Why Am No Longer An Atheist Jordan Peterson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Am No Longer An Atheist Jordan Peterson

Here is a video that has some profound questions and thoughts about those questions:

I hope some will watch this video. This man was an atheist and now believes in God. He makes many profound observations.

Comment

Jordan B. Peterson is University of Toronto clinical psychologist and social psychologist professor. Exploring the internet will find a lot of info about him.

One of the aspects of his popularity is that his presentations are copied, spliced together, and placed under a title that suits the editor. I suspect that this video, Why Am No Longer An Atheist Jordan Peterson, is such a high jacked video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9jAKvejRs) because it is presented by the Conservatism web site:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2g..._Zgp4_dsCwMbVQ
      --------------------
      Comment by glen
      After reading more on his beliefs, the language of Jordan Peterson can be misunderstood if one applies their own understanding to terms rather than his.

After his expose' on science he suggests there ought to be more than one way of looking at the world or using different worldviews for different purposes as in science, practical, and useful things and another for meaning and values.

In such a case, one worldview will have a higher value and might be considered true while the other worldview is just useful.
      Jordan Peterson exposes this dichotomy of values without describing any consequences. Instead he encourages such a dichotomy as a way of being scientific and mythical at the same time.
      -------------------
      The Christian web page by Chris Antenucci presented this opinion.
      Why Jordan Peterson has more in common with atheists than Christians
      https://medium.com/@chrisantenucci/w...s-f4950c87dd6b
      I know nothing else about Chris Antenucci.
      ----------------------
      Is Dr. Jordan Peterson an atheist?
      Article by Nicholas Balcolm - February 8, 2017
      https://www.quora.com/Is-Dr-Jordan-Peterson-an-atheist
      After reading the article referenced from The Chronicle Review this summary appears to me to be fair.

He’s an atheist who discovered what believers are ignorant of, and what skeptics could never imagine; he figured out what makes religious ideas true.
      You might call him a meta-theist.
      He’s right there with Nietzsche when he says “God is dead, we have killed him, and we shall never find enough water to wash away the blood.”
      But he gets the fact that that's an enormous problem.
      So he’s in the trenches with Dostoyevsky and Solzhenitsyn, getting a grip on the problem of evil.
      And he's digging up the bones of alchemists with Jung.
      You might call him an unbeliever who’s hell-bent on resurrecting God.
      ------------------

The Chronicle Review:
      What’s So Dangerous About Jordan Peterson?
      By Tom Bartlett January 17, 2018
      https://www.chronicle.com/article/Wh...s-About/242256
      This is well written, lengthy article. The title is not what the article proposes.
      If one has the background to understand and apply the references this article aids in understanding Jordan Peterson.
      ------------------------------
      Interesting note:

Jordan Peterson believes that the insistence on the use of gender-neutral pronouns is rooted in postmodernism, which he sees as thinly disguised Marxism. The imposition of Marxism led to the state-sponsored slaughter of millions. For Peterson, then, the mandated use of gender-neutral pronouns isn’t just a case of political correctness run amok. It’s much more serious than that. When he refers to the "murderous ideology" of postmodernism, he means it literally.

I would be surprised if Jordan Peterson used quotes or stories from the NIV or other gender-neutral English versions.
      ---------------------
      I am wondering why someone with views like Dr. Jordan Peterson would have various videos spliced together to be a representative of a poster child for not being an atheist when his ideas for not being an atheist are psychological, social, and philosophical rather than biblical?
      Maybe this is why?
      Accordingly, let me quote from a friend of mine:
      “I care not what mere men say or believe, for God tells us that all men are lairs. To preserve their doctrines and what they have taught they will claim that what they say is true and what God says is not true. The words that God says are totally true. He is The Truth and can not lie.”

Comment

After listening to an hour long interview with Robert B. Peterson the following will clearly represent his position on the Christian faith.

