BEING ABLE TO RECOGNIZE JESUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEING ABLE TO RECOGNIZE JESUS

Being able to recognize Jesus is one of the most important things one can do.

God Almighty was born of a woman and stood before the Pharisees and raised the dead right before their eyes and yet they did not recognize The God they claimed to worship. WHY ?

A man born without eyes was given sight and had a much different reaction to Jesus. WHY ?

Let us look at the passage about the Pharisees:

John 11
    The Death of Lazarus

1 Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha.
    2 This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.
    3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick."
    4 When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it."
    5 Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.
    6 Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days.
    7 Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea."
    8 "But Rabbi," they said, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you, and yet you are going back there?"
    9 Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours of daylight? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light.
    10 It is when he walks by night that he stumbles, for he has no light."
    11 After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."
    12 His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better."
    13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
    14 So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead,
    15 and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him."
    16 Then Thomas (called Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."
    Jesus Comforts the Sisters

17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days.
    18 Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem,
    19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother.
    20When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.
    21 "Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
    22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."
    23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
    24 Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
    25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;
    26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
    27 "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
    28 And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. "The Teacher is here," she said, "and is asking for you."
    29 When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him.
    30Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him.
    31 When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.
    32 When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."
    33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled.
    34 "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord," they replied.
    35 Jesus wept.
    36 Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!"
    37 But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?"
    Jesus Raises Lazarus From the Dead

38 Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance.
    39 "Take away the stone," he said. "But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."
    40 Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed,you would see the glory of God?"
    41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
    42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."
    43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!"
    44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."
    The Plot to Kill Jesus

45 Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him.
    46 But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done.
    47 Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. "What are we accomplishing?" they asked. "Here is this man performing many miraculous signs.
    48 If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation."
    49 Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, "You know nothing at all!
    50 You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish."
    51 He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation,
    52 and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one.
    53 So from that day on they plotted to take his life.
    54 Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the Jews. Instead he withdrew to a region near the desert, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples.
    55 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, many went up from the country to Jerusalem for their ceremonial cleansing before the Passover.
    56 They kept looking for Jesus, and as they stood in the temple area they asked one another, "What do you think? Isn't he coming to the Feast at all?"
    57 But the chief priests and Pharisees had given orders that if anyone found out where Jesus was, he should report it so that they might arrest him.

Reading this chapter of John some questions may come to you ?

Lou Newton

Grace to you
    Last edited by Lou Newton; October 19, 2015, 12:55 PM.

It will help to know a little more about Mary and Martha

Luke 10
    At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.
    39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.
    40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself ? Tell her to help me!"
    41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things,
    42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Notice that Mary sat at his feet and listened to every word Jesus said.

I have been in many churches where some women sat or stood in judgment of what anyone who came to them said. They sat there as judges, not like Mary who sat at the feet of Jesus.

When one puts them self forth as a judge of what is being said, it is unlikely they will be able to see any new revelation from God.

NOTE: Many of these women are in church without their husbands. Why does their husband not come to church? Or why did their husband leave them? Maybe because they acted as judge around him also. I do not speak of the humble women who husband was a tyrant or unfaithful and left her, or still with her but does not come to church.

Mary took a position of humility and it was revealed to her that Jesus was The Son of God. How many others witnessed even more acts of Jesus than she had seen, yet they did not see that Jesus was The Son of God.

For it is only when we confess that we are blind that The Lord gives us sight. Not one man who confessed that he could see was given sight in the gospels. Every single man that confessed that he was blind was given sight.

Those that sit in judgement, of others that speak, are claiming that they are able to see by their very act of making themselves a judge. They will not be given sight.

Anytime someone comes to us with a message, we should cry out to The Lord Jesus, Lord I am blind, please help me to see your truth.

Jesus healed every man who confessed he was blind. Jesus will give you sight when you confess you are blind. He will reveal to you those who are false prophets and those who are from Him.

Grace to you
    Lou Newton

Last edited by Lou Newton; October 19, 2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Luke 7
      Jesus Anointed by a Sinful Woman

7:37-39Ref -- Mt 26:6-13; Mk 14:3-9; Jn 12:1-8 7:41,42Ref -- Mt 18:23-34

36 Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table.
      37 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume,
      38 and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.
      39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is--that she is a sinner."
      40Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said.
      41 "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
      42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
      43 Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.
      44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
      45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet.
      46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.
      47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."
      48Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
      49 The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"
      50 Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

NOTICE:
      2 This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.

