We Are Living in a Safe Time Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are Living in a Safe Time Window

I have posted articles which show that the earth is in a very fortunate place in space. If it was not for this fact there would be no life on earth.

But this article reveals that men are also in a very fortunate period of time.

These facts reveal that God created the universe for man to have life with Him. It also reveals that the universe is very old, just as God implies by calling Himself "The Ancient of Days".

We Are Living in a Safe Time Window

February 2, 2015

By Dr. Hugh Ross

Negotiating traffic on Southern California freeways is tricky. Not long ago, I witnessed a collision of several cars in my rearview mirror—if I had gotten on that freeway anywhere from a few seconds earlier to an hour later, I either could have been involved in the collision or delayed for my appointment. Just like I “happened to be” in a safe time window on the freeway, so astronomers have discovered that humanity lives in a safe time window for global high-technology civilization. We are residing at the optimal supernova moment.

A supernova is a stellar explosion that, for a few months, can outshine an entire galaxy (see figure). Supernovae are crucial for life—they generate many heavy elements, some essential just for life to exist and others essential for sustaining our technological civilization—but it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

Supernovae frequency influences the amount of radiation damage Earth and its life-forms sustain. Complex organisms suffer greater radiation damage from such eruptions—hence, one reason life history manifests gradual progress from simple and microscopic to complex and macroscopic to high-metabolism and large-bodied and, last of all, to human beings. Fortunately, over the past 4 billion years, the Milky Way Galaxy’s (MWG) rate of supernova explosions has subsided gradually. As it is, the present rate of supernova eruptions in the solar system’s vicinity is just low enough for humans to thrive and sustain civilization.

Proximity of supernova explosions also impacts life. For example, 2 million years ago the solar system passed within 130 light-years of the Scorpius-Centaurus association of giant stars.1 Deep ocean crust samples reveal an excess of iron-60 (the signature of a supernova explosion) that also dates to 2 million years ago, as does the most recent marine extinction event.2 In the last 300,000 years at least 23 supernovae have exploded within 980 light-years of Earth.3 Four of these erupted between 22,000–44,000 years ago at distances ranging from 360 to 820 light-years (see table 1).4

Humanity, however, has experienced an amazing stroke of “good fortune.” Throughout the historical era no supernovae have erupted closer than 1,500 light-years (see table 2).5 At such a distance the cosmic rays emanating from these explosions pose no threat to Earth’s ozone shield or its stable climate (both critical requirements for intensive agriculture) or to human health.

Table 1: Recent Nearby Supernova Explosions

date (years ago) distance from Earth (light-years)
    44,000 360
    37,000 590
    32,000 520
    22,000 820

Table 2: Supernova Explosions in the Historical Era

date distance from Earth (light-years)

AD 1006 1,560
    AD 1054 2,000
    AD 1181 3,200
    AD 1572 2,300
    AD 1604 2,900
    AD 1671 3,400
    ~ AD 1680 11,000

Ancient astronomers recorded much dimmer astronomical phenomena, such as novae and comets, from 3000 BC to AD 1000. Therefore, with considerable confidence historians conclude that no nearby supernovae occurred during this time span.

If they occurred today, supernovae as near as the ones recorded in table 2 could conceivably damage satellite electronics. However, astronomers have demonstrated that throughout the past 344 years no supernovae have erupted within 10,000 light-years of Earth (good news for cell phone users). This lack of supernovae is all the more remarkable given that for MWG analogs the supernova rate is at least three per century.6

Psalm 147 tells us that God “determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name.” Evidently, He has also designed the MWG so that the just-right stars at the just-right times reside in the just-right locations within the vicinity of our solar system. Thanks to God’s meticulous control of the supernova rate within our galactic vicinity, we have enjoyed all the resources needed to propel human civilization. We also have the presently safe galactic environment in which we can enjoy civilization and use it to take God’s redemptive offer to every nation, tribe, language, and people group (Revelation 7:9).

Figure: Supernova Eruption in the Galaxy NGC 4528
    This supernova (lower left) erupted in 1994.
    Image credit: NASA/ESA/Hubble Key Project Team/High-Z Supernova Search Team

Subjects: Galaxy Design

Dr. Hugh Ross

Reasons to Believe emerged from my passion to research, develop, and proclaim the most powerful new reasons to believe in Christ as Creator, Lord, and Savior and to use those new reasons to reach people for Christ. Read more about Dr. Hugh Ross.

