Over 67,000 crimes a year are stopped by the presence of a firearm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 67,000 crimes a year are stopped by the presence of a firearm

Here are some statistics about shootings with firearms that were reported by a group that I have found pretty reliable:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...kly+Newsletter

1. Each year there are roughly 300-400 police officers that fire their weapons at a threat (source)

2. In an Officer’s career, there is a 12% chance that they will fire their weapon (source)

3. In 2012 the Violence Policy Center counted 259 justifiable homicides, where citizens defended themselves and killed their attacker. (source)

4. National Crime Victimization Survey estimates that about 67,740 times a year a crime is stopped by the presence of a firearm. (source)

I pray I am never in this statistic, but if I am . . . . so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen smith View Post
      I pray I am never in this statistic, but if I am . . . . so be it.
      Same here Glen.

BUT I already am in that number. I have brandished a pistol several times to save my life. When I drove for North American Van Lines, I carried thousands in cash and it was well known by some. I had a Browning High Power designed by John Browning in 9mm. It saved my life more than once. I am very thankful that the presence of that gun stopped the crime. I never had to fire it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Newton View Post

Same here Glen.

BUT I already am in that number. I have brandished a pistol several times to save my life. When I drove for North American Van Lines, I carried thousands in cash and it was well known by some. I had a Browning High Power designed by John Browning in 9mm. It saved my life more than once. I am very thankful that the presence of that gun stopped the crime. I never had to fire it.
        Your crime stops are not included in those statistics, so the 67K figure might be much higher. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Baruch View Post

Your crime stops are not included in those statistics, so the 67K figure might be much higher. :)
          You are correct, I never reported any of these events to any authority. I think it is possible that there are far more crimes stopped by the very presence, OR the fear that the intended victim might have a firearm, than anyone knows, except for our dear Lord.

Comment

Working...
          X