Grace to you
      Lou Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
        For it is only when we confess that we are blind that The Lord gives us sight.

Every single man that confessed that he was blind was given sight.

Lou - I'm not trying to be a difficult "fly in the ointment," regarding your commentaries here, but if I am not mistaken, the blind man in John 9:1-5 had not previously confessed and/or mentioned to Jesus that he was blind (physically or spiritually) before Jesus healed him.

As he (Jesus) went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Lou - you are quite correct that the Scriptures do mention that many people who were healed by Jesus had come to Him in humility and confession. Jesus never turned away any of these people. However, in John 9 we see a different scenario - a wonderful Savior who healed a blind person who had not appealed to Him for His for healing.
        Last edited by Fisherman; October 19, 2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Lou - I'm not trying to be a difficult "fly in the ointment," regarding your commentaries here, but if I am not mistaken, the blind man in John 9:1-5 had not previously confessed and/or mentioned to Jesus that he was blind (physically or spiritually) before Jesus healed him.

As he (Jesus) went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Lou - you are quite correct that the Scriptures do mention that many people who were healed by Jesus had come to Him in humility and confession. Jesus never turned away any of these people. However, in John 9 we see a different scenario - a wonderful Savior who healed a blind person who had not appealed to Him for His for healing.

Thanks for the reply Tom. Well you got a little ahead of my plan, but that is fine. But you have made a very good point. Also you made many good comments in your post.

This man wore his confession everywhere he went to everyone that saw him. He was born blind and he certainly is not recorded as denying that he was blind as the Pharisees did.

He did not go around confessing that he was blind with his lips, for there is reason to believe that he had no eyeballs at all. ( I will present those reasons later when we get to this man's story)

He would be like a man walking around saying, I am blind, everywhere he went. Notice they SEEN that he was blind without anyone telling them about it. I think it was obvious to everyone that he was blind.

If I had no arm and wore a prosthetic arm everywhere I went, and hid the fact that I had no arm, then one could say that I am not confessing that I have no arm. But in those days there were no prosthetic arms for the poor and anyone who had no arm walked around with his mere appearance confessing that the fact that he had no arm if he was not taking care to hide the fact.

This man born blind was not wearing anything to hide his blindness (sunglasses) and his blindness was obvious for everyone to see. He confessed his blindness by going out in public for everyone to see him.

The Pharisees on the other hand went to great lengths to confess that they could see. They were leaders that held a position that said we know more than common people. They wore clothing that stated that they prayed and studied for long hours. They were like the men today that accept a title of Pope, Bishop, Reverend, Apostle etc to make it obvious to everyone that they are not blind but in fact they think they see more than others.

Paul was called to be an apostle, but never wore it as a title. He never called himself Apostle Paul, BUT instead Paul , who was called to be an apostle. Everyone just called him, Paul, not Apostle Paul.

Grace to you
          Lou Newton

Comment

Lou - sorry I got ahead of your plan. I was just sharing some of my personal thoughts. I think it is great that you have so many deep questions about God and Christ and that you are openly willing to share your questions here - and that you personally seek answers to those questions as a way for you and others to grow and mature spiritually. Hopefully, other people will contribute their thoughts on this issue in order to help you (and others) understand the Lord's purpose better.
            Last edited by Fisherman; October 19, 2015, 05:43 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Lou - sorry I got ahead of your plan. I was just sharing some of my personal thoughts. I think it is great that you have so many deep questions about God and Christ and that you are openly willing to share your questions here - and that you personally seek answers to those questions as a way for you and others to grow and mature spiritually. Hopefully, other people will contribute their thoughts on this issue in order to help you (and others) understand the Lord's purpose better.

Please don't be sorry Tom. Questions is what keeps this forum going. Often I get revelations from The Lord when thinking about a question that was asked.

That is the case with your question. I was not aware of the answer I gave in post #5 until I prayed about it after you asked your question.

I am totally convinced of the total truth of this scripture:

1 John 1
              5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
              6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.
              7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
              8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
              9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
              10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

John says that this passage is the message that Jesus taught them

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

It follows that if we do not confess our sin, we are not forgiven of that sin.

