Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dallas area has made the final five

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Dallas area has made the final five

    Amazon.com, the $136-billion-a-year internet colossus, has initiated a self-serving public bidding war over where it will locate its new corporate headquarters. The city and state that offer the largest bribe to this private enterprise will be “The Winner.”

    Rich Amazon doesn’t need and certainly doesn’t deserve any public handout, but officials in 238 cities have prostrated themselves in front of this Amazonian welfare queen in embarrassing bids to win her nod. Amazon’s executives even sent out a list of basic benefits they expect every applicant to deliver, including a “business-friendly environment and tax structure,” free land, a subsidy to reduce its operational costs, tax breaks, relocation grants for executives and workforce, reduced utility bills, and first-rate schools and an educated labor pool.

    As one analyst of Amazon’s scheme noted, “these incentives aren’t free. There’s no fairy godmother paying for them.”

    The result of such corporate giveaways might be that they cost the public more than they get back. By demanding such corporate spoils, Amazon is demanding bribes, not only taking our money, but also stealing our trust in the fairness of the system and widening inequality in our society.

    The winner will be Amazon with an unfair advantage over competition. With this unfair advantage this retail giant will drive other retailers out of business along with the jobs of these closing companies. We have seen this before – many times – it is the plain old American way called Wal-Martism – - the rich get richer while the rest of us applaud their subsidized profits while in our newly forced destitution. It is anything but free enterprise. It is corporate welfare. A godly congress and president ought to pass legislation making any governmental incentives for profitable companies illegal.

  • #2
    Originally posted by glen smith View Post
    Amazon.com, the $136-billion-a-year internet colossus, has initiated a self-serving public bidding war over where it will locate its new corporate headquarters. The city and state that offer the largest bribe to this private enterprise will be “The Winner.”

    Rich Amazon doesn’t need and certainly doesn’t deserve any public handout, but officials in 238 cities have prostrated themselves in front of this Amazonian welfare queen in embarrassing bids to win her nod. Amazon’s executives even sent out a list of basic benefits they expect every applicant to deliver, including a “business-friendly environment and tax structure,” free land, a subsidy to reduce its operational costs, tax breaks, relocation grants for executives and workforce, reduced utility bills, and first-rate schools and an educated labor pool.

    As one analyst of Amazon’s scheme noted, “these incentives aren’t free. There’s no fairy godmother paying for them.”

    The result of such corporate giveaways might be that they cost the public more than they get back. By demanding such corporate spoils, Amazon is demanding bribes, not only taking our money, but also stealing our trust in the fairness of the system and widening inequality in our society.

    The winner will be Amazon with an unfair advantage over competition. With this unfair advantage this retail giant will drive other retailers out of business along with the jobs of these closing companies. We have seen this before – many times – it is the plain old American way called Wal-Martism – - the rich get richer while the rest of us applaud their subsidized profits while in our newly forced destitution. It is anything but free enterprise. It is corporate welfare. A godly congress and president ought to pass legislation making any governmental incentives for profitable companies illegal.
    Very sad, but very true.

    With our government officials acting this way, small business will be driven out of business and we will end up with nothing but giant corporations in our nation.

    Large government that controls everything from education, entertainment, and business is part of the beast that is written about in Revelation.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm gonna flog my tired horse a bit. :) The incorporated states are starved for funding. Every decision they make is driven by funding, not the welfare of the people who pay for their service. A large portion of the funding they get is from the Feds; but this money has dried up due to trouble at the top.

      I agree. Corporations in the private sector should not be able to receive public assets--but these things have been happening for generations. Also, I believe monopolies ought to be proscribed. In a free market this Amazon situation, and many others, likely would have taken care of itself. But in the present system of crony capitalism fair play depends on corporate-govt regulation; therefore, fair play is a fairy tale.

      In short, this is by design. Amazon is buying up everything strategic that it can. It has been promised a place at the big table of global players. Politicians know the game. Fascism pays.

      Comment


      • #4
        It is the Feds' duty to govern international commerce; that means commerce between states as well as between America and abroad. If they were doing their duty, the Amazon situation would be under control. But the Feds can't afford to do their duty, even if they were inclined to.

        Lord help us.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Baruch View Post
          It is the Feds' duty to govern international commerce; that means commerce between states as well as between America and abroad. If they were doing their duty, the Amazon situation would be under control. But the Feds can't afford to do their duty, even if they were inclined to.

          Lord help us.
          Sad, but so true.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Baruch View Post
            I'm gonna flog my tired horse a bit. :) The incorporated states are starved for funding. Every decision they make is driven by funding, not the welfare of the people who pay for their service. A large portion of the funding they get is from the Feds; but this money has dried up due to trouble at the top.

            I agree. Corporations in the private sector should not be able to receive public assets--but these things have been happening for generations. Also, I believe monopolies ought to be proscribed. In a free market this Amazon situation, and many others, likely would have taken care of itself. But in the present system of crony capitalism fair play depends on corporate-govt regulation; therefore, fair play is a fairy tale.

            In short, this is by design. Amazon is buying up everything strategic that it can. It has been promised a place at the big table of global players. Politicians know the game. Fascism pays.
            Scary and heartbreaking for those who hope in the fairness of the kingdom of God.

            Are job incentive programs good for communities?
            January 23, 2018

            Governors and mayors insist that giving our tax dollars to corporations to lure them to move to our cities is good public policy, because the corporations create jobs, those workers pay taxes and – Voila – the corporate giveaway pays for itself! Really?
            No. Good Jobs First tracked the 386 incentive deals since 1976 that gave at least $50 million to a corporation, then it tallied the number of jobs created. The average cost per job was $658,427. Each! That’s far more than cities and states can recover through sales, property, income and all other taxes those jobholders would pay in their lifetimes.

