I need advise about buying new mattress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advise about buying new mattress

My shoulder had been painful from sleeping on it for some time. So I tried to sleep on the other shoulder. But it started hurting some time ago.

I called my chiropractor and he told me I needed to buy a new mattress that had individual coils and memory foam padding on top of the coils. That should relieve the pressure on my shoulders when I sleep on my side.

I have tried to sleep on my back or stomach but can not get to sleep that way. I also called the place that I went to for physical therapy on my shoulder and they gave me the same advise about buying the same kind of mattress.

So today I finally gave in and went mattress shopping. After all my mattress is way over ten years old and is sagging in the middle.

I was simply floored when I seen the prices of these kind of mattresses. They had mattresses there for $5000, yes $5000 for one. I paid $250 for the last on I bought, but it was a fairly cheap one. So that may be part of my shoulder problem. I was hoping I could get one for $500.

But a mattress with individual coils and a memory foam top was $1500. It was on sale for $1300. It was very comfortable. The guy was very nice ( here his Dad was my instructor for dynamics and he was a very good teacher) and he got on the computer to find the lowest price around for that mattress. He found it for $1007 on sale at a local store. He said he was allowed to match that price plus take another $100 off and that would be $906.

I was still in shock and thanked him and then left.

Does anyone have any advise of where to buy a mattress like the one recommended for less money ?

I went to Sam's Club and they had one for about $700 BUT it was not near as comfortable on my shoulder. But $700 is a lot of money.

If The Lord reveals anything to you about this, like what else I can do instead of a new mattress etc, or somewhere that has a mattress like that for less money; please post the info.

Thank you,
    Lou

Hi Lou,

You might want to consider buying a $300 mattress. Then put the best mattress topper with memory foam you can find, on top of it. Mattress toppers usually run about $100.

Blane

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
      Hi Lou,

You might want to consider buying a $300 mattress. Then put the best mattress topper with memory foam you can find, on top of it. Mattress toppers usually run about $100.

Blane

Thanks for the reply Blane. That is good advise normally, but I already tried that. ( well I put the topper on my old mattress) I still had shoulder pain. I should have mentioned it.

That is why I was advised to buy the individual coil mattress. The one that seemed to work, when I laid on it for some time, did not make my shoulder hurt.

It had a lot of very small coils ( 1000 of them). The small coils can be very soft and still support the body because there are so many of them. When I put my fist down into the mattress it was very easy to put it deep into the mattress. Others with less coils were much harder to put my fist into.

I was pretty amazed at the difference between mattresses that had 1000 individual coils and say 700 individual coils.

I just wanted to see if anyone knew of a place to but one cheaper than $900. Also I am open to other ideas.

Thanks for the reply Blane. I was so nice to talk to you again.

How is everything with you. I hope your family vacation went well.

Lou

Comment

Just my thoughts but if you're willing to spend over $1000 on a rifle you shoot very rarely, why not take advantage of the offer of $900 to sleep well and get out of pain? Almost 1/3 of your life is spent on a mattress.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hollander View Post
          Just my thoughts but if you're willing to spend over $1000 on a rifle you shoot very rarely, why not take advantage of the offer of $900 to sleep well and get out of pain? Almost 1/3 of your life is spent on a mattress.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply Steve. Probably very good advise. I guess I can not defend my family with a mattress and so it seemed selfish to spend so much for a personal thing. But I also need a new mattress so Isaac and his wife, and other guests can have a good place to sleep.

I also had planned to save some of my tutoring money. But that may not be possible. I may need to get the mattress that seems to rid me of the pain.

I have been praying about it and it may be that The Lord is telling me the same thing you are telling me.

Comment

Hi Lou,
            You are much better off with a good mattress and a chance for a good night sleep. You can't protect your family if you're exhausted from little or no sleep. The young folks are able to sleep on the floor let alone a cheap or old mattress. But you need a better quality one for a better quality sleep and a better quality life with enough rest. I have been preaching this to you for some time. Some people spend over a hundred thousand dollars on a car and go cheap on a mattress. That 900 dollar deal is hard to beat.

