Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Osmosis

Hey all,

I've been looking around at reverse osmosis systems that are out there. I've just really been looking at under the counter ones, nothing too fancy. I was curious if anyone had any experience with such and knew of any particular models or brands that are good.

I don't need anything hardcore, just something reliable and built to last.

Thanks ahead of time,

Travis

Originally posted by Travis View Post
    Hey all,

I've been looking around at reverse osmosis systems that are out there. I've just really been looking at under the counter ones, nothing too fancy. I was curious if anyone had any experience with such and knew of any particular models or brands that are good.

I don't need anything hardcore, just something reliable and built to last.

Thanks ahead of time,

Travis
    Hi Travis,

I think Steve would know quite a bit about these. If he does not happen to reply, you may want to PM him about it.

Lou

Comment

Hey Travis,
      Lou is correct. I can and will help you.
      What are you looking to accomplish? You can call me if you want at 7329408751. Or whatever is comfortable for you. ..... Steve

Comment

Hey, thanks Steve,

I forgot, you are a plumber aren't you.

I'm looking for a basic under the sink reverse osmosis filter, probably a 5 stage one, Nothing fancy. It would only be used for drinking water and cooking for the most part, so it wouldn't need to put out very many gallons per day. Something simple and reliable, that puts out quality drinking water is all I need, doesn't have to be perfect by any means either. Adding minerals back in would be nice, but not necessary either. My water pressure should be adequate in and of itself, so I don't think a pump of any sort would be required.

Have you installed or dealt with very many RO systems?

This is towards the upper end of what I was looking at:

http://sterlingwatertreatment.com/wp...ies-042211.pdf

This was another one that would be easy to get because I could just nab it at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_136858-86921...=#BVRRWidgetID

There's just so many models out there and a lot of bad reviews around the board that I find it hard to determine what's good and what's not.

Regarding installation. I was thinking about putting it in myself. I worked a couple years for a Master Plumber/Master Mechanic and did a little bit of plumbing here and there with him. If I can't get it done, I do know exactly who to call though.

Thanks for the phone number. If I really need to talk to someone about it, I'll give you a call. If you see a 785 area code number, it's me.

Travis

Comment

Hey Travis,
          Smart move getting an RO system.
          It's a waste of money to spend for a high end unit as they are all basically the same. The filters are the important part and they are simply installed in a housing with someone's name on it.
          Www.reverseosmosis..com
          Www.maxwaterflow.com
          The second one is the cheapest price but both are very good. Filters get at.www.filtersfast.com
          The RO membrane lasts about 3 or 4 years.
          Filters are cheap.
          Don't over spend.
          5 stage is fine unless you have a bacteria issue then you need to chlorinate first.
          I hope this helps and by the way, I am an electrician not a plumber by trade but I have a great deal of exposure to it.
          Please don't hesitate to call me if you need to. Blessings. ..... Steve

Comment

Oops, electrician, not plumber. My bad.

I was close in one sense I guess, you are kind of like an electron plumber. Most HVAC, Electrical, and Plumbing guys I run into have a lot of overlap in terms of knowing what all the others do and how they do it as well. Handy men are usually pretty handy across the board. So that doesn't surprise me you know about this stuff too.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
              Oops, electrician, not plumber. My bad.

I was close in one sense I guess, you are kind of like an electron plumber. Most HVAC, Electrical, and Plumbing guys I run into have a lot of overlap in terms of knowing what all the others do and how they do it as well. Handy men are usually pretty handy across the board. So that doesn't surprise me you know about this stuff too.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Travis
              No bad brother. You didn't know.
              Besides, you are correct that most or a lot of tradesman cross trades. If for no other reason than to save the money. When one is a tradesman, one is usually unwilling to pay another tradesman to do something knowing that we can probably do it ourselves.
              So I learned by installing this stuff in my house first and then I added it to the menu of services to my customers. I have the whole house filter from maxwaterflow in a tipple setup and an RO system for drinking and cooking as well as ice from reverseosmosis.com. Then there are all the many different types of filters. Sediment or heavy metals, or chlorine/flouride.
              I highly recommend having your water tested to determine the contaminants.
              Ewatertest.com is reasonable. Some supply houses do it for free. But they are hard to find.
              BTW: I hold licenses for electric and HVAC but no plumbing.
              I hope this helps you. ..... Steve
              Last edited by Steve Hollander; December 14, 2014, 12:47 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...
              X