A Mighty Fortress is our God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mighty Fortress is our God

I was up all night praying and seeking The Lord about what I should do.

I did not have a peace about what I have been doing. The Lord has been restraining His word through me. I have not known why. So I finally got serious about seeking Him about this.

This is what The Lord showed me:

A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD

A mighty Fortress is our God,
    A Bulwark never failing;
    Our Helper He amid the flood
    Of mortal ills prevailing:
    For still our ancient foe
    Doth seek to work us woe;
    His craft and power are great,
    And, armed with cruel hate,
    On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide,
    Our striving would be losing;
    Were not the right Man on our side,
    The Man of God’s own choosing:
    Dost ask who that may be?
    Christ Jesus, it is He;
    Lord Sabaoth His Name,
    From age to age the same,
    And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled,
    Should threaten to undo us,
    We will not fear, for God hath willed
    His truth to triumph through us:
    The Prince of Darkness grim,
    We tremble not for him;
    His rage we can endure,
    For lo! his doom is sure,
    One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers,
    No thanks to them, abideth;
    The Spirit and the gifts are ours
    Through Him who with us sideth:
    Let goods and kindred go,
    This mortal life also;
    The body they may kill:
    God’s truth abideth still,
    His Kingdom is forever

This hymn was written by Martin Luther.

Is this hymn from The Holy Spirit.

Is God really a Mighty Fortress.

Well here is the scripture for anyone who does not already know:

Psalm 46 English Standard Version (ESV)

God Is Our Fortress

To the choirmaster. Of the Sons of Korah. According to Alamoth. A Song.

46 God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,

though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.

God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
    God will help her when morning dawns.

The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.

The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how he has brought desolations on the earth.

He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the chariots with fire.

“Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!”

The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress
    And here is a witness to that:

Psalm 46 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 46

For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to alamoth. A song.

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.

God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.

Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.

He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
    He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

So God is our Fortress and no one else can be our fortress

For anyone to claim to be our fortress is simply to proclaim to be our God

Who is The Truth - there is One and Only One who is The Truth

That is The Lord Jesus Christ

So who is our Fortress of Truth

Well that is the Lord Jesus Christ and no one else

The very first time I looked at the name of our forum I got a very bad feeling

I thought it must just be me

But it was no feeling at all, but the Holy Spirit showing His displeasure

I criticize the Pope for calling himself The Holy Father - There is but one Holy Father and that is God

I offer my most humble apology for furthering this forum while it calls itself The Fortress of Truth

I could get no peace until I sat down and wrote this apology to everyone

There is but one Fortress of Truth and we are not Him

To call ourselves The Fortress of Truth is very great error.

But I have allowed myself to be part of a forum that calls itself - The Fortress of Truth - there is but one Fortress of Truth and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. - I have sinned and ask The Lord Jesus to forgive me.

Grace to you all

Lou Newton

Originally posted by Lou Newton
    So God is our Fortress and no one else can be our fortress

For anyone to claim to be our fortress is simply to proclaim to be our God

Who is The Truth - there is One and Only One who is The Truth

So who is our Fortress of Truth

Well that is the Lord Jesus Christ and no one else

The very first time I looked at the name of our forum I got a very bad feeling

I thought it must just be me

But it was no feeling at all, but the Holy Spirit showing His displeasure

I criticize the Pope for calling himself The Holy Father - There is but one Holy Father and that is God

I offer my most humble apology for furthering this forum while it calls itself The Fortress of Truth

I could get no peace until I sat down and wrote this apology to everyone

There is but one Fortress of Truth and we are not Him

To call ourselves The Fortress of Truth is very great error.

But I have allowed myself to be part of a forum that calls itself - The Fortress of Truth - there is but one Fortress of Truth and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. - I have sinned and ask The Lord Jesus to forgive me.
    Lou,

I've been praying about your thoughts above. You make a valid point. Nobody here ever intended to communicate to the world that we are a substitute for The One and Only Fortress of Truth in the universe. Rather we want to align ourselves with The Fortress of Truth. I know that you already know that.