Comment

Hi Lou,
              You are much better off with a good mattress and a chance for a good night sleep. You can't protect your family if you're exhausted from little or no sleep. The young folks are able to sleep on the floor let alone a cheap or old mattress. But you need a better quality one for a better quality sleep and a better quality life with enough rest. Some people spend over a hundred thousand dollars on a car and go cheap on a mattress. That 900 dollar deal is hard to beat.

Comment

Hi Lou,
                You are much better off with a good mattress and a chance for a good night sleep. You can't protect your family if you're exhausted from little or no sleep. The young folks are able to sleep on the floor let alone a cheap or old mattress. But you need a better quality one for a better quality sleep and a better quality life with enough rest. Some people spend over a hundred thousand dollars on a car and go cheap on a mattress. That 900 dollar deal is hard to beat.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I think you are right and I am considering it.

Another thing that made it difficult for me to think about, is a mattress is a consumable item. In time it is used up and worthless.

But a firearm is a investment and it better than putting money in the bank.

I was in a store to get a box of ammo the other day and seen two Browning High Power pistols for $1100 each used. I remembered buying a brand new one for $90 years ago. I sold it s few years later for $250. My pistol was nicer than either that had the $1100 price tag. If I had kept the High Power that I paid $90 for, it would have been a far better investment than putting $90 in the bank. I do not remember ever selling a gun that I did not make money on.

I do not have any stocks or bonds or a savings account. My firearms are my only savings account.

Comment

I understand that you have no savings. Most of us have no savings these days. I have to sell things from time to time to get by. But firearms don't retain their value. I always lost every time I sold a firearm. I understand justification for what we want but sometimes we have to do without what we want for what we need.

Comment

I understand that you have no savings. Most of us have no savings these days. I have to sell things from time to time to get by. But firearms don't retain their value. I always lost every time I sold a firearm. I understand justification for what we want but sometimes we have to do without what we want for what we need.

I agree with what you say about need vs want.

But my experience with firearms is different than yours. You do not live in a free state. Firearms are so regulated in NJ that the market is very limited there. You pay a lot for them and you get less when you sell. This is a result of government intervention in the free market. The price is high to buy because they make it difficult to obtain. But the private owner has a difficult time selling because of the regulations, so they get a low price.

But in Ohio it is different. the market for firearms here is more like a free market should be. We can buy them for less money and we get more when we sell. The price is lower because many are available. The demand is high because it is not regulated and the private seller can often get more than the price on the internet for the same firearm. There are many who want what they want now, and do not want to wait for it from the internet. They are often willing to pay full retail.

I do not buy a firearm unless the price is well below the market value. I do not sell unless the price is at market value.

I paid $150 for the last firearm I bought. I bought it because the price was far below market value. It had a broken front sight. I ordered one for $10 and installed it. I have been offered $600 for it since I repaired it. I purchased it at a local gun store. I think they thought it had many problems and also did not know the value of it. I was convinced it only needed cleaned and the front sight replaced.

Have you seen this:

https://forum.lounewton.com/forum/in...d/6280-acts-13

or this:

https://forum.lounewton.com/forum/th...a-attack-woman

Comment

Hi, Lou,

I agree with Steve, who gives good advice about this. In the hierarchy of needs sleep is near the top. You have invested in meeting other needs. It seems it is time to invest in this one. It may last the rest of your sojourn in this world.

You might consider a renewable mattress, like hay or straw. <pause........> It's a joke! =)

Now, seriously, for a mattress as good as the one you're considering $900 is almost a steal.

I got a memory foam mattress for $600 on sale several years ago. It is not "very comfy", but it is comfy enough for me. I don't think it would fare better with a different box spring.

Years ago I saw advertisements on TV for a configurable bed with air cells. It comes with a remote that inflates the cells for personal comfort, and also raises to prop up the torso. Propping up the torso would, I think, take some of the load off your shoulder and shift it lower. I don't know if I'd recommend this, as it has electronics and moving (read: breakable) parts. You might ask your doctor about it. These are probably much more expensive than $900.