Now the great error of many is that they think if they confess their sin once ( and that sin is the bad things they think they have done) then they are forgiven of all sin for all time.

That is a misunderstanding of this passage.

For we are also told that our most righteous deeds are filthy rags and so everything we ever did, said or thought is sin.

We are forgiven of all of our sin when we confess that everything we do is sin.

If we think most of what we do it not sin, we are not confessing it as sin, and are not forgiven of it.

That is why Mary was forgiven of much and so loved much; AND why Simon was forgiven of little and so love little.

People like Simon think that they have little sin, and so confess little sin and are forgiven of little, and so love Jesus little.

People like Mary are aware of their sin being so great and confess great sin and so are forgiven of great sin. So Mary loved Jesus much.

Grace to you
              Lou Newton

Comment

Being able to recognize Jesus is one of the most important things one can do.

God Almighty was born of a woman and stood before the Pharisees and raised the dead right before their eyes and yet they did not recognize The God they claimed to worship. WHY ?

A man born without eyes was given sight and had a much different reaction to Jesus. WHY ?

Let us look at the passage about the Pharisees:

John 11
                The Death of Lazarus

1 Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha.
                3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick."
                4 When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it."
                5 Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.
                6 Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days.
                7 Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea."
                8 "But Rabbi," they said, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you, and yet you are going back there?"
                9 Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours of daylight? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light.
                10 It is when he walks by night that he stumbles, for he has no light."
                11 After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."
                12 His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better."
                13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
                14 So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead,
                15 and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him."
                16 Then Thomas (called Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."
                Jesus Comforts the Sisters

17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days.
                18 Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem,
                19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother.
                20When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.
                21 "Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
                22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."
                23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
                24 Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
                25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;
                26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
                27 "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
                28 And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. "The Teacher is here," she said, "and is asking for you."
                29 When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him.
                30Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him.
                31 When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.
                32 When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."
                33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled.
                34 "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord," they replied.
                35 Jesus wept.
                36 Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!"
                37 But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?"
                Jesus Raises Lazarus From the Dead

38 Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance.
                39 "Take away the stone," he said. "But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."
                40 Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed,you would see the glory of God?"
                41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
                42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."
                43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!"
                44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."
                The Plot to Kill Jesus

45 Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him.
                46 But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done.
                47 Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. "What are we accomplishing?" they asked. "Here is this man performing many miraculous signs.
                48 If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation."
                49 Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, "You know nothing at all!
                50 You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish."
                51 He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation,
                52 and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one.
                53 So from that day on they plotted to take his life.
                54 Therefore Jesus no longer moved about publicly among the Jews. Instead he withdrew to a region near the desert, to a village called Ephraim, where he stayed with his disciples.
                55 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, many went up from the country to Jerusalem for their ceremonial cleansing before the Passover.
                56 They kept looking for Jesus, and as they stood in the temple area they asked one another, "What do you think? Isn't he coming to the Feast at all?"
                57 But the chief priests and Pharisees had given orders that if anyone found out where Jesus was, he should report it so that they might arrest him.

Reading this chapter of John some questions may come to you ?

Lou Newton

Grace to you
                In these passages we see a number of different attitudes.

There is Thomas, affectionately called Doubting Thomas by NT readers, who needed proof to satisfy his pragmatism. He speaks words of bold loyalty here, "Let us also go, that we may die with him." Jesus' reply to Thomas is either not recorded, or He did not comment. Later in the book of John, after Jesus' resurrection, Thomas, by his expressions, confessed he needed to see and touch for his own confirmation of the claims of others.

There is Martha, who expresses open belief with her mouth, but seems to harbor doubt like the father who exclaimed to Jesus, "Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!" There is hope desperately pressing through doubt. Jesus replies to Martha to uphold her faith, twice.

Mary, bless her heart. Broken over her sin, and restored by the Lord. Deeply loving and grateful and simply delighted by His presence, a pure picture of the little lamb and her Shepherd. She's in grief over her brother's passing. Her soul may be crying out to God, why could not Jesus have been here for them? Something in this, and the people in grief for the sisters, moves Jesus to weep and to action.