Here's what I'm getting on the matter...

We need to change the subheading phrase on the banner. The one that never has felt quite right to me, even though I wrote it. We need to change it so that it affirms that Jesus Christ is the One and Only Fortress of Truth. Can anyone think of the best scripture verse that will affirm that fundamental truth?

Blane

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
      Lou,

I've been praying about your thoughts above. You make a valid point. Nobody here ever intended to communicate to the world that we are a substitute for The One and Only Fortress of Truth in the universe. Rather we want to align ourselves with The Fortress of Truth. I know that you already know that.

Here's what I'm getting on the matter...

We need to change the subheading phrase on the banner. The one that never has felt quite right to me, even though I wrote it. We need to change it so that it affirms that Jesus Christ is the One and Only Fortress of Truth. Can anyone think of the best scripture verse that will affirm that fundamental truth?

Blane
      I know you well enough to know that you did not intend to call us God.

But this is important enough, that whatever we call our selves should NOT be able to be confused, or even nicknamed to be a Name of God. In other words we do not want people calling us God in any way.

God makes the distinction between Him and us very clear in the scriptures, we should do the same.

Notice that Israel was not called any name of God or any name even after Him. They were called Israel, or those that have power with God.

Never once is any prophet called The prophet, and then said that his name is referring to God, who is The Prophet.

There is never any confusion, or even the chance of getting the names confused between men and God in the Bible.

Lou
      Last edited by Lou Newton; December 29, 2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

You could change the banner to:

Jesus: Our Fortress of Truth
        I think everything else would fit as-is quite nicely underneath
        You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
        - Paul Washer
        Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
        - Lou Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
          I know you well enough to know that you did not intend to call us God.

But this is important enough, that whatever we call our selves should NOT be able to be confused, or even nicknamed to be a Name of God. In other words we do not want people calling us God in any way.

God makes the distinction between Him and us very clear in the scriptures, we should do the same.

Notice that Israel was not called any name of God or any name even after Him. They were called Israel, or those that have power with God.

Never once is any prophet called The prophet, and then said that his name is referring to God, who is The Prophet.

There is never any confusion, or even the chance of getting the names confused between men and God in the Bible.

Lou
          Maybe we can tweak the name to point to Whom it belongs. I do like the sense of it. But it is important not to give room to misconstrue: Let not then your good be evil spoken of.

Here is a great pair of verses.

Isa 26:1 In that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah; We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks.
          Isa 26:2 Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth may enter in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post

Now that's thinking outside the box, Jules. We can turn a negative into a positive by taking this opportunity to proclaim exactly who The Fortress of Truth is. As it stands now, the phrase underneath the Title of the forum stands alone. It does nothing to enhance or expound upon the title.

Our banner never has felt like a done deal to me. Travis would agree that we really agonized to even get it to the place it is now (the banner). Yet, it never felt quite right and I didn't know why. I was probably driving Travis nuts in those early days because I kept asking him to change the colors and verbiage on the banner. He was actually pretty patient and we had some laughs along the way. But he felt the banner was way down the list of priorities needed to get the forum up and running, so I finally let it rest.

I'm gonna do a word search tonight when I get to my hotel and see if I can find the perfect verse that speaks of God being our fortress of truth. Or maybe we can use something from Martin Luther's hymn. Or Jules idea would also work.

Anyway, we can work through this bump in the road. No worries. God knows we weren't trying to steal His glory or deceive anyone.

Thanks Lou for speaking your heart on this matter.

Blane

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post

Thanks for the comments Julie and Barry

Both good ones

Lou

Comment

Now that's thinking outside the box, Jules. We can turn a negative into a positive by taking this opportunity to proclaim exactly who The Fortress of Truth is. As it stands now, the phrase underneath the Title of the forum stands alone. It does nothing to enhance or expound upon the title.
                The little phrase on the forum home page is a minor inconvenience.