I also recommend HEPA covers for your mattress and pillow. These are microfiber in nature, and prevent dust, skin cells, and dust mites from working their way into the filling. This is kind of gross: after years of normal exposure a typical mattress will accumulate pounds of micro dust, and these can have a major impact on allergies.

You may need to move quickly on that $900 mattress, unless you could convince the man to give you a few days to "consult with your doctor"--and look for another option, but no need to mention that to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post
                        Hi, Lou,

I agree with Steve, who gives good advice about this. In the hierarchy of needs sleep is near the top. You have invested in meeting other needs. It seems it is time to invest in this one. It may last the rest of your sojourn in this world.

You might consider a renewable mattress, like hay or straw. <pause........> It's a joke! =)

Now, seriously, for a mattress as good as the one you're considering $900 is almost a steal.

I got a memory foam mattress for $600 on sale several years ago. It is not "very comfy", but it is comfy enough for me. I don't think it would fare better with a different box spring.

Years ago I saw advertisements on TV for a configurable bed with air cells. It comes with a remote that inflates the cells for personal comfort, and also raises to prop up the torso. Propping up the torso would, I think, take some of the load off your shoulder and shift it lower. I don't know if I'd recommend this, as it has electronics and moving (read: breakable) parts. You might ask your doctor about it. These are probably much more expensive than $900.

I also recommend HEPA covers for your mattress and pillow. These are microfiber in nature, and prevent dust, skin cells, and dust mites from working their way into the filling. This is kind of gross: after years of normal exposure a typical mattress will accumulate pounds of micro dust, and these can have a major impact on allergies.

You may need to move quickly on that $900 mattress, unless you could convince the man to give you a few days to "consult with your doctor"--and look for another option, but no need to mention that to him.
                        Well I went last night a got 12 bales of straw from my friend, Roy, for only $24. The bugs are terrible in them. But I saved a lot of money.

I do not know if I made myself clear about the independent coil springs. They are not in the box springs, but in the mattress itself. Then they put memory foam on top of the springs. It was the fact that the one had 1000 very small diameter springs in individual bags that made it so comfortable for my shoulders.

But I would hate to spend the $900 and find out that I still had shoulder pain from sleeping on it.

The HEPA covers are a very good idea. I do run the vacuum sweeper on my mattress about once a week.

I just did not want to buy without much consideration and prayer. I sure did not want to pay $900 and then have someone tell me that I could have bought the same mattress for $700 over the internet. It seems that a $1500 mattress for $900 is not too bad of a price.

I agree the memory foam by itself is not very comfortable. I tried one and did not care for it.

Comment

Lou wrote:
                          "But my experience with firearms is different than yours. You do not live in a free state. Firearms are so regulated in NJ that the market is very limited there. You pay a lot for them and you get less when you sell. This is a result of government intervention in the free market. The price is high to buy because they make it difficult to obtain. But the private owner has a difficult time selling because of the regulations, so they get a low price.

But in Ohio it is different. the market for firearms here is more like a free market should be. We can buy them for less money and we get more when we sell. The price is lower because many are available. The demand is high because it is not regulated and the private seller can often get more than the price on the internet for the same firearm. There are many who want what they want now, and do not want to wait for it from the internet. They are often willing to pay full retail.

I do not buy a firearm unless the price is well below the market value. I do not sell unless the price is at market value."

I agree this is a very restricted state, but the only times I needed to sell it was urgent I get the money. Those times did not give me the luxury of waiting for a buyer to give me my price. I had to go to the local sporting goods store and get what they offered. Even now if I want to sell a firearm in a hurry I will not get a good price for it.

Perhaps the Dan Wesson you bought would fetch you a good price, but you still have to sell it and get the money for it and ship it out and make sure it is to an FFL, etc. etc.

That is not a good investment. Especially when the laws change so often and are not consistent throughout the land. And should you need the money fast it would be hard to sell legally and for the price you desire.