When Lazarus came forth at Jesus' calling, there are those who believed. These surely had something, perhaps some of the elements from Jesus' sermon in Matthew 5, They had hope in God, and were not of the priests. They may have revered the station of the priests of Yahweh, but it was Yahweh Himself they were seeking.

The ones who ran to the Pharisees to rat Jesus out had to have been in thick darkness. By this account pretty much everyone but them was blessed with faith in the Son of God. I would say they could not see, hear, or think past their idols.

Thank you for this study, Lou. I was feeling rather famished. This hearty bread is well received, thank you, Lord Jesus!

Comment

Please don't be sorry Tom. Questions is what keeps this forum going. Often I get revelations from The Lord when thinking about a question that was asked.

That is the case with your question. I was not aware of the answer I gave in post #5 until I prayed about it after you asked your question.

I am totally convinced of the total truth of this scripture:

1 John 1
                  5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
                  6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.
                  7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
                  8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
                  9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
                  10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

John says that this passage is the message that Jesus taught them

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

It follows that if we do not confess our sin, we are not forgiven of that sin.

Now the great error of many is that they think if they confess their sin once ( and that sin is the bad things they think they have done) then they are forgiven of all sin for all time.

That is a misunderstanding of this passage.

For we are also told that our most righteous deeds are filthy rags and so everything we ever did, said or thought is sin.

We are forgiven of all of our sin when we confess that everything we do is sin.

If we think most of what we do it not sin, we are not confessing it as sin, and are not forgiven of it.

That is why Mary was forgiven of much and so loved much; AND why Simon was forgiven of little and so love little.

People like Simon think that they have little sin, and so confess little sin and are forgiven of little, and so love Jesus little.

People like Mary are aware of their sin being so great and confess great sin and so are forgiven of great sin. So Mary loved Jesus much.

Grace to you
                  Lou Newton
                  Hi, Lou,

Would you say that our deeds are as filthy rags because they are our deeds? They would be our deeds because we did them for our own glory, and to fulfill our own desires, and to seek our own righteousness. This is sowing to the flesh, so certainly it is as filthy rags. If we really think it through, we don't want to cover ourselves with filthy rags. They will be thrown into the fire and burned.

There are works that God does through us, His earthen vessels, for His own glory and I would not call these works sinful. I'd call them righteous works. They glorify God and He adorns us with them, the robes of righteousness of the saints.

I got a little bent out of shape at another forum when I spoke plainly about righteous works, and was corrected for it. The apostles wrote plainly, in speech that said "I do", and nobody jumped on them for it. We knew what they meant by it. I guess I'm hoping to lay the groundwork for some common understanding to avoid such burrs among us.

Comment

Thanks for asking this, Tom. Steel sharpens steel.

Also, what about people who can't confess their state because they can't speak! Bless the Lord, He sees what we cannot and pities us. He knows our frame, and remembers that we are dust (Psa 103:14).

Comment

It will help to know a little more about Mary and Martha

Luke 10
                      At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.
                      39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.
                      40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself ? Tell her to help me!"
                      41 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things,
                      42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Notice that Mary sat at his feet and listened to every word Jesus said.

I have been in many churches where some women sat or stood in judgment of what anyone who came to them said. They sat there as judges, not like Mary who sat at the feet of Jesus.

When one puts them self forth as a judge of what is being said, it is unlikely they will be able to see any new revelation from God.

NOTE: Many of these women are in church without their husbands. Why does their husband not come to church? Or why did their husband leave them? Maybe because they acted as judge around him also. I do not speak of the humble women who husband was a tyrant or unfaithful and left her, or still with her but does not come to church.

Mary took a position of humility and it was revealed to her that Jesus was The Son of God. How many others witnessed even more acts of Jesus than she had seen, yet they did not see that Jesus was The Son of God.

For it is only when we confess that we are blind that The Lord gives us sight. Not one man who confessed that he could see was given sight in the gospels. Every single man that confessed that he was blind was given sight.

Those that sit in judgement, of others that speak, are claiming that they are able to see by their very act of making themselves a judge. They will not be given sight.

Anytime someone comes to us with a message, we should cry out to The Lord Jesus, Lord I am blind, please help me to see your truth.

