Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between receiving The Holy Spirit and being filled with The Holy Spirit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between receiving The Holy Spirit and being filled with The Holy Spirit ?

Glen B Smith
    To:lou newton

Sep 4 at 1:16 AM
    Because I asked the question, this might help.

Baptism with the Holy Spirit or Filled with the Spirit

In the first passage Luke quotes the Lord Jesus as telling the apostles they will be "baptized with the Holy Spirit." The second passage is in the next chapter. Luke recalls an event which he describes as "filled with the Holy Spirit."

Questions about "baptized with the Holy Spirit" and "filled with the Holy Spirit."

1. How often is each term used in the New Testament?

2. Do "baptized with the Holy Spirit" and "filled with the Holy Spirit" have different meanings?

a. If the terms do not have identical meanings, what are the differences?

b. If the terms do not have identical meanings, how does this affect the Christian life?

3. Are "baptized with the Holy Spirit" and "filled with the Holy Spirit" identical?

a. If the terms do have identical meanings, why does Luke record two different terms?

b. If the terms do have identical meanings, as theology, should one term be preferred over the other? Why or why not?

Acts 1:5

5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

Acts 2:1-4

When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

04 September 2019 the old scribe
    Hi Glen,
    I have written about this subject many times. But I will write about it yet again.

Acts 2:1-4

When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

This passage in Acts is used by many denominations to claim that the disciples did not have the Holy Spirit until that day on Pentecost. It is also used by some denominations to claim that if one does not speak in tongues they do not have the Holy Spirit. But that is the same as saying if one does not speak in tongues they are not saved.

But Jesus said this to the disciples on the day He rose from the dead:

John 20 NIV

19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Now this is Jesus our Creator and the same one who spoke, "Let there be light" and there was light. The same one who spoke to the dead body of Lazarus:

John 11:43
    When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” - and Lazarus rose from the grave he had been in for 4 days. If Jesus had not addressed Lazarus by name the whole graveyard would have rose from the dead.

So we know that the disciples had received The Holy Spirit of Jesus on that day. This was well before Pentecost.

So what took place. The disciples received The Holy Spirit on the day Jesus rose from the dead. After all God obeys His own laws and God tells us this:

Proverbs 3:28 NIV

Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back tomorrow and I'll give it to you"-- when you already have it with you.

Why would Jesus withhold His Holy Spirit from those who sought to be with Him and wanted to be with Him.

Someone may ask, Why didn't Jesus give His Holy Spirit to His disciples before He rose from the dead. The disciples did not seek His Holy Spirit because they had Jesus in the flesh. But once His human body was gone they sought Him.

When God came down from heaven and was born of a woman to become one of us; He had the limitations of a man. He proved that by dying like men do. So Jesus, the man, could not be with everyone who later would seek Him. So He comes to all who seek Him as His Holy Spirit. His Holy Spirit is God Almighty and not a man. So His Holy Spirit can be with everybody who seeks Him.

So what took place at Pentecost ?

If one reads with care they will see the disciples changed from a rowdy doubting bunch to a scripture reading and praying bunch AFTER they received The Holy Spirit. They were changed.

But we who have the Holy Spirit can not control the Holy Spirit, we are to be controlled by Him.

Luke 24 NIV

45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.

Obviously this is something different from receiving The Holy Spirit. It is when The Holy Spirit comes on you with power and fills you to over flowing with His Holy Spirit and sometimes takes control over you. The Holy Spirit might speak forth in tongues or He might preach a sermon through you.

We know that people received The Holy Spirit before the cross and before Jesus rose from the dead. Anyone could be saved by trusting in God to save them as Abraham did. He trusted in God before Jesus died as we trust in Jesus after He died. God lives outside of time and He can save anyone anytime. If someone would argue that Abraham was born too early, Abraham could reply we were born too late.

Luke 1 NIV
    The Birth of John the Baptist Foretold

5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6 Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. 7 But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old.

8 Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10 And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.

11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John.14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth,15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

18 Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.”

19 The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. 20 And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.”

21 Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah and wondering why he stayed so long in the temple. 22 When he came out, he could not speak to them. They realized he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak.

23 When his time of service was completed, he returned home. 24 After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. 25 “The Lord has done this for me,” she said. “In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people.” .................................................. ........

Mary Visits Elizabeth

39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea,40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women,and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” ....................................

The Birth of John the Baptist

57 When it was time for Elizabeth to have her baby, she gave birth to a son. 58 Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy, and they shared her joy.

59 On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to name him after his father Zechariah, 60 but his mother spoke up and said, “No! He is to be called John.”

61 They said to her, “There is no one among your relatives who has that name.”

62 Then they made signs to his father, to find out what he would like to name the child. 63 He asked for a writing tablet, and to everyone’s astonishment he wrote, “His name is John.” 64 Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue set free, and he began to speak, praising God. 65 All the neighbors were filled with awe, and throughout the hill country of Judea people were talking about all these things.66 Everyone who heard this wondered about it, asking, “What then is this child going to be?” For the Lord’s hand was with him.

Zechariah’s Song

67 His father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied:

So how was John filled with the Holy Spirit before he was even born? Look at the plants. Dead plants do not bring forth seed that produces life.. Live plants bring forth seed that produces live plants. John's father and mother both were alive in the spirit and not dead. So they brought forth a live baby, who was John. In other words they were born again, in the spirit, so they brought forth a baby who was filed with the Holy Spirit.

To review the answer to the question:

A person can received The Holy Spirit and later be filed with The Holy Spirit in power.

A person can receive the Holy Spirit and be filled with the Holy Spirit at the same time. Later that person can be filled with the Holy Spirit many more times during their life.

Lou Newton
    Bond Servant of the Lord Jesus

Last edited by Lou Newton; September 4th, 2019, 07:24 PM.
Working...
X