            The rosy job-creation claims by incentive dealmakers also tend to be bogus, for they don’t subtract the number of jobs lost as a result of these deals. Amazon, for example, has leaned on officials in every major metro area to subsidize its creation of a nationwide network of warehouses, data centers, and other facilities. In a 2016 report titled Amazon’s Stranglehold, the Institute for Local Self-Reliance found that more than half of Amazon’s facilities had been built with government subsidies. And Good Jobs First found that since 2005, Amazon has received more than $1 billion from taxpayers to build their private business.

            Each handout was made in the name of local workers, and, yes, Amazon does employ thousands. But the subsidies enable the retail giant to undercut local, unsubsidized competitors, driving them out of business and causing devastating job losses that greatly outnumber jobs gained. The Institute reports that at the end of 2015, Amazon did indeed employ 146,000 people in its US operations, but the taxpayer-supported giant had meanwhile eliminated some 295,000 US retail jobs.

            Check out the report for yourself at ilsr.org/amazon-stranglehold.

            Comment


            • #7
              I can't argue with that, Glen. I saw a video on Jan 15, 2018 of a ride down a bike path in Orange County: 8 minutes of tent city. It just went on and on and on. One commented that it is like that in the surrounding counties, as well.

              In theory all of this could be fixed if the shared agenda were not to destroy America as an economic power. That's a heavy accusation, I know, but the evidence is voluminous; and like all fraud and graft its facade is cleverly deceptive, because of which it succeeds.

              Ironically, our justice system was designed to be very careful: the ideal is that 10 guilty men should go free rather than 1 innocent man go to jail. In an honest and moral society this can work. But the corporations and their civil courts mock justice; and they can only do this because the honest and moral people of America fell asleep long ago, letting the public agents run amok, and remain sleep to this day. The present construct protects the criminal club members, and convicts the innocent. The foundation is not yet destroyed (not for lack of trying), but... If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

              It's also ironic that incorporated govt practices these grants to bring in business. Obviously it does the opposite. So I'm inclined to call it a bald faced lie. Incorporated govt is protecting itself, it can no longer milk the public trust because they are empty husks (due to corporate fraud), so it must turn to the corporate sector to pay its bills. The irony is that corporate graft caused this situation... and corporate graft is the fix?

              It was said in 2008 that perhaps those banks deemed "too big to fail" should have been left to fail. I see this as a broadly more applicable lesson. Dangerous, painful. But since fiat is play money anyway, the capitalists could regroup and recoup without killing the people they supposedly serve. Jubilee didn't destroy Israel, and I read somewhere that another ancient empire ( Phoenicia?) practiced a similar kind of reset. But there is something else afoot here.

              I don't think we hope in the fairness of the kingdom of God. It has an economy based on equity in which we cannot hold up our end. I hope in the abundant grace and mercy of God. If He dealt with me fairly, I would be bound to hell, which I have fairly earned. But instead I have been blessed with a share in all the promises given to Christ or Lord, which I did not earn. How fair is that great exchange? This is one reason why there is none like Him, none beside Him, none before or after Him.

              Comment


              • #8
                Anyone with an open mind and the ability to reason well; should be able to see that Obama was trying to bring our nation down. The US citizen, who is armed, is what stands in the way of the global government.

                Of course Christians that pray and trust wholly in Jesus are even more of a roadblock to global government.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lou, posted: Anyone with an open mind and the ability to reason well; should be able to see that Obama was trying to bring our nation down.

                  Well, accordingly, I do not have “an open mind and the ability to reason.”
                  Personally, I doubt President Obama’s agenda was to destroy the government of the USA.
                  I do not see conspiracy in his presidency but philosophical idealism.
                  I suspect he held idealistic liberal views of justice and fairness among nations, while he sees the USA as something of a bully. He seemed to think a pseudo weakness would make a better image for the USA and produce a better response from other nations. His background and lack of political experience determined his leadership. His brand of naive liberalism formed a foreign policy that looked as if he was attempting the destruction of the USA.

                  In his opposition to evangelical Christianity he took every occasion to diminish the legitimacy of Christianity. His collaboration with Islam and appointment of Muslims to federal office had more to do with confronting the influence of evangelical Christians than being Muslim. The same can be seen in his appointments of homosexuals.

                  Elements of his sense of fairness and ethics are anti biblical Christianity.
                  In addition to these influences upon his leadership there is his blatant Afro-America racism sentiment against non blacks.
                  Mr. Obama is an excellent example of someone thinking their own ideas are the correct ones. Are we not all guilty of this charge?

                  Definition: philosophical idealism - a 19th century German philosophy associated with G. W. F. Hegal
                  truth is singular - only one truth
                  truth is knowable - as made in propositional statements
                  truth is of ultimate value- therefore truth has authority
                  Accordingly, everything is permissible in support of the truth.

                  Idealism is the foundational philosophy (the way we think as defined above) for competing positions.
                  Nazism
                  Communism
                  Christian fundamentalism
                  and others where truth is singular, knowable, and ultimate.
                  This philosophical description of thinking fits some who are Republicans and Democrats, and President Trump.

                  I am almost an idealist in faith
                  truth is singular - only one truth
                  truth is knowable but the complete knowledge of the truth is limited due being human
                  But what has ultimate value is a relationship with the Lord rather than assenting and conforming to a propositional truth.

                  I am an idealist in epistemology - How do we know?
                  truth is singular - only one truth
                  truth is knowable and is recorded only in the Bible
                  truth, as recorded in the Bible, is of ultimate value for guiding faith.

                  There are many other idealistic perspectives for epistemology - How do we know?
                  guru
                  Quran
                  mysticism
                  divine revelation
                  reason
                  etc.
                  Last edited by glen smith; January 26, 2018, 03:32 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X