Jesus healed every man who confessed he was blind. Jesus will give you sight when you confess you are blind. He will reveal to you those who are false prophets and those who are from Him.

Grace to you
                      Lou Newton
                      This is an excellent lesson from this passage. We see other women who were blessed when they chose a higher cause that may have been deemed a punishable choice by man.

Tamar comes to mind, who played the harlot with her father-in-law Judah, when he dealt treacherously with her (Gen 38). Nothing good would have happened to her if Judah didn't have to save face.

Of course, Rahab, who protected Joshuah's spies (Jos 6) rather than turn them over to the ruler of Jericho where she lived, and presumably had family and friends and perhaps some expected allegiance. She would have been killed for a traitor.

Jael, Heber's wife, who by deceit gave Sisera the enemy of the Lord a place to hide, rest and replenish; only, after he blessed her above all women, to sneak up on him as he slept and use a hammer to drive a nail into his head (Jdg 4-5).

I always wonder, did these women do these things without the leading of the Holy Ghost?

Did Mary do what she did without the Spirit? Seems obvious to me that she didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

In these passages we see a number of different attitudes.

There is Thomas, affectionately called Doubting Thomas by NT readers, who needed proof to satisfy his pragmatism. He speaks words of bold loyalty here, "Let us also go, that we may die with him." Jesus' reply to Thomas is either not recorded, or He did not comment. Later in the book of John, after Jesus' resurrection, Thomas, by his expressions, confessed he needed to see and touch for his own confirmation of the claims of others.

There is Martha, who expresses open belief with her mouth, but seems to harbor doubt like the father who exclaimed to Jesus, "Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!" There is hope desperately pressing through doubt. Jesus replies to Martha to uphold her faith, twice.

Mary, bless her heart. Broken over her sin, and restored by the Lord. Deeply loving and grateful and simply delighted by His presence, a pure picture of the little lamb and her Shepherd. She's in grief over her brother's passing. Her soul may be crying out to God, why could not Jesus have been here for them? Something in this, and the people in grief for the sisters, moves Jesus to weep and to action.

When Lazarus came forth at Jesus' calling, there are those who believed. These surely had something, perhaps some of the elements from Jesus' sermon in Matthew 5, They had hope in God, and were not of the priests. They may have revered the station of the priests of Yahweh, but it was Yahweh Himself they were seeking.

The ones who ran to the Pharisees to rat Jesus out had to have been in thick darkness. By this account pretty much everyone but them was blessed with faith in the Son of God. I would say they could not see, hear, or think past their idols.

Thank you for this study, Lou. I was feeling rather famished. This hearty bread is well received, thank you, Lord Jesus!

Thanks for your reply Barry. Some very good comments here. I hope everyone ponders on them and reads them more than once.

Lou

Comment

Going back over all the passages here, I noticed this one in particular (hopefully I am not going off on a tangent here).

Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. "What are we accomplishing?" they asked. "Here is this man performing many miraculous signs.
                          If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation."
                          "If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation." (emphasis mine)

I think this reveals exactly what the Pharisees' spiritual condition truly was at the time. They were more concerned about retaining their positions and status rather than seeing and humbly acknowledging the Truth.

“"Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred?" (emphasis mine)

Matthew 23:16-19

Comment

Hi, Lou,

Would you say that our deeds are as filthy rags because they are our deeds? They would be our deeds because we did them for our own glory, and to fulfill our own desires, and to seek our own righteousness. This is sowing to the flesh, so certainly it is as filthy rags. If we really think it through, we don't want to cover ourselves with filthy rags. They will be thrown into the fire and burned.

There are works that God does through us, His earthen vessels, for His own glory and I would not call these works sinful. I'd call them righteous works. They glorify God and He adorns us with them, the robes of righteousness of the saints.

I got a little bent out of shape at another forum when I spoke plainly about righteous works, and was corrected for it. The apostles wrote plainly, in speech that said "I do", and nobody jumped on them for it. We knew what they meant by it. I guess I'm hoping to lay the groundwork for some common understanding to avoid such burrs among us.

I think we are understanding each other here, but I will elaborate on this to make sure.

I will use my own experience as an example.

