X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start a fire without brake cleaner

Hope my title made you laugh, Lou.

How to Start a Fire in the Rain: An Illustrated Guide

We did something like this, but our approach was more hillbilly than scientific.

Here is another good article for those who like camping and prepping ideas.

The Ultimate Firestarter: How to Make Char Cloth

It would have been good to know these things before I went camping in the rain.

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
    Hope my title made you laugh, Lou.

How to Start a Fire in the Rain: An Illustrated Guide

We did something like this, but our approach was more hillbilly than scientific.

Here is another good article for those who like camping and prepping ideas.

The Ultimate Firestarter: How to Make Char Cloth

It would have been good to know these things before I went camping in the rain.

Thanks Barry, you made me laugh. It our defense, we could not do these things the guide suggests, because we were in a state park. The fire had to be built in their fire pit which was out in the open and when it rained hard, there was no way we could start a fire. But these things are good to know in an emergency. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks also for the char cloth directions. I don't think even char cloth would have worked that night considering the fire pit was in the open and it was raining very hard. Later after the rain slowed the char cloth would have helped a lot.
    Last edited by Lou Newton; November 7, 2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Thanks Barry, you made me laugh. It our defense, we could not do these things the guide suggests, because we were in a state park. The fire had to be built in their fire pit which was out in the open and when it rained hard, there was no way we could start a fire. But these things are good to know in an emergency. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks also for the char cloth directions. I don't think even char cloth would have worked that night considering the fire pit was in the open and it was raining very hard. Later after the rain slowed the char cloth would have helped a lot.
      Yes, and the park probably would not have liked us cutting bark off their trees. Even if we had char cloth, the material we scrounged was possibly too damp. I remember how the breeze blew out the water resistant match, and we almost lost the last one in the same manner. Maybe we should contribute an article to AOM: How to start a fire with brake cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

Yes, and the park probably would not have liked us cutting bark off their trees. Even if we had char cloth, the material we scrounged was possibly too damp. I remember how the breeze blew out the water resistant match, and we almost lost the last one in the same manner. Maybe we should contribute an article to AOM: How to start a fire with brake cleaner.

Well we found out that it sure works. That can of brake cleaner was like a little flame thrower. Of course if anyone is going to try this, I suggest they do it with extreme caution.

I have a magnesium fire starter that works really good. It is just a rod of magnesium that you strike with a knife blade and a little piece of magnesium will flake off that is on fire. Magnesium burns with a very hot flame. If the metal rod gets wet, it does not stop it from working at all.

Comment

Working...
        X