Jesus saw the man's GREAT SORROW, it was cause and inspiration for his sermon to the disciples.
        6) TWICE repeated the difficulty of a rich man getting into the Kingdom of Heaven.
        7) TWICE the disciples (children) were astonished. ( Were they still too rich too??)

These revelations have given me new hope that the rich young ruler's journey to complete salvation was not yet ended this day. Perhaps upon reflection and continued wooing of God he could yet find his way into the Kingdom.
        And me too..

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter,
        And glory of royalty to uncover it.

Seek and ye will find,
        Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

Comment

Sorry Lou, didn't mean to disregard your post, but didn't know it was there.
          Would have followed my 1st post with my 2nd much quicker, but the cyber-beast ate it and I had to wrangle it from his guts.
          Multiple versions of giving up our life to gain it makes it stone cold obvious but still pretty scary for wussies like me..

Comment

Working...
          X