Here is a video of Jordan B. Peterson answering about his religious belief.
        It is not about Catholic Faith.
        61: Jordan B. Peterson finally asked about the Catholic Faith
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iaERTETvE
        start at
        Time 33:20 – 43:30 & 52:00 - 55:00

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
          After listening to an hour long interview with Robert B. Peterson the following will clearly represent his position on the Christian faith.

Here is a video of Jordan B. Peterson answering about his religious belief.
          It is not about Catholic Faith.
          61: Jordan B. Peterson finally asked about the Catholic Faith
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5iaERTETvE
          start at
          Time 33:20 – 43:30 & 52:00 - 55:00
          I did not post this video as an example of true Christian faith. I posted it because this man who was an atheist has seen good reasons to believe in God. He also puts forth some profound questions and ideas that we all can learn from.

We should be able to learn from the least of the least.

Instead of being so critical, I would have hoped someone would have commented on some of his profound questions and ideas

Comment

It is misleading to assume Jordan Paterson believes in God in the same way Christians do. He is promoting metaphysical philosophy concerning the idea of God which is similar to that of Jung and Nietzsche. His profound questions and ideas seem profound by people who think in Christian terms. If a person uncovers what he means by his terms and statements it is not a lot different from new age ideas about the metaphysical. Student of philosophy have been introduced to others who have made similar metaphysical arguments. What has provided notoriety among the political right to Jordan Paterson is his position supporting some conservative positions using his metaphysical ideas.

The method of influence Jordan Paterson has on young, naive college students is also observed by liberals influencing young, naive college students. His arguments will not make students believe in the Christian God. Christian philosophers and theologians will not find his questions and ideas revealing. My suggestion is for Christian laity to depend upon recognized Christian apologist for presenting positions defending the ideas for believing in God. Does Jordan Paterson make useful arguments? Yes, for philosophical comparison and arguments.

Comment

For the study of the philosophy of religion my suggestion is a book by John Hick.

John Hick was arguably one of the most important and influential philosophers of religion of the second half of the twentieth century. As a British philosopher in the anglo-analytic tradition, Hick did groundbreaking work in religious epistemology, philosophical theology, and religious pluralism.

His book, Philosophy of Religion (1974), is the introduction point for all philosophical discussions on religion. This book will get the student up to speed to understand the concepts. However, it is best to explore the content in the framework of a college seminar where ideas may be clarified and corrected. The revised edition features an updated discussion on the main topics in the philosophy of religion: the concept of God - grounds for belief in God - ground for disbelief in God - the problem of evil - revelation and faith - problems of religious language - the conflicting falsifiability of religious assertions - the conflicting truth-claims of different religions - human destiny and more.

Sumner B. Twiss of Brown University has written an excellent followup to Hick's thesis developed after 1974 in a chapter of his book, The Philosophy of Religious Pluralism: A critical Appraisal of Hick and His Critics

The Philosophy of Religious Pluralism: A critical Appraisal of Hick and His Critics*

For well over a decade now (1990), John Hick has been publishing important, illuminating, and provocative articles about the nature of religion and the meaning of religious diversity.1 His main thesis is that there is an underlying unity to this diversity that explicated as a set of differential responses to a transcendent reality conceived and perceived in alternative ways by different cultural and religious traditions. In effect, this is a thesis about the higher transcendental unity of all religions. (Ideas like this have been picked up by Jordan Peterson.) This is an important thesis for a philosopher to propound at this time because there are signs that the philosophy of religion is becoming an increasingly comparative and cross-cultural discipline, with a concomitant need to make sense of diversity of religions. (Again, ideas like this have been picked up by Jordan Peterson.) Hick’s thesis, the core of his emerging philosophy of religious pluralism, is one of coherent response to this need.

Needless to say, Hick’s work on the philosophy of religious pluralism has generated considerable critical response in journal literature.

Perspective: Unless a Bible student feels the urge to better understand philosophy of religion and the arguments concerning a divine existence, my opinion is he is better off solidifying in his own mind why the Bible is true. A book written for all of us and which covers the historical aspect of the life of Christ is the book by Lee Strobel The Case for Christ. There are other Christian apologetics for there existing a God.

Comment

Working...
              X