If it was simple to remove I would have definitely done so 5 months ago. Last time I was messing with it, I screwed up the database and ended up just reloading the whole forum. If it is that troublesome, I may look into the matter again, regarding just removing it.

Our banner never has felt like a done deal to me. Travis would agree that we really agonized to even get it to the place it is now (the banner). Yet, it never felt quite right and I didn't know why. I was probably driving Travis nuts in those early days because I kept asking him to change the colors and verbiage on the banner. He was actually pretty patient and we had some laughs along the way. But he felt the banner was way down the list of priorities needed to get the forum up and running, so I finally let it rest.
                I like the banner. It could be better, but I think it's more than sufficient for our needs at the time. If this forum ever grows to 50+ people, a pretty major overhaul may be in order, and that may be a good time to update it. Vbulletin 5 may be a great option to consider at some point. There are alternative color schemes that do not include the banner if it does bother anyone. You weren't driving me nuts Blane, I love being able to tailor something to another person's desire, as long as they are being reasonable. It is never easy to try and visualize someone else's desired image, let alone from half way across the country. Something that is at the top of every page you visit on the site is worth taking the time to make look good though.

Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
                  The little phrase on the forum home page is a minor inconvenience.

If it was simple to remove I would have definitely done so 5 months ago. Last time I was messing with it, I screwed up the database and ended up just reloading the whole forum. If it is that troublesome, I may look into the matter again, regarding just removing it.
                  Travis,

I remember back in July that you were perturbed about the home page glitch. That is, when you discovered Vbulletin automatically puts the word "the" in front of our forum name. That does sorta make it look like we think we've got a corner on the truth market. But we all know we don't. And God certainly understands our lack and our humble estate.

Blane

Comment

Psalm 91:2 is a cool "fortress" scripture verse

The blue verse below is Psalm 91:2. Also included are verses 1 & 3 for context purposes only. Psalm 91:2 could fit nicely under the forum title and would replace, "Pursuing Christ...The Way, the Truth, and the Life." This new banner phrase would serve to expound upon who The Fortress of Truth is that we fellowship around. We may also want to include Jules Jesus Christ idea before the forum title. That would leave absolutely no doubt that we understand that Christ is our one and only Fortress of Truth.

Psalm 91:1-3

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                    I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

Comment

Jesus Christ: Our Fortress of Truth

I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Comment

I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (Psalm 91:2)
                        Smaller scripture verse font.

Comment

I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (Psalm 91:2)

Comment

This makes it clear who The Fortress of Truth is.

To my thinking, the chapter and verse can be included or not.

I am encouraged by the way everyone is working together to correct this error.

It is important to us all, that The Lord Jesus is honored above everyone and everything.

No one or nothing is His equal, yet alone above Him.

He is so far above everything and everyone that it is beyond our understanding.

He alone is worthy of honor

We see other groups heap honor and praise upon their leaders who are mere men.

They call them The Holy Father, Father, Pope, Reverend, Most Reverend, Pastor, The Watchman, The Prophet, etc.

There is only ONE who is worthy of any honor and praise

Comment

Here's what it might look if we change the word "our" to "The" and leave out the scripture address. That would solve the other glitch on the home page involving the word "the"....

Jesus Christ: The Fortress of Truth

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
                              This makes it clear who The Fortress of Truth is.

To my thinking, the chapter and verse can be included or not.

I am encouraged by the way everyone is working together to correct this error.

It is important to us all, that The Lord Jesus is honored above everyone and everything.

No one or nothing is His equal, yet alone above Him.

He is so far above everything and everyone that it is beyond our understanding.

He alone is worthy of honor

We see other groups heap honor and praise upon their leaders who are mere men.

They call them The Holy Father, Father, Pope, Reverend, Most Reverend, Pastor, The Watchman, The Prophet, etc.

There is only ONE who is worthy of any honor and praise

Amen and amen.

Blane

Comment

Working...
                              X