Just like diamonds are a bad investment. They are to own in order to appreciate. That's it.

Guns definitely have a value but you can only use one at time so if needs be to survive I would sell all except one. I have had to do that a couple of times in my life. Not all but many and some were very prized by me. So I must disagree brother, weapons are nice to own but are not always a sure thing.

I am not sure what a sure thing to own is. Most of what I own cannot travel with me very far so it is really not mine unless I am here to protect it. If I have to leave in a hurry, I will own nothing. But that's what we leave here with anyway.

I hope that bed works out for you and helps your shoulders. I don't care for the memory foam. It did not work for me so I am using a high density foam mattress and it is firm and has not changed for over 10 years. I flip it over every now and then. I paid $899 for it 12 years ago.

I suppose I would pay whatever I had to in order to get a good night sleep.

Comment

Lou wrote:
                            "But my experience with firearms is different than yours. You do not live in a free state. Firearms are so regulated in NJ that the market is very limited there. You pay a lot for them and you get less when you sell. This is a result of government intervention in the free market. The price is high to buy because they make it difficult to obtain. But the private owner has a difficult time selling because of the regulations, so they get a low price.

I do not buy a firearm unless the price is well below the market value. I do not sell unless the price is at market value."

I agree this is a very restricted state, but the only times I needed to sell it was urgent I get the money. Those times did not give me the luxury of waiting for a buyer to give me my price. I had to go to the local sporting goods store and get what they offered. Even now if I want to sell a firearm in a hurry I will not get a good price for it.

Perhaps the Dan Wesson you bought would fetch you a good price, but you still have to sell it and get the money for it and ship it out and make sure it is to an FFL, etc. etc.

That is not a good investment. Especially when the laws change so often and are not consistent throughout the land. And should you need the money fast it would be hard to sell legally and for the price you desire.

Just like diamonds are a bad investment. They are to own in order to appreciate. That's it.

Guns definitely have a value but you can only use one at time so if needs be to survive I would sell all except one. I have had to do that a couple of times in my life. Not all but many and some were very prized by me. So I must disagree brother, weapons are nice to own but are not always a sure thing.

I am not sure what a sure thing to own is. Most of what I own cannot travel with me very far so it is really not mine unless I am here to protect it. If I have to leave in a hurry, I will own nothing. But that's what we leave here with anyway.

I hope that bed works out for you and helps your shoulders. I don't care for the memory foam. It did not work for me so I am using a high density foam mattress and it is firm and has not changed for over 10 years. I flip it over every now and then. I paid $899 for it 12 years ago.

I suppose I would pay whatever I had to in order to get a good night sleep.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I did not mean to imply that guns, or for that matter anything, is a sure thing as far as an investment goes (well except for Jesus).

I do understand the different situation you are in. I can not predict the future, but up till today guns have been a very good investment for me. I have also sold almost all that I owned several times and always made money on them ( but I did not live in NJ)

I bought a shotgun in Florida about 30 years ago for $160. I bought it because the FFL dealer had bought a lot of them and this was the last one, and he sold it to me for the special price that he got it for. It was a beautiful double barrel with German Silver receiver that retailed for $400. I would not have bought it for $400, but could not refuse the $160. Sold it less than a year later for $400 and had two neighbors arguing over it. I remember a pistol that I bought for $90 and sold it a short time later for $250. I bought it because of the price and it was a nice pistol.

I have never made a lot of money by selling them, but it has provided money for my family when I needed it the most. I have never had to ship one anywhere, but always sold to private individuals. But I do not buy what I want, but what I can get for a very good price.

Also I do not want to take any credit for being able to sell for more than I paid. I want to give all the thanks to The Lord Jesus for His taking care of me, as I am sure you do also.

I feel more comfortable saving guns than I do cash. I fear someday we will awake to find out that our money is worthless.

Of course there is a risk with anything. Hillary could get elected and confiscate them all.

Either way it is not of supreme importance. I have very little of any kind of goods and a total loss would not be great.
                            Last edited by Lou Newton; May 8, 2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X