Once the Lord got me out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the hospital to pray for a son's dying mother. I did not know why He awoke me or where I was going. The Lord was totally righteous in everything He said and did. His motives were unselfish and pure. He was working through a spirit that wanted to please him in every way. BUT my soul was filled with fear and doubt at times. My flesh was always lazy and cowardly.

2 cor 4
                            7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

The treasure is His Holy Spirit and we are the clay jars. Our spirit is made righteous by the presence of His Holy Spirit and it always wants to do righteousness because of His presence. BUT any spirit of man without His Holy Spirit is not righteous and is in fact dead. Our spirit was dead without the presence of His Holy Spirit. So our spirit is righteous and alive, BUT only because of the presence of His Holy Spirit. Our spirit is saved and will live forever because His Holy Spirit will never leave us.

Now our soul is not through being saved and it being saved, but it is NOT a finished work yet. Our soul has many wrong beliefs that are NOT righteous. Our soul also has many wrong emotions and decisions that are not righteous. That is why we are still here on this earth and have not been taken up like Enoch was. We are here to get our soul saved. Our soul is BEING saved. It is a work in progress.

Now many refuse to listen to The Holy Spirit and refuse to change their wrong beliefs and wrong emotions and decisions. Nothing that is unrighteous will be allowed into heaven and so the parts of our soul that we did not allow His Holy Spirit to change will not be allowed into heaven. That is why there are different glories in heaven. Some will be like little children because they refused to let the Holy Spirit save much of their soul. Some will be like the stars and will be given high positions in His kingdom. But remember the least will be the greatest and the greatest will be the least. We are no judge of who is which. Some that we think least will be the greatest in heaven.

But our spirit and our soul is contained in this body of flesh. We know our flesh is going to die and that makes us selfish. Our flesh always wants to survive and so fears and is selfish. Our flesh can not be saved so we will be given new bodies that will not die. When this takes place we will be totally righteous. BUT only because of His Holy Spirit that in inside of our spirit, and the fact that His Holy Spirit led our soul into righteousness, and gave us a new body that would not die.

So even then we will, be righteous, but only because of The Lord Jesus.

As of now, our spirits are always righteous, our souls are being made righteous when and where we follow His Holy Spirit. but our flesh is never going to be righteous.

So The Lord's acts through us are always righteous. Because He is righteous. But His righteous acts are always done through clay jars that are not righteous.

If I am obedient and allow The Holy Spirit to speak through me, His words will be perfect. BUT He will speak through an imperfect vessel in me. My thoughts of fear and doubt and vain glories will be in me as He speaks.

He is always righteous, I am never righteous of myself. I am only made righteous by the covering of His blood and the presence of His Holy Spirit.

We must always remember that we are clay vessels that God has filled.

I wrote an article about this. It was about the three steps to salvation. The Greek word for saved is in the present ONGOING tense. It means we ARE saved. we are BEING saved, and we WILL BE saved.

Our spirit IS saved when his Holy Spirit enters into it and it will live forever.

Our soul is BEING saved while we are here on the earth. How much of it is saved is up to our willingness to let His Holy Spirit change us.

Or flesh is beyond salvation, but we WILL BE saved when He gives us a new body that will never die.

Only then will the sting of death be lost. The sting of death is sin. We sin because we know e are going to die. When we know we will never die, the sting of death will be lost forever.

1 Cor 15

56 The sting of death is sin

Of course it is speaking of natural death in the scripture above, not spiritual death. The fact that we know we are going to die in the flesh causes our flesh to hold onto life.

Romans 6

23For the wages of sin is death,

The scripture above is speaking of spiritual death. If we do not confess our sin we will die an eternal death of the spirit.

Grace to you
                            Lou Newton
                            Last edited by Lou Newton; October 20, 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks for asking this, Tom. Steel sharpens steel.

Also, what about people who can't confess their state because they can't speak! Bless the Lord, He sees what we cannot and pities us. He knows our frame, and remembers that we are dust (Psa 103:14).

Well you see Tom, questions are what keeps our forum going.

Good addition Barry.

The Lord tells us to CONFESS our sin. Notice He did not say SPEAK our confession. There are many ways to confess our sin. We can confess our sin by our WORDS, our DEEDS, or our THOUGHTS.

The blind man was confessing his blindness by his deeds and we do not know his thoughts, but The Lord did know his thoughts.

Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X