References:

1.Narciso Benítez, Jesús Maíz-Apellániz, and Matilde Canelles, “Evidence for Nearby Supernova Explosions,” Physical Review Letters 88 (February 25, 2002): id. 081101.
    2.Ibid.
    3.R. B. Firestone, “Observation of 23 Supernovae That Exploded <300 pc from Earth during the Past 300 kyr,” Astrophysical Journal 789 (July 1, 2014): id. 29.
    4.Ibid., 3–4.
    5.Ibid., 2.
    6.Weidong Li et al., “Nearby Supernova Rates from the Lick Observatory Supernova Search. III. The Rate-Size Relation, and the Rates as a Function of Galaxy Hubble-Type and Colour,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 412, no. 3 (April 2011): 1473–507; Or Graur, Federica B. Bianco, and Maryam Modjaz, “A Unified Explanation for the Supernova Rate-Galaxy Mass-Dependency Based on Supernovae Discovered in Sloan Galaxy Spectra,” submitted to the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, last revised December 31, 2014: arXiv:1412
    http://www.reasons.org/articles/we-a...fe-time-window

Thanks, Lou

Comment

Fascinating article, Lou. Thanks for sharing. I love things that reveal the majesty, wisdom, and vastness of Almighty God.

Blane

Comment

I agree with the Linda and Blane. Thanks, Lou.

I really enjoy these articles. I don't have a bag of anecdotes and facts to contribute in reply, but I do really enjoy them. Even more since I've come to know that the cosmos is not cold, random nature, but a labor of divine love and artistic genius.

Comment

Thanks Linda, Blane, and Barry for the comments.......................Lou

Comment

I, too, very much enjoy reading these articles, Lou!

To see how our galaxy was placed "just so"...
            To see how our solar system was arranged "just so"...
            To see how our planet was formed "just so"...
            To see how life is only possible because of so many "just so's"...
            To see how the Bible had already described it all thousands of years ago...

How could anyone study even one of these and not see that this is no accident at all?
            You know not what you do because you know not who He is.
            - Paul Washer
            Satan is the angel of knowledge and he does not waste his time on anything for no reason.
            - Lou Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
              I, too, very much enjoy reading these articles, Lou!

To see how our galaxy was placed "just so"...
              To see how our solar system was arranged "just so"...
              To see how our planet was formed "just so"...
              To see how life is only possible because of so many "just so's"...
              To see how the Bible had already described it all thousands of years ago...

How could anyone study even one of these and not see that this is no accident at all?
              Amen Julie..................Lou

Comment

This was sent to me by Glen B Smith, who is a pastor of a large church in Dallas Texas, in response to this article:

Are we living in a safe time window?

Doctrinally orthodox theologians and Bible commentaries and Church histories written by believing scholars have oft pointed out the relevance of events to the purpose of Divine Providence. As in the Star of Bethlehem, the plagues on Egypt, the parting of the Sea of Reeds, the collapse of the walls of Jericho, David slaying Goliath, the Babylonian captivity, the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple, the conversion of Emperor Constantine, the rise of the Reformation, and an untold number of unexplainable decision by both military and political leaders – the event is always at the right time for the purposes of God. Maybe the event most often commented on is how the Pax Romana occurred at just the right time for the spread of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

T’is always been true in my little life – regardless of my attitude. Early on I was amazed by these inexplicable events. In early adulthood I erroneously believed Divine Providence in my life meant I was important. In maturity I understood God does this for all who will listen. Having the eyes to see what the angels see is a marvelous blessing.

That there are cosmic events made to fit the purposes of Divine Providence should be the expectation for the believer. After all, all of science and technology originates from the belief that the Creator caused a rational universe and through Divine Providence sustains an orderly cosmos. The Periodic Table is possible only because of Divine Providence. Divine Providence is the only reason man may have confidence in human reason. Divine Providence is the foundation of our hope. There are some who need reasons to believe while others who know enough of the nature of YHWH EL SHADDAI (YAHWEH GOD ALMIGHTY) neither to doubt nor attempt to demonstrate what is already revealed. Walking in faith is expecting God Almighty. What fun this is to know my God is bigger than the gods of this world! Yes, I live and die in a safe time window.

Pax Romana (Latin for "Roman peace")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Romana

Comment

“Do you believe in life after delivery?”

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:41 PM, Glen B Smith wrote:

In a mother’s womb were two babies.

One asked the other: “Do you believe in life after delivery?”

The other replied, “Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later.”

“Nonsense” said the first. “There is no life after delivery. What kind of life would that be?”

The second said, “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths. Maybe we will have other senses that we can’t understand now.”

The first replied, “That is absurd. Walking is impossible. And eating with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord supplies nutrition and everything we need. But the umbilical cord is so short. Life after delivery is to be logically excluded.”

The second insisted, “Well I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here. Maybe we won’t need this physical cord anymore.”

The first replied, “Nonsense. And moreover if there is life, then why has no one has ever come back from there? Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery there is nothing but darkness and silence and oblivion. It takes us nowhere.”

“Well, I don’t know,” said the second, “but certainly we will meet Mother and she will take care of us.”

The first replied “Mother? You actually believe in Mother? That’s laughable. If Mother exists then where is She now?”

The second said, “She is all around us. We are surrounded by her. We are of Her. It is in Her that we live. Without Her this world would not and could not exist.”

Said the first: “Well I don’t see Her, so it is only logical that She doesn’t exist.”

To which the second replied, “Sometimes, when you’re in silence and you focus and you really listen, you can perceive Her presence, and you can hear Her loving voice, calling down from above.”

unknown source

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
                    On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:41 PM, Glen B Smith wrote:

Pastor Smith is more than welcome to join the forum

Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
                      Pastor Smith is more than welcome to join the forum

Travis
                      Hi Travis,

I invited him to join when we first opened.

BTW, he goes by Glen Smith and does not use any title.

Lou

Comment

Oh, Ok. Cool.

Well Mr. Smith is certainly still free to join in on the fun =)

Travis

Comment

Amen. Not only free and more than welcome, but desired. I've enjoyed Glenn's comments enough that I regret not having said so already. But being a pastor I certainly understand the need not to over-commit and, and in general to follow the Lord's lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post
                            This was sent to me by Glen B Smith, who is a pastor of a large church in Dallas Texas, in response to this article:

Are we living in a safe time window?

Doctrinally orthodox theologians and Bible commentaries and Church histories written by believing scholars have oft pointed out the relevance of events to the purpose of Divine Providence. As in the Star of Bethlehem, the plagues on Egypt, the parting of the Sea of Reeds, the collapse of the walls of Jericho, David slaying Goliath, the Babylonian captivity, the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple, the conversion of Emperor Constantine, the rise of the Reformation, and an untold number of unexplainable decision by both military and political leaders – the event is always at the right time for the purposes of God. Maybe the event most often commented on is how the Pax Romana occurred at just the right time for the spread of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

T’is always been true in my little life – regardless of my attitude. Early on I was amazed by these inexplicable events. In early adulthood I erroneously believed Divine Providence in my life meant I was important. In maturity I understood God does this for all who will listen. Having the eyes to see what the angels see is a marvelous blessing.

That there are cosmic events made to fit the purposes of Divine Providence should be the expectation for the believer. After all, all of science and technology originates from the belief that the Creator caused a rational universe and through Divine Providence sustains an orderly cosmos. The Periodic Table is possible only because of Divine Providence. Divine Providence is the only reason man may have confidence in human reason. Divine Providence is the foundation of our hope. There are some who need reasons to believe while others who know enough of the nature of YHWH EL SHADDAI (YAHWEH GOD ALMIGHTY) neither to doubt nor attempt to demonstrate what is already revealed. Walking in faith is expecting God Almighty. What fun this is to know my God is bigger than the gods of this world! Yes, I live and die in a safe time window.

Pax Romana (Latin for "Roman peace")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Romana
                            Lou, thank you for forwarding Glen's comment.

Glen, what an energizing comment. It brings to mind what Lou said about why the apostles were told to tarry in Jerusalem to be endued with power.

He is God Almighty. After the pinnacle event culminating at Calvary, why would He make them tarry? Simply, He'd ordained the spiritual baptism to take place like a spiritual Big Bang at Pentecost, to maximum effect.

Generations of feasts insured that the Jews would be returning to God's city, where the temple is, in a short time window. It was naturally a hub of education and trade, and visitors would time their trip like tourists today do. These things normally drew men cyclically to a time and place. Numbers were further magnified by the prophecies heralding Messiah, and the signs and the news of wonders drawing many.

In short, God Almighty had meticulously arranged this morning to pour out His spirit upon men according to prophecy. To unsuspecting men, it was just another annual thing. Even Jesus' closest, the apostles, may have been surprised by that morning.

What an awesome wonder.

Man is wicked, unruly, and chaotic. He is double minded, but his feet continually run to evil, and to shed blood. So consistent that when Pax Romana was recognized it was novel and a mystery. The darkness comprehends not the light. It puts me in mind that surely Pax Romana--one of many marvelous, apparently inexplicable mysteries--are evidence of God working through the clay vessels of His servants.

Is there anything too hard for God? No, not winding up the clockwork of the heavens for a precise chime eons in the future. Not even man is too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                              Lou, thank you for forwarding Glen's comment.

Glen, what an energizing comment. It brings to mind what Lou said about why the apostles were told to tarry in Jerusalem to be endued with power.

He is God Almighty. After the pinnacle event culminating at Calvary, why would He make them tarry? Simply, He'd ordained the spiritual baptism to take place like a spiritual Big Bang at Pentecost, to maximum effect.

Generations of feasts insured that the Jews would be returning to God's city, where the temple is, in a short time window. It was naturally a hub of education and trade, and visitors would time their trip like tourists today do. These things normally drew men cyclically to a time and place. Numbers were further magnified by the prophecies heralding Messiah, and the signs and the news of wonders drawing many.

In short, God Almighty had meticulously arranged this morning to pour out His spirit upon men according to prophecy. To unsuspecting men, it was just another annual thing. Even Jesus' closest, the apostles, may have been surprised by that morning.

What an awesome wonder.

Man is wicked, unruly, and chaotic. He is double minded, but his feet continually run to evil, and to shed blood. So consistent that when Pax Romana was recognized it was novel and a mystery. The darkness comprehends not the light. It puts me in mind that surely Pax Romana--one of many marvelous, apparently inexplicable mysteries--are evidence of God working through the clay vessels of His servants.

Is there anything too hard for God? No, not winding up the clockwork of the heavens for a precise chime eons in the future. Not even man is too hard.
                              Good comment Barry. But I would like to point out one thing. God did not make anyone wait to receive His Holy Spirit.

Of course The Lord waited until men had come into Jerusalem for the apostles to preach to them.

But the apostles did not wait until that day to receive The Holy Spirit.

John 20
                              Jesus Appears to His Disciples
                              19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. 21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."
                              Certainly everything and anything obeys The Creator of everything that exists when He speaks. ( well except for demons and men) But certainly His Holy Spirit obeys The Lord.

When Jesus said, let there be light, there was light. The light did not come 40 days after he spoke.

The disciples received His Holy Spirit the very day He rose from the dead.

The Lord did not make them wait for His Holy Spirit.

They received His Holy Spirit as soon as they sought Jesus in the Spirit.

Someone might ask, why did they not receive His Holy Spirit BEFORE that day ?

Because they had Jesus in the flesh. They sought Jesus in the flesh and they received Jesus in the flesh. We receive what we seek.

But when Jesus died and was buried, they could not seek Him in the flesh. So they then sought Him in the Spirit and received His Holy Spirit that very day the same as we do today when we seek Him in the Spirit.

Then the Lord gave them 40 days to prepare and seek His face and learn The truth of the scriptures from the Holy Spirit.

For 40 days later the city would be full of people to preach the gospel to. Then The Lord would pour out His Holy Spirit on those men through the apostles.

Think about it. Would you send a preacher that was brand new and had no time to hear from the Lord in the Spirit. The Lord gave His Holy Spirit to the apostles the day they sought him in the Spirit and then gave them 40 days to be taught in the Spirit by The Holy Spirit. Then He had them preach the gospel on that day of Pentecost.

Lou Newton

Comment

Working...
                              X